•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Orion Starmax 127 v/s Konus Motormax 130

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:07 PM

I have narrowed down my search to these two scopes. I have read quite a few reviews of the Orion and am convinced it is a good bargain. But I cannot find any review of the Konus. The Konus package seems to come with a better mount with drives included. But I need to know how the optics are. The tube does not look like it is the same Synta generic one that Orion uses.
Which one should I buy? :confused:

Yasho

#2 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:35 PM

I'm sort of been in analysis paralasis on this one myself. The Konus seems to give you more for your money with both drives and as you noted, the tripod does seem better. I've written to Digital Optical and they sell both the Orion and Konus. Do's reply to me was they are both about the same optically with the Konus currently being a better buy. For whatever that is worth anyway. I'd like to think everyone is honest. I have spoken with other Motormax 130 owners who seem happy with their purchase. I certainly welcome more opinions on this myself before I decide. I know Orion is known to stand behind their products. So like me, your probably more confused than ever now eh? :shocked:

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:43 PM

You bet! I don't know why no one's done a comparison yet.
I am from India pursuing my MBA at OSU, Columbus, OH. I have not used any of the brands available here (except a Celestron-14 in my high school......but that's out of my league as of now) and don't know much about the "feel" of the scopes available here.

I heard Astronomy has a review in their April issue, but I don't subscribe to it (I am a S&T guy). If anyone of you has read the review in Astronomy, could you please put up the salient points?

Yasho

#4 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:56 PM

Hi again
I subscribe to Astronomy but I haven't gotten my April issue yet. When I do, I'll let you know. Another thought I had was for around the same money, you could get a Celstron Nexstar 5 used and then you would have a GOTO which I kinda like. I've seen them in mint condition and usually with a few extras for between $500-$600. Not sure how they compare optically to the mak's...anyone, feel free to chime in here and set us straight.

#5 Buster

Buster

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2004 - 03:30 PM

I'm sort of been in analysis paralasis on this one myself. The Konus seems to give you more for your money with both drives and as you noted, the tripod does seem better. I've written to Digital Optical and they sell both the Orion and Konus. Do's reply to me was they are both about the same optically with the Konus currently being a better buy.

Interesting. In November, I visited Digitec to look at both the Starmax and Motormax. Mark's recommendation was to go with the Starmax - in effect, he stated there was no contest between the 2.

#6 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

I have the Starmax, and like it. Can't comment on the optics of the Konus 130. I will say this, though...focal length on Konus is a bit longer, which means its lowest power will be higher than in Starmax, and that its widest FOV will be narrower than Starmax.

With 32mm Plossl, Starmax gives about 48x and 1.1 deg FOV. I'm just guessing the with the Konus, lowest power will probably be 60x with only .8-.9 deg FOV.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:44 PM

I went ahead and bought the Orion Skyview Pro 127. There was a sale going on in a store here and it seemed a good deal. The mount is heavier than I expected.....but it is very very stable.
Jupiter was a pretty good sight under EXTREME light pollution - I was standing practically under the street light.

Yasho

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:06 AM

Yasho,

Any other opinions on the Starmx> I'm considering getting one. Can you see quite a bit?

Thanks,

Matt

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:53 AM

Matt,

It is very cloudy now and the forecasts say that it will continue for a few more days. I'll let you know as soon as I can have a proper session.

Yasho

#10 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:29 AM

Matt,
I have owned the Starmax for 3 years, great scope. Very sharp optics, good contrast, no false color, and it eats up magnification. Long cooldown and narrow FOV.
I use it for Planetary/Lunar/Solar/Double Stars. Does a decent job on planetary nebulae.
I have added a single axis drive, Orion Solar Filter, Orion 9x50RA finder, and a Stellarvue Enhanced Diagonal. Truely a great little scope. Very easy to transport.

Scott

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:52 AM

Scott,

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to go ahead and get one, so my life can get back to normal after all the searching and decision making.

Is the difference between the stock Orion diagonal and the Stellarvue noticable?

Thanks,

Matt

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

Well I finally did it and went ahead and ordered an Orion 127 on the Skyview Pro mount. I'm glad all the bouncing back and forth between Maks, SCTs, refractors and reflectors is over. At least until I need the second scope. Maybe about Christmas time.

Any suggestion on accessories for the starmax?

Matt

#13 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

The soft carrying bag is a nice thing to have for transporting and storing the scope. I think you made a good choice and will be happy. Warpdhavoc had one and I always enjoyed the views in it very much. It was great on planets and really held it's own on DSOs.

#14 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to go ahead and get one, so my life can get back to normal after all the searching and decision making.

dream on. it's only just begun...

#15 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

anyway, Yasho and Matt..well done on your new Maks. Nice scope. You're sure to enjoy. I like mine.

Incidentally, your questions prompted me to look at the Konus again. I do like the dual-eyepiece compatibility. That's pretty cool. And the scope definitely looks hot. But still, at 2000mm focal length, that's pretty limited low-mag and FOV. I'd still have gotten the Orion.

The mount is heavier than I expected.....but it is very very stable.

Yes, Yasho...that Astroview is good and hefty. The one on the Konus would have been even heavier...like the one Matt got :lol:. Matt, with that SVP mount, your scope will be super duper duper sturdy. I just have the Astroview...it's plenty for this scope.

Any suggestion on accessories for the starmax?

I agree with echo about the carrying bag. Definitely get an RA motor, too, if the SVP doesn't already come with one. And...lots and lots of eyepieces!!!

Scott, I'm also interested in your opinion on the Stellarvue diagonal. Make much of a difference?

#16 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:18 PM

Hey Jeff

Yeah, talked to a few folks and that dual feature is nice. I guess you can keep a lower power in one and higher in the other and just use the flip feature. Also, I'm told for imaging its pretty good as you see what (more or less) you see in the camera....Am I making any sense here? I may give it a go with the Konus. Just to be different. I can always send it back they tell me if I don't like it?

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the pointers.

Any pointers on the eyepieces? I have the Celestron set. So with the Orion, I'll have 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 10mm, 15mm, 25mm and 32mm Plossls. And the Celestron kit came with a barlow, although I've never really liked the views through it. Also, the 32mm Plossl has a 43 degree FOV which would give less than 1 degree in the Starmax. I'd like to get something that could get right at 1 degree. Some people are recommending the Celstron Axiom 23mm which give 70 degree FOV.

Are the Orion barlowes pretty decent?

Luckily the Starmax comes with a case and the mount came with two motors.

Thanks,

Matt

#18 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:49 PM

Matt and Jeff,
The SV Enhanced 1 1/4" Diagonal has less light scatter than the stock diagonal. The stock was good, the SV is just better. Did not notice any difference in ability to see deeper due to the enhanced coatings, but I didn't really look for that. I just wanted less scatter, and the SV delivered. Great value for $50.00.

Scott

#19 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:54 PM

Yasho and Matt,
Congrats on the new Mak's. :waytogo: :waytogo:
You will be pleased with the optics.

Suggestions for accessories:
1) Orion 9x50RA finder
2) Orion Full Aperture Solar Filter
3) Orion Flexishield Dewshield
4) 32mm Plossl (Orion Sirius or Highlight)

That should start you out well.

Scott

#20 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:58 PM

Folks,

Can't comment on the Konus. I live in west Texas, a bit far from Canada, and I've already been burned on import tariffs (NAFTA my AFTA!) However, I bought an Apex last year and have been AMAZED at the views. I already had an EQ-2 and have tried to use it with this mount with mixed results.

My girlfriend bought me some stabilizing pads for my birthday (she LOVES me, see?) and that did help a lot. Still, this mount is a bit undersized overall. On the other hand, it's VERY portable. Still, I think the EQ3 or SkyView Pro are better choices for this scope. I will probably end up with one or the other when I get the 100mm F6. See, Jeff is right. This is ONLY the BEGINNING. Before too long, your house is gonna start looking like Ed Ting's place!

I bought the inexpensive, Japanese 90 degree diagonal from University Optics (not the amici version) and have been very happy with it. Stellarvue's is probably very good, too.

I have the 30mm RA finder. I think it's great and an absolutely essential component for a Mak-Cass.

Get you some University Optics Orthos, some long focal length HighLight Plossls (NOT the short mm models). If you can afford it, the TeleVue 15mm, 11mm and/or 8mm Plossls are worth every penny.

Good luck and enjoy. The Apex 127mm is a GREAT scope.

Ciao amigos,

CDS

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:40 AM

Scott,

I don't seen an enhanced 1.25" diagonal at the Stellarvue site. They have 2" diagonals coming Spring 2004. Did you get them from somewhere else.

Thanks,

Matt

#22 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:31 AM

New Mak owners (aren't there two or three of you now...can't keep ya'll straight)...

I'll STRONGLY suggest you don't jump the gun on buying a new 32mm Plossl. The one in the Celestron kit is quite good. I just got a 32mm TV Plossl and compared the two...not much difference at all. AND...the specs for that Celestron piece are wrong. It is in fact 50 degs or so. I've tested this agains the Televue. AFOV and TFOV are virtually identical. Spend your money on other upgrades/accessories first.

If you DO want to buy a wider field EP though (e.g., 25mm EP with 70-deg field...keeping in mind that a 32mm Plossl and 25mm wide-field give almost the same true FOV), consider that with the long f/ratio in Maks, you can get away with cheaper EPs. Long f/ratio scopes are very forgiving of cheaper eyepiece designs. By contrast, fast scopes (f5) need more premium EPs to get good views. So, before you spend $150 on an Axiom (which is still not too expensive), look for other wide-field options. For example, the 25mm Antares M70 is under $100 and would probably give you a great view in the f12 scope. I use one in my f5, and like it a lot.

Re; Celestron kit...I like the 32mm and 9mm most. 15mm gives good views, but eye relief is surprisingly bad (worse than the 9mm). I don't like the 6mm...very bad eye relief...but views are fine...i used mine a lot before upgrading. 4mm has surprisingly adequate eye relief, but is probably too powerful for the Mak (will give 385x). Barlow is not great, but will do the job just fine for now. Filters are a nice useful inclusion for that kit.

As for Orion Barlows...the regular Barlow is probably the same as the one in your Celestron kit. If you upgrade Barlow, everyone here will recommend Celestron Ultima, Orion Shorty-Plus, or Televue.

And just to make it clear...CDS's Apex is different from your guys' Starmax and SVP mounts. Same OTA, but different mount. So if you got the Starmax or SVP, you needn't be concerned about the mount being inadequate (as is apparently the case for the Apex).

cheers,
jeff

#23 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hey Jeff,

I got the one with the SVP mount, not the Astroview. It has the RA drive included but I am not going to bother installing it yet.
The weather's so bad here in Columbus it's killing me! I have not been able to take the scope out at all because of the rain.
Regarding the accessories, I was wondering if any of you knew of a full aperture solar filter for the 127 that is better than the one Orion carries. Or is that the only one available for this scope?

Yasho

#24 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

don't know about the solar filter.

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:38 PM

Guys,

I was wondering should I get some higher power orthoscopics for planets or should I stick with Plossls and use a barlow. It seems with a f/12 Mak, you may not need to use a barlow much.

THanks,

Matt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics