•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#26 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Edmond made some custom scopes...

#27 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Looks like Bomber Bob's mystery Mak!

I know mine is an ATM because the Builder left his calibration marks on some pieces.  Could an amateur build Tom's OTA?  Yes.  The mount?  I think the main components are commercial, but an ATM could refine & customize extensively.

Congratulations Tom!  You find the coolest stuff!

• Datapanic and TOM KIEHL like this

#28 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western, MD.

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

You sure find some cool stuff Tom. :bow:  Must be looking 24-7.   :lol:   You really should bring a few over to NEAF with us. Share with everyone there.  Congrats on another remarkable find.   :bow:  :bow:

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#29 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

Looks like Bomber Bob's mystery Mak!

I know mine is an ATM because the Builder left his calibration marks on some pieces.  Could an amateur build Tom's OTA?  Yes.  The mount?  I think the main components are commercial, but an ATM could refine & customize extensively.

Congratulations Tom!  You find the coolest stuff!

We all thought the Maynard Clark mount was commercial too, but that proved to be otherwise.  The ATM skills back in the day were something to be commended for.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#30 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Mariner 2

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

Wow that is a work of art. I would love to own that scope today.  My I ask how you found this gem?

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#31 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

" The ATM skills back in the day were something to be commended for."

No doubt.  But I look at the tripod hub castings, and I see commercial.  The cap, though, is something my local machinists could make to adapt a pedestal mount to a tripod (like my D&G / Jaegers conversion).  The threaded corrector cell & retaining ring on my Mak looks commercial, but I'm certain the same person who made the mirror cell made it, too.

If a hobbyist made Tom's complete rig... Double Wow!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 October 2016 - 11:28 PM.

• Deep13 and TOM KIEHL like this

#32 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Mariner 2

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:25 PM

Yeah, I was looking at the RA motor mount / housing (and other castings!).  There was some serious effort there.

The setting circles are very nice. Well done whoever did them.

Would love to see this baby polished up : )

post-213982-0-56354600-1475997887.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 09 October 2016 - 11:27 PM.

• Deven Matlick and TOM KIEHL like this

#33 Datapanic

Datapanic

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:01 AM

It would definitely be a good candidate for shiny-ness! 

I'm still going with ATM.  It would be interesting to search for it in back issues of S&T.

Can't wait for Tom to take it apart to see how it was put together.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#34 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

I wouldn't shine that up.  I'd leave it original.  But then, I like restomods, so who am I to talk?  Still, this one is pretty unique.  I'd likely leave it as is.

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Bill Griffith and 2 others like this

#35 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

I dunno.  I don't see one part that's a raw machined part, everything looks cast.  S&T occasionally had kit or casting kits advertised.  This may have been one of them.  Remarkable find.  Change out the cap head bolts for SS and make a replacement motor cover and it will look a million.  I hope the optics are as high a quality as the rest.  Nice find.

Jim

• TOM KIEHL, Pezdragon and Bomber Bob like this

#36 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:59 AM

Out here on the left coast post WWII aircraft manufactures were fairly quick to retool for the jet age / aerospace.   

The few that I'm familiar with all had astronomy clubs.

Employees were encouraged to work on their own projects when work slowed, and many skilled tool and dye machinists started on their ATM projects. 

Cast parts need a positive for the mold.  For parts as intricate as like the RA housing likely more than a 1 was cast.

All speculation of course, but the mount appears aviation driven to me  

The ATM projects that we are lucky to find today from that time is absolutely  amazing!

Bill

Edited by Bill Griffith, 10 October 2016 - 07:13 AM.

• Datapanic, terraclarke, bremms and 3 others like this

#37 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

Out here on the left coast post WWII aircraft manufactures were fairly quick to retool for the jet age / aerospace.   

The few that I'm familiar with all had astronomy clubs.

Employees were encouraged to work on their own projects when work slowed, and many skilled tool and dye machinists started on their ATM projects. 

Cast parts need a positive for the mold.  For parts as intricate as like the RA housing likely more than a 1 was cast.

All speculation of course, but the mount appears aviation driven to me  

The ATM projects that we are lucky to find today from that time is absolutely  amazing!

Bill

I think Bill is correct on this one. The design and quality smack of aviation parts. May not be"commercial" but that is some very professional casting and machining. To me, the machine work is easier than the casting. Have to say it is a beautiful mount.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#38 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

I have no information on the specific scope, but it very much reminds me of the Nautilus situation.

The Nautilus was made in the late 1940's.  It was a production scope by a company that lasted about two years as a best guess. The manufacturer was Astro-Telescope-Company as cast into the parts. The company had no retail outlets and used a local store for a sales front. One of the owners of the store was an exceptional machinist that highly modified the scope I have. The machinist added the rotating rings (actual ball bearing rings), the entire drive system (motor dated June 1947), the slow motion controls with ingenious fine/course thread movement, and possibly other things long lost to posterity.

A very small add was finally located in a 1949 issue of Sky & Telescope for Astro-Telescope-Company.  At one point I managed to talk to the grandson or cousin XX times removed or something like that, who had distinct memories of his machinist ancestor and the telescopes.

No doubt a lot of this telescope production of impressive nature spilled out of the war. Not only in the form of actual companies, but also in the form of ATM mods or entire builds of indeterminate form between company and ATM.   The OP scope seems to be of a similar time frame as well as unknown manufacture.  I hope it can be further identified, but it could likely become a passive curiosity as lost to time as the Japanese symbols. The best that can be done for sure, for the passion of the scopes, is to preserve it as a functional record, a memory. The Nautilus works perfectly in all its mechanics, gives excellent optical performance, and I try to keep the cosmetics stunning with preservation of appropriate patina.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nautilus 001.JPG
  • more antique 004.JPG
  • tube and tele 002.JPG
  • more antique 006.JPG

• Mr Magoo, Deven Matlick, Bill Griffith and 7 others like this

#39 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Wow.  Some of y'all could open very interesting telescope museums.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#40 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

Wow.  Some of y'all could open very interesting telescope museums.

Yeah,  I long considered that but it would completely occupy a bigger barn. It was often a thought of mine to do so. I've NEVER had a person or couple come over and be disappointed it a little tour of my 'Country Scope Museum up on Blocks'.

Can be hick here, can be engineer too.

I still have full restoration scopes with all my reversible ditties, Edmund, Meade, Criterion, Celestron, more. At this stage of life and mental stability, I can't justify the finished scopes not to mention the horde of projects. .

• Deven Matlick and TOM KIEHL like this

#41 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

Home made deal neal.

How many ATM's have a foundry at their home ,Gnome?  

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 10 October 2016 - 11:50 PM.

• Geo31 likes this

#42 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

I don't think that's an ATM mount - the parts are cast, then machined, and while it may have been created by a very good patternmaker/machinist and sand-cast parts, I'm not thinking that is so......that's a lot of time and effort for one-off castings!

Thanks roscoe , That's what I thought also .

#43 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

Tube is not a Parks.

I don't think Parks made Aluminum tubes . :lol:

#44 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:04 AM

That really is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. To me, it looks like some sort of prototype. As was mentioned, it looks like a lot of expense in pattern work for just a single build. There appears to be a few non-casting machined parts that would be better suited to casting, which gives the appearance of ATM, but my money is still on a prototype build.

Bill

My Sentiments Exactly :waytogo: .... Surely there was more than one made . :scratchhead:

• terraclarke and Geo31 like this

#45 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:57 AM

Home made deal neal.

How many ATM's have a foundry at their home ,Gnome?  

Casting aluminum is actually surprisingly easy. It melts at 660°C and can be easily melted in an steel pot over barbeque charcoal that you feed air with a small compressor or blower. The sand casting process is also extremely simple, although more of an art, than a science. There's video's of it on Youtube. This one explains it very clearly:

https://www.youtube....h?v=M95bhPrDwA0

Notice how complicated this casting is. It would be trivially simple, by comparison, to make the castings for the german equatorial in this thread. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Deven Matlick, terraclarke and bremms like this

#46 TSSClay

TSSClay

Messenger

• Loc: Manchester MI

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Casting aluminum is actually surprisingly easy. It melts at 660°C and can be easily melted in an steel pot over barbeque charcoal that you feed air with a small compressor or blower. The sand casting process is also extremely simple, although more of an art, than a science. There's video's of it on Youtube. This one explains it very clearly:

https://www.youtube....h?v=M95bhPrDwA0

Notice how complicated this casting is. It would be trivially simple, by comparison, to make the castings for the german equatorial in this thread. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thomas,

I would agree that those castings could have been made in a home casting situation, but, the finish and lack of visible porosity on the surface would indicate to me a very well temperature controlled system more indicative of a professional casting plant.  Still could have been done at home - especially if the maker was a professional foundry-man or pattern maker.  Most home sand castings have a very rough exterior finish and a fraught with porosity holes that look ugly - but don't mean much.

Those castings are VERY well done and speak "professional" to me.  I can't wait until Tom unravels more info on this setup and we get the history.

Clay Kessler

• Deven Matlick, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#47 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

Tom, can you tell if the Unitron finder is original to the construction of the OTA (no other finder bracket holes, holes appear to have been drilled only once)? If so, that is a newer style finder from the later 1960s and more recent times. Unless it replaced an earlier finder who's brackets perfectly matched the holes it could provide a clue to dating it.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#48 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Tom, can you tell if the Unitron finder is original to the construction of the OTA (no other finder bracket holes, holes appear to have been drilled only once)? If so, that is a newer style finder from the later 1960s and more recent times. Unless it replaced an earlier finder who's brackets perfectly matched the holes it could provide a clue to dating it.

Yes Terra , the Unitron finder is original to the OTA's construction . If you look at the last image of my first post , you will notice two aluminum tabs on the bottom of the ota that are drilled and tap for threads . I think at one time this might of been a location for a longer finder / guide scope and rings now long gone . Notice too , that the aluminum tabs are 180* from the Unitron finder .

#49 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

So if that is the original finder, the OTA had to have been constructed after around 1967. Now the question becomes- Was the mount original to the scope?. If that too is yes, then there should be someone here who remembers them, assuming they were manufactured.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#50 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

Maybe it's time to plow through my S&T CD box set...

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• Deven Matlick, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics