•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone compare Limiting Magnitude with NV vs Conventional Eyepieces?

NV
This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

Glenn, are you offering to grind me a 12" F2 with an angle grinder and some sandpaper? Amateurs unless experienced are likely to be very bad grinding job and professional opticians hate to be told to do a "bad job"..... my optician friend at work always tries to get crazy smooth and flat finish when all I want is a "vaguely shiny" finish....

Cheers

Peter

#27 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

Peter,

Hardy har! ;)

Actually, the grinding part is child's play. It's the figuring after polishing out where the optician earns his pay. But a system dedicated to *prime focus* work need not be finished to the degree of spherical correction required for small exit pupil visual work. As long as the departure from nominal on the surface has no locally strong slope, i.e., has a more gradual deformation with no pronounced zones, the p-v wavefront error could approach a full wave. The most important region to keep under better control is the outermost edge, because even a fairly narrow annulus here occupies a surprising fraction of the working area.

#28 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

The Pronto was the obvious winner, showing much higher brightness on M31.  At first look it appeared that the star fields were identical.  However, without much trouble, I was able to locate a nearby star that was barely (but clearly) visible in the Pronto that could not be seen at all in the dob.

:waytogo:

This would be a good post for Refractors Forum. Or Reflectors. Or Eyepieces.

#29 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Since this thread never got off the ground with star magnitude tests,

maybe all psyched out from thought experiments,

and naysaying......

I decided to try it with the Sony a7s and a target easy to determine star magnitudes....

FWIW, A link for any future readers:

video demonstration

http://www.cloudynig...magnitude-test/

Cheers!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics