•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Mallincam 4:3rds coming it seems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic

#126 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:15 AM

I highly doubt Rock is unaware of the scam. He used to design cameras. If folks in this forum can figure it out Rock can as well. Also Rock claims the features are unique to his camera (and that he invented many of them!). All it takes is a quick browse on Touptek website to figure that out. Nah.... Don't buy it. It is false deceptive marketing.

I was unaware Rock designed cameras.  I was under the impression that he has always modified cameras.  Mintron, LN-Tech, Tucsen, ToupTek. . .

He was certainly modifying analog cameras but I personally don't know of any major re-design or design from scratch which Rock ever did.  I'm not saying he didn't ever do it but rather that I don't know of it.

It wasn't too long ago that he indicated he would not be using CMOS sensors for DSO work because CCD was forever available and superior.  He now has to sell CMOS cameras.

When Sony announced their closing/phase-out of their CCD sensors it was pretty clear he didn't know about it (maybe not at all but certainly not in detail).  To me this would be rather odd if he were selecting sensors for his cameras and thus tracking the sensor market.

I don't at all claim to know exactly what Rock does, but to me the best fit with what I observe is that nowadays Rock still works some cooling issues on the CCD cameras but when it comes to CMOS he is mostly getting notices of new cameras from the various makers/distributors and then communicating regarding their features and how they can be made unique to Mallincam.  I think sometimes they tell him stuff that isn't true and that sometimes he just doesn't know it is untrue.

Heck, he still claims that one of his cameras is using a sCMOS sensor:  http://mallincam.tripod.com/id58.html  It is clearly untrue if you know anything about sensors.  It doesn't take an expert to know that it is not a sCMOS sensor.  If he were significant in the market someone might even go after him legally over the claim.  But in any case, we know it is the IMX035 sensor which is EXMOR and not sCMOS.  But it seems Tucsen called it sCMOS (they no longer do) and Rock still does along with at least one other re-seller ( http://industrialcam...noise-p-59.html ).  This fits (IMHO) with Rock simply not knowing his sensors and buying the line he is given by his camera suppliers.

Oh, well.  I don't know Rock and it may be that he is a genius at all this stuff and is coming up with bizarre claims which are readily falsified and then promulgating them in the belief that his customers will be forever unaware of some pretty obvious problems with the story.

I still think that sometimes Rock just doesn't know.  He should know but that doesn't mean he does.

#127 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

Probably some remembered the old story he resell Tucsen (or other mfr) CCD USB-based image camera using APS-C sized ICX413.  Then claimed it is a special part only designed for him that it has a metal heat spreader on the chip bottom-side and the part number ends with an "S" suffix.

Then it was pointed out all SONY ICX413 and ICX453 have such heat spreader, due to their high power consumption.

BTW, that "S" stands for engineering Samples, not "scientific" grade.

So the false claims were/are not just limited to CMOS based products.

(Oh, don't get me started on those patent claims.  Not even a patent filing number is disclosed.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 30 September 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#128 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

.. Or the Apple lawyers banging on his door telling him to stop putting features into MallincamSky.

About Mac. Engineers told me that Mac is very specific on how to handle video. Its their way (Mac) or the highway basically. Engineers must stick to Mac protocol and ways of doing things legally for Mac tight strict protocol.

Its more complicated than that I am afraid. They and I received a cease and desist order about Mac.
What we offer as a Mac software is what it is allowed legally.

#129 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Some of the ZWO cameras appear to be designed to specifically take advantage of having cooling added to them.

http://www.cloudynig...amera-asi224mc/

Notice the area under the sensor has been kept hollow. This of course is a much different chip than the ones used in the 1600 series cameras but it's obviously still a CMOS chip (and also uses LGA mounting). We should however, be careful extrapolating the mechanicals used for one chip onto another.  

Edited by mclewis1, 30 September 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#130 Censustaker

Censustaker

Apollo

• Loc: Utah

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

Heck, he still claims that one of his cameras is using a sCMOS sensor:  http://mallincam.tripod.com/id58.html  It is clearly untrue if you know anything about sensors.  It doesn't take an expert to know that it is not a sCMOS sensor.  If he were significant in the market someone might even go after him legally over the claim.  But in any case, we know it is the IMX035 sensor which is EXMOR and not sCMOS.  But it seems Tucsen called it sCMOS (they no longer do) and Rock still does along with at least one other re-seller ( http://industrialcam...noise-p-59.html ).  This fits (IMHO) with Rock simply not knowing his sensors and buying the line he is given by his camera suppliers.

My favourite part of that web page is:

Processing: None, other than Waverlets in RegiStax 5.0

#131 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

This has gone way off topic from a camera discussion and has devolved into a vendor discussion (it's more like a roast). In addition the camera is to be released soon according to the website. Lastly, this is an observing and equipment forum now, so observing reports are expected next or a hands on test report as the equipment aspect has been covered here. While I'm sure some get a kick out of all of this, we would like to raise the level of discourse here. Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics