•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik One 6.0 vs Starlight Express Trius Sx694

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Strosek

Strosek

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hello to all.
My association has to buy a CCD for our telescope, finally mounted in the dome. We have a Vixen 115s and probably (I’m not sure about this) a RC8-10” or a Newton 8-10”.
Nevertheless, up to now I’m focused on two options (both used):
Atik One 6.0 + OAG + Atik GP with internal 5 filter carusel 1.25” 2200€ (filters not included)
Starlight Express Trius Sx694 + OAG + Lodestar 2x with internal 5 filter carusel 1.25” 2800€ (Baader set filters included)
1) Are the two cameras suitable for astrophotography? We are not interested in photometry, so we are searching for Anti Blooming Cameras
2) The two cameras are very similar: same CCD sensor, same architecture. The main differences, as far as I know, is the guiding camera: I think that the Lodestar is better than the Atik GP but It seems that also the Atik works fine
3) Have you other suggestion for different solutions? We need all the photo equipment, guiding included
Clears skies to you all!

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Fife Lake Mi.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

I think either imager will be fine.I do not have or owned and ATIK as I use Strarlight xpress imagers but I think either way you would be ok.

#3 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

Hello to all.
My association has to buy a CCD for our telescope, finally mounted in the dome. We have a Vixen 115s and probably (I’m not sure about this) a RC8-10” or a Newton 8-10”.
Nevertheless, up to now I’m focused on two options (both used):
Atik One 6.0 + OAG + Atik GP with internal 5 filter carusel 1.25” 2200€ (filters not included)
Starlight Express Trius Sx694 + OAG + Lodestar 2x with internal 5 filter carusel 1.25” 2800€ (Baader set filters included)
1) Are the two cameras suitable for astrophotography? We are not interested in photometry, so we are searching for Anti Blooming Cameras
2) The two cameras are very similar: same CCD sensor, same architecture. The main differences, as far as I know, is the guiding camera: I think that the Lodestar is better than the Atik GP but It seems that also the Atik works fine
3) Have you other suggestion for different solutions? We need all the photo equipment, guiding included
Clears skies to you all!

I faced a similar decision and ended up with the Starlight but I also owned an Atik 420 and 490.

1) Yes both are perhaps the best astrophotography cameras available for the FOV.  Less noisy then the KAF-8300, don't require darks, almost the same QE as anti-blooming cameras (mid 70s).

2) The Starlight also has deeper cooling and I liked the flexibility to change cameras.  The Lodestar X2 has a built in ST4 port which might be a big benefit depending on your mount.  I will say the Atik software support was much better BUT the SX has better construction.

3) I would also look at the QSI660 or the QHY695 .  For the RC10" (I own this one) or RC8" understand that you are going to get a limited field of view (but honestly its a galaxy scope anyways because the field is not flat). 

#4 ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • Loc: South east France

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:30 AM

I'd go for Atik on reliability grounds. 

#5 JJK

JJK

Gemini

• -----

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

I'd go for Atik on reliability grounds. 

What is the basis of your claim?

#6 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:43 PM

I have the Atik One 6.0 OAG, nice camera, good cooling and very quiet as far as noise. I like it. 

I'm not a fan of Baader LRGB filters, lots of halos.

Blueman 

#7 Strosek

Strosek

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:04 AM

Thanks a lot for you feedback. More or less, the two cameras have similar performance and the sensor seems to be very good, in particular for noise control.

My only doubt regards the FOV. Searching on 2nd hand, I've also found a Moravian G2 8300 Mono with KAF8300 sensor with ABG (must!) and internal filter wheel. As far as I know, Kodak sensor is less good for noise control even if this camera can reach -50°C respect to out temperature. In advantage, I have a bigger FOV. What do you think can be better for the two scopes, the Vixen and the ipotetical RC-Newton 8"? Is the FOV so important for astrography? Up to now, I've only used the Canon APSC sensor so I'm a little scared to losse too much FOV.

Thank you in advanage for your feedback.

@Blueman: which is you feedback for the OAG?

Edited by Strosek, 11 October 2016 - 01:05 AM.

#8 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:04 AM

Thanks a lot for you feedback. More or less, the two cameras have similar performance and the sensor seems to be very good, in particular for noise control.

My only doubt regards the FOV. Searching on 2nd hand, I've also found a Moravian G2 8300 Mono with KAF8300 sensor with ABG (must!) and internal filter wheel. As far as I know, Kodak sensor is less good for noise control even if this camera can reach -50°C respect to out temperature. In advantage, I have a bigger FOV. What do you think can be better for the two scopes, the Vixen and the ipotetical RC-Newton 8"? Is the FOV so important for astrography? Up to now, I've only used the Canon APSC sensor so I'm a little scared to losse too much FOV.

Thank you in advanage for your feedback.

@Blueman: which is you feedback for the OAG?

It really depends on what you want to image.  For most galaxy and globular shots even FOV of 20'x20' or smaller is enough and you will have significantly more then that. For nebula and open clusters you want a bigger field which is why I have a WO Star 71.  I suggest giving this site a try. http://www.12dstring....me.uk/fov.htm 

Personally I would rather have the lower noise and higher QE especially for galaxies and Ha.  For really long focal length and well corrected optics I would consider a KAF16200 but that would require a significant step up for you in optics and CCD expense.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics