•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#101 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

"...Sometime in the 1960's the address changed to Lawn ave. Cleveland , Ohio ...."

That is the address for Cleveland Astronomics that I remember visiting. I recall perhaps 30 mounts in various states of completion. They reminded me of Cave mounts.

Maybe some of the folks at the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society could fill in some blanks. They go pretty far back.

semiosteve , upon your visit to C.A. on Lawn Ave. , do you remember any names of people you might of spoke with ? I know it has been a long time ago . :shrug:

I have made calls to CVAS and they referred me to a Gary Kader I called Gary and left a voice mail and have yet to hear back from him .

Actually I was visiting another amateur who lived on the near west side and he suggested we go over to Cleveland Astronomics. So I did not know anyone there myself. Don't recall who we talked to.

From what I can see Gary Kader has indeed been very active over the years locally - he appears to be the director of the  Baldwin Wallace Observatory. You might try reaching him at BW.

Cleveland State University appears to have a negative showing Cleveland Astronomics mounts (PH2013.013SCO) ...see http://web.ulib.csuo...y inventory.pdf. Not sure how exactly they provide access, but the PDF lists a contact.

Cleveland had a pretty good tradition in astronomy between Case Western Reserve, Warner and Swasey, Cleveland Astronomics, TMB, etc...we even have a certified dark sky park now .

There was something different about the hobby back then...it was harder but somehow more exciting.

• terraclarke, TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#102 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

Speaking of telescope companies in Cleveland, does anyone know what ever happened to the Waring Instrument company that was on the Westside that I used to frequent back in the sixties? They used to always have a selection of used and new refractors and reflectors (also microscopes and other optical instruments, as well) to select from, as well as a lot of accessories and mirror making stuff to help the budding astronomers of the day.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#103 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

Speaking of telescope companies in Cleveland, does anyone know what ever happened to the Waring Instrument company that was on the Westside that I used to frequent back in the sixties? They used to always have a selection of used and new refractors and reflectors (also microscopes and other optical instruments, as well) to select from, as well as a lot of accessories and mirror making stuff to help the budding astronomers of the day.

I had a 6" f-10 made at Waring. There was an older gentleman running it at the time. He did the mounts and the tubes in a white and grey speckle finish. I had them make the 6" around 1968 or 69. I went back there sometime later to buy some abrasives for a mirror I was grinding and the older guy was showing a younger fellow how to run a machine in the shop. He said he was retiring and the younger guy was taking over the business, this had to be around 1970. They just faded into the sunset after that. I drove by the place some years later and the old shop was vacant. Here is me back in 1971 with a 10" scope on a Waring Cleveland Instrument mount. 

WCI mount 003.jpg

Edited by pstarr, 17 October 2016 - 03:35 PM.

• Deep13, Mr Magoo, Bill Griffith and 6 others like this

#104 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

That's great!! So, someone actually remembered them and even bought hardware from them!! That was really nice that you were able to find a photo from the those days that you could post here, I (and other old-timers from the area) really appreciate that!! After my family and I moved to Los Angeles in the early seventies, I had an uncle who lived in Cleveland from those days, who was also interested in astronomy and telescope making, used to go out to visit Waring monthly for supplies. I remember he said something about them closing in a few years after we moved  (I'd guess somewhere in the mid-seventies). In the sixties, while I was a teen, I helped my uncle fabricate 6", 8" and 10" mirrors for his home-built Newt. scopes. We used to take turns using his telescopes as well as my Cleveland Astronomics 6" F/8 Newt. (that I mentioned earlier) in our backyards. That was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot from that. It turned out o be useful experience in preparation for a career as an optical engineer in Los Angeles working at the major aerospace companies here.

• pstarr, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 2 others like this

#105 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

I was able to make contact with Don Yeier of Yeier's Optics ( Vernonscope ) today . What a fine gentleman he is . We had a very informative phone conversation . Don was able to answer a lot of my questions in just a short time . I look forward to talk to him again as more questions arise . Don was able to clear up the connection between John R. Faloon ( The 1st owner / founder of Cleve. Astronomics ) and Simon ' Sim ' Holler ( The 2nd. and last owner of Cleve. Astronomics ) . John R. Faloon started C.A. at the Chagrin Falls address sometime early 1959 (  1st. Sky & Tell mag. ad  May '59 ) . John sold a 6" f8 reflector as seen in the ad , and parts to build your own . John later moved his business to the 7618 Lawn Ave. Cleve. Ohio address in the 60's .  May of 1965 was the last ad in Sky & Tell mag. for Cleveland Astronomics . In the 1965 Sept. issue of Sky & Tell mag. on page 148 there is a photo of John R. Faloon and a announcement that he had passed away on July 3 , 1965 . Enter in Mr. Simon " Sim " Holler  , as suspected Sim bought Mr. Faloon 's business , lock stock and barrel after Mr. Faloon 's death . Both men Faloon and Holler supplied parts to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History 's telescope making class . The first image is of a Cleve. Astronomics 6" f8 that was told to me by the Craigslist seller that his mother made it in that Cleve. Museum telescope making class . The second image is of a 8" f12 cassegrain designed and made by Sim Holler , One of maybe 3 made , known to be mounted on a wood tripod . Mostly all the Vernonscope / Cleveland Astronomics telescopes were sold to colleges and mounted on piers Don said . When I asked Mr. Don Yeier how many Vernon / Cleveland telescopes were ever produced and sold  in total he said " Maybe twelve " . 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4407.jpg
  • IMG_4386.jpg

• pstarr, rolo, astro140 and 11 others like this

#106 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

Great job all around Tom!

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#107 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

Cleaned and filled in 100's of missing paint chips on the ota and finder scope . Sprayed Dover white paint into glass cup and used a 3/0 brush to fill in just the missing paint chips . Cleaned and re-lubed the Unitron focuser ,  removed the metal self adhesive  Cleveland Astronomics tag that covered the Unitron name on the focuser . I will affix the tag later in a more fitting location on the mount . I also corrected improper configuration of the eyepiece lens , and restrung the cross-hairs in the recticle of the finder scope . Also did some cleaning and polishing on the mount . 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4411.jpg
  • IMG_4412.jpg
  • IMG_4414.jpg

• pstarr, rolo, astro140 and 9 others like this

#108 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

You sure you want to relocate that name plate Tom?  Even though it covers up the Unitron name, it's the original location.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#109 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

You do have a valid point there , George :scratchhead:

You sure you want to relocate that name plate Tom?  Even though it covers up the Unitron name, it's the original location.

Thought about putting it on the flat of the tripod head , centered between the allen cap screws . Then you could always see it no matter where the scope was pointed . I just thought it was a shame to cover up such a fine name as UNITRON . I guess in the spirit of keeping this instrument as original as possible it should return to the.........." Sim Holler original location " . 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4392.jpg

#110 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

This 8" f12  Window Cass. OTA  has  been verified as a Simon " Sim " Holler / Cleveland Astronomics telescope , a one off prototype .

https://www.cloudyni...here/?p=6766636

Tomorrow I will post images of today's latest purchase . Another different piece of Cleveland Oh. amateur telescope manufacturing and retail . Something different , tune in tomorrow .    

Attached Thumbnails

• AND-WHAT-002.jpg
  • AND-WHAT-005.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 14 September 2017 - 10:08 PM.

• tim53, rolo, astro140 and 7 others like this

#111 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

That is cool Tom, and pretty too! I love the Quantum blue! Congrats! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• rolo and TOM KIEHL like this

#112 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Terra , I've had it for awhile . Sim's daughter found pictures of it and confirmed her father built it .

Wait till you see what I post in this thread tomorrow winky.gif .

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 14 September 2017 - 09:58 PM.

• rolo and terraclarke like this

#113 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Terra , I've had it for awhile . Sim's daughter found pictures of it and confirmed her father built it .

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

You ARE a tease.

But I have to admit, I love your scopes.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#114 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

You ARE a tease.

But I have to admit, I love your scopes.

Wait till you see this one George .... hope the sunshine's tomorrow with out clouds for the photo shoot .fingerscrossed.gif

300 mi. round trip to get this one today coolnod.gif

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 14 September 2017 - 10:41 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#115 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

I'm surprised that scope is not on one of the fine Cleveland Astronomics equatorial mounts that
he built on a regular basis back then!! Or, even one of the premium mounts that were made as part
of the Vernonscope-Cleveland Astronomics partnership that they had for a short time to provide
high-end telescopes to the more serious customers of the day. I wonder if this scope hade anything
to do with that series.
  • TOM KIEHL likes this

#116 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'm surprised that scope is not on one of the fine Cleveland Astronomics equatorial mounts that
he built on a regular basis back then!! Or, even one of the premium mounts that were made as part
of the Vernonscope-Cleveland Astronomics partnership that they had for a short time to provide
high-end telescopes to the more serious customers of the day. I wonder if this scope hade anything
to do with that series.

The blue ota will fit the Holler / Cleve. Astro mount perfectly . Both white Cass. and blue Window Cass. are interchangeable with the same C.A. mount . All tho  both ota's were bought at a different time and place . The blue window Cass. might of been the precursor to the Vernon / Cleveland scope .

#117 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

We're still waiting! :4

• deepwoods1 and Geo31 like this

#118 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

We're still waiting! 4.gif

Yep.  Don't make me drive to Ohio and give you a wedgie Tom....

• terraclarke and TOM KIEHL like this

#119 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

It's no 60mm. lol.gif

We're still waiting! 4.gif

Yep.  Don't make me drive to Ohio and give you a wedgie Tom....

DANG ! ..... The Natives Are Restless Tonight !  lol.gif

• terraclarke likes this

#120 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

I had a 6" f-10 made at Waring. There was an older gentleman running it at the time. He did the mounts and the tubes in a white and grey speckle finish. I had them make the 6" around 1968 or 69. I went back there sometime later to buy some abrasives for a mirror I was grinding and the older guy was showing a younger fellow how to run a machine in the shop. He said he was retiring and the younger guy was taking over the business, this had to be around 1970. They just faded into the sunset after that. I drove by the place some years later and the old shop was vacant. Here is me back in 1971 with a 10" scope on a Waring Cleveland Instrument mount. 

attachicon.gifWCI mount 003.jpg

The day I read this post from Paul ( pstarr ) , I always wondered if my path would cross a Waring Cleveland Instrument Mount . During my research of Cleveland Astronomics and it's two different owners , first being , John Faloon   and after his death the second owner , Simon "Sim " Holler now deceased also . I kept hearing mention of Waring Cleveland Instrument Co. . Even Sim Holler's daughter Celeste mentioned Waring when I met her and her husband Richard to talk about her dad and his company . My conversation via the phone with Tom Dobbins ....Even Tom spoke of Waring too . Below is the best picture to date ( for me ) of a larger Waring Cleveland Instrument Mount ( other than Paul and his scope posted above )  . Most likely a 8 or 10" scope maybe  . Please take note of the similarities of the aluminum  castings and the tube rings and how the rings are affixed to the saddle .

At first this thread started out to be about  "  Cleveland Astronomics " . Now it  seemed to turn into a thread about scopes and mounts made in Cleveland Ohio . lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• msg-5279-0-97239900-1474905788_thumb.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, kevint1 and 2 others like this

#121 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

NOW ! ...... With with those above casting and ring " Similarities " clearly imprinted into your brain cells from the above post . Please let me introduce my latest FIND ,  purchased yesterday .

The 6" F6 Waring Cleveland Instrument , Scope and Mount bow.gif

Thank you Terra and George for your kind patience rofl2.gif lol.gif 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4882.jpg
  • IMG_4883.jpg
  • IMG_4884.jpg
  • IMG_4885.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, astro140 and 8 others like this

#122 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

Second group .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4886.jpg
  • IMG_4887.jpg
  • IMG_4888.jpg
  • IMG_4889.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, clamchip and 6 others like this

#123 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

Third Group .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4890.jpg
  • IMG_4891.jpg
  • IMG_4892.jpg
  • IMG_4893.jpg
  • IMG_4894.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, astro140 and 8 others like this

#124 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

Forth group .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4896.jpg
  • IMG_4897.jpg
  • IMG_4898.jpg
  • IMG_4899.jpg

• astro140, clamchip, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#125 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:02 AM

And Lastly ...... The Glamour Shots !

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 1a.jpg
  • 1aa.jpg
  • the-end.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 16 September 2017 - 12:18 AM.

• pstarr, tim53, Mr Magoo and 9 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics