•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you resist the urge to buy another refractor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#51 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

What's wrong..the XWs getting lonely for a Pentax scope?   We understand....

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

And consider a small scope is 14"-

Not really.  If you read this thread in the reflectors form, it seems that most consider a 12.5 inch to be the smallest big scope:

What size Dob do you consider to be the smallest "large" scope

In terms of pure resolving power, in terms of contrast transfer, Dave's 12.5 inch F/6.5 Zambuto has it over any 6 inch.  I would make the same claim about my 13.1 inch F/5.5 with the Royce mirror.. 

Jon

#53 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Having a 12.5" f/6.5 Lockwood/Teeter dob.

With respect, there is no refractor available in the consumer market at any price that will, 1) show as much detail and provide as much contrast transfer on planets and the moon, 2) split closer and fainter double stars and 3) be able to delve as deep into the deep sky as my Newt. And all with 100% perfect APOchromaticism....

Kind of makes me refractor proof....

Dave

Check out a good Lunt Engineering 152 on the moon sometime, and get back to me

Not sure if you are serious...  an f/7.9 ED doublet refractor of less than half the aperture?    I don't want to be dismissive, but...

Dave 

#54 MooEy

MooEy

Messenger

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Well, a 6" refractor may not have the resolving power of 12.5" dob, but once you hook up a camera to the refractor, the gap in light gathering power changes significantly. I think it's more about picking the right tool for the job. 

~MooEy~

#55 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Well, a 6" refractor may not have the resolving power of 12.5" dob, but once you hook up a camera to the refractor, the gap in light gathering power changes significantly. I think it's more about picking the right tool for the job. 

~MooEy~

A 6 inch ED doublet is not exactly a photographic lens.  

But all this is certainly about the right tool for the job.. Resolving power and aperture go hand in hand.  Light grasp and aperture go hand in hand.. 

The question here is how to resist buying another refractor.  Dave's answer and mine too: Realize that the scopes we already have are the right tools for the jobs we have for them.

Jon

#56 MooEy

MooEy

Messenger

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Let's just face it, you can't resist buying another refractor. 

Either

1. You are deep into loving exquisite and finely crafted telescopes that you would settle for nothing other than a refractor. That's probably why you are here in the first place. The simplicity of a finely crafted telescope that gives the highest level of performance for any given aperture. You need a bunch of refractors to meet your portability requirements, a small one for grab and go, a middle sized one for the usual nights and a really big one for those special moments. 

2. You use refractors for photography, in particular astrographs or high end apochromats with matched flatteners and reducers. You treat each scope as a completely different focal length and you need different focal lengths to match your objects. You probably need one of those 400-500mm focal lengths, one of those 600-800mm and one of those 1000-1200mm focal lengths. There's no way out, you just need a bunch of refractors to cover all these ranges and objects. 

3. You are a mix of the above 2 reasons. You are so deep into this that there's no longer any escape. You buy a scope for every purpose and would not settle for anything but the absolute finest. You find fault with every single scope that isn't sufficiently premium, including china made ED triplet apochromats that's imported, zygo tested and come with a test certificate. You are the very reason why the refractor forum exist in the first place. You pretty much live here, and continue to welcome newcomers...

4. You were just passing by to ask about some small achromat/ed refractor and suddenly you own half a dozen of apochromatic refractors. Your wife and your kids leave you. 

5. My C8/<insert whatever dob here> is better than your silly 4" refractor. Wakes up in hospital next morning after getting mobbed by swarms of refractor lovers. Proceed to find out about what's so great about refractors...

6. You dig thru 3 pages of post to find salvation and read this post. You decided that wife, kids, liver and kidneys isn't that important after all. 

~MooEy~ 

Edited by MooEy, 10 September 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#57 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Let's just face it, you can't resist buying another refractor. 

Either

You are too deep into loving exquisite and finely crafted telescopes that you would settle for nothing other than a refractor. That's probably why you are here in the first place. The simplicity of a finely crafted telescope that gives the highest level of performance for any given aperture. You need a bunch of refractors to meet your portability requirements, a small one for grab and go, a middle sized one for the usual nights and a really big one for those special moments. 

You use refractors for photography, in particular astrographs or high end apochromats with matched flatteners and reducers. You treat each scope as a completely different focal length and you need different focal lengths to match your objects. You probably need one of those 400-500mm focal lengths, one of those 600-800mm and one of those 1000-1200mm focal lengths. There's no way out, you just need a bunch of refractors to cover all these ranges and objects. 

~MooEy~ 

I think you were closer when you said it was about the right tool for the job.  A really big refractor is still a small telescope aperture-wise.  Owning several telescopes is useful but one needs both refractors and reflectors to meet one's requirements.  

Jon

#58 TH1

TH1

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

Observe, no photography here, the moon through a 6" frac and get back to me on that 😜

#59 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Observe, no photography here, the moon through a 6" frac and get back to me on that

How about:

Observe the moon, some globular clusters, some galaxies, some nebulae, some planets in a 25 inch and get back to me on that..

Jon

#60 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

Observe, no photography here, the moon through a 6" frac and get back to me on that

How about:

Observe the moon, some globular clusters, some galaxies, some nebulae, some planets in a 25 inch and get back to me on that..

​No, the moon should do fine. There is plenty of detail on the moon out of reach of a 6" refractor, that a larger reflector should capture.

#61 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

Easy , i spend too much on other stuff.

#62 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

For the first time in a VERY long time, I'm not lusting after another telescope, of any type or aperture.

Since the APM 152 f/7.9 ED joined my small cluster of telescopes, I feel like it has completed *my* ideal observing system, and I no longer feel a need for anything bigger or better.  I have all the aperture & visual capability I can really use well now (mostly constrained by my deteriorating lower back, rather than nerves of steel).  :gramps:  

I'm feeling peace in this respect for the first time I can recall. :D

#63 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

How do you resist the urge to buy another refractor?

I just don't.  Resistance is futile. :grin:

#64 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

...but I might sell a refractor to make way for the new one.

#65 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Scott
I hope to see your refractor next month. I'm offering the bottomless coffee as a bribe.

#66 TH1

TH1

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

A large dob need to be stopped down for decent moon? I know it has to be for planets.

I can't see it. The benefits of the subtle color on moon and planets can't be bested by reflective light.

#67 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

A large dob need to be stopped down for decent moon? I know it has to be for planets.

I can't see it. The benefits of the subtle color on moon and planets can't be bested by reflective light.

Uh...did you by any chance post this in the wrong thread? :scratchhead:

#68 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Scott
I hope to see your refractor next month. I'm offering the bottomless coffee as a bribe.

Sorry, but I just threw out this statement as an illustration of what typically happens for me.  I don't have any new scopes (well, except for a tiny vintage Tasco that arrived today, but I bought that not for the scope, but for some of the included accessories). 

#69 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

Let me clarify. Whatever refractor you happen to have with you at the time, I'd like to take a Look thru it.

Scott

Sorry, but I just threw out this statement as an illustration of what typically happens for me.  I don't have any new scopes (well, except for a tiny vintage Tasco that arrived today, but I bought that not for the scope, but for some of the included accessories).

Edited by The Ardent, 10 September 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#70 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

Let me clarify. Whatever refractor you happen to have with you at the time, I'd like to take a Look thru it.

Scott

Heck, I'll be there and you are always welcome to look through my scopes amigo...

Clear Skies,

Brian :snoopy:

#71 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

Say you have a five inch refractor....you see one for sale that you've always thought was cool....Pentax 125, FS128....but you already *have* a wonderful five inch apo,

how do you STOP from buying another?

Or you have great three, four, five inch refractors....and there's a 4.5 inch!  how do you STOP

Or you have an f/7.5 but always hankered for an f/6, how do you STOP

Or there's a 6 inch, you know you wouldn't use it much, but you find yourself plotting to sell your current refractors in order to buy it...how do you STOP

TV's boring, it' s a cloudy night and full moon, and you are cruising astromart for refractors how do you STOP

Wish I had an answer for you, I can't turn around here without tripping over one of those things (seven or so at last count) :scratchhead:

Clear Skies,

#72 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

I'm pretty sure this or Yuri's big gun would scratch the itch and give me some peace...

My Dream Scope.jpg

This is a total pipe dream of course :lol:

Clear Skies,

#73 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Oh it would scratch the itch, all right.  But only because I'd have no disposable income left, and my wife would ban me from ever buying another scope again! :lol:

#74 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Well, I'm happy enough with my ST80, 120ST, and C80ED. If I bought another toy now it would be a Fender Telecaster.

#75 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

What is this "resist" you speak of?

Edited by BigC, 10 September 2016 - 08:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics