•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where can I find a part for a Tasco 9F?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Fl.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hello fellow classic telescope owners! I have recently become very interested in classic scopes. After scopesitting my neighbor's Tasco 11TR, I have become addicted! I have very little knowledge about astronomy and telescopes, I just know that I love them and want to learn more lol. I have been collecting classics lately which brings me here to get information. I am working on a Tasco 9F right now and need to locate the rod that moves the scope up and down. I have the rod but the part that bolts onto the scope and screws into the rod is broken, I can post a picture later of the part. If anyone can guide me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it thanks! 

Edited by Bigern, 13 September 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#2 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

I'd look for an inexpensive used yoke mounted 60mm on Craigslist or Ebay and use its mount to repair yours. If not check out Bill Vorce at Telescope Warehouse. He usually sells lots of parts.
http://shop.telescope-warehouse.com/

• The_Vagabond likes this

#3 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for the response! I have checked that site already with no luck. I think I'll do as you suggested and get a cheap parts scope for spares, just means another scope lol.

#4 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

Give Don a call       http://www.astronomy...o.parts.outlet/

#5 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Give Don a call       http://www.astronomy...o.parts.outlet/

Will do thank you!

#6 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Apollo

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:52 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...5EAAOSwENxXnSZT

Is this the part you need?

#7 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:53 AM

Another resource is to take a pic of what you need and post a wanted ad here on the Cloudynights Classifieds.

Having posted on this forum may also chase one from out of the shrubbery (trans.: a member here may offer one to you).

• BarabinoSr likes this

#8 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...5EAAOSwENxXnSZT

Is this the part you need?

Yup that would be the part thanks!

#9 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it! I ended up getting a spare parts scope and pulled the piece that I needed. It's complete now. I spent hours cleaning, waxing, and polishing every inch of it. It looks brand new! I have to take pictures and show you guys, I am really happy how it turned out.

#10 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Here it is after the clean up. Thanks again for all the help! I think it looks amazing for something that was made back in the 80's. I'm in love with this scope! As you can see, my place is small. These scopes are starting to become a real problem lol.

DSCN5205_zpsiovt12kt.jpg

DSCN5201_zpsebyddzo3.jpg

DSCN5200_zps3rnvi3fg.jpg

• GeneDiG, tnakazon, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

Looking sharp!  The red & black Tasco's are nostalgic for me - my high school colors -- Go Bearcats!!

#12 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Bob! I spent hours bringing it back to life, but I enjoyed every minute of it. The red and black Tascos are my favorite, I want them all! Red, black, and silver were my high school colors.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:56 AM

Looks great! I call it "Hot Rod Red".

I'm doing a similar restore on an early 80's 9F - I'm looking for the crazy inline finder (the scope I inherited does not have one, so I'm stuck with a hole in the middle of my main tube!) If anyone knows where I could find one of those, I'm all ears...

BTW there is an IMPORTANT fix for these early 9Fs - as it turns out they are all aperture stopped at the factory down to 50mm! Another thread on this site explains how to fix that problem to open the primary from the stopped down 50mm to it's full 60mm aperture - that's a 30% improvement in light collection!  And it's a fairly easy fix, which gives a noticeably increase in brightness, check it out...

• Bigern likes this

#14 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

It looks as good as new. I remember the red Tasco telescopes lineup in a local photography store back in the 80s. They had the refractors and reflectors. Enjoy it!

Guido

• Bigern likes this

#15 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

I  just listed a Tasco 9F F=800mm, excellent cond.

You can't post your own ads in the forum.  That telescope is worth under $50 in perfect condition, especially with the extremely poor original tubular metal legs.  Others will gladly chime in about value.

link to ad

Edited by apfever, 17 November 2020 - 06:47 PM.

• danielgolite, mdowns, Garyth64 and 1 other like this

#16 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:00 PM

"BTW there is an IMPORTANT fix for these early 9Fs - as it turns out they are all aperture stopped at the factory down to 50mm!"

There is a reason that was done at the factory.  The lens is probably not very good, so to cut down on the SA, they reduced the aperture.  Removing the 50mm aperture, will most likely increase the SA that is seen.

Edited by Garyth64, 18 November 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#17 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

Bonus points for having the light pen. Double if it works.

I had the same scope for a while last year, nothing wrong with it but I had too many the same size.

#18 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

Bonus points for having the light pen. Double if it works.

I had the same scope for a while last year, nothing wrong with it but I had too many the same size.

So it was a 60mm stopped down to 50mm?

#19 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

This was my first classic scope and I still have it. I put an electric focuser on it and it works great. The light pen actually still works! I ended up buying another one to use for parts to make one perfect one. I doubt I will ever get rid of it. I never touched the original inside of the scope, it is as it came and the images are great. On another note, the lens from the parts scope seems to have a double image, could not figure out why, good thing the original lens is perfect!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics