•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Mewlon 180C ?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 Alain R

Alain R

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

I just noticed this on Takahashi Japan's web site :

http://www.takahashi...mewlon180c.html

Has it been discussed before ? Can anyone translate the salient bits ?

Tx

• teashea likes this

#2 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:46 AM

Specs look the same as the past Mewlon 180. (2160mm, F/12, 6.2 Kg)

The stated price is 179000 yen (about 1800$ or 1600€). 

The one in the picture has a 6x30 finderscope on top, not the larger 7x50mm of the old Mewlon 180B, although I cannot really tell if it will be offered as an option. As for the rest, there is a reference to a 2" visual back and a 40mm LE eyepeice possibly included with the OTA.

It's a nice small DK and it's in the same weight class as a Celestron C8. Compared to the Mewlon 210 it has only three vanes instead of four, so brights objects will have six spikes instead of four. Nicer, if you ask me, but some AP guys might find this peculiar characteristic a bit too irritating.

If the optics are the same it's a wonderful grab and go scope for planetary, doubles and other small (angular size) targets. There is an expensive corrector that brings the scope down to F/9.8 and reduces the coma but for the price of the scope and the corrector (extra 400$ !!!) you're probably off with larger and faster alternatives for DSOs (unless you're a Takahashi addicted - It's a terrible disease, I tell you!). The central obstruction is not as large as in a 6-8" SCT but still important (59mm or 32.8% of the aperture, including the secondary mirror support and light shield). 

Edited by Marcsabb, 28 September 2016 - 06:49 AM.

• 3 i Guy, Live_Steam_Mad, Astrojensen and 2 others like this

#3 Alvin See

Alvin See

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:18 AM

http://www.kyoei-osa...ashi-m180C.html

Use the google translate function on the left.

• teashea likes this

#4 alexp

alexp

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Winter Springs FL

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

Ran the URL through Google translate ( enjoy the typos )

https://translate.go...tml&prev=search

Release Date 30 Sept .. ( scope will have a new color : Light Blue !!! )

In Myuron series, most, but the production of lightweight, compact Myuron 180 have passed many years from the end, the eyepiece is 50.8 adapter system as standard, to the plating of the mirror HR (high-reflection) multi-layer film attire, such as applying a coat has emerged as a new Myuron 180C

Myuron 180C was designed to mainly eye view observation of celestial body except the shooting and the sun of the planet-moon, it is a doll-Kirkham telescope. With a combination of classical Cassegrain telescope parabolic concave primary mirror and a hyperboloid of convex secondary mirror of, on the design of spherical aberration is none, but it is difficult to polishing of hyperbolic secondary mirror, very difficult to properly assembling adjustment optical It is the system. Dole Kirkham expression is a combination of the secondary mirror of the convex spherical surface to 凹楕 circle mirror that becomes a primary mirror, it has been corrected by the entire system of the spherical aberration generated from each.

The center of the visual field of the Dole Kirkham expression is nearly zero spherical aberration, but the coma as toward the periphery of the field of view will increase. In order to reduce as much as possible coma do we reduce the expansion rate of the secondary mirror, but then the barrel length will be longer. From the balance of the coma and the barrel length of the peripheral, now this ratio..

Dole Kirkham formula is to use the secondary mirror of the spherical surface, polishing, makes it easy to assembly and adjustment, can be stable supply of high-quality products. In addition, our mu Ron series, incorporates a secondary mirror to be combined with the primary mirror to the tester, 1: because you have to polish the primary mirror in one of the pair, the variation due to the chemistry is not there almost. Mirror surface is polished by one by one carefully-house, we finish in polishing technology and proprietary high accuracy by the inspection method of Takahashi. It has undergone a HR multilayer film coat that has been adopted in the current epsilon and Myuron reflecting telescope in the main and secondary mirror both of Myuron 180C in there. Accordingly, as compared with the primary Myuron 180 improves the reflectivity of approximately 7%, the reflectance in the visible light region is now substantially constant.

Since Myuron 180C is cylindrical tip is not covered by the correction plate, the primary mirror is familiar in a short period of time in the outside air temperature. Cylinder convection fits early, Myuron of little long focal aberration of the center, exhibits its power in shooting and eye view observation of the planet. Order to increase the contrast by blocking stray light, we have established 10 pieces of a light-shielding ring to the primary mirror in the baffle. This will be obtained high-low contrast of internal reflection image.

Recent planet shooting now amazing photos by the advances in USB camera and processing software can be obtained. Myuron 180C is the best for the person entry-level machine that start in the future planet shooting. The visually observed, quadriceps turret Revolution bar 31.7D to be easy to change the magnification is useful. The eye visual observation of nebulae, star clusters, can be done brightly observed at low magnification becomes 54 times by using the soon launch of LE40mm. Further, if a combination of options of μ flattener reducers, it is photographed with a focal length to shorten the focal length to approximately 0.8 times.

Finder is the same six times 30mm and founder of Myuron 180A, but it has changed the design of the viewfinder legs. Since the A-type were small a gap to put the hand, the gap between the lens barrel was easier to attach the hand is fully opened. Since the finder legs and the lens barrel remains fixed is to have a sufficient strength, will grip (handle) when carrying the lens barrel. By the way Myuron 180B is 7 times 50mm finder specification of primary, models to be released this time and the tradition that flow, it is the Myuron 180C from that in μ Ron series is the most compact models. Adjustment of the cross line has adopted the displacement difficult eyepiece shift method When the suit once. With this method, the bis for adjustment in the viewfinder around does not protrude, making it easy to hold the grip.

Mounted to the frame, install a dovetail groove that came with the Tadashi Akamichi, only binds to the gratitude that is attached to the lens barrel so easy. If with dovetail groove is in the Tadashi Akamichi, desorption and before and after the balance adjustment of the lens barrel easy.

Barrel rear, finder legs and dovetail groove has been painted in the new color of light blue.

• teashea likes this

#5 waso29

waso29

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:25 PM

For star hopping, the larger 7x50 is more useful.

Also can attach illuminator for the cross-hair.

For goto mounts, the 6x30 should suffice.

Great portable Tak scope for high power lunar, solar system viewing.

Throw in some globs and bright galaxies for good measure.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2188 µ180 p2z.JPG

• 3 i Guy, AZStarGuy, Colin exraaf and 4 others like this

#6 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:19 AM

I red about this spikes "problem" on bright(er) stars and planets (including the Moon) many times in reviews about all the Takahashi μ-telescopes.I wonder why this spike "problëm" doesn't (or lesser) come up when one is talking about Newtons. Why is that? 

Besides that, can someone show me how this spikes phenomenon looks like on a photo of Jupiter? Somehow i can't find any examples myself.

• teashea likes this

#7 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:32 AM

I red about this spikes "problem" on bright(er) stars and planets (including the Moon) many times in reviews about all the Takahashi μ-telescopes.I wonder why this spike "problem" doesn't (or lesser) come up when one is talking about Newtons. Why is that? 

Besides that, can someone show me how this spikes phenomenon looks like on a photo of Jupiter? Somehow i can't find any examples myself.

Spikes are more pronounced on very bright small objects and, in case of planets, many people edit them easily. As you shorter the exposure (or use lower FL eyepieces) spikes tends to become less and less of a nuisance.

There is a thread on Stargazerlounge about the 180 (not the new one) https://stargazerslo...-a-mini-mewlon/

Here you can find a picture of a bright star (Regulus) with the six spikes clearly visible. I think this star is overexposed or not properly focused because I don't get that much halo around it, but the spikes are there.

Attached Thumbnails

• imageproxy.jpg

Edited by Marcsabb, 29 September 2016 - 12:39 AM.

• Traveler likes this

#8 Alvin See

Alvin See

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:01 AM

Honestly, spikes never bothered me. In fact, they helped me in focusing.

I havr also never been impeded by the spikes on the many occasions I split Sirius. Maybe I'm lucky that the Pup always fell outside the spikes.

• teashea likes this

#9 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

• Loc: más y menos

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

I always liked doll-Kirkhams, much classier than those dowdy Dall Kirkham designs.  :grin:

• TheFacelessMen and teashea like this

#10 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

This picture, posted in the other thread by waso29, is worth more than a thousands words on why anybody would need a Mewlon 180 over the larger ones...

And even if it's still bigger than a C6 or similar Mak, it's lighter than most people realize (and it's better balanced).

Attached Thumbnails

• MiniMew.jpg

Edited by Marcsabb, 30 September 2016 - 12:55 AM.

• Live_Steam_Mad, Seiko4169, Colin exraaf and 2 others like this

#11 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

Does the new 180 accept Baader click-lock or AP 3-thumbscrews visual back?
That would be nice.
  • teashea likes this

#12 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

Does the new 180 accept Baader click-lock or AP 3-thumbscrews visual back?
That would be nice.

If it's like the old one, you have to buy an adapter ring "Baader Takahashi Mewlon Aux-Adapter M71/M72"  and then you can use the "Baader 2" ClickLock Clamp CL-M72".

The thread on the back of the small Mewlons cells is a M71 male.

Edited by Marcsabb, 05 October 2016 - 12:57 AM.

• The Ardent, gozer and teashea like this

#13 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

I recall the 180 Mewlons nearly brought one a few years back.  Had a look and it was nice optically.  I ended up buying an intes micro 715 delux I should have kept it was superb.

Re suggested 1800 US price its reasonable but personally a sw180 is a better bet as the optics are so good  for a lot less money.

• teashea likes this

#14 ron scarboro

ron scarboro

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

I actually like the diffraction spikes. Makes the bright stars pretty IMHO.

However, I like Merlow better than Pino Noir,so what do I know. 😏
  • BinoGuy, Sockrateez and teashea like this

#15 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

I actually like the diffraction spikes. Makes the bright stars pretty IMHO.

However, I like Merlow better than Pino Noir,so what do I know.

Six is better than four :) However, when you photograph a lot of bright stars together, it could become messy! 

I recall the 180 Mewlons nearly brought one a few years back.  Had a look and it was nice optically.  I ended up buying an intes micro 715 delux I should have kept it was superb.

Re suggested 1800 US price its reasonable but personally a sw180 is a better bet as the optics are so good  for a lot less money.

Do you mean the Skywatcher Mak 180? I briefly toyed with the idea of getting one for planetary work but It's heavier than the Takahashi (and even heavier than a 8" SCT) and it takes a long time to cool down. By contrast the Mewlon 180 is very fast to adjust to external temperature changes (faster than the 210 by a noticeable margin). Also at F/15 it's a bit too slow for anything but solar system imaging. I agree that the optics are surprisingly good for the price.

Edited by Marcsabb, 07 October 2016 - 03:07 AM.

• teashea likes this

#16 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

I was a little interested in the new Mewlon 180, but the 6x30 non-RACI finder scope is a show stopper for me.  Give I use a non tracking altaz mount and manually find my objects, I would need a 50mm finder scope.

Bill

Edited by Bill Barlow, 07 October 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#17 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

re the cooldown yes that would be an advantage in the skywatcher 180 mak can't just be taken outside and be expected to give really s harp images.   

The 180 is relatively heavy like you say but its very sharp and superb allround.  edge of field will be better than the mewlon.

The coma in the mewlon is comparable to a standard sct the mak is pinpoint to the edge of a 2 inch field suggesting the primary is an ellipse like in the meade maks to correct fro this. 

re the spikes it does appear to be quite a bit of light spill in that image  its never bothered me with newts etc. 

• teashea likes this

#18 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

http://starbase.dw.s...OP/TS-Te23.html

http://www.eyebell.com/mtakahashi.htm

Edited by The Ardent, 08 October 2016 - 04:35 PM.

• teashea likes this

#19 vkx86

vkx86

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:26 AM

Considering that one...

Will μ-180C be better for Lunar/Jupiter/Saturn observing than SW ED 120? 

Size-wise it suits me better - approximately same length as my ED 80, ED 120 is like a rocket launcher...

Edited by vkx86, 10 October 2016 - 04:33 AM.

• teashea likes this

#20 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Considering that one...

Will μ-180C be better for Lunar/Jupiter/Saturn observing than SW ED 120? 

Size-wise it suits me better - approximately same length as my ED 80, ED 120 is like a rocket launcher...

On axis a well collimated Mewlon delivers refractor like sharpness. Compared to a 5",  it has some advantages when observing close doubles or the subtle details of the Jovian atmosphere but imho one needs a very good night to get the most out of it. Of course it's stubbier than a refractor and also quite light for its size, so it might have a stability advantage with medium sized mounts. 

• teashea likes this

#21 vkx86

vkx86

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

...but imho one needs a very good night to get the most out of it...

Exactly...

As a balcony / "thru the open window" observer in a city, I understand that Mewlon will under-perform in most of the nights, here ED 120 has an edge.

Say, aiming to 1 - 0.7 mm exit pupil, to what extent 180 mm aperture affected by seeing in comparison to 120 mm one? 

• rsalva1 likes this

#22 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

...but imho one needs a very good night to get the most out of it...

Exactly...

As a balcony / "thru the open window" observer in a city, I understand that Mewlon will under-perform in most of the nights, here ED 120 has an edge.

Say, aiming to 1 - 0.7 mm exit pupil, to what extent 180 mm aperture affected by seeing in comparison to 120 mm one? 

I also spend most of the nights observing from my city dwelling. Some nights the seeing is so bad that the moon or any planet will dance in my eyepiece as if I were looking at them through a flame haze. It doesn't help that the heat rising from the taller buildings around me create currents that blur the vision further. In these nights, going above 150-180x is totally useless so it does not really matter what scope I'm using: I reckon an 80mm would probably more than enough.

One thing I noted is that the Mewlon is pretty fast to adapt to the temperatures changes, faster than a C6 I also keep at home here. So, in the rare nights when a cool breeze sweeps the heat and the humidity away and it gives me a couple of hours of decent seeing, the scope responds quickly to the changes; I can start to appreciate what the Mewlon is capable of.

For me however, the biggest seling point is that it's a "large" scope that can be conveniently brought into a medium case and that doesn't need, in turn, a heavy mount. I've used it ontop of a Nextar SE and it's as manageable as a C8.

If you can get away from your urban dwelling and observe the stars from another location, the Mewlon 180 is a good balance between aperture, weight and performance. If you can't, then honestly I can't recommend it over your current scope. 

• teashea likes this

#23 waso29

waso29

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

coming to US shores in Jan 2017...

http://www.landseask...er-deposit.html

#24 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

The price is a bit disappointing... especially since it comes with the not-so-hot 6x30 finder. My Mewlon 180 mirrors are now almost 16 yrs old (bought used). I was looking for a pretext to upgrade, but I think a good recoat will do just fine.

#25 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: france

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:44 AM

New? Nothing new at last. Just a new paint and a smaller finder.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics