•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone ever forget their scope?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Chirp1

Chirp1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

I have been observing since 1980. I can honestly say that I have never forgot my scope was outside in the backyard,
Left over night. But I have found an eyepiece or two laying on the ground the next day. Anybody have a funny story along this topic? Thanks Bryon C.

#2 JGass

JGass

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

Don't consider this all that funny, but one time I was transferring my gear from my car to my friends truck to carpool to an observing session.  After loading my dob's OTA, he asked me "Where's the base?" 

Doh!

• Augustus likes this

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

It has happened! Fortunately the result for me was only embarrassment.

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 07 October 2016 - 01:05 PM.

#4 wrpspeed16

wrpspeed16

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Davenport,Iowa,USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

I had a friend come to an outreach with everthing he needed--- except the tube assembly. :)

• Augustus likes this

#5 izar187

izar187

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Scope, no.

Tripod, yes.

Left it out in the middle of a clear cut on public land.

The scope is a table top type, with a home-brew tripod just for it, that stores in my vehicle.

Went to use that scope the next night, out under local rural sky...  and no tripod, nor time to go get it that night.

Made the much farther drive out to public land the next day.

Where it was just sittin' , waiting, forlorn and all alone.

#6 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

I have two mounts, that (once upon a time) had different saddles (Losmandy on one, and Vixen on the other).  I am sure you can figure out the rest of the story....

• GJJim and woodscavenger like this

#7 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Scope, no. The tent poles on 6-hour drive star party, YES :(

• EdTheEdge likes this

#8 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Scope- NO

Eyepieces - yes

Finder - yes

Batteries-yes

Charts - yes

Filters - yes

Not at the same time-thank goodness :lol:

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Scope, no....table, cold weather gear...yep.

#10 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

Scope no

Hand control yes

• GJJim likes this

#11 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Scope - No

Tripod - No

Eyepieces - No

Mount - Yes

Diagonal - Yes

Essential adapters - Yes

Star chart - yes

Map to site - yes (discovered after a 2.5 hr drive)

#12 ron2k_1

ron2k_1

Messenger

• Loc: Belize, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

Going to the site:

✓  Scope

Tripod

:4 Tripod Spreader

:4 Spotting Scope

Eyepieces

Filters

From site to home:

Scope

:4 Scope case

Spotting Scope

Eyepieces

:4 Eyepiece covers

Filters

:4 Filter cases

#13 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

I left the ST80 on the eq2 in the back yard all night one time. Next morning my wife shook me awake and said she saw some guy running by the kitchen window with it. I jumped up and ran out the back door in my boxers! When I saw everything still sitting there untouched I heard her laughing. There I was, all worked up and standing in fine fashion. I got her back eventually.

Edited by RussL, 07 October 2016 - 07:49 PM.

• Scott in NC, bgi, hm insulators and 10 others like this

#14 nickcodybarrett

nickcodybarrett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pattison, Ms (a.k.a dark sky heaven)

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

my 8" dob was pointed at zenith and the next morning I woke up to it raining. 

• GJJim likes this

#15 Stu_Travelbee

Stu_Travelbee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana 46725

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:32 PM

I've never forgot my scope as I've always done my viewing from our patio, but...  In my younger days I always took the time to set up my scope in the afternoon so it would adjust to ambient temp by viewing time.  Was watching TV one evening, not thinking of the scope on the patio, when I heard a strange noise on fireplace flu pipe.  Rain!!!  Nothing like a good rain storm on your new refractor to make some dew seem like a small inconvenience... :shocked:   

#16 tchandler

tchandler

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:05 AM

I just forgot my diagonal last night. Luckily, it was only a 10 minute drive away. Experience can mess with you. But you learn...

#17 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

Forgot my diagonal once when going to the other house. Another time it was my eyepiece case. It's an hour-and-a-half drive. Wondering what it will be next time it happens.

Reminds me of when a friend of mine forgot his tux shoes for an important gig we were playing. He ended up playing in his black socks. No one noticed.

#18 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

Just my counterweights for my Atlas.   After driving half way there and 40 minutes, it came to me.  At that point, I just turned around.  

Then I added a list to my 'Notes' app on my phone.  Never missed anything again.....yet.

Bob.

#19 Jim4321

Jim4321

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Biggest thing I've forgotten / lost (so far) is a black plastic center screw that goes thru the spreader plate into the spreader arms;  dropped into the thick 5" grass at an outreach event, looked for, never found. Replaced with a metal screw from Home Depot, painted florescent yellow. Other than that, a few eyepiece caps and small retaining screws.

But a few years back, I started out for a long day's drive to the Outer Banks in my camper, intending to stay for a week+.  Got over an hour down the road, thought, "Hmmm...  I don't recall loading the laptop bag..."  Sure enough, I didn't.  Drove home, unlocked the back door, reached in, and got the 'puter bag off the chair right by the door where I'd put it so I wouldn't forget it.  D'uh!

Jim H.

• Augustus likes this

#20 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yeah. whenever I'm going somewhere else to setup, I'm usually in a rushed state, due to obligations that keep me sitting in front of this computer until the last instant, along with my pets needs (dinner time, making sure they're both in before I leave for an overnight). My OTA, My counterweights, my batteries, my computer, my camera, cables...you name it, I've probably forgotten to pack it in the car in my haste to get somewhere before dark.

the other way, though just a few times. Computer twice at my imaging location. Once, I left the scope outside in the backyard here (ostensibly, to sit and watch tv for a few minutes while waiting for some images to acquire and warm up a bit) and woke to rain hours later...fortunately it was just a brief sprinkle and I got my equipment all inside before the real downpour started. It was a soaker too.

Edited by xiando, 08 October 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#21 RJohn

RJohn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yakima Valley, WA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

I arrived at a public outreach event and unloaded my dob base, placed the OTA on the base, then discovered that I had left home without the two screws that secured the OTA to the base. They were at home stored in the eyepiece case which also had not made the trip. All was not totally lost as I still had my TV-85 with its mount and the eyepieces that reside in its case.

Remember there are only three types of people:

Those who haven't yet

Those who have

Those that will again :flowerred:

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

I left the dob out one late fall evening for about 3 hours...walked out to a giant frosty popcicle.  It had nearly a half inch built up.  Heavy dew/frost is fairly rare here.

#23 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

I left my car keys in waist deep water at the beach. I felt them hit my foot never to be seen again. No choice, had to leave them there. Probably still there 20 years later.

The beach house was our observing site a good hour drive from home. Fortunately a friend drove out the next day and picked up the spare.

Lost set screws and lens caps. Searched my observing site for a lens cap without success. Puzzled, looked everywhere. Found it the next year. Always wondered where it got off too. It was nested inside the other one.

Was shocked to find one eyepeice missing from the case. Only the lens caps were there. Been that way all monsoon season. Where in the heck? I left it in the eyepiece rack, it was smothered in dust.

Left my tripod out one night after packing in. Startled me to realize it was still out there. You know how we are about our equipment. I woke suddenly and bolted out the back door.

Above, someone mentioned a guy running off with his scope. I ran up the street to get a friend to come see Saturn leaving my refractor out back. When I returned, I had to chase my childhood friend a few blocks as he ran off with my sears 60mm achro. Caught him when he set up to look in a neighbors window.

#24 bgi

bgi

Apollo

• Loc: Ga

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

Truss poles for an outreach event, yes.  Luckily, only a 15 min drive.

#25 sg6

sg6

Soyuz

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

Tend to panic too much and oddly not left anything scope related behind - I do have a trolly bag to hold everything in and that means that 100% of the time so far sufficent bits are in it to make me safe. It has worked so far. Means I do have to put the items back in it, but equally the bag acts as somewhere to put things as well.

Worst I did - completely different area - was arrange a weekend boat fishing for myself. 190 miles into the drive I realised I had not actually put the rods in the car. Language was a bit off the scale.

• Max T likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics