•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Starizona Hyperstar with Celestron Nexstar 6 SE

accessories beginner Celestron SCT
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 roelb

roelb

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

Hello,

I've purchased a Hyperstar for my Nexstar 6 SE.

Intended to observe wider field objects (emission nebulae) with my Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 mono,

using Paul Shears' StarLight Live software.

Q: Some important tips & good to known facts about this <EAA-equipment-combo>?

Hardware (manipulation, collimation. focusing, ...) and software tips are welcome.

So, as to avoid as many as possible "newbie-mistakes".

Thanks a lot in advance for your tips & tricks.

#2 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

The Hyperstar is very easy to use. My only comment is that the pixel size of the lodestar will result in significant undersampling but it should still be an enjoyable setup.

#3 Dom543

Dom543

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Congratulations Roel!

300mm is a very useful focal length for nebulae with the Lodestar.

I use an old camera lens to cover that focal length but Don Rudny has a C6SE with Hyperstar and he is very happy with it. I am sure he will chime in.

To me the first trick to figure out would be how to attach filters. The second to find a good consistent way to handle the cable to the camera. Sorry that I cannot help with the hardware side.

Enjoy, I am sure that you will have a lot of fun!

Clear Skies!

--Dom

Edited by Dom543, 13 September 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#4 roelb

roelb

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

The Hyperstar is very easy to use. My only comment is that the pixel size of the lodestar will result in significant undersampling but it should still be an enjoyable setup.

Next investment will probably be a Ultrastar or Infinity... :bawling:

#5 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

Roel, you should also consider some of the newer CMOS cameras. The smaller pixels are a good match for the C6 Hyperstar. In fact DSLRs are also a very good match but the obstruction will be too large.

#6 Alex Parker

Alex Parker

Ranger 4

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Next investment will probably be a Ultrastar or Infinity... :bawling:

Great choice of equipment!  If you don't already have it, I would suggest the Hyperstar filter drawer as a good purchase.  Those emission nebulae benefit from narrowband filters.  With the small image circle of the Hyperstar 6, you can get away with less expensive 1.25".  Be sure to get "wide" narrowband, like 10-12 nm bandpass, so you don't cut off too much light due to the wavelength "shift" of the steep f/2 light cone.  Your camera upgrade path should either be the Ultrastar, as you note, or a small ZWO or QHY cam with very small pixels (to address the pixel scale issue that Hiten raised).  The Infinity is too large and rectangular to put in front of a C6.

#7 roelb

roelb

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Hiten, Dom, Alex.

It seems that my 6 SE isn't Hyperstar compatible (no "Fastar").

So, I have canceled the Hyperstar order.

To achieve my initial goal <observe wider field objects (emission nebulae...)> I now consider to purchase an Atik Infinity colour.

I've read a CN-thread about stacking a /6.3 FR with a .5 x FR to achieve f/2.9, allowing some vignetting.

Using the 6" OTA this results in a FOV = 70' x 52'.

The resolution (for ICX 825) is then 3 arcs/pixel, which I think is within the allowed maximum for normal seeing conditions.

Undersampling will be limited and perhaps allowable for nebulae?

Another consideration: a Lodestar doesn't clear the base of my 6 SE.

Will this be a path to go?

Thanks in advance for advice.

#8 42itous1

42itous1

Viking 1

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi Roel,

Sorry to hear your plan isn't working (yet).  I'm sure one of the gurus will give you good advice.  You will definitely reach your goals I'm sure. :)

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Hiten, Dom, Alex.

Roel,

The C6s secondary mirror holders don't say fastar on them but they usually have a thin ring that unthreads so you can remove the secondary mirror and install a Hyperstar. The ring is small, has only small ridges and not at all obvious. 

Edited by mclewis1, 16 September 2016 - 07:55 PM.

#10 roelb

roelb

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Hiten, Dom, Alex.

Roel,

The C6s secondary mirror holders don't say fastar on them but they usually have a thin ring that unthreads so you can remove the secondary mirror and install a Hyperstar. The ring is small, has only small ridges and not at all obvious. 

Thanks a lot Mark, I will check on the OTA.

#11 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

Roel,

What Mark wrote is true.  All 6 SE's are HS compatible.  My friend and I each recently purchase one and they were both compatible.

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics