•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CLEVELAND ASTRONOMICS

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#201 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Just a FYI , Zip codes started nationally  July 1 , 1963

"Pstarr, I am missing a few parts, but the one I have seems to be the smaller, but possibly older, brother to yours."

No, you have the exact same mount as me, size wise, with a few exceptions. My declination shaft wasn't cut off like yours, I had RA needle bearing added, custom tube rings made for a 10" scope and a motorized slow motion declination control added, all made by Sim Holler in his machine shop. The RA bearings were added because there was too much friction in the original steel on aluminum bearings to allow my add-on Cave clock drive to function properly. My Waring mount was originally part of a complete Waring 6" F-10 reflector that I punched new. I built the 10"  F-5.6 later and used the Waring mount, which worked quite well.

Good to know.  

This declination shaft does not seem to be "cut off" after purchase, but produced this way.  But, maybe it was an aftermarket thing.  The hole is still there.  

attachicon.gif2018-01-20 20.00.16.jpg

Since the mounts were made in house, a request for a removable counterweight shaft could be easily accommodated during fabrication..

So, this mount was made to order, I guess.  It is possible that the former owner never purchased the shaft and counterweight, if I understand you correctly.

The scope currently, as can be seen in the pictures, is a sort of light flat gray.  It is not the speckled finish like the mount.  Do you know if the scope would generally have matched the mount?  Based on a few areas that appear to have inadvertently received some of the gray paint, I am guessing that the OTA finish is not original.  

Any chance you could guess an approximate year of manufacture for this scope and mount?  The label has the address and phone number.  Not sure if that gives you any help. 

Definitely 50s - Zolatone paint, exchange letters, no zip code.

-drl

Paint type, zipcode, and phone number... that makes sense.  So, we are thinking somewhere in the 1950's, I guess.  Thanks, good info.

#202 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

"Pstarr, I am missing a few parts, but the one I have seems to be the smaller, but possibly older, brother to yours."

No, you have the exact same mount as me, size wise, with a few exceptions. My declination shaft wasn't cut off like yours, I had RA needle bearing added, custom tube rings made for a 10" scope and a motorized slow motion declination control added, all made by Sim Holler in his machine shop. The RA bearings were added because there was too much friction in the original steel on aluminum bearings to allow my add-on Cave clock drive to function properly. My Waring mount was originally part of a complete Waring 6" F-10 reflector that I punched new. I built the 10"  F-5.6 later and used the Waring mount, which worked quite well.

Good to know.  

This declination shaft does not seem to be "cut off" after purchase, but produced this way.  But, maybe it was an aftermarket thing.  The hole is still there.  

Scott ,

It is of my opinion , and or thoughts that your Waring mount never had a Counter weight declination shaft extension or adjustable weights .

My thoughts on this statement ....I believe that Waring machined a steel billet of determined weight to adequately balance the OTA . A weight machined with a blind hole on center , large enough to slide over  your existing declination shaft stub  . This " Blind Hole " was then thru bored with a hole just large enough to accept a 1/2 " NC hex bolt and flat washer to secure said counter weight to your Dec. shaft stub. ( Reference  Pstarr's image of his counter weight )

Other evidence of this theory is the GASH and Missing paint  present in your above image of the pier altitude adjustment pier cap . I think in this scopes past history that the outside corner of this theoretical above mentioned counter weight came crashing into contact with the edge of the pier cap . Hence causing the missing paint and GASH .

Notice the image below of my Waring mount and ota .... There are NO counter weights needed  to balance this OTA . Just the sheer weight of the Dec. shaft is sufficient for perfect balance .

Just some food for thought , TK 

So, in your opinion this mount never had a counter weight AT ALL, or it just did not have adjustable counter weights?

Sorry, I am used to calling this part a "thingee", and that part "the one that moves up and down", or "the one that tightens the other thingee", stuff like that.  So, I got a little lost there.  

#203 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Sorry Scott , It Did have a counter weight . That was heavy enough to balance the scope . That weight was bolted on to your existing shaft with a hex bolt thru the center of the weight or " Thingee " lol.gif 

• levidog2 and shredder1656 like this

#204 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Sorry Scott , It Did have a counter weight . That was heavy enough to balance the scope . That weight was bolted on to your existing shaft with a hex bolt thru the center of the weight or " Thingee " lol.gif

Now I am picking up what you're putting down.  I will have to reach out to them to see if they have a "thingee" lying around that attic.  If you and pstarr think it looked just like his, I could text them a picture.  That might help them KNOW it is gone forever.  

Edited by shredder1656, 21 January 2018 - 08:16 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#205 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Why not refigure the mirror?

NO THANKS ...... My reason George is that would upset the history of this scope . The history being that this scope was made in that C.A.S. class and that was  how it was made by the CList sellers mother years ago . Notice in the image how short the optical tube is from the cradle to the mirror cell . That optical tube was shortened in that class to accommodate the shorter F7 focal ratio  that was ground . God only knows how many people attended that class back in the early 60's . 

Upon reflection (no pin intended), it's not like it's your only scope.  I'm sure have plenty that perform well.

George , I hope that my explanation was not taken as a curt explanation . It was just a statement for my reason to keep it intact .

Sorry if offense was taken , not my intent at all bow.gif  TK 

Oh God, not at all Tom.  I agree with you. 

At first I thought "Why leave it less that fully functional?"  Then, after reflecting on your response, I realized you were right for the reasons I mentioned.  If it were your only scope, it would be foolish.  But it's not.  You're right, the figure it has now is part of the history.  If someone else wants to mess with it later, that's not on you.

We are totally good.  No offense was taken or even remotely considered.

• TOM KIEHL and shredder1656 like this

#206 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

Zolatone was used by Cave at least until 1963, as evidenced by my 1963 8" f6.  Closeup of the mount below.  It's a small-speckled brown-gray.  Very attractive.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zolatone_mount.jpg

Edited by tim53, 21 January 2018 - 11:59 PM.

• pstarr, deSitter, KentTolley and 2 others like this

#207 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

Good to know.  

Since the mounts were made in house, a request for a removable counterweight shaft could be easily accommodated during fabrication..

So, this mount was made to order, I guess.  It is possible that the former owner never purchased the shaft and counterweight, if I understand you correctly.

The scope currently, as can be seen in the pictures, is a sort of light flat gray.  It is not the speckled finish like the mount.  Do you know if the scope would generally have matched the mount?  Based on a few areas that appear to have inadvertently received some of the gray paint, I am guessing that the OTA finish is not original.  

Any chance you could guess an approximate year of manufacture for this scope and mount?  The label has the address and phone number.  Not sure if that gives you any help. 

I bought mine around 1968. The mount and the telescope tube both had the speckled paint, white base with grey speckles.

I am guessing not, but do you happen to have the counter weight from the original configuration, the 6" f/10?  If you do, would you be able to take a picture, and some measurements?  That would allow me to follow the suggestions here regarding having one machined to fit. Barring that, do you recollect the weight and/or have a photo from the original?  Thanks!

Edited by shredder1656, 22 January 2018 - 05:24 AM.

#208 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Good to know.  

I bought mine around 1968. The mount and the telescope tube both had the speckled paint, white base with grey speckles.

I am guessing not, but do you happen to have the counter weight from the original configuration, the 6" f/10?  If you do, would you be able to take a picture, and some measurements?  That would allow me to follow the suggestions here regarding having one machined to fit. Barring that, do you recollect the weight and/or have a photo from the original?  Thanks!

If your asking me. The 6" f-10 and mount are long gone. I sold them years ago. Here is a photo of a similar scope that belonged to someone else.

DSCN4783.JPG

Edited by pstarr, 22 January 2018 - 09:35 AM.

• tim53, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#209 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Good to know.  

I doubt you are going to find a massive heavy ingot like Tom mentioned - the best idea is to determine the hole size, buy a 15" stainless steel shaft threaded on both ends. 20mm bore counterweights are very easy to find and the shaft will be relatively cheap. 20mm is just over 3/4" and will fit a 3/4" shaft very well. No one will consider this a violation of historical protocol smile.gif

-drl

Edited by deSitter, 22 January 2018 - 10:24 AM.

• tim53 and levidog2 like this

#210 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Good to know.  

If your asking me. The 6" f-10 and mount are long gone. I sold them years ago. Here is a photo of a similar scope that belonged to someone else.

attachicon.gifDSCN4783.JPG

Man that is the bomb! That motor drive on the DEC axis is killer!

-drl

• pstarr likes this

#211 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

I posted a couple of pictures in the "what did you observe" section. Controlling this scope is a whole different ballgame. I could barely find the moon.

Tom, I did not get it collimated yet, but the stretches of clear sky caught me off-guard and unprepared. I did not want to miss the chance, though. The shortest ep I have is 6mm. Tiny fov, BUT the images were impressive! Lots of waviness in the atmosphere, but the scope seems to be amazing. I am easy to please with my inexperience, but I think it is pretty amazing. A whole new world, as they say.

The pictures do not come anywhere near doing the scope justice, but better than nothing, I guess.

Edited by shredder1656, 23 January 2018 - 06:22 AM.

• pstarr likes this

#212 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Oh, wow!!! I haven't seen anything from them since I used to visit them with my uncle back in the sixties
when I lived in Cleveland, before we moved to Los Angeles!!!! A real trip down nostalgia lane for me. I
really never expected to see or hear anything about them again in my lifetime. Extremely interesting bit
of telescope manufacturing history in the USA!! Thank you for posting all of the photos and info!!

Tom, if you look very closely at the picture of a young me with the Waring mount, it has the same declination slow motion system. I had Sim Holler make it for me. It didn't come with the Waring mount. Being that those were made in Sim's machine shop, Waring must have got them as an add-on from Sim.

After reading through Tom's thread here, and getting his permission, I will add this scope to the discussion.  I posted it in the "FINDS" thread too, but don't want to inundate that one more than I already have.  

Pstarr, I am missing a few parts, but the one I have seems to be the smaller, but possibly older, brother to yours. 

It is great to read that both of you guys were familiar with the Waring-Cleveland company directly.  Do either of you know much about this one?

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.54.17.jpgattachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.54.40.jpg

Looks like that the finder mount location was changed, and possibly a few other things.

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.55.57.jpg

I have no clue what this is for???

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.56.40.jpg

This is amazing. I had that telescope circa 1973 and I knew the man that made it. I owned the same scope right down to the setting circles (which we added later). The heavy duty mount head, the white gray speckled paint and the orange tag ( which should say "Skyview) is a dead giveaway. The zip code "44126" from post 151 is for Fairview Park, Ohio where I was born and raised. The shop where the scope was made was on Lorain Road across the street from the Fairview Shopping Center and the high school. I spent many hours in that shop ( and the second shop in Cleveland) as a young teen and later as a young lawyer. The man was my mentor. I'm having a senior moment (so many years ago) and can only recall my father calling him Jack (maybe).  I called him "sir". To see my old scope again is beyond amazing. I will sit down this weekend and jot down my recollections and share them. 

• pstarr, deSitter, steve t and 6 others like this

#213 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

Oh, wow!!! I haven't seen anything from them since I used to visit them with my uncle back in the sixties
when I lived in Cleveland, before we moved to Los Angeles!!!! A real trip down nostalgia lane for me. I
really never expected to see or hear anything about them again in my lifetime. Extremely interesting bit
of telescope manufacturing history in the USA!! Thank you for posting all of the photos and info!!

Tom, if you look very closely at the picture of a young me with the Waring mount, it has the same declination slow motion system. I had Sim Holler make it for me. It didn't come with the Waring mount. Being that those were made in Sim's machine shop, Waring must have got them as an add-on from Sim.

After reading through Tom's thread here, and getting his permission, I will add this scope to the discussion.  I posted it in the "FINDS" thread too, but don't want to inundate that one more than I already have.  

Pstarr, I am missing a few parts, but the one I have seems to be the smaller, but possibly older, brother to yours. 

It is great to read that both of you guys were familiar with the Waring-Cleveland company directly.  Do either of you know much about this one?

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.54.17.jpgattachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.54.40.jpg

Looks like that the finder mount location was changed, and possibly a few other things.

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.55.57.jpg

I have no clue what this is for???

attachicon.gif 2018-01-21 09.56.40.jpg

This is amazing. I had that telescope circa 1973 and I knew the man that made it. I owned the same scope right down to the setting circles (which we added later). The heavy duty mount head, the white gray speckled paint and the orange tag ( which should say "Skyview) is a dead giveaway. The zip code "44126" from post 151 is for Fairview Park, Ohio where I was born and raised. The shop where the scope was made was on Lorain Road across the street from the Fairview Shopping Center and the high school. I spent many hours in that shop ( and the second shop in Cleveland) as a young teen and later as a young lawyer. The man was my mentor. I'm having a senior moment (so many years ago) and can only recall my father calling him Jack (maybe).  I called him "sir". To see my old scope again is beyond amazing. I will sit down this weekend and jot down my recollections and share them. 

Wow!  That info is very cool.  I look forward to hearing your recollections.  

I have had it outside twice in since getting it.  But, I am just today hoping to get it collimated.  The skies are supposed to clear tonight, so hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning before church.  We will see.  

There is a red tag on the mounting rings that looks homemade.  It says "skyview".  

Also, on the top of one of the feet/legs, it has a date that looks like it says "Oct. 22, 1959".  Originally, I thought it was "1969", but since then I am leaning towards "1959".  Does that date have any significance when it comes to the scope?  I assume it is an owner inscribed date.  

If you want other pictures, you are welcome to PM me.  For your benefit, there are more in the "finds" thread.  I think the date is 1-20-18, or thereabouts.

2018-01-20 12.44.05.jpg 2018-01-20 12.43.18.jpg 2018-01-20 12.42.42.jpg

• pstarr, Mr Magoo, steve t and 4 others like this

#214 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

HOME AGAIN !

After 1600 mi. and 24 hrs. drive time round trip .

First off let me start by saying THANK YOU !  ,  RUSSD  bow.gif .

I am the proud new owner of a Dobbins Cleveland Instrument Co.  , observatory class GEM .

Russ saved this mount from a private observatory in Austin , Minnesota , ( Solafide Observatory )  .

I'M BACK !...........  I have been working on the , M.O.A.M.  ( Mother Of All Mounts ) . Now complete and fully restored Dobbins Cleveland Instruments Co. GEM . I had to fabricate a pier , legs and mounting plate from STEEL to accommodate this mount's massive size . Surprisingly enough the overall total weight is not that bad . All castings are cast aluminum and the 2" Declination  and Rt. Ascension  shafting is S.S. Tubing . The OTA is a 133mm. F 15 ATM  . I have no idea who made the optics but the views are excellent and a good overall planetary  performer ....." Say Hello To My Little Friend "     

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5671.jpg
  • IMG_5672.jpg
  • IMG_5673.jpg
  • IMG_5674.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, pstarr, davidmcgo and 10 others like this

#215 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5675.jpg
  • IMG_5676.jpg
  • IMG_5677.jpg
  • IMG_5679.jpg
  • IMG_5682.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, astro140, steve t and 3 others like this

#216 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5681.jpg
  • the-end.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, droid, tim53 and 7 others like this

#217 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

That's one heckuva LLLLOOOONNNNGGG polar axis!

• KentTolley and TOM KIEHL like this

#218 RussD

RussD

Explorer 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

That looks amazing!  I am so glad it made it back home to someone who treated it right.  That thing was in my garage for way too long.  It is great to see it back in service.

Russ

• KentTolley and TOM KIEHL like this

#219 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

What a beautiful mount, and you did a fine restoration.

It looks huge, and things usually look smaller than they are when in a photo.

What size scope is it meant for? a large refractor I'm sure.

Robert

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#220 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

What a beautiful mount, and you did a fine restoration.

It looks huge, and things usually look smaller than they are when in a photo.

What size scope is it meant for? a large refractor I'm sure.

Robert

This is what came on it originally a 10'' Dobbins ? refractor . Photos taken at Solafide Observatory , Austin MN.

Attached Thumbnails

• msg-16323-0-05225000-1507115923.jpg
  • msg-16323-0-22656000-1507115961.jpg

• tim53, astro140, clamchip and 4 others like this

#221 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

That looks amazing!  I am so glad it made it back home to someone who treated it right.  That thing was in my garage for way too long.  It is great to see it back in service.

Russ

Thanks Russ , it was an adventure from beginning to the end . Also so great to make your acquaintance too . The photo below is the mount as found in the corner of Russ's garage .

Attached Thumbnails

• msg-16323-0-97789500-1507165231_thumb.jpg

• tim53, steve t and Geo31 like this

#222 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

That is a wonderful mount AND scope! It looks amazing. Looking forward to an observing report.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#223 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

NEXT ........

This restoration is dedicated to my friend Scott a.k.a. " shredder1656 " . Scott and I did some  Scope Tradin' early this year . That ended up with me the proud new owner of a Waring Cleveland Instrument Co INC newtonian telescope  . The scope was in good overall shape as compared to some I've worked on . This 6" F10 had excellent coatings on the mirrors but was missing a counter weight and was in serious need for a trip to the Telescope Spa   . The Optical tube was spray painted a primer gray , over a brush painted white , over the original  Zolatone / Splater Painted Ivory with flat gray splatter . I found this out after removing the tube end rings . I repainted the tube Krylon Satin Ivory then drifted over-spray Rest-o-leum gray slate stone finish paint over the dried Ivory Finish from a distance of 6' to obtain the Zolatone / Splatter gray finish .   The pier tube was sprayed with a BLOB of the same grey primer as the telescope tube . After removal of this BLOB of grey primer with lacquer thinner that covered HUNDREDS  of scrapes and nicks and scratches .  I decided to try to save the original Zola / Splatter paint ......SOoooo , I found a spray Krylon IVORY satin that I sprayed into a glass cup . Then applied the paint to the HUNDREDS Of Blemishes ( scrapes , nicks , scratches )   with a 0000 artist brush . When the Ivory fill paint was dry , I then applied THOUSANDS  of tiny little gray splatters over the Ivory fill paint with the same 0000 artist brush  one by one ..... This part took the most time but the end result was worth it . ALSO , after extensive examination with a Jeweler's  Loupe It was determined that the date on the leg was OCT. 22 , 1961  ... I left that bit of history , but enhanced it a bit   with a Sharpie  .wink.gif    ALSO..... Cleaned , Colimated , Center dotted and re bedded the primary mirror in the cell .

BELOW ..... are the before images .....

Attached Thumbnails

• post-280889-0-38183300-1516547206.jpg
  • post-280889-0-75617200-1516547221.jpg
  • post-280889-0-48422600-1517080167.jpg

• pstarr, Mr Magoo, DreamWeaver and 5 others like this

#224 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

Wow!  That info is very cool.  I look forward to hearing your recollections.  

I have had it outside twice in since getting it.  But, I am just today hoping to get it collimated.  The skies are supposed to clear tonight, so hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning before church.  We will see.  

There is a red tag on the mounting rings that looks homemade.  It says "skyview".  

Also, on the top of one of the feet/legs, it has a date that looks like it says "Oct. 22, 1959".  Originally, I thought it was "1969", but since then I am leaning towards "1959".  Does that date have any significance when it comes to the scope?  I assume it is an owner inscribed date.  

If you want other pictures, you are welcome to PM me.  For your benefit, there are more in the "finds" thread.  I think the date is 1-20-18, or thereabouts.

attachicon.gif 2018-01-20 12.44.05.jpgattachicon.gif 2018-01-20 12.43.18.jpgattachicon.gif 2018-01-20 12.42.42.jpg

Scott , a.k.a. ( shredder1656 ) Also reference this scope in the " Finds " Thread . Starting at post 4754 - 4757  https://www.cloudyni...inds/?p=8350697

• steve t and shredder1656 like this

#225 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

Looking forward to seeing this restoration Tom.  You do such incredible work and on such a diverse mix of scopes.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics