•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to Split Antares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

I found focusing on Jupiter first helped.  It wasn't hard to see with a full Moon and very good seeing with a 7XW in my IM717D mak at 420X with the companion a pretty light blue to the left and a little down from center of Antares.  It was on the defraction ring which made it a little trickier to spot. I'm as far south as you can get on the USA west coast. David

Edited by dscarpa, 17 July 2019 - 11:38 AM.

#27 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

Antares B was a fairly easy target through an old 22" Starmaster Dob from the Bolivian Altiplano at latitude 16 degrees south back in 2004.  It appeared to be quite green in hue.

I've seen it a few times from the northern hemisphere, once with an 80mm aperture, but don't remember the particulars.

Dave Mitsky

#28 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

Just thought I'd chime in here...I once was just getting my AP 7" Starfire setup in early evening some years back and by accident spotted Antares and its beautiful green companion. It was early evening and I think I was actually trying to sweep to the moon or one of the planets (not looking for Antares at all).

Caught it at a perfect time in terms of sky background mitigating primary glare without washing out the companion.

Never managed to repeat that view. Some things are magical and just meant to remain that way.

#29 payner

payner

Soyuz

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

On 19/07/13 I had the opportunity to observe Antares A and B under nearly 5/5 seeing by my estimation. I cleanly split the components with my 130-mm refractor and a 5-mm LE eyepiece. The B star was on the West of Antares, my estimated PA was a little over 270 degrees. The companion shade I called a muted cream.

Randy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics