•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tinsley Mak Yakk

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

Referencing this post on the auction thread --> http://www.cloudynig.../#entry7496691 

The Tinsley Mak on eBay is causing a stir -- What is it about Tinsley?

Let's do the yakking here, while the bids climb higher & higher -- like a helium balloon...

• Fhuyu likes this

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Over there, my last post was...

"Honestly, I think it's maxxing out, but if the T/L Mak goes over $1200, then there's at least one Tinsley collector bidding.  Or, we're seriously wrong about it.  That's always a possibility.  Got my excellent condition 1958 Questar Standard for 2K, so that's my yard stick."

• Augustus likes this

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

I no nothing about the build quality or optical performance of this scope.  I do own a hybrid 6" Tinsley Cassegrain with non Tinsley mirrors and secondary mirror holder.  My OTA is at least 70 years old, so hardware comparisons are less useful than a 1958 Unitron to a 1988 Unitron, except to say that standards probably dropped at Tinsley in the 1960s -- but I can't prove that.

What's this scope worth?  To a Tinsley Collector, maybe $2K or more.  To me, maybe $1K.  I could take it to JD, and he could determine the color, and use that on my Tinsley Cass, which would be something.  I doubt it would meet / exceed my Questar's performance.  Shoot!  Even my Mystery Mak might do better on axis.  (I should brag about this scope more often!) 

What do y'all think?  If you had a stack of mad money, would you bid on it?  Or, is it interesting because of the rarity, and the escalating auction?

• Dan Williams and terraclarke like this

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

For the collector with the means to own it, it's worthy of twice it's current price.   Out of reach for us bottom-feeders, however.

Maybe Tinsley has the fairy-dust factor now?

I've never been a fan.  Seems like only their institutional scopes are high quality, from my experience. 

• rolo, jim kuhns and terraclarke like this

#5 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Its worth what someone is willing to pay. I try to base it on the history of a scope instead of just the rarity. Who cares how rare it is if it doesn't perform. I've had a couple of 8" TL and neither was impressive optically or mechanically. There's no history on this particular model to  make me blow a chunk of cash that big! Like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder...

• Fhuyu and terraclarke like this

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

I have to disagree, Chuck.  The Tinsley 4" refractors have a very good reputation.  My OTA hardware is incredible -- in the Unitron or Goto "why use a one ounce piece when a ten ounce is sturdier" kind of way.

But, the 1960s Tinsley scopes are a different breed, based on reports here & elsewhere.

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

JW, I have had a personal experience with a 4" Tinsley refractor objective that blew chunks.  So I disagree with you, sir.  Seems like a crapshoot similar to Towa or anyone else.  The Emperor has no clothes on.

#8 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

How old is that thing anyways ? I think it's cool how it can sit on it's own case for viewing . ;)  I'll bet it exceeds $1500 , It's the first that I've seen . It would clean up real nice with a little TLC . Too bad it wasn't a local Craigslist for me  :lol: .    http://www.ebay.com/...ooAAOSwNRdYA6bJ

• terraclarke likes this

#9 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Of course however, if I could afford it, I'd probably buy it.

But it's not in the cards.  Hopefully someone here gets it and posts good pics.

#10 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

Its pretty cool like all the Tinsleys.

I've always wanted a 8 inch, I didn't know they made a 5.

This ebay 5 is interesting, like Tom mentioned the case,

it looks like it was built for observing in the field.

I agree it sure better be a jaw-dropper at that price.

Robert

Edited by actionhac, 21 October 2016 - 06:55 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#11 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

No thank you. I'll stick with my orange C90 and C5. It is cool tho.

• rolo, clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

#12 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

"JW, I have had a personal experience with a 4" Tinsley refractor objective that blew chunks."

I hate to read that!  My impression from the posts was that they're a swooft design with very good optics.  My other impression is that Tinsley scopes in general were over priced for the amateur market - maybe because they favored large / institutional buyers?

There's a 6" Cassegrain on eBay riding on a Kenko Polaris style mount.... My Tinsley version would crush that thing!  My point is that the choice of materials forces it onto a heavy mount, and a pedestal -- or a tripod that weighs as much as a pedestal.  Seems unnecessary to me, unless you're targeting upper middle class doctors, etc. with money for observatories.

I see some of that in the Mak we're yakking about.  Is it twice as heavy as a Questar?  Thrice??  If so, why?

#13 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

I think that sometimes we pass judgement on an entire line of scope just because we owned one or looked through one sample that was poor. That might not be the best approach. Some scopes do have a bad reputation but we shouldn't pass judgement because of one sample. I've personally tested a not so good Vixen 80 with a good amount of under correction. It would have been a mistake to say they're all bad.

in this case there's pretty much no history this Tinsley Mak but once you own a couple of the same brand and read about other's not so good experience with the same brand then you start to wonder...

• terraclarke likes this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

I wonder how much the current Seller paid for this scope at an Estate Sale?  Even more interesting to me... Who was its last owner??

(I gotta start going to estate sales!)

And of course, I start dialing back, and these truly rare scopes pop out 1.5 hours up the Interstate...  Where were they 3 years ago??

Edited by Bomber Bob, 21 October 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#15 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

No maker has put out 100% excellent optics.  (Except Saint Zambuto, or so I hear.  I can't afford him).  Even the likes of AP and Unitron have had the odd dog surface.  

A name is no guarantee of excellent quality.  At best, some brands can be a really good bet, maybe an almost foolproof bet.  But, there are no 100% sure-things.

• photiost and Bomber Bob like this

#16 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

And of course, I start dialing back, and these truly rare scopes pop out 1.5 hours up the Interstate...  Where were they 3 years ago??

On the owner's desk, while he was still living.  It's on the market now because his widow FINALLY gets to clean-out his junk.

• davidmcgo, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#17 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

On the owner's desk, while he was still living.  It's on the market now because his widow FINALLY gets to clean-out his junk.

Now that's funny!!  (And most likely true.)

• Fhuyu likes this

#18 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

My wife and daughter will be on eBay with my scopes as soon as they get back from my graveside service.  They might even skip the service!  

• Larry10, photiost, rolo and 6 others like this

#19 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

Just now walked into my man cave muttering, "Wonder what my Tinsley would bring at auction?" -- and she tried to hide behind that 40mm SPI...

Best I can tell, these have gone for about $1300 without the case, when they've shown up at auction -- which ain't often.

Terra put on her Naughty Hat on the auction thread, tried to bait me on this scope.  Here's my pros & cons based on what I know.

Pro - another oddball for the Fred Sanford of Vintage Scopes.

Con - unlike my current Tinsley, it's an expensive oddball.

Pro - good cosmetics, maybe it wasn't used much.

Con - maybe it wasn't used much because the views stink.

Pro - I could win the auction.

Con - it could be a Pyrrhic Victory. 

Pro - it could out perform my Questar.

Con - yeah, right!!

Pro - it would be a cool display.

Con - how often do I display my Questar?  Never - they made cases for a reason! 

Edited by Bomber Bob, 21 October 2016 - 10:39 PM.

• Adam S and terraclarke like this

#20 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

My wife and daughter will be on eBay with my scopes as soon as they get back from my graveside service.  They might even skip the service!  

I will try to sell as much as I can before that date. Only a couple of scopes will be left...or three...maybe four or five!

• TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and Ben Bajorek like this

#21 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

Pro - I could win the auction.

SOoooooooooooo , You are bidding ! good luck ! :lol: :waytogo:

• rolo likes this

#22 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

19?? ,  vintage please ?   :shrug:

#23 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:39 PM

Probably mid 60's

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#24 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

How cool is that ? ........The focuser knob looks like a micrometer thimble , I wounder if it is a Starrett ? :lol:      Looks like it's gona bust a Grand today . At this rate of bidding it very well could go over $2000.00 . :woot:  :thewave:  :dancey:                              

#25 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

Here's an interesting post in the ads thread .........   http://www.cloudynig...-ads/?p=7497613

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics