•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI071MC-Cool Beta Test

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#276 sink45ny

sink45ny

Viking 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

I bought my upgrade from OPT and when they have a shipment they will notify my and then I will ship it in. Hope to be using it later tonight while I wait for the slow boat from China.

#277 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

• Loc: Seattle area

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

I bought my upgrade from OPT and when they have a shipment they will notify my and then I will ship it in. Hope to be using it later tonight while I wait for the slow boat from China.

Just sent mine off.  Thing is, if you don't send it in now, you might not get into the queue for the shipment in case they don't have enough for this round of orders...  Since I live in the Seattle area, it is unlikely I'll have much opportunity to use my scope anytime soon anyway! LOL

#278 sink45ny

sink45ny

Viking 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

I hope they (ethically) go by upgrade purchase date.

#279 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Wa.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

I'm mulling over the option to upgrade. I have had no sensor frost, or dropped frame issues, but the "newest and best" is a strong lure... The positive side, as I see it, is not only the memory upgrade and cooling, but future resale. I wonder what will become of the standard 071's on the used market, in six months? Not that I plan to sell mine, I love it, but we all know how long that lasts in this hobby :)

The thing that concerns me is, will I truly get a 100% new camera? I am guessing the sensor is the most expensive part of these cameras, and I would hate to get a re-shuffled sensor, that someone else had frost up on him 20 times, repackaged in a new body. If it was a straight "send it to the dealer, we bill you $299, and ship you a new one" prospect, I wouldn't even pose the question. The whole shipping it back to China thing makes me scratch my head a little. As it stands now, I've got a sensor that has never seen frost, or had it's chamber opened, and I'd like the same coming back to me.

I have zero information that this is the case, I'm just wondering out loud...

Regards, Kyle

#280 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

• Loc: North Richland Hills Texas

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

From looking at their site when you pull up the upgrade it looks like they have 11 folks that have purchased the upgrade.

#281 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

Even if they did by upgrade purchase date, I'm sure they would only send out the replacements for those who already have theirs in their hands.  Just saying...

#282 sink45ny

sink45ny

Viking 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Even if they did by upgrade purchase date, I'm sure they would only send out the replacements for those who already have theirs in their hands.  Just saying...

No doubt they will send them out only to those that have returned them.

#283 NorthField

NorthField

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

i think i'm gonna wait a month.. i JUST got the replacement for my first 071.. it's working like it should, but i have a feeling that it could also fail in time, so i am going to upgrade.. 

maybe a month will be enough time to see if the Pro is reliable.. i hope it is

#284 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

i think i'm gonna wait a month.. i JUST got the replacement for my first 071.. it's working like it should, but i have a feeling that it could also fail in time, so i am going to upgrade.. 

maybe a month will be enough time to see if the Pro is reliable.. i hope it is

Don't wait too long, the offer expires at the end of Dec. I believe.

#285 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

I'm mulling over the option to upgrade. I have had no sensor frost, or dropped frame issues, but the "newest and best" is a strong lure... The positive side, as I see it, is not only the memory upgrade and cooling, but future resale. I wonder what will become of the standard 071's on the used market, in six months? Not that I plan to sell mine, I love it, but we all know how long that lasts in this hobby smile.gif

The thing that concerns me is, will I truly get a 100% new camera? I am guessing the sensor is the most expensive part of these cameras, and I would hate to get a re-shuffled sensor, that someone else had frost up on him 20 times, repackaged in a new body. If it was a straight "send it to the dealer, we bill you $299, and ship you a new one" prospect, I wouldn't even pose the question. The whole shipping it back to China thing makes me scratch my head a little. As it stands now, I've got a sensor that has never seen frost, or had it's chamber opened, and I'd like the same coming back to me.

I have zero information that this is the case, I'm just wondering out loud...

Regards, Kyle

I'd rather doubt that they would use returned 071's for the new Pro version.   If that were the case, they would have to have everyone pay the upgrade price, send them back, then a big delay before the first batch would be ready for shipment.

#286 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

What do you all think of the 071 Pro as an upgrade to a 1600MC-C (1st Gen)?  I'm primarily interested in upgrading because of the increase in FOV, dynamic range and, to a lesser extent, the usb hub and heated sensor window. Only negative I can see is the file sizes for processing, but I do have an i7 PC with plenty of storage space.

With my scopes, image scale ranges from .33 to 1.8 arcsec/px with the 1600 versus .42 to 2.27 arcsec/px with the 071. Here's a planetarium program screen shot comparing the FOV for M31 with the 1600 (smallest), an APS-C DSLR and the 071 (largest), using my 4" refractor at f/4.3:

FOV ASI1600, 071, T4i Compared.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Mike

#287 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I'm glad I had a look at the ZWO website re the ASI071 Upgrade Service. I was not really too concerned up until that point as my camera has been flawless.

However, it appears you are essentially receiving a new camera for the modest cost. A no brainer??

The larger issue is what becomes of ASI071's that have not been upgraded in the resale context. I would suggest they will be next to worthless. Especially if the original cameras start to fail for some reason.

The website states the Upgrade period expires Dec 31, 2017. Need to make a decision before it's too late.

#288 clockman

clockman

Explorer 1

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

I'm glad I had a look at the ZWO website re the ASI071 Upgrade Service. I was not really too concerned up until that point as my camera has been flawless.

However, it appears you are essentially receiving a new camera for the modest cost. A no brainer??

The larger issue is what becomes of ASI071's that have not been upgraded in the resale context. I would suggest they will be next to worthless. Especially if the original cameras start to fail for some reason.

The website states the Upgrade period expires Dec 31, 2017. Need to make a decision before it's too late.

Like a lot of computer manufacturers do on their returns, perhaps the returned 071s will also end up being sold as refurbished items for 70% of the new price.

#289 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Like a lot of computer manufacturers do on their returns, perhaps the returned 071s will also end up being sold as refurbished items for 70% of the new price.

Mmmm...

For the sake of ZWO's reputation, it would be very unwise to resell any (refurbished or otherwise) product that even gave a hint of unreliability or unsuitability for the application. At any price. 

Anyway, my Upgrade has been purchased. It's a great camera and I hope to enjoy it for a long time to come.

And while not a big fan of ZWO products, I commend them for taking the steps necessary to restore some confidence in their customer base.

#290 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hard to tell from the images of the ASI071 PRO on the website, but it looks like the port for the auxiliary desiccant tube is gone.

#291 Glutch

Glutch

Explorer 1

• Loc: North Richland Hills Texas

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Hard to tell from the images of the ASI071 PRO on the website, but it looks like the port for the auxiliary desiccant tube is gone.

It's still there, I see it in the video on the OPT site. It's under the camera and barely visible.

#292 scopenitout

scopenitout

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

It's still there, I see it in the video on the OPT site. It's under the camera and barely visible.
If we are looking at the same animation, the camera shown is the *old* ASI071-COOL, not the PRO.

The PRO has the new body with the prominent addition of 6 perimeter screws to seal the sensor chamber.

Edit: If you look at the PRO "What's in the box" description on ZWO's website, the auxiliary desiccant tube is no longer pictured. I'm guessing it's gone. As in, no longer required.

Edited by scopenitout, 11 November 2017 - 10:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics