•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
258 replies to this topic

#251 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• In Memoriam
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Overcast again today all day !tongue2.gif

I'll just go ahead and post the indoor pictures . IF ... the sunlight ever shines through the clouds again here , I'll get outdoor pictures .

The missing counterweight , was corrected with a piece of 1" round stock , end drilled and tapped for a 1/2'' 13NC stud . That then screwed into the end of the Dec. shaft . I don't know if this is correct as per OEM . Not ever seeing another Waring mount to compare too ,but it works with a 5 lb. weight  , for the time being , or till I see an example of the original counterweight arrangement  . 

I has that exact mount for many years, purchased and used right here in the Cleveland area back in the day. I think my dec shaft was shorter if I recall correctly.

I used it with an 8inch Newtonian I assembled for planetary work.

When Scott Horstman from Backyard Observatories build my ROR observatory I gave that mount to him. He may therefore know it's current wherebouts

Oddly enough, I recently landed up with another piece of Cleveland telescope making history.

Last summer at a local estate sale I nabbed a Unitron 153 GEM that was atop a badly beat-up (but substantial) tripod. It turns out it was made at Waring Cleveland

Tripod 1

#252 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:35 AM

Buy an air compressor and a gravity-feed paint gun.  You can then apply any texture or splatter pattern that you like, properly, with a little practice, and no need for grandpa's toothbrush.   Easy and repeatable.

If you're going to be doing restorations for a while, you may as well break-down and get it.  For just one though, it doesn't make sense.

I also used to do star backgrounds (splatter), by lowering the air pressure on a airbrush, but it's probably a little too fine for a mount.

That said, If you already have a small air compressor you might be able to do a good splatter job with a cheap Harbor Freight touch up gun. 

https://www.harborfr...-gun-92126.html

#253 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:49 PM

AND I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ......... http://www.cloudynig...et-not-working/

We have no such issues here. We have hard copies of every S&T magazine from the first issue forward. They are all in mint condition, are stored in archival sleeves and are placed into 3 ring binders. We also have most of The SKY as well. This is why dad insisted on keeping them. He knew that technology could not be trusted as well as humans and politics.

This is just one more reason why we keep a XP-Pro machine at the ready. Our normal machine is a Windblows Seven Pro Laptop. Dad hates W-Ten intensely. We do have a Ten machine but, it's reserved for (my) gaming and watching shows from overseas such as Japanese anime. There is nothing in the USA that is worth watching plus, we get better and unbiased news from overseas.

Last, for those who want to start with the "no updates" bravo sierra, we still get updates for both XP-PRO AND Windsucks Seven! We got several shortly before Christmas. They are few and far between but, they did come in.

Dad says that reading and storing books and magazines is the best way to battle Fahrenheit 451! LOL

Q

#254 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

Dad is drooling over all of this stuff about Cleveland. He grew up in the Chagrin Falls area and was a member of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society (CVAS) for years. He joined them in 1968 when they were only three years old and still meeting in members houses every month.

We have a Cleveland Astronomics GEM and tripod here. It's currently out in the shed awaiting to be brought back into service. He says he bought it when they were having a going out of business sale, or stock liquidation sale, or something. His father had to drive him to and from since he was not yet old enough to drive. He used that mount for an 8" f/7 Newtonian that he built.

Anyway, we just wanted to toss that out for the heck of it.

Q

#255 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:10 PM

I love your dad’s wise philosophy! I got rid of my paper copies of S$T some years ago when I acquired the complete collection on DVD (or maybe they were CDs)? Did the same with my National Geographics (and the maps!). I figured I’d have a bulletproof collection for the ages and would just add additional years as they became available on similar digital media. Well, we all know how that went! Things that previously ran on my computer ceased after update! What a racket!

Edited by Terra Nova, 11 January 2021 - 08:17 PM.

#256 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

I love your dad’s wise philosophy! I got rid of my paper copies of S$T some years ago when I acquired the complete collection on DVD (or maybe they were CDs)? Did the same with my National Geographics (and the maps!). I figured I’d have a bulletproof collection for the ages and would just add additional years as they became available on similar digital media. Well, we all know how that went! Things that previously ran on my computer ceased after update! What a racket!

Technology advancing, an EMP or a CME. What's the difference in the end? A lot of the ancient civilizations wrote on walls instead of that new fangled invention known as papyrus. Which lasted longer? Hmmmmmmmmm... It's pretty hard for an animal to chew on a hieroglyphic document and it seems that some of them stand up to weather rather well, too. Now, it's books against magnetic storage. I'm betting on books lasting longer, unless, Big Brother begins a Fahrenheit 451 campaign. LOL

It's interesting how the astronomy community never thought about those items. Fortunately, some of us did. (Grin)

#257 RichA

RichA

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:24 AM

Technology advancing, an EMP or a CME. What's the difference in the end? A lot of the ancient civilizations wrote on walls instead of that new fangled invention known as papyrus. Which lasted longer? Hmmmmmmmmm... It's pretty hard for an animal to chew on a hieroglyphic document and it seems that some of them stand up to weather rather well, too. Now, it's books against magnetic storage. I'm betting on books lasting longer, unless, Big Brother begins a Fahrenheit 451 campaign. LOL

It's interesting how the astronomy community never thought about those items. Fortunately, some of us did. (Grin)

More like, "Big Tech."

#258 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:48 PM

Optical media like CDs and DVDs aren’t magnetic and should last a long time. They just need to have a uniform standard of data recording and storage so that they can be read regardless,of changes in operating systems.

#259 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

This topic has run its course and has moved beyond its original purpose.  Locking it up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics