•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky & Telescope Complete DVD Set Not Working

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

It looks like my S&T DVD set has stopped working. I have been using it from a portable hard drive. I have Safari for Windows 5.1.7 set up to use only as a local browser.

safari-dropdown.jpg

Menu Bar Setup in Safari

I am using Windows 10 on my laptop. I have tried Firefox 48.0.2 and Microsoft Edge 26.10586.0.0 neither work. They all worked last week. I tried moving the folder to the local drive, same result. I have cleared the cache and cookies too. I have tried using the DVD set from the DVD drive, same result.

They all load the main index.html (Menu for Issues) but when I click on a year and then choose a month then choose "Click Here to Read Issue" the issue stops at “Loading…”. I have turned off my anti-virus software, my NoScript and AdBlock Plus in Firefox none of this worked.

safari-st-menu-2.jpg

1940s Menu for Issues

safari-menu-3.jpg

1941 Issue front page

safari-st-menu-4.jpg

"Loading.." page after picking any individual issue

The main page for the issue has stopped working.

I sent an email to S&T this afternoon but thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks for your help,

Edited by Carl Kolchak, 21 September 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#2 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

Hi Carl,

Recent purchase here. Just opened and tried the same disk, and got the results you are showing.

It seems to try to load for a while then the disk stops spinning.

Just to be clear, you say your DVD's were working fine, and then stopped working?

Me: Mac OS 10.10.5  I tried Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome, same results for all.

Uninstalled Flash and reinstalled it since installing and/or updating Flash seems to be the only thing mentioned in their troubleshooting section.

No change.

Totally bummed out. Hope there is a fix.

#3 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi Carl,

Recent purchase here. Just opened and tried the same disk, and got the results you are showing.

It seems to try to load for a while then the disk stops spinning.

Just to be clear, you say your DVD's were working fine, and then stopped working?

Me: Mac OS 10.10.5  I tried Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome, same results for all.

Uninstalled Flash and reinstalled it since installing and/or updating Flash seems to be the only thing mentioned in their troubleshooting section.

No change.

Totally bummed out. Hope there is a fix.

Hi p51son,

You are correct. It was working up until the weekend. I use the DVD set every week. I noticed it yesterday when trying to look up an article.

I checked my updates on Windows 10 last night. There was a security update to Adobe Flash 09/21/2016 (https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3188128). This may be the cause.

We may need to roll back to an older version of Flash to get it working right again and hope Adobe will fix whatever is broken.

Once you get it working you will love the DVD set.

thanks for your reply,

#4 JRG2

JRG2

Vostok 1

• Loc: Millington, TN

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Sometimes when security issues are discovered in Adobe Flash, which is frequent, browsers will block it until a fix is rolled out. Sometimes they block old versions on a long term basis. Can you view videos on YouTube? If you can then it might be an older version being blocked. If you can find a version number then you might be able to check to see if it is being blocked.

Another option might be to try using the browser in off line mode.

If the content is only accessible using Flash then access may be sporadic indefinitely.

#5 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

Sometimes when security issues are discovered in Adobe Flash, which is frequent, browsers will block it until a fix is rolled out. Sometimes they block old versions on a long term basis. Can you view videos on YouTube? If you can then it might be an older version being blocked. If you can find a version number then you might be able to check to see if it is being blocked.

Another option might be to try using the browser in off line mode.

If the content is only accessible using Flash then access may be sporadic indefinitely.

Hi JRG2,

Both Adobe Reader and Flash were up to date. That was the problem. The update broke the DVD set for me. Yes I could view Youtube without problems.

#6 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I did hear back from S&T product support and they seem to know about the problem but I was not happy with their fix, rather clunky.

"We have determined the issue with the CD is a conflict with Adobe Reader 10.1.2."

I was using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2015.017.20053 on Windows 10.

After some trial and error I was able to get the DVD set working. I'm using Windows 10 so your mileage may vary:

I rolled back Adobe Reader to Adobe Reader XI and Flash Player to version 22.0.0.209. You can do a Google search for "older versions of acrobat reader windows 10" and "older versions of adobe flash".  Of course you will use your operating system for the search. The adobe.com site has a list of older applications. Beware there may be security concerns using the older versions. I usually only surf large sites so I think I'll be safe for now. I can't see myself not being able to use the DVD set again.

I had to uninstall Flash and restart my PC and uninstall Adobe Reader and restart. Then I installed Flash and Adobe Reader, restarted the PC and both the files on the portable drive and the DVD work.

Now I'm happy.

• mclewis1 likes this

#7 JRG2

JRG2

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Glad to hear you got a response from S&T. So either the update was broken or they are trying to block a security vulnerability. It would be prudent to use the Work Off Line option when accessing the DVDs.

#8 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hello all,

Glad you're happy Carl. I wrote to S&T's product support as well, but no reply yet. I'll post here, if anything comes of it.

Yep JRG2, I was aware of security issues with Flash on Macs. Thank you

And JRG2: "If the content is only accessible using Flash then access may be sporadic indefinitely."

The issue of Flash needed for access is an issue for me. I do worry about this for the future use of my S&T purchase. Possibly enough to ask to return it...If I had know the DVDs required Flash to use, I am not sure I would have made the (expensive to me) purchase.

From what I have read, Apple may want to block Flash completely in the future. Given how Apple has dealt with legacy stuff at times in the past, that would not surprise me a bit. (However going from OS 9 to OS X was a painful/expensive move, but a great move.)

Anyway, I uninstalled Flash again, and installed an older version, I used 21.0.0.242 which works so far. I could only find the newest version of Flash on the Adobe website. Trying to download older versions at Adobe, kept redirecting me to the newest download version.  I found the older version to use by mac.FileHorse.com which worked though.

I did find that there are ways to convert the S&T DVD files into .pdf files out there on the web. Besides being a huge project, it appears to require some terminal commands which I am uncomfortable with.

Thanks for the alert Carl. I am looking forward to catching up on my S&T history this winter.

Good Luck

• RedLionNJ and Redbetter like this

#9 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

Glad to hear you got a response from S&T. So either the update was broken or they are trying to block a security vulnerability. It would be prudent to use the Work Off Line option when accessing the DVDs.

JRG2,

I really don't use the DVDs anymore. I moved all of the files from the DVDs to my portable drive (connected with USB3). Should I worry about that? Where might I find this option? Acrobat Reader or Flash?

S&T's fix was to use the DVD and drill down into the folders to find AglaiaReader.exe on every issue. So to access the March 1962 issue for example, I would need to put the 1960s DVD in the drive, open File Explorer, go to the 1960s folder>issues folder>1962 folder>1962_3 folder>execute AglaiaReader.exe to view the March 1962 issue.You would need to do this for every issue you want to view. Very clunky IMO.

I would like to know if others have experienced this problem. Is it only the two of us?

Hopefully Adobe and/or S&T can get this back to normal for users having a problem.

Thanks for your reply,

• desertstars and jdupton like this

#10 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Hello all,

Glad you're happy Carl. I wrote to S&T's product support as well, but no reply yet. I'll post here, if anything comes of it.

Yep JRG2, I was aware of security issues with Flash on Macs. Thank you

And JRG2: "If the content is only accessible using Flash then access may be sporadic indefinitely."

The issue of Flash needed for access is an issue for me. I do worry about this for the future use of my S&T purchase. Possibly enough to ask to return it...If I had know the DVDs required Flash to use, I am not sure I would have made the (expensive to me) purchase.

From what I have read, Apple may want to block Flash completely in the future. Given how Apple has dealt with legacy stuff at times in the past, that would not surprise me a bit. (However going from OS 9 to OS X was a painful/expensive move, but a great move.)

Anyway, I uninstalled Flash again, and installed an older version, I used 21.0.0.242 which works so far. I could only find the newest version of Flash on the Adobe website. Trying to download older versions at Adobe, kept redirecting me to the newest download version.  I found the older version to use by mac.FileHorse.com which worked though.

I did find that there are ways to convert the S&T DVD files into .pdf files out there on the web. Besides being a huge project, it appears to require some terminal commands which I am uncomfortable with.

Thanks for the alert Carl. I am looking forward to catching up on my S&T history this winter.

Good Luck

p51son,

The Adobe Flash files can be found here:

https://helpx.adobe....r-versions.html

The file (Released 7/12/2016) Flash Player 22.0.0.209 (313 MB) has Mac, PC, Linux, exe files in the zip archive. I think that's why it's so large. That's the zip (Date and Version #) I used on my Win10 to get it working. You have to scroll down to find it.

Here is a jpg of the contents of the zip file. I believe the *.DMG files are Mac.

Zip-contents.jpg

Hope this helps you,

• Bomber Bob likes this

#11 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hello JRG2,

I have a question for you please.

A given for me. I run into web sites multiple times a week, that ask for Flash.

You said: "It would be prudent to use the Work Off Line option when accessing the DVDs."

I don't understand.  If I use an older version of Flash, (Which I am now, in order to see the files on my S&T DVD's, it seems like the risk of hacking would be, when visiting other websites (YouTube or whatever) that require Flash, not when viewing the DVDs. Are you saying to not access any websites that require Flash, and use Flash offline to access the S&T DVD's?, I guess that would be safe, but how would I visit the other websites, safely, and view Flash content?

I get that if I am offline, it should prevent hacking. It seems like I would need multiple versions of Flash, newest for security, and older for S&T DVDs. But I have, so far, not seen a way to do that. Or, best, Adobe fixes (if possible) whatever was changed in the newer versions that kludged the S&T DVD reading ability.

Understand, I am not challenging anything you have said. I want to understand what it is you are saying.

I hope it is clear enough what I'm asking. I know it reads kludgy. 

Thank You

#12 JRG2

JRG2

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hello JRG2,

I have a question for you please.

A given for me. I run into web sites multiple times a week, that ask for Flash.

You said: "It would be prudent to use the Work Off Line option when accessing the DVDs."

I don't understand.  If I use an older version of Flash, (Which I am now, in order to see the files on my S&T DVD's, it seems like the risk of hacking would be, when visiting other websites (YouTube or whatever) that require Flash, not when viewing the DVDs. Are you saying to not access any websites that require Flash, and use Flash offline to access the S&T DVD's?, I guess that would be safe, but how would I visit the other websites, safely, and view Flash content?

I get that if I am offline, it should prevent hacking. It seems like I would need multiple versions of Flash, newest for security, and older for S&T DVDs. But I have, so far, not seen a way to do that. Or, best, Adobe fixes (if possible) whatever was changed in the newer versions that kludged the S&T DVD reading ability.

Understand, I am not challenging anything you have said. I want to understand what it is you are saying.

I hope it is clear enough what I'm asking. I know it reads kludgy. 

Thank You

Carl,

I get what you are asking and why.

The issue with Adobe Flash is that it could be used to give access to your computer if it is connected to the Internet even if you are not actively accessing an on line site like YouTube. So viewing S&T files while the computer has an active connection can potentially compromise your computers security. The difficult thing is that we learn the details after the fix. A case of worry about what you don't know unfortunately.

If you are using a web browser and a rolled back Flash plug-in to access the S&T files then working while off line could help buy time until the next update. Most web browsers have a "Work Off Line" option, often under the File menu. You could also physically disconnect the cable too.

That leaves a dilemma since using the rolled back plug-in on line should be avoided too. I wish I could say that setting up one browser for S&T and another for Internet on the same computer would be fine, but I doubt it. A dedicated computer would be a better option if available.

If you have an old laptop lying around that will power up I would install a Linux version on it and use it to access S&T until things settle down and leave the primary computer alone.

I agree kludgy describes the situation well.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#13 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

Hello Carl,

Thanks for that link for the huge (I'm on satellite internet w/restrictions) file. However the mac.FileHorse.com had them individually and it worked fine.

The Tech support answer you got sure did seem crude. Your solution seems better. However, if a downgraded Flash version is a risk for you too... Let's hope Adobe has their folks working hard to upgrade.

I'm sure it is more than just the two of us with this issue. Flash is reportedly on something like a billion computers?

Course I have no idea how many DVD's S&T has sold?

Good Luck

#14 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

Jerry,

"If you have an old laptop lying around that will power up I would install a Linux version on it and use it to access S&T until things settle down and leave the primary computer alone.

I agree kludgy describes the situation well.

Hope this helps."

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yes, thanks for that. Makes it much clearer. I'm cheering for Adobe to advance the software. ( But not holding my breath.)

Maybe I will set up another computer. I haven't ever used Linux. 

I love the power of the web. But there are things I hate too.

Maybe I will look further into converting the files into .pdf(s)

p51son

#15 obrazell

obrazell

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

I have my S&T DVD's loaded on to a harddrive and they too no longer seeem to work. You can look at the DVD covers but when you try and laod an issue in a browser it just hangs saying loading.

Looks like it maybe the end of the line for this collection as I doubt Adobe will look at a fix just for this.

Owen

#16 jdupton

jdupton

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:58 PM

I verified that mine failed in Chrome which is what I normally use for browsing the Web. No amount of "allowing the flash plug-in to run" got it to work. I then tried my copy of Firefox and got a message that Flash was blocked because it was out of date. I asked it to override that and run anyway and got the DVD set to work normally. I would only need to keep Firefox from updating to use the DVDs until Adobe fixes the Flash incompatibility (assuming they can while keeping the security fixes in place).

I then tried the method of drilling down to the directory and just running the MacroMedia Flash player directly as described by Carl. That not only worked but it runs so much faster than going through the browser window, I may use that method anyway from now on. My mouse movements in the browser window under Flash were terribly sluggish. Running the reader/player directly is so much better.

While I'd rather see a permanent fix, I'll just use the browser to read the decade index files and once I find the desired issue, I can use the direct reader to get to the guts of the issue I'm reading.

John

#17 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi All,  

Question or two, about using the S&T DVD's please.

Me: Mac OS 10.10.5

Now that I have it usable by rolling back Flash, I only see 2 page display as my choice. I would like to use in "single page display." 

Does the Window or Linux software offer the option of single page display?

Do any Mac users see that I have overlooked (entirely possible) the option of single page display?

Also, having everything on hard disk would be nice, may have to purchase an external drive to accomplish that. Anyone know if 2 tbs would cover 1940's through 2015?

Thank You

p51son

#18 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Hi All,  

Now that I have it usable by rolling back Flash, I only see 2 page display as my choice. I would like to use in "single page display." 

Do any Mac users see that I have overlooked (entirely possible) the option of single page display?

Also, having everything on hard disk would be nice, may have to purchase an external drive to accomplish that. Anyone know if 2 tbs would cover 1940's through 2015?

Thank You

p51son

p51son,

I'm running Win 10 on a new laptop with a portable 2TB drive. On the portable drive the DVDs installed plus up to 2014 individual years.The total is 55Gs.

The only option I have on Windows is the two page option. I'm using Safari for Windows it seems to be much faster than Firefox or Chrome.

hope this helps,

#19 p51son

p51son

Vostok 1

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hi All,  

Thank You

p51son

p51son,

I'm running Win 10 on a new laptop with a portable 2TB drive. On the portable drive the DVDs installed plus up to 2014 individual years.The total is 55Gs.

The only option I have on Windows is the two page option. I'm using Safari for Windows it seems to be much faster than Firefox or Chrome.

hope this helps,

Yes, Thank You very much

p51son

#20 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

Just ran into this mess, myself. Could read the DVDs one day, not the next, and it appears "permanent." To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement. I'll review this thread tomorrow and see if I can work around this situation using what's been suggested here.  :fingerscrossed:

#21 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

JRG2,

I really don't use the DVDs anymore. I moved all of the files from the DVDs to my portable drive (connected with USB3). Should I worry about that? Where might I find this option? Acrobat Reader or Flash?

S&T's fix was to use the DVD and drill down into the folders to find AglaiaReader.exe on every issue. So to access the March 1962 issue for example, I would need to put the 1960s DVD in the drive, open File Explorer, go to the 1960s folder>issues folder>1962 folder>1962_3 folder>execute AglaiaReader.exe to view the March 1962 issue.You would need to do this for every issue you want to view. Very clunky IMO.

I would like to know if others have experienced this problem. Is it only the two of us?

Hopefully Adobe and/or S&T can get this back to normal for users having a problem.

Thanks for your reply,

Clunky, indeed. But it does work. I'll limp along this way, hoping for a better fix somewhere down the road.

Thanks!

#22 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thanks to everyone for this thread. I tried using the S&T archive yesterday and ran into the same problems mentioned. The Windows workaround handled this for now, but long term it's a big hassle. We need Adobe to come through with a fix. Long term... I wonder if S&T's platform choices c.2010 will lead to the DVDs losing viability.

FWIW, Motorsport magazine in the UK issued a DVD archive at about the same time as S&T. They've ended up putting it all on-line as a subscription benefit.

#23 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Messenger

• Loc: SW Florida

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

I called Sky& Telescope's Store twice and was informed the complete DVD set was no longer sold and had not been available for quite some time. I bought 120 issues, 2000-2009 from a classified on that other site. Now I have hard copy for all post Y2K. I was so sad to get a followup email from the person I bought them from he took ALL the rest of his complete collection to the recycle center as he could not sell them after trying for quite some time. I would have gladly paid the postage to keep them in circulation. Enjoying reading them.

So far Sky & Telescope digital version software provides the option to download a pdf version of paid for issues. If I had to rely on some third party software reader I would forgo digital and stick with print.

Interesting to note after digital became popular, after Sept 2007 issue, print issues no longer have a spine with issue date printed on them.

#24 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

After updating Adobe it still does not work; however, As a temp fix go onto the CD to:    issues/year/year_mo/AglaiaReader and run that, it works fine.  Adobe must have changed something I the way they path to the program.

BTW, I was using Chrome and it has a so-called built-in Flash player so I could not roll that back.  Will try the M$ update roll back.  A real pain.  

Edited by Jeff B1, 11 October 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#25 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

The Aglaia reader also works on Macs running Parallels. I can access any single month in the collection, and search within a single issue. However, I can not search within a decade anymore. Unless one knows/remembers exactly what issue a desired article was in ... might as well search paper issues.

Yes, a real pain.

Hopefully an Adobe update is coming soon. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics