•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iAstroHub 3.0: IoT for Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
534 replies to this topic

#476 apos

apos

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ludwigshafen / Rhein, Germany

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

I found the source for the SkyChart ERROR Open Serial Port. All SkyChart C programs are hardwired to /dev/ttyUSB0. On Raspberry PI 3 model B, USB is labeled as /dev/ttyACM0. In fact, I imagine the same problem exists with SW6P. Setting the USB port in the GUI has no effect. The C code does not reflect any updated path to any config file. To me, this suggests the root of the problem. Would Anat or Richard care to comment?

If this really is the problem, you can symlink ttyUSB0 to ttyACM0 at the RaspberryPI. I think, this would be the easiest solution.

sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB0
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM1 /dev/ttyUSB1
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM2 /dev/ttyUSB2

Now you can use /dev/ttyUSB0 and it automatically uses /dev/ttyACM0.

Check with:

ls -la /dev/ttyU*

#> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root          9 Mär  5 18:03 /dev/ttyUSB0 -> /dev/tty0

To make this permanent edit the file /etc/rc.local and put the above commands in it. /etc/rc.local is run while the  system boots.

nano /etc/rc.local

ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB0
ln -s /dev/ttyACM1 /dev/ttyUSB1
ln -s /dev/ttyACM2 /dev/ttyUSB2

Reboot and check with

ls -la /dev/ttyU*

if the symlinks had been set correct. You should see something like:

#> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 Mär  5 18:03 /dev/ttyUSB0 -> /dev/ttyACM0

There are also other workarounds for this problem (udev rules) but I think this solutions should work and is easy to achieve.

Please give us feedback if you succeeded.

Greets Axel

Edited by apos, 05 March 2018 - 12:25 PM.

• bsavoie likes this

#477 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Corinth, Kentucky

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

Hello Axel

Yes, alias is a way to assist hobbled apps. Sometimes that works and sometimes that doesn’t. A modular approach was being discussed. It appears to have died. Change is inevitable. PI 2 to PI 3 then the model B makes software like this difficult to maintain. 

#478 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Hello Axel,

Using aliases is a temporary fix. After reading the help on SkySafari 6 Pro, the programmers are not looking to work with estimating the position of the scope. The product iAstroHub and AstroEQ need some fine tuning to be ready for the big stage of astronomy dance of low power and fewer cords.

The INDI is cool but has numerous flaws. For example, try putting the values of your scope and guider in. Both items are fixed at 5000 and 10000. Many of the scope features are not accessible. I consider this a dead end. I am moving over to Minix to drive AstroEQ. SkySafari 6 Pro was a waste of money for me. 

I requested a fix for INDItelescope.cpp. I attempted to recompile a fix but it did not take. 

The alias trick did not work for SkyChart nor SkySafari 6 Pro. SS6Pro wants a scope position call back before it will accept the scope, a position without moving the scope. 

#479 ecloud

ecloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dalian, China

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

Hi, I'm back.

After a busy year, I could spend time on iAstroHub work now.

Here are some points I'm thinking:

• lin_guider 4.2.0 and later
    In 4.2.0 there are many new commands added for Lin_guider server. To make it work with iAH, the best way is to modify iAH scripts but not too much on lin_guider. Several commands need to be changed to fit new Lin_guider commands. This could impact about 10 iAH files, and also make the Lin_guider patch smaller about 30% off. This will let us to patch future lin_guider (5.x) easier.
    The following commands could be changed to lin_guider native commands:
    START_AUTOGUIDING
    STOP_AUTOGUIDING
    FINDSTAR
    MOVE_RETICLE
    And this is a big work.

• ASI camera and the ccd part of iAH
    Now iAH does not support ASI camera natively. The main problem of iAH is the ccd part is based on OSI and GoQoat. And the INDI part does not talk to guider part and filter part.
    Solution A: make a set of scripts to drive ASI driver directly, then the ASI camera will work like a DSLR in iAH with ASI filter and temperature control module.
    Solution B: modify OSI to talk to INDI.
    Solution C: modify INDI part to talk to lin_guider.
    Solution D: wait GoQoat to fix its INDI issue.
    A is easy to do but the autofocus will be lost because the FWHM/HFD data is from OSI. And there is no live view/preview.
    B is a huge work. I'm not familiar with OSI code so I could not tell if I can finish it.
    C seems to be easy but many users do not like the INDI page in iAH which is mass and difficult to use. And like A it lost autofocus.
    D...
    So this is boring. The key issue is the ccd part of iAH is based on OSI which provides the preview and FWHM/HFD data. The best solution is to change OSI to an INDI enabled capture application. But I could not find one by now. CCDCiel seems good but it does not provide any useful commands in its tcp/ip server.
    I'm still thinking about this and, maybe finally I will try to make a CLI capture application based on INDI (like gphoto/pktriggercord) and calculate FWHM with the code from Siril. But this could be a totally new appshocked.gif 
    Or anyone who knows that if there is some app like this and I can try to path it with FWHM code?
    Another news is that ZWO itself will release a capture app on Win/Mac/Linux, but I don't think I can see it in next year...

• Pentax
    The iAH could be the best Astro control software which supports Pentax. This is based on pktriggercord which has not been updated for years. And the recent models are not supported (K-1). Gphoto and INDI does not drive Pentax from the first day. I had a plan before to make an INDI-pktriggercord wrapper to make a Pentax driver for INDI. But since the pktriggercord is not updated, and also myself will move from Pentax to ASI, I gave up this plan. I don't think people will try the outdate model like K5 anymore. So it's time to give up Pentaxcrazy.gif 

• PoleMaster
    There is a linux app on QHY's official web. I don't know if it could run on ARM. I do not have a polemaster so could not try it.

If all these can be accomplished, the major release may be changed to 4.0, how do you think about it anat?

Edited by ecloud, 06 March 2018 - 04:34 AM.

• mclewis1 and bsavoie like this

#480 apos

apos

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ludwigshafen / Rhein, Germany

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hello Axel,

Using aliases is a temporary fix. After reading the help on SkySafari 6 Pro, the programmers are not looking to work with estimating the position of the scope. The product iAstroHub and AstroEQ need some fine tuning to be ready for the big stage of astronomy dance of low power and fewer cords.

The INDI is cool but has numerous flaws. For example, try putting the values of your scope and guider in. Both items are fixed at 5000 and 10000. Many of the scope features are not accessible. I consider this a dead end. I am moving over to Minix to drive AstroEQ. SkySafari 6 Pro was a waste of money for me. 

I requested a fix for INDItelescope.cpp. I attempted to recompile a fix but it did not take. 

The alias trick did not work for SkyChart nor SkySafari 6 Pro. SS6Pro wants a scope position call back before it will accept the scope, a position without moving the scope. 

This comment is a little bit off iAstroHub-topic: but then try Kstars: there is a complete distribution for the PI. And also an android app which lets you directly connect to the Indiserver on the PI ;-) Unfortunately at time of writing I cannot do further testing into IAstroHub and AstroEQ.

* http://indilib.org/s...lete-guide.html

* http://www.rankinstu...I_Raspberry_PI3

* http://indilib.org/s...lete-guide.html

Edited by apos, 06 March 2018 - 11:17 AM.

#481 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

I found another smoking gun error. I installed tShark and captured the wireless discussion between my iPad Air 1 and iAstroHUB. This is what I found. 

SkySafari sends a Get /SetSerial Baud=9600, and data=8, and parity=N, and stop=1. 

This is what iAstroHUB sends back. 

1. Wait a minute...

2. Host not found. 

Looks like SkySafari is sending a communications command to the "mount". When the mount does not respond, it is offline. End of story. Looks like the issue is with iAstroHUB. Interesting. IT does need an update. What do you think?  

Only BAUD is setup in iAstroHUB. The data, parity, and stop are assumed to be there. The odd part is why send the command over a Wireless connection. It does separate the pretenders from the true mounts. 

I searched all of PI for SetSerial. The /var/logs/nginx/access.log confirms the WireShark findings. 

Edited by AradoSKy, 06 March 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#482 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

Hello,

Peeling onion layers back one at a time is an eye watering adventure. What is missing is the SkySafari driver in the INDI setup on iAstroHub. SkySafari is in INDI Library v1.5+. Now to verify its inclusion and see what can be done to include it into INDI configuration of iAstroHub.

Edited by AradoSKy, 08 March 2018 - 07:04 AM.

#483 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

No, the SkySafari INDI driver is not part of iAstroHub. Thus, it is hobbled. Moving to INDI 1.60 (the current release) is limited by the Jessie build. Stretch is the supported version by INDI 1.60. Ouch. 

Where to take this build is not mine to decide. Maybe, the silence of this thread represents the end of the development line. 

SkyChart is at 4.0. INDI is at 1.60. PI is at 3 model B. The promise of StarSafari is dated. These drifts are pointing to the end of 2.2.

3.07 has many quality issues. UTC, UTC offsetting, scope attributes, and saving/loading are misses as they cannot be addressed in WEB or iINDI. Every session is a reapplying session of scope attributes. Else, the scope is spinning around. 

Lessons learned: Is PI math ready for astronomy? It depends on the distribution. 

#484 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

This is the progress of getting SkySafari 6 Pro and iAstroHub talking. The path is at a stand still. 

SkyChart is now updated to 4.0. The move required many updates. Being beyond 16G of space is a must. My PI is on 64G. The missing pieces yet to be fulfilled is this. All the equipment that I am using works perfectly under Windows 10 Creator edition. Under W10, I am using ASCOM. Cartes de Ciel talks ASCOM. I point to ASCOM and it works. On PI, SkyChart and the scope are miles apart. I do not get the Connect to Scope feature. It would seem that the INDI web front in with drivers would be its same setup. The INI file points to the correct ttyACM0  and EQMOD mount. The protocol is LX200. Under INDI Web Control, LX200 cannot not connect to the scope over the port. This leaves SkyChart obliviously lost and cannot find the scope or Scope position. 

INSI is now update to 1.60. The move required including the PI STRETCH repository to get dependent libraries. Again, being beyond 16G is a must. The promised SkySafari driver is now operational. The SS driver must be linked to the telescope in the setup for the SS to be green. 

Caveats: Always install in the /home/pi directory for every update. 

SS6Pro is the new version. I am not ready to down grade. I dumped more apps because of old software being not compatible with the OS. The problem is the same. 

1. SS6Pro requires a port setup request be acknowledged
    1. HTTP GET /setserial?baud=9600;bits=8;parity=N;stop=1
  2. INDI does not know how to respond. A driver with a SETSERIAL PHP process does not exist.
    1. HTTP 1.6 404 "-" "-" 
  3. SS6Pro ends with "A wireless connection can be made, but the scope is not communicating. Please check that the correct scope has been selected.

What updating gives and takes away

Give: INDI adds many more scopes, accessories, and devices at version 1.60. Many of the locked issues of UTC, Scope and Guide parameters at 5000 and 10000, and Saving/Loading are resolved. Settings are remembered. 

Away: Under version 3 of INDI, SkyWatcher API mount existed. SW-API talks with an EQ6 mount quite well. With 1.60, the SkyWatcher Alt-AZ mount does not talk with the scope. EQMod is the singular solution for an EQ6 mount. 

An EQ6 mount does not exist in SS6Pro. Furthermore, the SS6Pro wants control of the communication with every mount. The mounts it supports are fixed.

The use of INDI works well with many devices including PI STRETCH. I am certain the INDI will find a solution. 1.60 is a stable upgrade for everything but SS6Pro. 

SS6Pro does give a generic opportunity. The opportunity is "Basic Encoder System". INDI is not aware of such a system. The problem is simple, build a "Basic Encoder System" shim. 

#485 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

If I understand correctly you have connection problem with USB/serial devices that identify as /dev/ttyACM0 ?

For background information about the difference between ttyUSB and ttyACM you can read this article:

https://rfc1149.net/...and-devttyacmx/

A very common problem with this devices is because they are wrongly identified as a modem. Then they are taken by the modem manager process that try to automatically configure them to offer the modem connection to the user.

But because of this the port is locked and you can no more open the device with another application like Skychart or INDI.

The solution is to prevent the modem manager to take the device, this is done with a udev rule.

Personally I have this problem with my focuser and it is solved with the following rule:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0461", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0033", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Sure replace the values for idVendor and idProduct by the value you see in the syslog when you connect the device.

Sorry if you already know that, I have not read the previous 480 posts...

• mclewis1 likes this

#486 DavidOrDave

DavidOrDave

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keene, NY. USA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hello again.

Just an update on my progress with iAstroHub. My reliability problems seem to have evaporated after using a better power supply. I'm using a 12v to 5v @ 3A DC/DC converter to run the Pi and my ZWO ASI120C-S camera.

Still no clear skies to actually test in the field, but I'm learning stuff anyway and have high hopes that this will get me going well enough to do primitive guiding and then to refine my setup.

The promise of open-source software finally paid off for me, as I was able to edit the web page easily to add a wider selection of exposure times to the menu on the main page.

Thanks to Anat and all who have spent time pulling this all together.

...Dave. Or David.

• bsavoie likes this

#487 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Hello,

Thank you Peter for your reply. If only resolving issues was that simple. I was reviewing Anat’s iAstroHub Configuration list.  A ser2net configuration is called. I grep’ed for where it was used starting at /home/pi. I did not find where it is supposed to be used. In fact, this step is the singular source for setting 9600 baud, 8-N-1. Only the baud is offered under INDI.

Also, I have attempted to use AstroEX. The lack of configuration options in iAstroHub is a challenge. Hot rodding a scope is not in its deck of option cards. 

But configuration is needed to provide accurate GOTO. Shouldn’t that be the goal?

Everything I am using works under Windows 10, 1709. Windows requires too much and is too big. 

Edited by AradoSKy, 10 March 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#488 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Hello,

Sorry, I said Peter rather than Patrick. I also appreciate all the posts.

#489 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

I presented the SkySafari 6.0 issue to INDI, The SkySafari driver of INDI is maxed out to SkySafari 5 support. I am investigating another option for SkySafari 6 and AstroEQ/AstroHUB. 

#490 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hello,

Well, I have the AstroHUB working with the AstroEQ. This took some effort of upgrading the Jessie image to include the latest releases of software now that this is two years old. INDI is out with 1.60. NGINX is out with patch releases. SKYCHART is out with 4.1.1. Every application listed has some upgrade path which will make this better. Many of these releases require STRETCH pieces. 

I also added the desktop to facilitate the configuration when connected to a monitor. Connect it to the net to get the latest updates. As for SkySafari?  I backed down to 5 Pro. I will fix the NGINX setup and then see how this works with the INDI SkySafari driver. 

• bsavoie likes this

#491 Dennis Sakva

Dennis Sakva

Apollo

• Loc: Kiev, Ukraine

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Is the 3.0.7 version dated 2016 still the latest one? Or were there any updates and I need to redownload it? Thanks!

#492 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Hello,

Yes. 3.07 is the latest version. This is the version I stated on. I am getting closer. To me, the concept is needed. Keeping updated is not for weekend warriors and people working on PHD dissertations. LOL.

I found the SkyChart interface a dead end. INDI starter and SkyChart don’t talk together. Nginx seems to be a key resource to getting SkySafari running with the new update. I am configuring it to run soon after upgrading it. Some pieces had setserial commands in the files.
  • Dennis Sakva and gapperns like this

#493 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hello,

nginx 1.3.10 is operational. What a bear. The nginx.conf file is built by the ./Configure, make, and make install. The PID comment is blanked out with an #. The program is hardwired to look for /run/nginx.pid. The default install has it as /usr/local/nginx/log/nginix.pid. Change the nginx.conf value PID from log/nginx.pid to /run/nginx.pid and it works. No documentation anywhere for that jewel. 

Now to configure PHP. The new version is different than php5. This should not be a problem. 

• bsavoie and gapperns like this

#494 gapperns

gapperns

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hello,

Well, I have the AstroHUB working with the AstroEQ. This took some effort of upgrading the Jessie image to include the latest releases of software now that this is two years old. INDI is out with 1.60. NGINX is out with patch releases. SKYCHART is out with 4.1.1. Every application listed has some upgrade path which will make this better. Many of these releases require STRETCH pieces. 

I also added the desktop to facilitate the configuration when connected to a monitor. Connect it to the net to get the latest updates. As for SkySafari?  I backed down to 5 Pro. I will fix the NGINX setup and then see how this works with the INDI SkySafari driver. 

Have you tried the stretch distribution yet?

#495 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

The AstroHUB is jessi based. I just included the stretch libraries to get the updates to run. This does work. 

• bsavoie likes this

#496 DavidOrDave

DavidOrDave

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keene, NY. USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

Greetings,

We're told not to remove power from the raspberry pi until iAstroHub shuts down, as indicated by the green light going out. But for me, the green light flashes slowly for a long time or indefinitely after shutting down from the iAstroHub admin page. How do we know when it's safe to remove power without "messing up" the SD card?

#497 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

Hello,

Shutdown is pretty rapid (within 10 secs) when viewed from the screen as I am doing. NGINX updates are working. INDI 1.60 and its implementation under iAstroHub is not working. INDIWebManager and INDIControlPanel are blank pages. I am reviewing the build process to see what needs to be updated to get these pieces running. 

• bsavoie likes this

#498 SM3NSE

SM3NSE

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Hi, I'm back.

After a busy year, I could spend time on iAstroHub work now.

Here are some points I'm thinking:

• Pentax
    The iAH could be the best Astro control software which supports Pentax. This is based on pktriggercord which has not been updated for years. And the recent models are not supported (K-1). Gphoto and INDI does not drive Pentax from the first day. I had a plan before to make an INDI-pktriggercord wrapper to make a Pentax driver for INDI. But since the pktriggercord is not updated, and also myself will move from Pentax to ASI, I gave up this plan. I don't think people will try the outdate model like K5 anymore. So it's time to give up Pentaxcrazy.gif 

O no! Please don't drop Pentax support. The K-1 is an awesome astrocamera, and there are ongoing attempts to get it to work with pktriggercord. Please reconsider this decision.

Regards,

Lage

#499 Radiant

Radiant

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Could iAH3.0 support QHYCCD minicam5f? I can't find the model in OpenSkyImager...

#500 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Hello,

Regrettably, INDI 1.6 seems to be the end of the chain at the present. INDI 1.7 is out but not for the Raspian devices. 1.60 is it. Speaking of 1.60, the features that made AstroHub attractive was the Web pieces of INDI. This was tied to a specific build of INDI. Version 1.60 for Raspberry does not have these features. INDI works fine on Raspberry. The pieces needed for AstroHub are the INDI web items working within NGINX. At the present, NGINX's latest version has many new features.

At the present, INDI Web and Control panel do not work very well under AstroHUB. As for QHY devices, 1.7 is where QHY support is most likely to be, at least it is stated to be there. I also have a QHY device. QHY support for Raspberry is spartan at best.  

Jessie is not where INDI is going. Stretch or Ubuntu are the supported Raspian OS derivatives. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics