•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky & Telescope Complete DVD Set Not Working

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Adobe Flash has been riddled with issues for years.  HTML5 is a far better option.  I hope Apple does ban Flash on any Mac device, would be for the best to kill this crappy piece of software off forever.

#27 redodson

redodson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hello all,

I had this problem using Internet Explorer and Windows 8 over three years ago. I brought it to the attention of Sky and Telescope, and they said that they would "look into it." I'm sorry to say that I never heard anything back from them. I was able to fix the problem temporarily by using Chrome, rather than Internet Explorer, to open the html files. But after upgrading to Windows 10 and several upgrades of Adobe Flash Player, nothing seems to work anymore - I only get the dreaded infinite "loading" message when I select the issue I want. Fortunately, using the information I gleaned from this thread, I was able to write a short Visual Basic app that executes the appropriate AglaiaReader.exe when I select the desired month and year. It only took me an hour or so to write the app, so I can't see why Sky and Telescope does not seem to be able to offer users a patch to their software that allows them to access their files. Most likely the members of the team who wrote the original software have moved on to bigger and better things, and Sky and Tel just decided to leave their customers high and dry. The same thing happened a few years ago with National Geographic's Topo! software for generating USGS topographic maps. It would seem that these publishers would feel some sense of obligation to their customers who shelled out quite a bit of money for their software and data, but apparently that is not the case. If you are contemplating spending a sizable sum for any software, caveat emptor is always the best advice. 

Rich Dodson

Edited by redodson, 05 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#28 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

At long last there is a fix for this issue:

Dear Valued Customers,

It has come to the attention of our staff that some users have had problems lately accessing data on Sky & Telescope products on DVDs/CDs that use the Adobe Flash player. You may get a frozen “Loading” screen or an error message while attempting to read a disk.

I apologize for that inconvenience and assure you that there is nothing wrong with the products themselves. The problem seems to be caused by a recent version of the Flash player, and it can be fixed by making a small adjustment.

Adobe Flash installs a control panel with its software. You can use this control panel to work around the issue. There are two methods, one if you are using Google’s Chrome browser and another for other browsers.

For Chrome browsers: You have to use the online Flash Settings Manager located at http://www.macromedi..._manager02.html

Once the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager opens in the browser window, click on the Global Security Settings panel. Then click on the Edit Locations drop-down, and choose Add Location. Click on Browse for Folder, then enter the device where the disk is loaded and click Confirm. The DVDs should now work. You only have to do this once per computer for all S&T DVDs.

For non-Chrome browsers To access the local Flash Player Settings Manager that is native to your operating system:

1.            Windows: Start > Control Panel (view by small icons or large icons) > Flash Player
2.            Macintosh: System Preferences (under Other) > Flash Player
3.            Linux Gnome: System > Preferences > Adobe Flash Player
4.            Linux KDE: System Settings > Adobe Flash Player

Once you open the Flash Player Control Panel you will have the Flash Player Settings Manager open on your desktop. Now click on the Advanced tab at the top, and then click on Trusted Location Settings.

Next, click on Add and then Add Folder (not Add File). Then enter the drive where the DVD is located (e.g., F:\), click OK and then Confirm.  You can close the Flash Player Settings Manager now, and the DVD should work. You only have to do this once per computer for all S&T DVDs.

If you need additional help, try Adobe’s Flash Player Help: https://helpx.adobe....ash-player.html

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Peter Tyson
Editor in Chief
Sky & Telescope

#29 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Sean,

The link in the Chrome section of Peter's text needs to be fixed. Drop the . at the end and it works.

Edited by mclewis1, 25 January 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#30 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sean,

The link in the Chrome section of Peter's text needs to be fixed. Drop the . at the end and it works.

Thanks- for some reason i cannot edit the post :-/

#31 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for providing a solution. On the Mac, it gets a little more interesting.

I travel for a living, and save all of my "archive research" tasks for downtime in airports and hotels. Since packing the physical DVD's is not practical, I copied them onto the hard drive of my MacBook Air. For years, this was a good solution.

When I tried the fix of updating the Flash System Prefs to read from the folder where I have the copied DVD's, it did not work. It still hung on the "Load" function with no progress bars or progress indicator.

So, I plugged in the external DVD drive and loaded a physical DVD (1980's, Disk Two). It launched without issue.

After confirming this, I ejected the disk and unplugged the external drive. Now the copy of the disk in question on my hard drive (1980's Disk Two) will load correctly.

I don't know how or why, but I guess I'll launch each physical disk once on the external to "re-authorize" the copies on my hard drive. 

#32 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Just did a quick restart of the computer and re-launched a random month from the 1980's Disk Two copy on my hard drive. Works fine!

#33 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

Sean,

Thanks- for some reason i cannot edit the post :-/

Hi Sean,

Fixed the link for you  :grin:

• swalker likes this

#34 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

What a huge help, thanks for posting the fix. Do you have a link for Peter Tyson's post from S&T? I couldn't find it on their site.

Edited by BGeoghegan, 27 January 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#35 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

What a huge help, thanks for posting the fix. Do yo have a link for Peter Tyson's post from S&T? I couldn't find it on their site.

Not yet, i think we're trying to finalize the Mac fix first before putting it up officially.

• BGeoghegan likes this

#36 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Agree with an early commenter--  HTML5 is much preferred.   Any chance the DVD set could be set up that way?!

Actually, even better would be an online option via HTML.  It'd be great to be able to access early issues on the iPad!

#37 swalker

swalker

• Vendors

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

http://www.skyandtel...cd-adobe-flash/

• BGeoghegan likes this

#38 BGeoghegan

BGeoghegan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern CT

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thank you Sean, Peter and Sky & Telescope for continued support. I'm a little embarrassed not to have looked in the Flash control panel and figured this out myself. The fix also works for DVDs copied onto hard disk space if you set the parent folder as a trusted location.

Bob 

• swalker likes this

#39 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

Really appreciate the fix!  Thanks so much!

John

• swalker likes this

#40 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:57 AM

Hi all,

Just resurrecting this thread.  Spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get the CDs to read, but to no avail.  Each decade screen opens fine, but when trying to access individual issues, it's a no-go.  I tried the fix above, but it didn't work.  I've tried MS Edge, IE, Firefox, and Chrome -- all no good.  I also uninstalled/reinstalled Flash without success.

Actually, I shouldn't say *all*.  A few issues open, but others do not.  Instead, the drive hangs up trying to read the disk.  Sometimes the browser will crash, other times it just keep churning.

Further suggestions will be gratefully acknowledged and attempted.

• John Higbee likes this

#41 Nebulous1

Nebulous1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

So glad I found this thread!  I've been away from active astronomy pursuits for several years, and did not even know that there was a Sky & Tel DVD set.  I have a Nat Geo all issues DVD set that I really enjoy, and would love to get the completed S&T on DVD.   Is it true that it's no longer available?  It does show 'out of stock' at S&T's store.

#42 gvk

gvk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mystic, CT, USA

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Thanks!!!

A Google search just turned up a link to this thread.

I had not looked at any of these back S&T issues for at least a year or two. I have read recent S&T issues as pdf files, including some back as far as 2011. However, this afternoon when I tried to access an article from an issue from 1999, it would not load. Spent over an hour trying different browsers, Safari, Firefox and Chrome, reinstalling and playing with Flash settings, etc. Was about to give up when I finally found and read this thread.

I can now read files for these back issues again using both Chrome and Safari (haven't figured out the problem with Firefox yet, but I don't normally use it anymore). Tried various issues from most decades, and they all seem to work so far (at least for now until Flash finally disappears).

Thanks again to those who originally found and reported the problems, and to S&T for providing the fix.

Gerry

#43 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

Installed the original fix over a year ago and it worked fine.  Hadn't used the set for several months, and just tried to open it...and am getting the same symptoms as Phil Harrington reports above.

I have Adobe Flash Player installed, but Windows 10 refuses to acknowledge that it exists (can't access the Flash Control Panel in Chrome).

What gives?  This is REALLY beginning to P*** me off!

Does anyone here have an idea of what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

John

#44 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:13 AM

Hello all,

I had this problem using Internet Explorer and Windows 8 over three years ago. I brought it to the attention of Sky and Telescope, and they said that they would "look into it." I'm sorry to say that I never heard anything back from them. I was able to fix the problem temporarily by using Chrome, rather than Internet Explorer, to open the html files. But after upgrading to Windows 10 and several upgrades of Adobe Flash Player, nothing seems to work anymore - I only get the dreaded infinite "loading" message when I select the issue I want. Fortunately, using the information I gleaned from this thread, I was able to write a short Visual Basic app that executes the appropriate AglaiaReader.exe when I select the desired month and year. It only took me an hour or so to write the app, so I can't see why Sky and Telescope does not seem to be able to offer users a patch to their software that allows them to access their files. Most likely the members of the team who wrote the original software have moved on to bigger and better things, and Sky and Tel just decided to leave their customers high and dry. The same thing happened a few years ago with National Geographic's Topo! software for generating USGS topographic maps. It would seem that these publishers would feel some sense of obligation to their customers who shelled out quite a bit of money for their software and data, but apparently that is not the case. If you are contemplating spending a sizable sum for any software, caveat emptor is always the best advice. 

Rich Dodson

Rich - could you provide me the file with your Visual Basic app (along with how to install it)...this sounds like the only permanent fix to date for this problem.  

Hope you can help me on this...thanks, John

#45 Cosmo Geezer

Cosmo Geezer

Explorer 1

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

I had the same problem recently so I emailed the vendor and the response they gave me worked great. Here is the response:

Dana (F+W Customer Service)
May 7, 11:02 AM MDT
Dear Valued Customer,

It has come to our attention that some users have had problems lately accessing data on Sky & Telescope products on DVDs/CDs that use the Adobe Flash player. You may get a frozen “Loading” screen or an error message while attempting to read a disk.

I apologize for that inconvenience and assure you that there is nothing wrong with the products themselves. The problem seems to be caused by a recent version of the Flash player, and it can be fixed by making a small adjustment.

Adobe Flash installs a control panel with its software. You can use this control panel to work around the issue. There are two methods, one if you are using Google’s Chrome browser and another for other browsers.

For Chrome browsers: You have to use the online Flash Settings Manager located at http://www.macromedi..._manager02.html.

Once the Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager opens in the browser window, click on the Global Security Settings panel. Then click on the Edit Locations drop-down, and choose Add Location. Click on Browse for Folder, then enter the device where the disk is loaded and click Confirm. The DVDs should now work. You only have to do this once per computer for all S&T DVDs.

For non-Chrome browsers To access the local Flash Player Settings Manager that is native to your operating system:

1. Windows: Start > Control Panel (view by small icons or large icons) > Flash Player
2. Macintosh: System Preferences (under Other) > Flash Player
3. Linux Gnome: System > Preferences > Adobe Flash Player
4. Linux KDE: System Settings > Adobe Flash Player

Once you open the Flash Player Control Panel you will have the Flash Player Settings Manager open on your desktop. Now click on the Advanced tab at the top, and then click on Trusted Location Settings.

If you are on Windows and Linux systems, click on Add and then Add Folder (not Add File). Then enter the drive where the DVD is located (e.g., F:\), click OK and then Confirm. You can close the Flash Player Settings Manager now, and the DVD should work. You only have to do this once per computer for all S&T DVDs.

For Macs, click on the “+” button to add a folder. Then click on the DVD menu, which you should see in the left navigation under Devices. Click the “Open” button. This will add the pathway to that disc to your Trusted Location Settings. Now click on that pathway to highlight it, then click on the pencil icon (next to the “+” and “-“ buttons). Truncate the pathway so it reads only “/Volumes/” (no quotes). You only have to do this once per computer for all S&T DVDs.

If you need additional help, try Adobe’s Flash Player Help: https://helpx.adobe....ash-player.html

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope you continue to enjoy our products.
Thank You,
Dana
F+W Media Customer Service Supervisor

#46 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

OK, the problem is back and it is worse - forget the copies I made on my hard drive (which stopped working again, deleting and and re-opening "trusted sites" does not work anymore).

Now I can not even view the original DVD's!

Mac OS 10.13.4
Flash 30.0, fresh install

#47 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

If you have incompatible software, sometimes the easiest method is to try to run it on Oracle VirtualBox.  If you know there is a particular version of Adobe Flash that does work, you can try to install the older version (it often comes bundled with the discs for old software) on VirtualBox.  That way, any security risks from using the outdated software are isolated to the virtual environment.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 13 June 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#48 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Not yet, i think we're trying to finalize the Mac fix first before putting it up officially.

Belated thanks, Sean, I just used the DVD set and used your suggestion and it worked great.  Belated thanks :)

Jeff

#49 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

Recently bought a new computer with Windows 10, and I'm seeing the problem discussed at length in this thread. The recommended fix has no effect whatsoever. The catch here is that I didn't run into the much discussed hassle before, so this is all new to me. When I follow the instructions posted previously and browse folders, what exactly am I supposed to be selecting and confirming? Selecting the device merely opens the device, with the result that the DVD drive asked that a disk be inserted. I get the feeling I'm dealing with yet another blind spot resulting from a lack of IT training. 

Related question: what becomes of these disks when Flash takes its swan dive next year?

#50 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

Recently bought a new computer with Windows 10, and I'm seeing the problem discussed at length in this thread. The recommended fix has no effect whatsoever. The catch here is that I didn't run into the much discussed hassle before, so this is all new to me. When I follow the instructions posted previously and browse folders, what exactly am I supposed to be selecting and confirming? Selecting the device merely opens the device, with the result that the DVD drive asked that a disk be inserted. I get the feeling I'm dealing with yet another blind spot resulting from a lack of IT training. 

Related question: what becomes of these disks when Flash takes its swan dive next year?

Tom,

No good work-around that I know of.  The whole collection is DOA, which is likely why it's been off the market for a while now.

The only way I can access the issues is one page at a time simply by opening them using File Manager.  For instance, to see the April 1968 issue, I insert the CD (f:/ drive in my case) and click on increasingly deep sub-directories until I get here: 

F:\1960s\issues\1968\1968_04\Sky_and_Telescope_April_1968\f80c035e786c424d9fc3f79e91ff0aa9

I'll then see each page as a JPEG file, e.g. Page_3.jpg (typically each issue's ToC) and go from there.

I know, a ridiculous solution, but none of the fixes mentioned in this thread work with Win 10, at least not for me.  I try different browsers as well as running the executable using Win XP compatibility, but no luck.

Alternatively, many (most?) back issues are available as PDF files by following this link to archive.org. That might be the best way to go.

• desertstars likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics