•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#251 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Overcast again today all day !tongue2.gif

I'll just go ahead and post the indoor pictures . IF ... the sunlight ever shines through the clouds again here , I'll get outdoor pictures .

The missing counterweight , was corrected with a piece of 1" round stock , end drilled and tapped for a 1/2'' 13NC stud . That then screwed into the end of the Dec. shaft . I don't know if this is correct as per OEM . Not ever seeing another Waring mount to compare too ,but it works with a 5 lb. weight  , for the time being , or till I see an example of the original counterweight arrangement  . 

I has that exact mount for many years, purchased and used right here in the Cleveland area back in the day. I think my dec shaft was shorter if I recall correctly.

I used it with an 8inch Newtonian I assembled for planetary work.

When Scott Horstman from Backyard Observatories build my ROR observatory I gave that mount to him. He may therefore know it's current wherebouts

Oddly enough, I recently landed up with another piece of Cleveland telescope making history.

Last summer at a local estate sale I nabbed a Unitron 153 GEM that was atop a badly beat-up (but substantial) tripod. It turns out it was made at Waring Cleveland

Tripod 1

• Mr Magoo and TOM KIEHL like this

#252 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:35 AM

Buy an air compressor and a gravity-feed paint gun.  You can then apply any texture or splatter pattern that you like, properly, with a little practice, and no need for grandpa's toothbrush.   Easy and repeatable.

If you're going to be doing restorations for a while, you may as well break-down and get it.  For just one though, it doesn't make sense.

I also used to do star backgrounds (splatter), by lowering the air pressure on a airbrush, but it's probably a little too fine for a mount.

That said, If you already have a small air compressor you might be able to do a good splatter job with a cheap Harbor Freight touch up gun. 

https://www.harborfr...-gun-92126.html

• Mr Magoo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics