I have been working on the below listed project for about 6 months but the idea started during OSP 2015. Because I have enough work completed and some photos I can now post I wanted to start a post to share my work and receive constructive good or bad feedback.
BHMO Black Hole Mobile Observatory is a project to build a mobile 34” telescope that can be used at events all over the NW.
1. Obtain 34” Primary Mirror blank. DONE
2. Have mirror blank cut in half. DONE
3. Generate mirror blanks, one at F3.3 and the second one to be at F2.87 DONE
4. Have Fused Silica mirror blanks shipped to Mike Lockwood DONE
5. Design telescope based on the 34” by 2.3 inch figured to F2.89 INITIAL DRAWING DONE
6. Start to gather parts to build telescope Working on this
7. Find a 7.75 secondary 8 Inch cellular found. 8" cell DONE
8. Get Secondary polished and coated.
9. Create Facebook page to track project progress. DONE
10. With the support of RCA Work Shop http://www.rosecityastronomers.org/ start construction.
11. Work on Drive system with the help of Dan Gray sidereal technology
Alt bearing and Dec bearing found. Done
Make Direct drive motors, working on coils now.
First real telescope Mead 10” Reflector 1998
Built 12.5” Reflector using recycled parts 2000
Built Carbone Fiber supper light Reflector 31lbs 14.5” fused Quartz Mirror, Link to OSP http://bbastrodesign...eWalkabout.html
Built Carbon Fiber 20” super light reflector Link to Oregon Star Party OSP Walkabout.
Face Book Page information https://www.facebook...=PAGES_TIMELINE
Link to my 20" telescope build http://www.cloudynig...-carl-z-mirror/
PLANED USE OF THE BHMO:
High Schools and collages located in the North Western United States
RCA Rose city astronomy public star party’s
OMSI Star Party’s
Oregon Star Party
Privet Party events
Research trips for students
I have added some photos below and will add updates as time moves along.
Edited by noisejammer, 19 December 2016 - 11:07 AM.
requested by OP