•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Monocular Question

equipment binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Den25

Den25

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX USA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

As some of you know, I'm trying to do more walking for my health.  I thought about walking down my street at dusk, when the stars start to come out, and depending on the light pollution, look at the sky

when I stop to rest.  I have my Celestron porros, but I'm wondering if maybe getting a monocular

would be a good idea.  Maybe something light, but would still catch the brighter stars and planets

as well as the moon.  I could have it strapped around my shoulders as I walk, then when I rest, 

I can pause and look up at the sky.  What do you think? Would it be worth it, or will my binos be OK?

Just trying to make walks less boring.

#2 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

I asked the same question not long ago.  The helpful folks in the binocular forum said that binoculars are far superior to a monocular.  Myself, being stubborn, purchased a monocular anyways.

After I had compared my monocular and binoculars, I was presented with one fact.  Binoculars are better than a monocular, and if your Celestrons are too big, smaller binoculars will provide more happiness than a monocular.  

If you do buy a monocular, get a low power one.  High powered monoculars have a dim image and a tiny field of view.

I carry a monocular in my backpack and use it on my lunch break to watch aircrafts overhead.  For astronomy, it is completely useless.

• Den25 and Augustus like this

#3 Den25

Den25

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

I asked the same question not long ago.  The helpful folks in the binocular forum said that binoculars are far superior to a monocular.  Myself, being stubborn, purchased a monocular anyways.

After I had compared my monocular and binoculars, I was presented with one fact.  Binoculars are better than a monocular, and if your Celestrons are too big, smaller binoculars will provide more happiness than a monocular.  

If you do buy a monocular, get a low power one.  High powered monoculars have a dim image and a tiny field of view.

I carry a monocular in my backpack and use it on my lunch break to watch aircrafts overhead.  For astronomy, it is completely useless.

So my Celestron 10x50 is OK, even if they're birding binos?

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

If what you are looking for is something lighter and more compact than your current binoculars I have two suggestions.  I used to own a Bushnell® 10x42 All-Purpose Binoculars which I loved for the views and light weight.  Everyone that tried them commented on the surprisingly bright, clear and sharp images; both daylight and night as well as dark sky and city.  What I currently own is the Polaris Optics Nature 10X50 Wide View Bird Watching Monocular, which I originally bought only to find objects in the night sky, but turned out to be a very convenient and easy to use monocular for casual back yard observing.  This one is also sharp and clear, giving good views.  I have used it to scan around Sagittarius and can easily see M22 in extremely heavy LP.  In daylight they perform well, especially for the price.  I like it because of the light weight and easy holding characteristics.

I have owned both larger and smaller binoculars and they were all nice.  But my two all time favorites were my 8x42 binos and the current 10x50mm monocular.  The binocular folded into a compact package while the monocular is a compact package.  Both carry comfortably in their supplied cases.  The Bushnell binos held up very well to abuse and never went out of collimation.  With the monocular collimation is a non-issue.  BTW, I no longer own the Bushnells because someone else thought they were nice and they disappeared when my truck was broken into.  BUMMER!

Decide what will serve you best for the use you want to give it.

Ed D

• Den25 likes this

#5 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

Yes.  My monocular is a birding model, too.  If you're happy with the views, weight, etc, what more could you ask for?

Ed D

• Den25 likes this

#6 Den25

Den25

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yes.  My monocular is a birding model, too.  If you're happy with the views, weight, etc, what more could you ask for?

Ed D

If what you are looking for is something lighter and more compact than your current binoculars I have two suggestions.  I used to own a Bushnell® 10x42 All-Purpose Binoculars which I loved for the views and light weight.  Everyone that tried them commented on the surprisingly bright, clear and sharp images; both daylight and night as well as dark sky and city.  What I currently own is the Polaris Optics Nature 10X50 Wide View Bird Watching Monocular, which I originally bought only to find objects in the night sky, but turned out to be a very convenient and easy to use monocular for casual back yard observing.  This one is also sharp and clear, giving good views.  I have used it to scan around Sagittarius and can easily see M22 in extremely heavy LP.  In daylight they perform well, especially for the price.  I like it because of the light weight and easy holding characteristics.

I have owned both larger and smaller binoculars and they were all nice.  But my two all time favorites were my 8x42 binos and the current 10x50mm monocular.  The binocular folded into a compact package while the monocular is a compact package.  Both carry comfortably in their supplied cases.  The Bushnell binos held up very well to abuse and never went out of collimation.  With the monocular collimation is a non-issue.  BTW, I no longer own the Bushnells because someone else thought they were nice and they disappeared when my truck was broken into.  BUMMER!

Decide what will serve you best for the use you want to give it.

Ed D

Thanks!  I'll check those out :)

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

I checked the weights of your 10x50 and the 8x42 binoculars, as well as the 10x50 monocular.  Your 10x50 are pretty light and are listed as 27oz.  The 8x42 are listed as 25.6oz, which is not much of a difference.  However, the 10x50 monocular is listed as 14oz, which is quite light.  It's something to consider.

Ed D

• Den25 and Augustus like this

#8 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

The Minox 8x25 Macroscope is 6oz. and has a lanyard attachment for wrist or neck strap. It is also threaded for tripod/monopod. I carry mine in a small pouch on my belt or on top a walking stick.

Packs in your pocket and fits in your palm. It can be held and focused with one hand. It works great inside. The optics are very good.

A monocular works better close up than a binocular. The Minox can be turned around and used as a true Macroscope for getting in very close.

Dereck
  • Den25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics