•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY stargazing trip to Chile

observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#301 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:53 AM

Third cancellation over the last year 4.gif .

<...snip...>

Sorry to hear this. I look forward to going back again. I think I used a 20" f/4, not f/5. Is that an error or a new scope? (I don't think the DSC was working that well my nights and I star hopped.) But if it is the f/4, it's a really great mirror. Mars was right over head and fairly close, so I saw a lot of detail.

Every time I have been there, Alain has run the bigger scopes for me after the tours (2 or 3am).

I wonder if any progress on the 55".

George

#302 jiblet65

jiblet65

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:04 AM

::bump:: I've been wanting to go south of the equator for some time but haven't made it there yet. Iceland is the next big bucket list for an attempt to see the northern lights. After that the wife and I are contemplating the Elqui Valley in Chile. Tentative plan is to fly into Santiago and then La Serena and drive out there. I've found a couple of decent looking places to stay. Aldea del Valle and Elqui Domos are two of them. Does anybody have any recs for places to stay or things to do or avoid? I see there are quite a few observatories dotted through the area where you can view and some wineries but other than that I have no idea what to do there and for the most part it would be a relaxation vacation with the focus on viewing the southern sky.

#303 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

Hacienda los andes is almost a perfect fit. It’s in the Hurtado valley, which is just south of the elqui valley. It’s a lovely inn and they rent scopes.

If spending time in the Elqui proper for non astronomy reasons is important, you could do a few days in both. Unfortunately, the place I stayed in rivadavia has closed.
  • jiblet65 likes this

#304 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:24 AM

http://www.haciendal...-los-andes.html
  • paul and jiblet65 like this

#305 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:39 AM

::bump:: I've been wanting to go south of the equator for some time but haven't made it there yet. Iceland is the next big bucket list for an attempt to see the northern lights. After that the wife and I are contemplating the Elqui Valley in Chile. Tentative plan is to fly into Santiago and then La Serena and drive out there. I've found a couple of decent looking places to stay. Aldea del Valle and Elqui Domos are two of them. Does anybody have any recs for places to stay or things to do or avoid? I see there are quite a few observatories dotted through the area where you can view and some wineries but other than that I have no idea what to do there and for the most part it would be a relaxation vacation with the focus on viewing the southern sky.

Alfa Aldea in the Elqui Valley, it's a whole experience with 3D presentations, etc. Wonderful people, really fantastic place.

https://www.alfaaldea.cl/

• jiblet65 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics