•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage AP Scopes

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#226 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:49 PM

Are you sure it is the tripod? Sounds like it is just the mount itself flexing. I doubt that adding a small amount of extra weight, that high up, would have much effect. I have the 12" extension too, and when its lock bolts are really tight, it is pretty rigid. But the mount has multiple points where flexure can happen. 

Could you build a portable wind screen? Even something that only partially blocks the wind would reduce the vibration. 

Chip W.

#227 stephenws

stephenws

Explorer 1

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

I hadn't thought of a wind screen. I think that might be possible. 

Thank you. 

#228 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 13 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

I had a 6"f/12 scope on my G11 set up like yours.  Same issue.  I feel the mount is undersize for the weight/moment arm of the tube length.  I still had great times with the scope but only under calm conditions.

Jim

• Observer2006 likes this

#229 stephenws

stephenws

Explorer 1

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:15 PM

I guess that's the price I pay for portability. Anything large enough to really stabilize it would be too heavy for me to carry, as well as a LOT more expensive. I picked up this G11 used for $200. It was in pretty sad condition, but a few $ and some tlc got it back to working condition. All the mounts I see that would be significantly more stable are at least $4k (even used!) and weigh a lot more. 

• Scott99 likes this

#230 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:32 PM

If you don't mind not having go-to, or setting circles, or fine adjustment for polar alignment, you can get an old AP 706 fairly cheaply, and it will handle it. The 6" f9 was rock solid on it, and it's similar in portability to a G11. I got frustrated with all of those aspects of mine, although I'm thinking about setting it up on a permanent mount under a Scopecover 360, close to the house, for times when the observatory is snowed in. I need to make an adapter so I can put a dovetail saddle on it. If you ever find one, be sure it has counterweights. They are screw-on, and you can't get them any more. 

Chip W. 

#231 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

I guess that's the price I pay for portability. Anything large enough to really stabilize it would be too heavy for me to carry, as well as a LOT more expensive. I picked up this G11 used for $200. It was in pretty sad condition, but a few $ and some tlc got it back to working condition. All the mounts I see that would be significantly more stable are at least $4k (even used!) and weigh a lot more. 

sounds like you're getting an excellent return on investment there!  You can get some nice views with the current setup and wait for an unexpected windfall or something for a bigger mount.  There are some that break in half for easier transport.  

Older Mountain Instruments MI-250's are extremely sturdy and come apart with a few screws into 2 pieces, that would easily handle a 6" f/12.  You still need a heavy duty tripod.  Did the older AP 900 mounts break into 2 pieces?  Not sure but that would be another option. 

The problem is that many of us want these older mounts with cheaper, simpler designs so they're hard to find on the used market.   I have no need for any mount technology past the Astro-Physics QMD series or the older MI-250's. 

#232 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:01 PM

Yes, the AP 900 breaks into two very manageable pieces. The QMDs are indeed hard to find. Sometimes you can come across an older CP1 or CP2 goto version at a good price. But the thing about AP mounts is that the accessories are expensive. A 900 CP3 just went for $5500 on AM, but without weights or a hand controller or a pier adapter, which can run another $2K. Many people don't appreciate that an AP mount with accessories for a bit more can be a better deal than a bare mount for what looks like a bargain. As long as a G11 will do the job, it's a reasonable choice. 

Chip W. 

• Scott99 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics