•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#76 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

How cool! It falls right into the time period that I proposed in my previous post based on the Unitron finder.

"So if that is the original finder, the OTA had to have been constructed after around 1967. Now the question becomes- Was the mount original to the scope?. If that too is yes, then there should be someone here who remembers them, assuming they were manufactured."

Edited by terraclarke, 12 October 2016 - 02:01 PM.

• clamchip and TOM KIEHL like this

#77 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

How cool! It falls right into the time period that I proposed in my previous post based on the Unitron finder.

"So if that is the original finder, the OTA had to have been constructed after around 1967. Now the question becomes- Was the mount original to the scope?. If that too is yes, then there should be someone here who remembers them, assuming they were manufactured."

Why yes it does Terra . I guess not all the thanks goes to Johann , but to you and all the cloudy night community . Johann is the one that produced the picture of the ad . EVERYTHING in the ad pictured in Johann's post  confirms what the second owner of C.A.(Cleveland Astronimics ) surviving family member has told me via phone conversations. I just needed to see some sort of proof before I posted  . I might of found the ad on my own ...BUT.... my S&T DVD's stopped working with this new Windows 10 with it's new Adobe flash thingamgig , darn computers anyway !!!  I have all the S&T's hard copies , the dvd,s are faster , but not as fast as Johann :lol: .

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#78 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

The design is somewhat reminiscent of this classic.....

http://www.staples.c...?akamai-feo=off

#79 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

That's the book I used when I made my 6" Newt 50 years ago (the drab old brown hardcover). I still have both the book and the telescope! :)

• clamchip, bremms and Bomber Bob like this

#80 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

Tom you should open a telescope museum and you and I should get married.

Robert

Edited by actionhac, 12 October 2016 - 09:01 PM.

• terraclarke and TOM KIEHL like this

#81 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

" The Celestron girls were much better to look at than Norm Edmund, although if

Norm was still alive I'd kiss the man I love him so much for making my life what

it is."

Robert

Tom you should open a telescope museum and you and I should get married.

Robert

After those two quotes ..............OK yes , I will , or is it , I DO ! .... Only , If Cheryl is in the Prenup because I can't cook . But I guess we could eat SPAM !  Can we adopt CHASLX200 as our son ?  We could have Chuck Hards do the ceremony . :rofl: :roflmao: :ohmy:

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 13 October 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• clamchip, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#82 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Yes siree - These threads do sometimes tend to grow in rather strange ways... :lol:

Bill

• clamchip, roscoe, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#83 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Tube is not a Parks.

I don't think Parks made Aluminum tubes . :lol:

They did, or have someone make them for a while.

#84 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

It's nice to see a working example of the scope I had back in the mid-sixties!! I lived in Cleveland, Ohio back in the fifties and sixties and moved out to LA in the early seventies. My parents bought me the Cleveland Astronomics 6" Newtonian for a Christmas present around 1965. I used it extensively for several years before I sold it and moved up to a 10" Newtonian-Cassegrain. That one was made by the optician who did the mirrors for Cleveland Astronomics. He did work on the side, when not making mirrors for them. The scopes were great!! I saw the ad you displayed here for the "advanced" scopes made in conjunction with VERNONscope, and I always wished I could get the money to buy one of those beauties (I was in college at the time and could not afford those). I briefly met and talked to the owner of Cleveland Astronomics while I was a member of the Cleveland Astronomical Society. He was a great guy. Somewhere I have their catalogs buried away, I'll have to see if I can dig them out.

• terraclarke likes this

#85 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

That one was made by the optician who did the mirrors for Cleveland Astronomics. 

I briefly met and talked to the owner of Cleveland Astronomics while I was a member of the Cleveland Astronomical Society. He was a great guy.

Do you remember the names of the optician and the owner ?

#86 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, no, as it's just been too long ago!! I may have some notes on this buried away, but it will take some time to dig them out (that's from about fifty years ago!!).

#87 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

I once owned a Cleveland Astronomics mount. As I recall they were somewhere on the near west side of Cleveland. I used the mount for an 8 inch reflector that I assembled back in the mid 70's... About 10 years ago I gave the mount to  to Scott Horstman of Backyard Observatories fame. The moubt was rock solid but not the same as the photo earlier in this thread - I believe it had the name "Cleveland Astronomics" embossed on the Declination axis if memory serves.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#88 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

gallery_4150_6608_124718.jpg

• Deven Matlick, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#89 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Thanks semiosteve ,

I see you found an earlier ad for C.A. with the Chagrin Falls address . May of '59  was the first ad in S&T magazine for C.A. with the Chagrin Falls address . Sometime in the 1960's the address changed to Lawn ave. Cleveland , Ohio .   On  July 3,1965 John R . Faloon the owner of C.A. passed away . That is where I am stuck ....?.... I can't figure out the connection between John R. Faloon and Simon " Sim " Holler  ( the last owner of Cleveland Astronomics ) Mr. Simon 'Sim' Holler passed away in 2011. Sim Holler designed and built the scope pictured in post  # 1 of this thread  with his company / shop  located in Berea  , Ohio .  Was Faloon and Holler partners  ? OR did Holler buy Faloons company and company name after Faloon died ? Sim Holler's daughter does not remember a John R. Faloon when I ask her about him or the Chagrin Falls and Lawn ave. address's . Hopefully I will be able to answer these and more questions when I meet Sims daughter over the holidays .

• gelkin, Geo31 and Bomber Bob like this

#90 gelkin

gelkin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western, MD.

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

Man, all the cool deals are in Ohio.   :cool:

• TOM KIEHL, Geo31 and TSSClay like this

#91 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

Thanks semiosteve ,

I see you found an earlier ad for C.A. with the Chagrin Falls address . May of '59  was the first ad in S&T magazine for C.A. with the Chagrin Falls address . Sometime in the 1960's the address changed to Lawn ave. Cleveland , Ohio .   On  July 3,1965 John R . Faloon the owner of C.A. passed away . That is where I am stuck ....?.... I can't figure out the connection between John R. Faloon and Simon " Sim " Holler  ( the last owner of Cleveland Astronomics ) Mr. Simon 'Sim' Holler passed away in 2011. Sim Holler designed and built the scope pictured in post  # 1 of this thread  with his company / shop  located in Berea  , Ohio .  Was Faloon and Holler partners  ? OR did Holler buy Faloons company and company name after Faloon died ? Sim Holler's daughter does not remember a John R. Faloon when I ask her about him or the Chagrin Falls and Lawn ave. address's . Hopefully I will be able to answer these and more questions when I meet Sims daughter over the holidays .

I saw that ad in the 1970 S&T i have, but it did not look like the mount you had Tom so I did not mention it.  Interesting the company was around from 1959 to at least 1970.

Edited by starman876, 15 October 2016 - 09:13 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#92 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

I had a PM with " pstarr " (CN member ) and he lives in Cleveland . He told me Sim Holler had a 8 or 10" cass set up in his office . I also showed Paul '' pstarr '' a picture of the telescope and he agreed that very well could be the scope that Sim had in his office . Have had a phone interview with Tom Dobbins of Dobbins Instrument Company , another Cleveland based company of the same time period .Tom Dobbins and Sim Holler were friends .  That conversation was extremely informative and look forward to speaking with  Tom again .  Tom told me that Sim was a heavy pipe smoker , the Vernon / Cleveland scope is a testament to that . I' m in the process of cleaning the nicotine off the OTA and touching up some missing paint chips . I am keeping this scope as original as I can . The OTA appears to of been painted with some sort of brush on 2 part epoxy paint . Before cleaning the OTA looked like some tone of Mocha off white , maybe a dark ivory . After cleaning with Spitfire and a polish out with polishing compound , the finish now best matches a Dover White . The glass cleaned up very well and coatings look good for a few more years . Tom D. told me he believed 3D optical ground the mirrors .

• Bomber Bob likes this

#93 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thanks semiosteve ,

I saw that ad in the 1970 S&T i have, but it did not look like the mount you had Tom so I did not mention it.  Interesting the company was around from 1959 to at least 1970.

That is the 12.5" pictured with the large GEM on a pedestal mount in the ad that you posted Johann . Mine is the smaller GEM 8" version on a wood tripod , most likely a prototype  for the special order Vernon / Cleveland scopes . At least that is my guess for now till I speak with Sim's daughter or Tom Dobbins again .

I sure wish I could speak with Don Yeier of Vernonscope fame !  He could possibly be in his 70's or older if still alive . Vernonscope is still in business but owned by someone else now in the Carolinas . Might have to call them maybe they could reach out to Don for me ???  

• Bomber Bob likes this

#94 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:08 AM

Great find....beauty.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#95 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

That's the book I used when I made my 6" Newt 50 years ago (the drab old brown hardcover). I still have both the book and the telescope! :)

I have a tattered brown copy.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#96 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Thanks semiosteve ,

That is the 12.5" pictured with the large GEM on a pedestal mount in the ad that you posted Johann . Mine is the smaller GEM 8" version on a wood tripod , most likely a prototype  for the special order Vernon / Cleveland scopes . At least that is my guess for now till I speak with Sim's daughter or Tom Dobbins again .

I sure wish I could speak with Don Yeier of Vernonscope fame !  He could possibly be in his 70's or older if still alive . Vernonscope is still in business but owned by someone else now in the Carolinas . Might have to call them maybe they could reach out to Don for me ???  

Don was pretty communicative not so long ago when he put out the 50 year anniversary set of Brandons. Alas I do not have access to my old PC which had some emails and a phone number from that time. Telescopes stay timeless with a little care, PC's? Not so much..

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#97 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

"...Sometime in the 1960's the address changed to Lawn ave. Cleveland , Ohio ...."

That is the address for Cleveland Astronomics that I remember visiting. I recall perhaps 30 mounts in various states of completion. They reminded me of Cave mounts.

Maybe some of the folks at the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society could fill in some blanks. They go pretty far back.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#98 TSSClay

TSSClay

Messenger

• Loc: Manchester MI

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

Tom,

Don is still around.  I purchased my AS63/840 and mount from him at the Black Forest Star Party.  He still has a company presence - I believe Yeier Optics.  I have seen him at both the Black Forest and the Cherry Springs Star party recently.  He usually is there on Saturday.  I will look and see if I have a business card somewhere.

Clay Kessler 

• TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

#99 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

"...Sometime in the 1960's the address changed to Lawn ave. Cleveland , Ohio ...."

That is the address for Cleveland Astronomics that I remember visiting. I recall perhaps 30 mounts in various states of completion. They reminded me of Cave mounts.

Maybe some of the folks at the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society could fill in some blanks. They go pretty far back.

semiosteve , upon your visit to C.A. on Lawn Ave. , do you remember any names of people you might of spoke with ? I know it has been a long time ago . :shrug:

I have made calls to CVAS and they referred me to a Gary Kader I called Gary and left a voice mail and have yet to hear back from him .

#100 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:03 PM

Tom,

Don is still around.  I purchased my AS63/840 and mount from him at the Black Forest Star Party.  He still has a company presence - I believe Yeier Optics.  I have seen him at both the Black Forest and the Cherry Springs Star party recently.  He usually is there on Saturday.  I will look and see if I have a business card somewhere.

Clay Kessler 

Thanks Clay , any leads are appreciated , and I shall Google Yeier Optics , instead of Veronscope . :waytogo:  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics