•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon DS fieldscope EP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cam1936

cam1936

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the fixed FL Nikon DS fieldscope eyepieces? Specifically the 27X/40X/50X Wide DS.

I did a search and found a small bit of info talking about an avaliable adapter, but none that mentioned optical quality.

72 AFOV (calculated the standard way), FL should be 10.4mm if my calculations are right. 17.8mm ER. Pretty good specs. Does anyone know how they would compare with a XW or Delos? Any commercial adapters still avaliable? (I have a machinist friend who could probably whip me up something quick.)

The reason I ask is I have some money in my hobby account. I can't decide if I want to buy a Nikon ED 50 and a 27X 40X 50X Wide DS out of Japan (for wildlife viewing) or buy two Delos for astronomy. Maybe I could combine the two :)

#2 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

I have an older syle of the eyepiece, which yielded 40x for a 60mm Fieldscope. In that scope, it was tack sharp to the edge of the field. Very nice to work with.

#3 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

Those are very nice eps.

Nikon NAV SW were made based on them.

APM produces adapters for 1.25" on request - I have one made there several years ago.

#4 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

I had a set of 3 that were excellent wide-field eyepieces, very similar to Pentax XW.  Not sure if it was the DS series but they were 72 degrees.

#5 cam1936

cam1936

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

I think I'm going to get the ED 50 and the 27X EP. I will report back after I have tried it in a scope.

#6 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paisley, Scotland

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:34 AM

Hi.

I've been using a Nikon MC wide 27/40/50x fieldscope eyepiece for many years. Seen in the Nikon page as item #5 .... http://nikon.com/pro...es/mc/index.htm

The DS type seems to have the same specs, just different eyecup area design.

From memory it's focal length works out to be in the region of 10-10.5mm. I find it to be superbly eye friendly both in daytime(well duh) & nighttime use. ie: Good ER(quoted as 17.9mm seems correct), zero eye placement problems & most importantly, superb views. Without doubt, to my eyes, a high end EP.

I've never got round to getting a local machinist to turn an adapter. I carefully wrapped some pvc elec tape round the barrel to build it up to 31.75mm/1.25". I find this secures the ep in whatever diagonal I use and doesn't make it look like an ugly DIY job.

I think you'll be very pleased with the ep should you get one.

Andy.

#7 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:44 AM

ive been using the mc nikon zoom and nothing but good things to say about it

it provides ortho type images

im sure others in the lineup are just as good

just have to figure out an adapter

#8 cam1936

cam1936

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

I've heard the MC zoom has excellent image quality. I just can't stand the small AFOV.

If I have my machinist friend whip something up maybe I can have him do 5 or so. Sell them for cost on here.

#9 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

I agree, Nikon Zoom is excellent, and best Zoom ever produced IME.
Yes, sharper, more neutral tone, and no EOFB like Leica ASPH zoom have....and, its waaaay lighter and smaller!!!

#10 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

I agree, Nikon Zoom is excellent, and best Zoom ever produced IME.
Yes, sharper, more neutral tone, and no EOFB like Leica ASPH zoom have....and, its waaaay lighter and smaller!!!

Denis, have you compared the 7mm - 21mm against the older 9mm - 21mm?

Miike

#11 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:48 AM

Hi Mike. I did not, but heard they have same performance. One is fatter and bit heavier, and its bit difference in zoom scale.
I prefeer 9-21 design due slimer and lighter body.

#12 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paisley, Scotland

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:22 AM

Never heard of a Type I vs Type II comparison before. Whilst I'd guess there may be no difference in optical quality, a side by side test would be of great interest.

From the Nikon spec sheet, the only quoted differences between the two are in weight(MkI 100grams / MkII 150grams), eye relief(MkI 12.9mm MkII 14.1mm) and of course the extra 2mm at the higher power end of it's range. Not forgetting the considerable difference in price, also.

Looking at the pics, it looks like the MkII is built in a similar style to the Fieldscope MCII Wide single power ep's, so they couldn't be altered to gain more infocus as in the MkI, where you can remove the large knurled ring.

Fascinating eyepieces and I'd love to hear if anyone has tested them side by side with a good Ortho. If they equal or even better the latter, this to me at least, would make these Nikon Zooms a very tempting eyepiece.

Cheers,

Andy.

#13 Nicu Barbieru

Nicu Barbieru

Lift Off

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:06 AM

Any chance to use 2 of thie eyepieces in a binoviewer ?!

Which is the diameter of these ?

Best
Nicu

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics