•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunt 50 DS with WO Binoviewer - Like a new scope!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nickatnight

nickatnight

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Clarita, CA (LA Suburbs)

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

I finally figured out how to get the William Optics Binoviewer to come to focus with my Lunt 50 DS. I put the WO 1.6x barlow that comes with the binoviewer on the telescope end of the Lunt B600 diagonal. It threads right on. Then I put the WO 2.0x binoviewer barlow on the nose of the binoviewer, and with the WO 20mm eyepieces that come with the binoviewer, I got a melon sized contrasty disk. I did have to slide the Lunt B600 diagonal out of the focuser a bit, but had the added length of the barlow on the end. This made for some heavy sag, so I added an eyepiece holder extension with t-thread to the focusers eyepiece holder on the rear of the Lunt 50 tube. This got rid of any sag from the extra weight and made a more solid tube connection where I slide the diagonal out. With the barlow there, it's long enough the be held by the front original eyepiece compression ring, and the rear add'l compression ring added with the extension. Very solid, and got rid of sag to the point I couldn't lift any without the whole scope lifting. Disk was amazing, and came on-band across the surface, although there was still a primo sweet spot where I'd put my target of observation. The sweet spot had such fine detail and contrast at a big scale for this little scope. And there was an beautiful arching filaprom that started on the disk and arched all the way over and back down to the limb. It was very 3D. Can't wait for tomorrow to continue this new experience. It's so comfortable viewing and with such detail, the scope just got another star from me. When that Feather-touch focuser arrives, I think it'll be a 5 star solar scope in my book, or at least a lot closer to it. Let me mention this method worked without the 2.0x barlow on the binoviewer nose, but the sweet spot and scale became so impressive, I recommend adding it even with it's bit of extra cost, which isn't too much for the added pleasure.

Here's the binoviewer setup...

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

• BYoesle, Paul Hyndman, Live_Steam_Mad and 4 others like this

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thanks, been looking forward to your results. I had everything, except the 2.0x barlow, but since you mentioned it still worked without it, I gave it a go. Eye-placement is a bit finicky, but once it's set, it's a pleasure to use. Definitely needs a chair to for maximum pleasure. No proms today, but surface detail much easier to see with the binoviewers. As expected with the additional elements, the image was slightly darker (especially since I had the doublestack on as well), but not a big deal.

IMG_20160917_115254.jpg

• Live_Steam_Mad and saguaro like this

#3 nickatnight

nickatnight

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

That's great. Glad you got it working. I use an adjustable observing chair and it makes a huge difference to comfort when observing, as well as assists in eye placement. I also use an observing hood to cut out light and give great contrast. At a minimum drap a dark t-shirt over the bino viewer and bunch it up around your eyes when viewing. And I do believe the 2.0x Barlow makes the view twice as impressive, and a size where you can study the details.

#4 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

That's great. Glad you got it working. I use an adjustable observing chair and it makes a huge difference to comfort when observing, as well as assists in eye placement. I also use an observing hood to cut out light and give great contrast. At a minimum drap a dark t-shirt over the bino viewer and bunch it up around your eyes when viewing. And I do believe the 2.0x Barlow makes the view twice as impressive, and a size where you can study the details.

I have a starbound that I use with it. Definitely like the t-shirt idea as the light at the sides of my eyes is annoying. I have a 2x oca that I'll see if it works. Does the disk still fit entirely in the fov with the 2x barlow?

#5 nickatnight

nickatnight

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

Yes. The full disk still fits comfortably with a 2x. I'm sure some other eyepieces can work too for different views, but I'm limited in my pairs. My TV 8mm plossls are a bit much and narrow. And the 32mm TV plossls I've never liked in the bino viewer. Those and the 20mm WO pair is all I've got. Had some nice views earlier today, but still a rather quiet sun. Things turned a bit flat in the afternoon heat though.
  • Cometeer likes this

#6 Anthony M

Anthony M

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

I know it’s an old post, but I just figured out that the 1.6 X Barlow that comes with the Williams Binoviewer focuses just fine with the Lunt LT50 if you simply put it in front of the blocking filter. There’s no need for extra support and there’s enough nose to go into the scope’s helical focuser to hold it.

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

I know it’s an old post, but I just figured out that the 1.6 X Barlow that comes with the Williams Binoviewer focuses just fine with the Lunt LT50 if you simply put it in front of the blocking filter. There’s no need for extra support and there’s enough nose to go into the scope’s helical focuser to hold it.

But is the heat going to ruin the 1.6X OCS? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics