•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI071MC-Cool Beta Test

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#251 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

• Loc: North Richland Hills Texas

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

Forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie and as awesome as this imager appears to be for DSO, can it be used for real time live views of planetary objects including solar observation? If so, FPS?  Thanks for the help.  Is there a better imager for real time usage?  I am just learning about this.

Here ya go.

4944×3284 10fps
1920×1200 28fps
1280×1080 33fps
640×480 70fps
320×240 134fps

I've not done planetary with it but can't imagine it would be a bad experience.

• Pug likes this

#252 DonBoy

DonBoy

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

To be quite honest I was planning to try the ASI071 with solar but haven't got around to do it.  With what you specified I'd say the ASI071 would meet your needs.  Here is ZWOs opinion:

https://astronomy-im...cts-comparison/

#253 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Seattle area

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

Appreciate the input everyone!  Sounds like the 071 may be a good choice.  I was looking at the Mallincam for DSO for a while, but didn't like its analog output.

• Pug likes this

#254 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

ZWO has an upgrade option until December for their newer Pro version currently.

#255 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Anyone take advantage of the upgrade to the Pro version yet?

#256 BigBanger

BigBanger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

I've tried to but my re-seller (who will go nameless) is still not clear as to the steps that they and I need to take. One thing is clear though, you have to turn your in your 071 and wait for a period of time before getting the Pro version. I've heard 2 weeks and 6 weeks from two sources. Thankfully, I have an ASI1600MM-Cool to keep me occupied. smile.gif

• Pug likes this

#257 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:59 PM

I've tried to but my re-seller (who will go nameless) is still not clear as to the steps that they and I need to take. One thing is clear though, you have to turn your in your 071 and wait for a period of time before getting the Pro version. I've heard 2 weeks and 6 weeks from two sources. Thankfully, I have an ASI1600MM-Cool to keep me occupied. smile.gif

Just purchased the upgrade from OPT.  The sales person I am working with says they are awaiting a batch of the new cameras from the factory but as soon as they arrive they will get me the updated version.

#258 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

I am planning on doing it directly with ZWO as I purchased mine from another CN member.  Not sure if the original local dealer would honor an upgrade but I might try and see if that is possible in light of the more expensive shipping option to China (about $60 from my calculation).

#259 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:39 AM

I'm not having my problems ASI071MC, but I decided to get on the waiting list for the upgrade through OPT. I know that HighPoint had  notice on their web site that they would only upgrade cameras that were bought from them, I', not sure that I saw anything like that on OPT's site. Since I bought mine from OPT I didn't look for it though.

Love this camera! It has been outside all night taking test images through a 'new' scope that  I am testing.

#260 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

I was actually able to order the upgrade from OPT.  Seems to me anyone can do it.  No stipulations on needing a previous order # for the upgrade.  They just sent me an email on how to send it to them - just the camera without accessories and the soft case.  I will package it up in the next couple days.  The email says that they won't get stock of them for a couple weeks anyway.  I don't really have a back up camera to use while in transit, but the weather here in Seattle isn't that great for the foreseeable future in any case...

#261 premk19

premk19

Ranger 4

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

I was actually able to order the upgrade from OPT.  Seems to me anyone can do it.  No stipulations on needing a previous order # for the upgrade.  They just sent me an email on how to send it to them - just the camera without accessories and the soft case.  I will package it up in the next couple days.  The email says that they won't get stock of them for a couple weeks anyway.  I don't really have a back up camera to use while in transit, but the weather here in Seattle isn't that great for the foreseeable future in any case...

I contacted OPT - yes anyone can order an upgrade through them. Easier shipping it to California than to China I guess.

#262 AlanHath2

AlanHath2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mableton, GA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

clockman,

When did you place your order?  I ordered my upgrade last Friday and haven't heard anything from OPT yet.

Alan

#263 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

clockman,

When did you place your order?  I ordered my upgrade last Friday and haven't heard anything from OPT yet.

Alan

Hey Alan,  What the sales guy told me was to just include the order receipt with the camera when you ship it to them.  

#264 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

clockman,

Alan

I got notified by email within 1-2 days of placing the order about the instructions on sending in the camera.  If it is more than that, you might want to call them to see if they received the order or have the correct email for you.

#265 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

I emailed OPT and they said they are waiting to get word on shipment from China - 2-3 wks estimate. Also, they said to include the screw on cover for the camera along with the soft bag.  No other accessories necessary.

#266 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'm in the same boat.  I placed my order last Friday and have heard nothing.  Been almost a week.  Guess I'll contact them.

-Dan

#267 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

I'd be curious to hear what they say. I'd guess that they don't want a flood of cameras sitting in storage with nervous cameraless customers waiting for the shipment from the manufacturer. I know that I don't want to send them my camera until they have the Pro's in stock.

Just a thought.

#268 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

Question:
How do you know if the camera you get back after the upgrade is the same one you sent in? Serial number? I'm not sure if my ASI071 has one.

Or am I misunderstanding the upgrade process?

#269 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

Question:
How do you know if the camera you get back after the upgrade is the same one you sent in? Serial number? I'm not sure if my ASI071 has one.

New pro version is bigger than original camera.

#270 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

Question:

Ok. So you must be getting a new body with some new internals? For $299?

#271 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Correct.  It is the identical sensor as was in the original but the seal around it has been improved and the cooling is better plus no dew feature is improved.

#272 sink45ny

sink45ny

Viking 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Question:

You will get an entirely new camera.

#273 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

Question:

You will get an entirely new camera.

New!
If that is the case, ZWO must be really eating it.
Good for customers. Not so much for the ZWO bottom line.

I'm keeping my ASI071 as-is for the time being. It's a good performer and has never even dropped a frame.

#274 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Since I bought my original from a member here, I figure, upgrading would allow me to have direct warranty assurance on the new one in case there is any trouble down the line!  Just packaged mine to OPT, and dropping it off at USPS later on!

Edited by clockman, 10 November 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#275 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

I sent mine back unopened to Tolga. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics