•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Orion Starmax 127 v/s Konus Motormax 130

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#26 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:13 PM

With 7mm Ortho, you've got 220x. Shorter focal lengths than that get tight on eye relief (unless you get Radians or Naglers, etc), so might still want a Barlow to push those highest mags, e.g., 2x with 12mm to get 257x and 2x w/ 10mm to get 308x. This is what I do. And you probably won't ever/often get any higher than this.

Alternatively, you could see if 5mm and 6mm Orthos work for you, in which case you wouldn't need a barlow at all. Some find these short orthos fine, while others find the eye relief getting a little uncomfortable.

#27 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:24 PM

Matt,
Call Vic at Stellarvue to see about the diagonal. I bought it direct from Stellarvue.

Yasho,
I am sure that there is a Baader style filter for the 127, but I only have experience with the Orion Glass Filter. I am very happy with the performance of this combo. Very sharp views. Hope this helps.

Scott

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:35 PM

All,

I'm looking at both the UO orthos 7mm and 12.5 mm. I'll probably get a better barlow at some point maybe the Orion shorty.

I've found the 4 mm and 6mm celestrons in the kit to be hard to use because of eye relief. Also the 15mm. The 9mm seems to work well for me. So would a TV Plossl at 15 mm be a good pick in the mid range of magnification.

And is the Orion Sirius 25mm plossl that comes with the scope of good quality? I know you're supposed to have a good quality eyepiece at 2 times the focal ratio, so f/12 would be about 25 mm.

I have already have the 32 mm Celestron that I like which would probably give me about the widest FOV for this scope. So I was also wondering if maybe a TV 20 mm plossl or maybe Antares 19 mm W70 would be a consideration to fill in the gaps.

THanks,

Matt

#29 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:43 AM

The 25mm Sirius is a fine piece. Quality seems a little less important at low magnification anyway. It's when you get into high-power views of planets that the differences in quality are more noticeable. Do other upgrades first.

The TV 20mm Plossl gets rave reviews.

I also like the Antares M70 pieces. They're soft at the edges in scopes with fast/short f-ratios, but they should be great in f12 Maks. A very affordable way to get some quality wide-field views.

As noted, the 32mm Plossl is about the widest TFOV you get (for any scope) in a 1.25" barrel. A 24-25mm 68-70deg piece will give you about the same TFOV as the 32mm Plossl.

#30 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:35 PM

Jeff,
I am considering a wooden tripod from Al's Astro for my Starmax 127. The signiture series with the leg locker looks really sturdy.

Scott

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:05 AM

Jeff,

Would you recommend the UO orthos for the planets? I was thinking the 7mm and 12.5mm which would give 220x and 123x.

Also, I read somewhere on cloudy nights that a good magnification for alot of the Messier objects is about 150x which would be about 12mm on the Mak. Antares has a 14mm W70 which would be close. Or would the lower power 19mm be more appropriate for some DSO's?

Thanks,

Matt

#32 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:11 AM

Jeff,

Would you recommend the UO orthos for the planets? I was thinking the 7mm and 12.5mm which would give 220x and 123x.

bear in mind, Matt, I'm no expert here. I've only been at this for 8 months myself. I've just been sharing my experiences, thus far, and also relating a lot of info that I've picked up from others during this time.

So, with that in mind, I'll answer your question. A LOT of people, including many of the veterans around here, will highly endorse orthos (including UO) for planetary use, ESPECIALLY given their low cost. I've recently picked up several orthos myself recently, including 7mm, 9mm, and 12mm. I've only had a chance to use the 7mm so far, though, and really do like it.

As for optimal magnification on DSOs, this depends on the scope, the DSO, and your preferences. For a 5" scope, you'll probably look at most DSOs under 100x. But there really will be a lot of variation here.

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:20 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for all the help! I'm looking forward to getting my scope.

Thanks,

Matt

#34 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:14 AM

Hey Jeff

I just read the Konus review in Astronomy last night. The review was favorable. I just ordered a Motormax 90 to play around with and use as a grab n go mostly for planets and the moon. Later this year(when I'm done all my other projects) I think I'm going to go for the Konus 8" like you have....(Ya have to love an orange telescope:-)) I'll let you know how I make out with the MM 90. Not to many Konus users here it seems.

#35 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hey Jeff

I just read the Konus review in Astronomy last night. The review was favorable. I just ordered a Motormax 90 to play around with and use as a grab n go mostly for planets and the moon. Later this year(when I'm done all my other projects) I think I'm going to go for the Konus 8" like you have....(Ya have to love an orange telescope:-)) I'll let you know how I make out with the MM 90. Not to many Konus users here it seems.

Be sure to let us know how the MM90 works out. The Konus line of scopes have caught my attention because of the price. You seem to get a lot of scope for the money.

Jake Jacobson has both the Konusky 200 and the MM130. I asked for a review of the scopes from him over on astromart and here are the threads for his replies:

http://www.astromart...id=189139&page=

http://www.astromart...id=155453&page=

I have been looking for a hands-on review of the 90mm. So once have the opportunity to take it for a good drive, please post your impressions.

Thanks,
David

#36 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:55 PM

Will do, I'll let you know.

#37 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:58 PM

I just ordered the Skyview 127! I've heard just too much good stuff about this scope. I think it'll be a good compliment to my AT1010.

#38 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 31 March 2004 - 03:08 PM

I've never heard much bad about the 127 so I think your safe. I'm going to be the Konus "Lab Rat" on this forum. Astronomy Mag wouldn't lie to us would they? Mines due any day now so of course, the forcast is rain rain rain...it's pouring out now :-((

#39 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

Topcat,

I ordered my Orion 127 last week. It's been clear since then. I am scheduled to received the scope Friday, and what do you know? Storms forecasted for all weekend. I thought everybody was kidding about the new scope curse.

Matt
Orion 127mm Mak
10x50 Binocs

#40 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:36 PM

If Orion has a sale on Maks 4 days after I bought it, I will scream.

#41 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:03 PM

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't worry about that.

Last year I purchased a scope from Orion and got a 'sale' e-mail from them a few days later with the same scope for about $40 less.

I called them and explained the situation. Even though the scope had already been shipped, they adjusted the price!

If nothing else, Orion's service is top notch! :usa:

Don

#42 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

that's nice to know. I hope they pack that scope good for delivery.....i had an astromart disaster with someone weeks ago...the usedSchmidt Newt that was sold to me in the original Meade packaging was destroyed. Now i'm paranoid of course.

#43 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:47 PM

Rob,

I just got my Starmax today. A day earlier. And what do you know, clear skies? It was packed nicely and went together pretty quickly.

I took it out for a look tonight. It was awesome. I was using a Celestron 114GT with poor optics before this scope. I split the Trapezium with my lowest power eyepiece, 32mm! That may not be that monumental but it's definitely not what I'm used to. Jupiter was awesome. The cloud bands really stood out. Mizar was an easy split with the 32mm.

I think this thing will be a great planet and double star scope. I just got to get used to the EQ mount. Also, you really need a right angle finder scope unless you're a contortionist. I have one on order from Orion while they are still on sale.

Hopefully, this weekend will be clear.

Matt
Orion Mak 127mm
10x50 Binocs

#44 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:51 AM

yep, i have the RACI finder from Antares..i'm just waiting for the Scopestuff bracket that fits the Orion base. I can't wait for the scope to get here.

#45 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

Orion 9x50RA works great on mine.

Scott

#46 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:20 PM

Hi Rob,

Orion's stuff is very well packaged. Its double-boxed and each component has appropriate foam insulation.

Not that some delivery service couldn't give it the 'acid test' by driving over it... but short of that, everything should arrive just fine. :usa:

Don

#47 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

Nice to know! I just read a great thread on another forum that contained lots of horror stories about Fedex Ground.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics