•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iAstroHub 3.0: IoT for Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#51 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

What is the recommended Raspberry pi 3 hardware?

RPi3 :)

FLIRC case: https://flirc.tv/mor...spberry-pi-case

16GB Class10 micro SD card (SanDisk Ultra)

Anat

Would that include Pi 3 model B?

Yes. RPI3 has only Model B.

https://www.raspberr...y-pi-3-model-b/

Anat

#52 freerobby

freerobby

AstroSwarm (Telescope R/C)

• Vendors

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hi Anat,

Congrats on releasing v3. I'd like to echo others and offer my thanks to you for bringing this to the community and making it available to everyone.

I have been brainstorming a telescope control product that has similar features to iAH but works very differently. Instead of running a server locally and operating across a LAN, it would control hardware entirely via command line tools with APIs in front of them, and operate across a WAN, controlled through a public web site. Admittedly, this adds a great deal of complication and requires much more custom tooling, and as a result it probably does not work as a pure open source project. However it would enable additional features such as:

• letting people control their telescopes while they are at work or running errands
  • allowing people to place their telescopes in remote locations (which can offer better viewing)
  • delegating control of their telescopes to others who may wish to use them
  • live streaming their astronomical observations on social media.

It would also allow rollout of UI improvements and some bug fixes instantaneously to all users of the system, without requiring any work by the end-user. And it would lay groundwork for features or improvements that can take advantage of more processing power than a mobile platform provides. For example, we could massively speed up plate solving by uploading the image and processing it in the cloud and then sending the results back to the mobile computer.

I am still in the planning stages of my proof of concept, and I know this is quite different than what you've built, but you've come so far that I'd kick myself if I did not ask: have you considered taking iAH in this direction? If not, what are your thoughts on adding a REST (or similar) API into iAH to allow entirely programmatic control and querying of it? If this were provided, then rather than build my proof of concept from scratch, I might run a daemon on an iAH computer, ssh tunnel into a cloud box, and from there expose its functionality to a public web interface, which would be used to control it and make its results visible to anyone on the internet. This is much more appealing to me than building it from scratch because very few astro tools can operate fully via CLI -- which means I'd have a lot of work to do. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work on this project -- your time and diligence are very evident and much appreciated.

Robby

#53 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

Robby

Thanks for the idea. I imagine this kind of application from Day1 of the development. I have been using iAstroHub at a remote site using 3G network for more than 2 years. I use ngrok or pagekite to create tunnels. You can access the iAstroHub web interface from XXX.ngrok.io or XXX.pagekite.me.

sudo /home/pi/./ngrok http -log=stdout -subdomain=XXX -region YY -auth="AAA:BBB" 8080 &

sudo python /home/pi/pagekite.py 80 XXX.pagekite.me +password/AAA=BBB &

But if your site has LAN and can set port forwading, you can connect to iAstroHub via the IP address.

Anat

Edited by anat, 10 October 2016 - 03:59 AM.

#54 pepe.lombris

pepe.lombris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:17 AM

Hi!

I have a question relating to focus control. Would it be possible to use focus control together qith qDSLRdashboard, e.g. for automatic EOS lens focusing?

Cheers

Stephan

#55 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi!

I have a question relating to focus control. Would it be possible to use focus control together qith qDSLRdashboard, e.g. for automatic EOS lens focusing?

Cheers

Stephan

Stephan

Focuser control is used for Robofocuser only. You can use qDslrDashboard to drive the lens manually and use LiveView to check focus. A Bahtinov mask would help a lot.

Anat

#56 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi, Anat, do you have any plan to add polar alignment code?

Edited by Mr.Coffee, 12 October 2016 - 09:37 PM.

#57 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hi, Anat, do you have any plan to add polar alignment code?

After finishing the update for this release, I will work on it :). I cannot tell you the time frame. 

Anat

#58 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:50 AM

Hi Anat,

some time ago I started looking into adding polar alignment code to iAstroHub.

As you might remember, I already added the code to iAH to have the graphic polaris position in the polar scope, the way some mount handboxes do.

I think I should still have some code done and papers, I'll take a look.

Please let me know if you're interested, I can send you what I (hopefully :) ) still have.

Thank you.

Piero

#59 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:01 AM

Maybe not all is lost... :)

Attached Thumbnails

• polar.jpg

#60 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:04 AM

Hi Anat,

some time ago I started looking into adding polar alignment code to iAstroHub.

As you might remember, I already added the code to iAH to have the graphic polaris position in the polar scope, the way some mount handboxes do.

I think I should still have some code done and papers, I'll take a look.

Please let me know if you're interested, I can send you what I (hopefully :) ) still have.

Thank you.

Piero

Sure, it would be very helpful. But do you have any references and code for the case where the polaris is not visible?

#61 pepe.lombris

pepe.lombris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

maybe you can contact Giovanni over at http://www.astrogb.c...ate_Solver.html.

He his a very kind person and has developed a software called "all sky plate solver". Among other things it enables polar alignment when polaris is not visible. As far as I know Giovanni offers a comand line access to his software. Maybe he would also share code if you contact him.

Avalon Instruments is developing a software called X-solver which also uses plate solving not neccessarily at the pole region. I think they publish their software as open source. Maybe they are willing to contribute code.

Cheers

Stephan

#62 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

Hi,

maybe you can contact Giovanni over at http://www.astrogb.c...ate_Solver.html.

He his a very kind person and has developed a software called "all sky plate solver". Among other things it enables polar alignment when polaris is not visible. As far as I know Giovanni offers a comand line access to his software. Maybe he would also share code if you contact him.

Avalon Instruments is developing a software called X-solver which also uses plate solving not neccessarily at the pole region. I think they publish their software as open source. Maybe they are willing to contribute code.

Cheers

Stephan

Hi, Stephan, thanks a lot. Actually, the plate solving is already included in iAH.

#63 craigg

craigg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hi Anat,

I'll echo the comments of others, congratulations on the great work, and thank you very much for this fantastic project.  Particularly like the web browser based VNC capability in version 3.0.  It works beautifully so far.  I've also updated with the patch, so I should be running the latest code, I think.

One issue I've come across, I thought I'd give pushover a try.  I've set everything up at pushover.net, added the application and user keys to IAH.  I've also enabled the notifications for end of imaging session and guiding errors in the Admin page.  When the Pi starts up I get a push notification to my phone giving the LAN IP of the Pi (I have it connected via ethernet into my home router).  The problem is, if I run a test DSLR image run, just take 3 shots at 10 seconds each just to test pushover, I don't get any messages on my phone.  Have also checked the notifications in the pushover web portal, I only the see the startup messages (so I think the mechanics of it are working).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

#64 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:37 AM

Craig

Sorry, I will send you the patch soon. I forgot updating codes for DSLRs. 

Anat

#65 craigg

craigg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

Craig

Sorry, I will send you the patch soon. I forgot updating codes for DSLRs. 

Anat

No problem.  Let me know if you want me to test anything.

#66 chaoticaffinity

chaoticaffinity

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

What if  we add the pi camera and use a case like the protoarmor and cs lens  and turn it into a self contained autoguider /  polar alignment tool. 

#67 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

re: using pi camera for guiding cam (or imaging cam)

This topic has been brought up at least two time. 

The  response from me were a big no.  Improper fit, wrong instrument for the purpose.

Explanation were given.as well.

I believe some still felt long exposure capability on that image sensor is good enough, especially when IR-cut filter is removed (being viewed in that community as if its a marvelous feature.)  My view on that is still, no go, but YMMV.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#68 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

I just ordered a Rasberry Pi 3 Model B to try this software out. It looks like a great option for guider/mount/camera control when not using laptop.

I'd like to get some feedback from those who have experience using this device:

1. will it run fine using a 6ft Micro USB cable connected to a 5V 3A source?

2. will it connect and run smoothly via wifi adhoc connection with tablet running Remote Desktop app, i.e. Microsoft RDP?

3. does it overheat in the case running the usual suspect apps, i.e. guider, DSLR, plate solve, mount control?

4. will the ASI174MM work well with the guider app? Does it support ST-4 via the camera and/or ASCOM guide via the mount connection?

5. what is the best size memory to get, particularly to accommodate plate solving and DSLR imaging?

This is primarily how I want to setup and use this. Otherwise, it might not get much use. I'll also read the manual and see what I can figure out.

Looking forward to brushing up on some Linux!! This is a great resource and thanks to all who contributed to its development  :waytogo:

Ciao,

Mel

Edited by HxPI, 17 October 2016 - 09:18 PM.

• Ed S likes this

#69 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

I just ordered a Rasberry Pi 3 Model B to try this software out. It looks like a great option for guider/mount/camera control when not using laptop.

2. will it connect and run smoothly via wifi adhoc connection with tablet running Remote Desktop app, i.e. Microsoft RDP?

3. does it overheat in the case running the usual suspect apps, i.e. guider, DSLR, plate solve, mount control?

4. will the ASI174MM work well with the guider app? Does it support ST-4 via the camera and/or ASCOM guide via the mount connection?

5. what is the best size memory to get, particularly to accommodate plate solving and DSLR imaging?

This is primarily how I want to setup and use this. Otherwise, it might not get much use. I'll also read the manual and see what I can figure out.

Looking forward to brushing up on some Linux!! This is a great resource and thanks to all who contributed to its development  :waytogo:

Ciao,

Mel

Hi Mel

1. Yes. 

2. Yes. You don't need RDP. Everything runs on the web browser.

3. No. I recommend the case by FLIRC which is a heatsink in itself.

4. The software supports ASI but there is no user report on this camera. Yes, the guiding is via ST4 cable.

5. RPi3 comes with 1 GB RAM which is sufficient for those jobs.

Anat

• HxPI likes this

#70 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

Ciao,

Mel

Hi Mel

1. Yes. 

2. Yes. You don't need RDP. Everything runs on the web browser.

3. No. I recommend the case by FLIRC which is a heatsink in itself.

4. The software supports ASI but there is no user report on this camera. Yes, the guiding is via ST4 cable.

5. RPi3 comes with 1 GB RAM which is sufficient for those jobs.

Anat

Great thanks! I have the unit now and will download the software and do some testing. I'll report about the ASI camera when I have something useful to share!

Thanks again.

Ciao,

Mel

#71 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Make sure that the card is 16GB in capacity. I recommend Sandisk Ultra.

I have a Sandisk Extreme and you're right, it works like a champ.

Actually I have a 32GB card and I had to run raspi-config and choose option 1 "Expand Filesystem" to use the card to its full capacity.

Thank you.

Piero

Hello. Can you explain how exactly you expanded the file system? Is this at the command line though SSH?? I have a 64GB card and would like to use the entire space.

Thanks.

Ciao,

Mel

#72 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

Great thanks! I have the unit now and will download the software and do some testing. I'll report about the ASI camera when I have something useful to share!

Thanks again.

Ciao,

Mel

Mel. Thanks. Let me know.

To expand the filesystem, use this command in SSH terminal. 

sudo raspi-config

You will see the option to expand the filesystem.

https://www.raspberr...raspi-config.md

Anat

Edited by anat, 20 October 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#73 indoforever

indoforever

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

hello I have followed your advice I have to buy SD Compatible j map've installed iastro 3.0 it runs very well on my raspberry pi 3 revenche I have a problem I am using a 1200D canon with micro usb cable connect to the pi it work not a can of help would be welcome thank you

#74 craigg

craigg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

hello I have followed your advice I have to buy SD Compatible j map've installed iastro 3.0 it runs very well on my raspberry pi 3 revenche I have a problem I am using a 1200D canon with micro usb cable connect to the pi it work not a can of help would be welcome thank you

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I found I couldn't get my EOS 600D working with version 3.0 either, but it started working after installing Anat's patch.  I assume the photo update fixed whatever it was.

First, though, makes sure you select the correct camera type in the Admin page.  Make sure your camera is in M mode and shutter set to Bulb.

#75 Oleg Astro

Oleg Astro

Astronomy Linux

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albufeira, Portugal

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

Anat,

what software do you use for *.img creation?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics