•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone ever forget their scope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#26 core

core

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:04 AM

Observing buddy forgot the mirror to his 18" Dob - after a 370 mile drive ...  :(

#27 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:40 AM

Scope no

Tripod no

Wife yes

OK, I jest, I leave her at home when I go to dark sky locations....

#28 DoctorNoodle

DoctorNoodle

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

I had a Coulter blue-tube 10.1 inch Dob. One of the features was that the scope was meant to be stored or transported with the Primary mirror removed. Years ago, I took the scope on a 5 hour drive to a friend's back yard in a dark sky area. I remembered all but one item.

#29 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

I did the same thing a few years ago. Ended up using the telescope to anchor a corner of the easy-up. This is when I discovered that you don't need a telescope to have fun at a star party. I still got to see plenty.

Observing buddy forgot the mirror to his 18" Dob - after a 370 mile drive ...  :(

Edited by bbbriggs, 10 October 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#30 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

Once, many years ago, I set up my GEM mount at an outreach event and discovered that the counterweights were left at home. No participation that night because I couldn't even find a bag to fill with sand as a temporary counterweight.

I have had a bigger problem working on my remote observatory. It's tough when you discover you didn't bring a specific tool and it's 1900 miles away.

#31 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

I keep my XT10 at my cabin but shuttle my eyepieces back and forth. On one trip, the eyepiece case was by the front door but unfortunately it didn't make it on the trip. So far that's thankfully been my only negligent act....

#32 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:19 AM

Left my lawn chair at my dark site.  Had to run back the next day and ge the lonely thing befor eth coyotes and rabbits decided to keep it.

Left my EP box at home....good think for other observers loaning me a couple.

Forgot to charge my battery for my mount.

#33 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

Never forgot my scope.  But I have (on more than a few occasions) left my eyepiece cap on after inserting the eyepiece into my diagonal.  I remember one night when the seeing was not too good and I needed to depressurize from a tough day.  I inserted my 8 Ethos and forgot to take the clear cap on the bottom off.  Anyway it was fairly dark and my refractor gave me beautiful 100 degree views of smudges.  Kept looking at the night sky and pointing to bright stars in between the clouds.  But still no Luck.  Figured the weather and transparency was so bad it was better to pack it in after 15 minutes of trying to see "anything" clearly.   First thing to put away was my eyepiece.  When I realized the clear cap was the cause of my problem, I was truly humbled by my own forgetfulness.  You see, I'm the type of guy that takes life way too seriously at times.  Ended up staying out another hour having a great time looking at objects passing through the clouds.  Laughed about it for some time.  Just what I needed to get my head into a better frame of mind.

Edited by delgado39, 12 October 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#34 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

I once left a finder scope on the trunk of my car. I realized what I had done before I drove the car! :lol:

CS

Jonathan

#35 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:31 PM

The following is a true story...

One night, I ended an observing session with my 6" f/5 Newtonian pointing straight up towards the zenith.  I was too tired, or lazy, to drag it back in, so I left it there in the yard and went in to bed. 

Whilst I slept, I dreamt that it had rained overnight, and in the dream morning arrived, and I went out to check on the telescope.  Still dreaming, I poured out what seemed like a bucket full of water.

When I actually awoke, I went out to check on the telescope, and indeed it had rained during the interim...

...but there was only a total of a couple of tablespoons of water within the tube and on the primary mirror.  I then took the telescope inside and dried it out; no harm done whatsoever.

After drying it out, it was as right as...rain. :grin:  

#36 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Just my counterweights for my Atlas.   After driving half way there and 40 minutes, it came to me.  At that point, I just turned around.  

Then I added a list to my 'Notes' app on my phone.  Never missed anything again.....yet.

Bob.

I forgot my CGEM counterweights once, and I didn't realize it until I started assembling my imaging rig.  Fortunately others were at the observatory and lent me one of theirs instead of having to drive the hour home and back.

#37 wyzguy

wyzguy

Explorer 1

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

I never forgot my scope, the eyepieces are another story however. 

#38 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

It happens to many, including me.

Recently for an outreach event I was setting up and noted I had packed the:

refractor

tripod

stepstool and table

but NOT the black bag that contained the (Microstar) mount, balance weight, finder, red lights, diagonal, and eyepieces.  I later found the bag in my garage, ready to put into the car.

My black bag has since been replaced by a bright orange-yellow one.

- - - - - -

I also know of a fellow observer (with me at a distant, dark site) who forgot the truss tubes to his dob -- that evening we shared my scope and had fun.

#39 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

No, but showed up a 1-man (me) outreach without any EPs.  I KNEW that I'd put them in the back of the truck for the short drive up the interstate to the venue at a local state park.  I was fortunate enough to have some of their EPs available to borrow but the whole time my brain was saying "They were in the truck!"

I found the remains along the interstate the next day.  I'd left them on the tool box of the back while putting the OTA in the bed.  They blew off in my haste.  Lesson learned.

My spousal unit understood but was not happy at this method of EP upgrade.

Edited by kfiscus, 24 October 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#40 rogue river art

rogue river art

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

If you knew how much thinking and work I put into making my scope,mount and clock drive you would know I'd probably have a heart attack if I forgot my setup anywhere and something bad happened to it. The only thing I have forgotten has been some allen wrenches to adjust parts of the mount or clock. The only bad thing that has happen to it was one leg of the tripod broke loose while it was setup with wheels so I could roll it out if the garage. I was very lucky in that I was 2' from it and it fell into my arms and I stopped it from hitting the driveway. I got hurt in the chest and arm from 200 lbs of scope and brass mount falling 5' .

#41 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

:shocked:

Heart attack for sure.  Adrenaline rush of epic proportions.  Night mares?

#42 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

I have gone to the viewing site & left all the wiring for the scope. :foreheadslap:

#43 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:29 AM

My philosophy with things like this when they happen is "Well, I won't ever do THAT again...".  The worse the mistake, the more likely it is that I won't repeat it.  Experience (mental scars) makes things better in the long run, I hope.

#44 RJohn

RJohn

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

The best way I've found to avoid the "Well, I won't ever do THAT again...". from happening again is to make note of the event on my checklist right away. Then I just have to remember to get the list and follow it the next time. Relying on my memory will sooner or later expose another of those little lapses that seem to bite me again.

#45 thomasb98908

thomasb98908

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

my 8" dob was pointed at zenith and the next morning I woke up to it raining. 

Well, its a good way to wash the dust off the primary - - - - just say'n <G>

#46 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:34 AM

Several times I have forgotten what I like to call dealbreaker gear which prevents me from doing Astrophotography or any type of astronomy whatsoever of course this also means I've driven 1 to 2 hours to the Darksite.

#47 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Almost. I got a mile down the road and realized I had an empty seat next to me where the OTA was supposed to be. I once got an imaging session all setup, then opened the case to see the empty spot where the camera was supposed to be.

#48 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Never forgot the telescope. But, once I took an hour and a half drive out for some viewing. I went to set up and discovered I had forgotten the truss poles. Had to come home. That night, I really needed some viewing because of the stress of work.

#49 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Scope, no. The tent poles on 6-hour drive star party, YES :(

I remembered the tent poles. Just not the tent. :p

#50 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

Well I pulled another **** tonight  :( Drove 90 minutes to a site. Got setup and observed for 30 minutes. As it became astronomical twilight it got chilly so I went to the car to get my coat...and nothing. It was still at home in the closet. Drove all the way home to get it and set up again in a local light polluted site & made the most of it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics