•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco 10TE

classic
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 fburg69

fburg69

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:24 AM

Hi I am looking for help on information on the Tasco 10TE I got it a while back I have a few pic to show.

Attached Thumbnails

• tasco 10TE 1.jpg

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Try the instruction booklet in the pic. I've had few they're pretty good scopes.

#3 fburg69

fburg69

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

Here is a pic of the searial # and I found a sales recript for187.15 not sure of date but it looks like oct-13-49 does this sound right

Attached Thumbnails

• tasco10TE.jpg
  • re.jpg

#4 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

Not 40's or 50's, early 60's.

You have an all wood box, but I'm not sure if these came with Styrofoam later.
You also have the azm. setting circle on the mount hub which would be slightly later than the earliest versions. These are great scopes.
Stargoat could probably look at your pictures and date the scope fairly close, give you information not shown like the box label, and knowing him he might be able to give you the shoe size of the assistant to the assembly person at the plant.

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:45 AM

Here is a pic of the searial # and I found a sales recript for187.15 not sure of date but it looks like oct-13-49 does this sound right

I seriously doubt it is from 1949. Japan was still mostly bombed out cities after the war in 49. Looks like something from the 60s.

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

Looks like a Royal Astro from 1970

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

Welcome to the Classics!

You have an early 1960s Astro Optical (Tokyo) 76x1200 refractor.  Assuming the lens is in good shape, you'll be very pleased with the views.  Yours looks near 100% complete, and I see it has the cradle brace -- don't see many of those.  Does it have the wood tripod and accessory tray?

#8 fburg69

fburg69

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

I do believe I have everything except the lens caps for the spotter scope lenses are in good shape little dusty.I want to thank everybody for the help

Attached Thumbnails

• tasco 10TE 2.jpg

#9 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Nice Man Cave , KooL Scope ! :waytogo: Oh , and lest I forget , Welcome to the " Classic Zone "  :lol: 

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 11 September 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#10 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have one that is similar #271841, wood box, 7 eyepiece tray, no styrofoam. There's a thread a year or two back about the interesting way the setting circles work....I still haven't really tried them.

Get some good EP's and you will be very pleased.

Those slo mo rods do tend to create some vibration when you use them.

I think yours is one of the most complete older versions I can recall seeing posted.

#11 fjs

fjs

Cosmos

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

The first digit in the serial number indicates the year. It would have been helpful if they had used the first two digits for that. :lol: It is apparently a 1960 model.

The receipt does appear to be dated 47 or 49, which would either mean it has nothing to do with the telescope or is mis-marked.

Those are great telescopes.

Welcome aboard!

#12 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Welcome! 

Now run!  :lol:

As some others have already stated the label indicates 1960. IIRC the 10te telescope hit the market in 1959.

Here is mine. The serial numbers indicate that yours is 14 telescopes older than mine. Might have been assembled on the same day. Hopefully not a Monday, or Friday.

Yours has the older mount with the one securing bolt on the cuff that attaches the tube (I don't like to use the words clam shell around optics)  While I was packing up a different, slightly newer 10te to give to an online friend I swapped mounts and I kept the smoothest moving one... the two bolt version.

I would like to retrieve the mount with one bolt but not long after I sent the scope away, the new owner traded it for some money and weed to another fellow who was soon after the "sale" arrested and his truck and contents (telescope) were confiscated by the Poway police. Apparently he was wanted for nefarious acts other than star gazing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.jpg
  • 0.jpg
  • 0.jpg

Edited by strdst, 11 September 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Y'all!  Got all these Registered.  These A-O 76s are fine examples of Classic refractors.  Please keep the eye candy coming!

#14 fburg69

fburg69

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

I want to thank everyone again for all the help

#15 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:23 AM

Out of roughly 15+ known 10TE scopes that have serial numbers with 070XXX, these are the first version of the 10TE scopes that have the long rough focus pull tube. These scopes match the ©1960 Tasco Sales Brochure which I believe is introducing the Tasco lineup for either their 1960 or even their 1961 models depending on how we interpret the ©1960 date. Reason I mention this is that the ©1961 Tasco Sales Brochure advertises "All New for '62". Thus it's hard to know exactly when the models listed in each brochure were in dealer inventories or Tasco headquarters in Miami for that matter. I like to believe that Tasco had their newest models on store shelves by the Holiday season in time for Xmas. But I'm sure that was not always the case.

So getting back on point :), I wished that I would have posted on this scope earlier to try and get some more information about this 10TE. Strdst might have noticed a resemblance to his 10TE he posted above. Specifically I'm talking about the layout of the wooden box on the lower LH side. This is the storage area for the dew shield. Also I can only guess that the CW and rod must have been stored inside the dew shield using a similar concept as the first 10TE version possibly using two wooden support pieces affixed with two small rods.

Also in the posters photo, the inner storage accessory box layout for the focuser assembly also matches the 10TE assembly diagram as well with respect to how the diagonal and erecting prism are stored. The wood dividers for these two parts are laid out differently than on all the other 10TEs best I can recall.

To my knowledge, this is the ONLY 10TE serial no 070166 that I've seen which has the exact layout of the wooden box assembly diagram. The one strdst owns serial number 070180 also matches the storage area for the dew shield, but not the inner accessory box. If I'm wrong strdst, please let me know.

Look at the reference photos to help illustrate what I'm trying to describe.

BTW, if anyone might have contacted the orig poster, PM me as I'm trying to contact him to get more information on his scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10TE Wooden Box Lower LH Side Matches 10TE Upper Lid Diagram.jpg
  • Tasco 10TE Original Assembly Diagram_.jpg
  • Tasco 10TE Original Assembly Diagram_Inner Box Layout.jpg
  • Tasco 10TE Wood Box Interior Layout_Common Layout.JPG

#16 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

Hey, I have one of these wood boxes here. The picture triggered a definite image of that.
That means I probably have another OTA in there which explains the two mounts I am/was working on. One mount for the shattered lens job (I broke it), and another mount in the basement. The box is rough as I recall and will take some hefty digging to get it out. I know it's all wood inside, but I'm not sure which version it is in the left side. I have to be careful about what I dig out or start. Sometimes Merry has to shoe horn me into staying on track. The shattered lens thing has been propped in a corner untouched so maybe I can get that box out for a little more progress on a stagnant one.

#17 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Y'all!  Got all these Registered.  These A-O 76s are fine examples of Classic refractors.  Please keep the eye candy coming!

'59 and '60. '60 number between OP's and Keith's.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0035 (640x480).jpg

Edited by greju, 19 September 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#18 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Greju, I don't recall seeing the wooden box layouts for either of your two scopes pictured above in the archives. If you have the boxes for them, would be curious to see what the layouts are.

As you mention, your 970465 10TE dates from 1959/60 time frame. These first 10TEs have the large black inner draw tube that allows the complete rack and pinion assembly to slide in and out for quick rough focus. These have been found so far on serial numbered scopes from 970071 thru 970605 to date. Were these all mfg in 1959 for Tasco and sold into the 1960 time frame, it is possible. Off hand, I've never come across any other brand of RAO 76.2mm x 1200mm that has this feature. Strongly believe it was a product that was exclusively a Tasco product.

The lowest serial number 10TE known is 970071. It is sans the RAO stamp which cross referenced with 7TE scopes sans the RAO stamp that are known to be from at least as old as May 1959. That gives a possible ref point that the first 10TEs that Tasco sold in the USA date back to the mid 1950s.

Your 070174 10TE has the chrome long rough focus pull tube which was the second generation of the 10TE advertised in the ©1960 brochure. All of the other offered brands of RAO scopes with 07XXXX serial numbers have this same feature for the 76.2mm x 1200mm model. Just when these were produced, again as you mention...most of us consider these to be 1960 models. The majority of the 07XXXX scopes have the hollowed out pinion knob design which strdst shows in his photos. These were superseded by the flat faced pinion knobs when the 17XXXX scopes came out next, again sometime when the 1961 assumed models were introduced. Of course there are exceptions to be found for all these years albeit inventory or whatnot.

#19 fburg69

fburg69

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

Hay Stargoat I started this post if there is any information you might need just let me know. I am new to this site don't know how to pm but I am fburg69

#20 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

Greju, I don't recall seeing the wooden box layouts for either of your two scopes pictured above in the archives. If you have the boxes for them, would be curious to see what the layouts are.

As you mention, your 970465 10TE dates from 1959/60 time frame. These first 10TEs have the large black inner draw tube that allows the complete rack and pinion assembly to slide in and out for quick rough focus. These have been found so far on serial numbered scopes from 970071 thru 970605 to date. Were these all mfg in 1959 for Tasco and sold into the 1960 time frame, it is possible. Off hand, I've never come across any other brand of RAO 76.2mm x 1200mm that has this feature. Strongly believe it was a product that was exclusively a Tasco product.

The lowest serial number 10TE known is 970071. It is sans the RAO stamp which cross referenced with 7TE scopes sans the RAO stamp that are known to be from at least as old as May 1959. That gives a possible ref point that the first 10TEs that Tasco sold in the USA date back to the mid 1950s.

Your 070174 10TE has the chrome long rough focus pull tube which was the second generation of the 10TE advertised in the ©1960 brochure. All of the other offered brands of RAO scopes with 07XXXX serial numbers have this same feature for the 76.2mm x 1200mm model. Just when these were produced, again as you mention...most of us consider these to be 1960 models. The majority of the 07XXXX scopes have the hollowed out pinion knob design which strdst shows in his photos. These were superseded by the flat faced pinion knobs when the 17XXXX scopes came out next, again sometime when the 1961 assumed models were introduced. Of course there are exceptions to be found for all these years albeit inventory or whatnot.

I remember when I first posted this picture Mikey thought I was trying to pull a fast one.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0006 (320x240).jpg

#21 Stargoat

Stargoat

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hay Stargoat I started this post if there is any information you might need just let me know. I am new to this site don't know how to pm but I am fburg69

Welcome aboard fburg69. Glad to hear back from you.

See you PM'd me...thks. Will send some ref photos to you.

These 070XXX Tasco 10TE scope are in the transition period between the 1959/60 to the 1960 versions. Certain features such as the engraved magnification on the eyepieces were not carried over. Since the style of the focuser draw tube was changed now using the smaller diameter chrome rough focus tube, the travel of the micro rack and pinion was shortened to less than 2 inches. The bare optical tube was actually now longer with this change. See greju ref photo above of the two different scopes.

But now as I mentioned earlier, it appears that all the RAO branded R-74 scopes ended up like this. The wooden box was revised and standardized as well for this model and would stay the same until the Styrofoam Insert boxes replaced this version.

As far as I know, only Tasco used the glossy assembly diagram that was taped inside the upper lid for all of these non Styro fitted wooded boxes.....roughly covering the years from 1960 thru 1965.

It looks to me like Tasco used what was a prototype or pre-production version of the new 10TE for 1960 when the photographs were taken for the diagram. So I feet the inner box layout was pre-producion as well....but now we know that there actually were 10TE's packed in this style of box. So it must of been used until the first revision and or the production storage box came into being. The 15 step by step description of how to assemble the telescope comes directly out of the 10TE Instruction Booklet.

More on the instruction booklets later, but fburg69 the one that came with your 10TE has a cover that appears to be revised to me because it has the full address listed underneath "Tasco Sales Company". The other two known versions of this style of the 10TE manual DO NOT have the full address. One has only Miami, Florida for the last line and the other has Minami, Florida....yes the spelling is incorrect. Again more on these instruction booklets to estimate which ones may have been printed first.

To help clarify the three styles of wooden box interior layouts that I've been trying to describe, here are marked up photos to hopefully help illustrate better.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tasco 10TE Wood Box Interior_Ser No 070166__.jpg
  • Wood Box Interior Layout_Ser No 070180_strdst_.jpg
  • Tasco 10TE Wood Box Interior_Ser No 271812 REG NO 310600___.jpg

Edited by Stargoat, 19 September 2016 - 11:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics