•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10 inch f12 Super Zerochromat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wiseone

wiseone

Vendor (Zerochromat)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Wales, UK

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

After considerable research, we can now offer our 'Super' version of the 10 inch f12 Zerochromat. It has been optimised for the range 420nm to 700nm. The 0.8 degree field of view (42.5mm) is perfectly flat to the edge. The tube length is 2100mm, and 405mm diameter. It comes with an 8 x 60mm right-angle finder and is fitted with a Losmandy style dovetail. The 2 inch Moonlite focuser is motorised, and has 4 1/4 inches travel. Overall weight is 20kg.

The 'Super' version looks identical to the standard 10 inch Zerochromat, but has different internal optics. The tolerance to decentration is very similar, so it is as easy to use. An important feature of all Zerochromats is Atmospheric Dispersion Control, which is very simple to employ.

We are able to offer the 10 inch f12 'Super' version, delivered to mainland USA for US$18500. All this for performance very similar to traditional Super ED 10 inch instruments. Delivery is currently 5 to 6 months. 

Spot sizes vs wavelength are given below, also the MTF:

Spots.png MTF.PNG

#2 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Mariner 2

• Loc: Putnam County, NY

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:19 AM

After considerable research, we can now offer our 'Super' version of the 10 inch f12 Zerochromat. It has been optimised for the range 420nm to 700nm. The 0.8 degree field of view (42.5mm) is perfectly flat to the edge. The tube length is 2100mm, and 405mm diameter. It comes with an 8 x 60mm right-angle finder and is fitted with a Losmandy style dovetail. The 2 inch Moonlite focuser is motorised, and has 4 1/4 inches travel. Overall weight is 20kg.

The 'Super' version looks identical to the standard 10 inch Zerochromat, but has different internal optics. The tolerance to decentration is very similar, so it is as easy to use. An important feature of all Zerochromats is Atmospheric Dispersion Control, which is very simple to employ.

We are able to offer the 10 inch f12 'Super' version, delivered to mainland USA for US$18500. All this for performance very similar to traditional Super ED 10 inch instruments. Delivery is currently 5 to 6 months. 

Spot sizes vs wavelength are given below, also the MTF:

attachicon.gif Spots.pngattachicon.gif MTF.PNG

Hi wiseone,

With apologies for resurrecting an older post...

I am curious about how the user can make atmospheric dispersion adjustments with these scopes? Is there an online user manual describing how this adjustment is performed? (I did peruse your website but could find no instructions.) I ask as I am making plans to view through one of your creations, the 10-inch at the Custer Institute Observatory, this summer.

Many thanks, :)

Jimmy G

#3 wiseone

wiseone

Vendor (Zerochromat)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

Hi Jimmy,

You are very welcome to resurrect this old post!

When you use the Custer Observatory 10 inch Zerochromat, if you look at an object low in the sky, you will see some atmospheric chromatic aberration. To counter this effect, it is very simple indeed to gently tweak the collimation knobs to remove it. You really don't need a manual, as it becomes intuitive quite quickly. The adjustment needed is only a small fraction of a turn of one or two of the knobs. Which one is determined by the position of the object in the sky. If you talk to one of the people at Custer, they can tell you a lot more. Charles (Chuck) Cardona is the main man. Best to go on their website to contact him.

I was using the 10 inch that I have for sale a few nights ago, and Mars was really easy to correct for. Pity that it is so low in the sky at my latitude, and with the current dust storm, not much detail could be seen. The planetary disc was really crisp, though. Even though Saturn is very low indeed, correcting for dispersion gives very pleasing views.

My new web site still needs for information on the Super versions to be added, but I can be contacted if anyone needs info.

Many thanks,

Peter

• Jimmy462 likes this

#4 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Mariner 2

• Loc: Putnam County, NY

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi Peter,

Well, I wouldn't dream of messing with the dials on an observatory-class instrument even if I knew what they did! Ha! Per your recommendation I just emailed Charles to inquire about viewing the planets this summer with your scope! Thank you for that recommendation.

A 10-inch f/12 achromat that weighs less than a C14 in a 6.5-foot OTA with built in ADC capabilities...I'm intrigued! Any particular eyepieces you might recommend my taking along for when I visit the kind folks at Custer?!

Again, many thanks for your attention here! :)

Jimmy G

#5 wiseone

wiseone

Vendor (Zerochromat)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hi Jimmy,

You can't break it by tweaking the knobs gently!

Good that you are in contact with Charles. The bunch of people at Custer Institute and Observatory are all wonderful, and I can assure you of a great time. The basement has all sorts of ATM wonders to behold.

You could take a 32mm 80 degree field eyepiece for great low-power views. With an f12 instrument, just about any eyepiece will work well.

I have you down as an 'interested party', as requested.

Kind regards,

Peter

• Jimmy462 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics