•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY163 mono first shots

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vantaa, Finland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

Got info from QHY: There will be a new driver in couple of days to address the USB2 issues if you have experienced such.

• Aenima likes this

#52 Aenima

Aenima

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Big thanks to you guys for posting, testing, sharing info on the new camera(s).

I read about certain halo problems with bright stars, i was pleased to see none in m45 here, but i am curious as to whether any had shown up in others images.

I saw a Horse head image with a large halo, but it could be down to the filters used, its hard to tell from a processed image.

It seems to be something that (unsurprisingly) cannot be fixed with a driver update, which is a concern. 

Sorry to jump in on the thread, i am just hoping to hear more on the new camera, and specifically regarding the halos.

Thank you for any info. :)

Edited by Aenima, 11 January 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#53 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

I read about certain halo problems with bright stars, i was pleased to see none in m45 here, but i am curious as to whether any had shown up in others images.

I saw a Horse head image with a large halo, but it could be down to the filters used, its hard to tell from a processed image.

It's related to distance between the glass surfaces (filter to sensor). I used rather long spacer taking that M45 image and subs were completely clean.

Next step is to reduce that distance and I may run into trouble doing that, but we'll see. There is still ~35mm between them, which makes me believe I'm safe :)

Reducer.jpg

#54 AlexSB

AlexSB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Herra, what filter wheel are you using with the qhy163m?

#55 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

It's a manual 4 slot 2" filter wheel. Enough to hold luminance and S-Ha-O set.

There is a 72.2mm back focus after the reducer and this train makes it 72.5mm. I extended it with 0.3mm to compensate the NB filters though.

Edited by Herra Kuulapaa, 13 January 2017 - 02:38 AM.

• AlexSB likes this

#56 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Early mornings, they cut imaging time real bad :(

M42_QHY163M_F1200.jpg

Tak f/3.65 & QHY163M, gain 20, OS75, H-alpha, 10x10s, 10x30s and 10x180s - Decided to leave core natural bright rather than over flat.

• hfjacinto, Campos and artem2 like this

#57 vdb

vdb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hi Herra, link to full res somewhere? Really nice I'm imaging the same region with the D600CAM ...

/Yves

#58 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hi Yves,

It's not that great in full size due to limited exposure amount so it's more like an example how the noise can be hidden ;)

I have my main sequence from last night still in process; Rosette. Also it has a bit too little light. Main purpose is to test how far I can push the data though. EDIT: it was enough in the end.

Edited by Herra Kuulapaa, 20 January 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#59 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Here's more adequate amount of exposure data.

TAK f/3.65 & QHY163M, gain 20, OS75, H-alpha, 15 x 300s

QHY163M_Rosette_1200.jpg

• hfjacinto, drjolo, Campos and 3 others like this

#60 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• Loc: Portugal

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Nice one Herra!

Good match for your fov with the Tak :)

You don't seem to have the microlenses reflections issue as I do, so this should be a combination of filter / filter to sensor distance / optical formula used (with or with no reducer etc...).

I should try to find a way to mount the filter further away from the sensor and see if it helps.

Cheers,

#61 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Nice one Herra!

Good match for your fov with the Tak :)

You don't seem to have the microlenses reflections issue as I do, so this should be a combination of filter / filter to sensor distance / optical formula used (with or with no reducer etc...).

I should try to find a way to mount the filter further away from the sensor and see if it helps.

Cheers,

I noticed the small reflection you have. It should clear with increasing the distance though. How close is it right now?

#62 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

I know it's a bit dumb thing to hijack and turn this thread into my imaging thread, but I promise to stop after this if you like me to :)

Rosette is quite bright so decided to test something semi dark, Ced214:
CED214_1200.jpg

TAK f/3.65 & QHY163M, gain 20, OS75, H-alpha, 25 x 300s

Edited by Herra Kuulapaa, 28 January 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• Aenima likes this

#63 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hartfield, VA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

It seems to be something that (unsurprisingly) cannot be fixed with a driver update, which is a concern. 

Sorry to jump in on the thread, i am just hoping to hear more on the new camera, and specifically regarding the halos.

I had my first light ever with mono and my 163M a few nights ago. I seem to be having some issue with the reflections. I'm not sure what might be the cause. Focus could be a little tighter. Do you think that could be it? This is my luminance image of 9 x 180s at gain 5 offset 40.

--Jon

Attached Thumbnails

• LUMINANCE.jpg

• artem2 and dvalid like this

#64 Aenima

Aenima

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

I had my first light ever with mono and my 163M a few nights ago. I seem to be having some issue with the reflections. I'm not sure what might be the cause. Focus could be a little tighter. Do you think that could be it? This is my luminance image of 9 x 180s at gain 5 offset 40.

--Jon

It seems its caused by microlenses on the sensor itself - apparently its quite common, although i've seen a lot of great images from the KAF8300 sensor with minimal reflections, so i am guessing there are certain situations and equipment combinations that make it worse.

I really disliked the effect however, and will not be using the QHY163m - hoping the older QHY9 (kaf8300) camera is less prone to severe reflections, despite also having the microlenses.?

If anyone has experience with this it would be great to hear from them. :)

#65 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

I get the reflection on my camera also. The SBIG 8300C doesn't have it though.

Attached Thumbnails

• M45-Luminince.jpg

• artem2 likes this

#66 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

There's another thread here on CN talking about the microlens diffraction issue. The thought was it is due to inadequate anti-reflective coatings on the cover glass. Maybe this should be brought up in the QHY forums. Until then, I guess we need to stick to targets that are less bright....

--Jon

#67 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:06 AM

There's another thread here on CN talking about the microlens diffraction issue. The thought was it is due to inadequate anti-reflective coatings on the cover glass. Maybe this should be brought up in the QHY forums. Until then, I guess we need to stick to targets that are less bright....

--Jon

How close is your camera to UV/IR filter or any other reflecting/refracting surface?

Increasing the distance (if possible) reduces the hall of mirrors effect and can help to reduce halos.

#68 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the tip. I need to use an 8mm spacer to achieve 55mm bf for my setup. I tried moving the spacer just in front of the camera (between camera and FW) and couldn't reach focus with my OAG. I might be able to do it with two smaller spacers or just try exposing for 2 mins instead of 3 mins. But first, I have to wait for clear skies which may be awhile! :(

--Jon

#69 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

I was talking to Tolga and I'm going to bump the gain and try shorter exposures see if that fixes it.

#70 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

I was talking to Tolga and I'm going to bump the gain and try shorter exposures see if that fixes it.

I have a feeling that it may not help much. Same data will be there with 2min than what it does with 3min, only with a bit weaker snr. So, reflections will stay the same as long as you keep the same optic setup. 55mm is a very tight back focus to fit OAG and everything. Hope you can tweak your setup enough to keep those reflections at bay.

BUT I don't really see camera caused reflections in the M45 image.

EDIT: ok, maybe something small, but it's hard to see them.

Edited by Herra Kuulapaa, 04 February 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#71 Ozy

Ozy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

It's related to distance between the glass surfaces (filter to sensor). I used rather long spacer taking that M45 image and subs were completely clean.

Next step is to reduce that distance and I may run into trouble doing that, but we'll see. There is still ~35mm between them, which makes me believe I'm safe :)

Reducer.jpg

Which OAG is that?  ZWO?

#72 Herra Kuulapaa

Herra Kuulapaa

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

A 16mm thick TS oag: http://www.teleskop-...ngth-16-mm.html

#73 space65

space65

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to use 1,25" filters without vignetting with this camera

Thanks a lot!!

#74 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to use 1,25" filters without vignetting with this camera

Thanks a lot!!

I would like to know this too.  But if you get the soon to be released low profile "lens" adapter (just not with the lens mount) then 1.25" filters should not be a problem.  See http://qhyccd.com/bb...hp?topic=5659.0

#75 space65

space65

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thanks a lot!!

I would like to know this too.  But if you get the soon to be released low profile "lens" adapter (just not with the lens mount) then 1.25" filters should not be a problem.  See http://qhyccd.com/bb...hp?topic=5659.0

Thanks for your help

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics