•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Pro-Optic 90mm f.5.6 Maksutov

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody has played with one of these. This is the first Mak that I know of with a focal length under 1000mm.I use my ETX90 as spotting scope and I just bought an Orion ST80 for wide field views, but this Mak looks like it could substitute the two scopes.

Thanks

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:41 AM

From what I understand it was orginally designed as a telephoto lens. Being f/5.6, the central obstruction is quite large. There is a review here on Cloudy Nights:

http://www.cloudynig...views2/mc90.htm

#3 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:10 PM

I have a Synta MC90 Mak here borrow from my friend.

The optic isn't bad. It's very very compact. Its length (without the visual back) is just the same length of my hand.

As for the central obstruction, you will see a bit of it when using very long focal length (25mm and up) eyepiece. As long as you are using 20mm or shorter fl eyepieces you wont see that at all. Since it's a short focal length scope a 20mm eyepiece gives you a very nice wide angle view (I use the Skywatcher 20mm 66-degree eyepiece by the way).

I am still thinking if I should bug my friend to sell it to me or not (as I already posted an ad on eBay for him already)

Here's the pic, the scope in the middle is the one. See? It's very small, especially when in between two bigger brothers.

Posted Image

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 02 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

I owned 3: one was defective, the other 2 I made into binoculars. When that didn't work well, I kept one (the best one). Optically, it was so-so, and couldn't really take powers over 100 well. As a spotting scope, it was terrible, since the large center obstruction was an appreciable percentage of my daylight pupil diameter. At night, the optical quality just wasn't there. I replaced it with an Orion 127mm Mak and realized what I had been missing.
Frankly, it's not even a good telephoto lens because of field curvature. A FAR better small scope is a short refractor of similar diameter.
Don

#5 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:25 AM

Hi Starman. I guess you are encountering the QC problem that plagues many Synta scopes.

The one I have here actually does a pretty decent job. Of course it isn't good when the power is above 100x. But under this power the image is absolutely fine.

Compare to the Skywatcher 80mm short refractor (400mm f.l.) I used to have. The refractor is just absolutely terrible due to the extreme false color AT ANY POWER. While this little Mak doesn't suffer this problem (at under 100x)

The focuer knob of this little Mak is very stiff compare to the new Skywather/Orion Maks currently available.

I decided to take scope from my friend. And I added a right angle (very small one) finder by using strong sticky tape.

Due to some "accident" I got one EQ-1 mount for free. Now I have a whole package for $145 CDN (which includes zoom eyepiece and diagonal). Not too bad.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics