•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommended Red Dot Finder

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 javaruba

javaruba

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oranjestad, Aruba

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

The Celestron RDF sold on Amazon has a high rating.

https://www.amazon.c...=red dot finder

Has anybody bought one of these? I think I would need a dovetail mount also to connect it to the OTA.

Edited by javaruba, 22 October 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#27 12j5

12j5

Sputnik

• Loc: SE of NW, NC

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

The Celestron RDF sold on Amazon has a high rating.

https://www.amazon.c...=red dot finder

Has anybody bought one of these? I think I would need a dovetail mount also to connect it to the OTA.

javaruba,

This finder is the ubiquitous RDF supplied on many telescopes from Celestron and Orion.  I purchased this Celestron Model No. 51630 recently as a spare and to find out which bases were provided with the RDF.

The Mod. No. 51630 comes with a stalk that fits a supplemental Synta/Vixen Finder Bracket Shoe and two bases that are designed to mount to an OTA using either screws or double-sided foam tape. The tape would be satisfactory for fastening the base and RDF assembly to the OTA considering the minimal weight of the finder.  The smaller radius base is suitable for 5 inch/127mm or smaller OTA's, the larger radius base is better suited for 6 inch/150mm and larger OTA's.

The following URLs provide additional detail for the RDF and the finder bracket shoe:

https://www.bhphotov...inderscope.html

https://www.bhphotov...acket_Shoe.html

Bill 

• Redbetter likes this

#28 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

I use the TV Starbeams on my refractors. They are small and look classy on the refractors. I have a Baader Sky Surfer V on my dob and it's great. Like the Starbeam it looks great and has a nice build quality. Telrads are very functional, but have to be the ugliest thing in astronomy. I like nice looking setups, I'm shallow I guess.

4.jpg

• SteveG, robodan and Kunama like this

#29 javaruba

javaruba

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oranjestad, Aruba

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Hi all. So I ended up buying two Celestron Finderscopes/ Red Dot Finder. I also did a short unboxing of the item which can be seen on the link below.

https://youtu.be/GAZR6OIXcoc

Edited by javaruba, 25 October 2016 - 11:09 PM.

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

The strange thing about the simple RDF's is why they aren't made even more dimmable?  While the one I use works great for the 70mm Travel scope, it is way brighter than I would prefer.  I would like to be able to turn it down to the point that averted vision stars in a dark sky would be visible near it or even under it.  Instead I can site on them and dead reckon the final move to center the RDF.

Perhaps it is the narrow focus of the RDF limiting the dynamic turn down.  A reticle with a wide field can spread the same total luminosity over an area perhaps 100 times greater, so it might prove easier to turn down at very low output levels. 

Red:

The reason they are so bright is that the a repurposed BB gun sights,  they're designed for use during the day.   The original TeleVue Qwikpoint was made by Daisy but it had a thin circuit board that slipped under the battery which provided additional resistance and provided an appropriately dim red dot.   I'd likevto find one of those. 

Jon

#31 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

I have Stellarvue RDFs for my SV80ED and SV102V.  I have no issues with them as they work well and do everything I need them to do.

I use one of each:

http://www.stellarvu...ot-finder-f002/

and

http://www.stellarvu...r-no-base-f001/

• Catapoman likes this

#32 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• Loc: Bidwell, OH

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

I say get the basic Stellarvue red dot finder. 

#33 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

It's interesting to me how things have changed so little since when Tom Trusock wrote his article on Red Dot Finders in 2004.  I'm with Tom and others here recommending the "Giant Mars Eye Finder", aka, Stellarvue referenced above.  It's small, inexpensive, but WAY better than most red dot finders out there.  One of the biggest differences from, especially the Celestron finder, is that the plastic one looks through is VERY transparent, with very little shading.  The Celestron is simply terrible for this, making any nearby faint guide stars disappear.  The Stellarvue, like the Telrad and Rigel, is very transparent, and, like them, supports very dim settings.  It's only a red dot, and I agree circles are better, but with a 50mm RA finder, too, that's less important to me.  Also, although I agree the Telrad is the best, it isn't very attractive and also has weight & real estate issues, compounding its industrial appearance.  The Rigel is quite nice, but I have difficulty finding the circle often.  This is less of an issue with the Stellarvue, which is very small and sleek.  Haven't used the Baaders, but since the Stellarvue is so much cheaper, it holds less fascination with me.  Would be nice to see how transparent it is against the sky, however.  Everyone here talks about the dimness of the light, and I agree that's pretty important, especially for the lower quality red dots, but having passed that issue, the dimming quality of the plastic itself on which the circles or dot itself is displayed is very important, and not addressed nearly enough.

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 06 January 2017 - 12:12 AM.

• stanylee likes this

#34 zawijava

zawijava

Apollo

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

I've tried most all of the ones mentioned in this thread, the one I I have kept is the Baader SkySurfer V. It looks good, works good and rarely dews up! 

#35 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

I prefer the Baader SkySurfer III -- the dual tubes make positioning my head easy, the 30mm aperture gives me a good perspective of the nearby sky, and the construction seems more robust than others.  The brightness is adjustable -- I use it at its minimum most of the time.

Here's a link to where I purchased mine:  http://agenaastro.co...dot-finder.html

Added: The optical window seems to be very clear/not tinted.

Edited by JimK, 07 January 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• CollinofAlabama, BGazing and javaruba like this

#36 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

This post is almost 3 years old, but I have to say, now that I have purchased the Baader SkySurfer III and USED it, it is the best single red dot finder I have ever used.  The Mars red dot (Stellarvue) is good, and better than the old Celestrons, but the Baader SSIII is a step ahead, with even more transparent plastic than the Stellarvue.  JimK was right.

• javaruba likes this

#37 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

I purchased a Skysurfer III, like it easy to use, light weight, comes with a complete set of feet for any type of shoe your scope might have.

Works well, easy to adjust, no coin needed on mine to turn the knobs.

#38 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:07 AM

For my Telrad I like it to be as far forward on the OTA as possible, like a cannon sight, I used Scopestuffs adapter for Synta / Vixen shoes, because the foot is on a rail it can be adjusted the full length of that rail so my Telrad actually over hangs but it's very stable.

The one thing I really like about the Telrad is that it can be quite a ways forward of my eye and still be easily aimed.

The center ring is basically the same as size as the dob's fov so I set the target on the right side of the ring and it enters the fov of the eyepiece within a second or two.

I just picked up one of the 3D'd adapters for Telrad to Synta / Vixen shoe from Dr. Benway, a CN Classifieds vendor, works great and with the same length of adjustment in the shoe as Scopestuff's but you don't have to move the foot back or forward with all the hassel, plus it lifts the Telrad off the deck by 2 inches, easier on the neck.

#39 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

I just got one of these SV RDFs the other day that came with a used WO72 I purchased.  It's my new favorite red dot finder (I have the metal ones and a skysurfer III).  The window is large and clear and the red dot is dimmer than my other ones.  I'm thinking about getting some additional ones for other scopes as they are pretty cheap too.

I have four of 'em: 12" Dob, 4" ED, 80mm achro and 5.5" Comet Catcher. No wait - I have five. I was having some intermittent connectivity / electrical issues with one. I shipped it to Vic and when it arrived it was working OK. He checked it over, sent it back and it's still fine, but he also sent me a spare in case there are problems again. Can't beat that!

I love them... large clear glass, light weight, dims down very nicely and a 0.965" eyepiece dew heater fits around the glass end nicely. About the only thing I could ask for is maybe a tad more 'tightness' in the build quality. Some (not all) kinda wiggle even when mounted down tight, but it's nothing that's a real problem and it would drive $$ up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics