•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tinsley Mak Yakk

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#151 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

I think 'fubar' is inappropriate! ;)

• Garyth64 likes this

#152 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

It seems someone woke up this morning with their shorts in a knot! Of course one might wonder where were the criticism and admonition was during the feeding frenzy? Why only after the fact? In my view I see nothing in this thread worth getting all worked up and huffy over. We have gone down the same road over and over with regard to this forum inflating prices. While much postulating and pontification have been proffered over the years, I have seen no concrete evidence as to the fact. I think it's a lot of hot air myself. Some people give themselves and this forum way too much credit! People will pay whatever the market will bear, and basically that means that people will pay whatever they will pay, sucker or otherwise! All this was, in my opinion, was an evening's diversion laced with a little anonymous derision. Nothing more! It was all in fun; but remember boys and girls, it's all fun and games until someone looses an eye! Now on with the games!

• Larry10, PaulEK, Fhuyu and 4 others like this

#153 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

In the end, the bidder got what he/she wanted at a price he/she was willing to pay. What's wrong with that? Free enterprise at work. Personally, I thought the ride was fun.

• Fhuyu, madeline, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#154 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

If I had the wherewithal, I would have bought it.  I've paid a much higer price, in terms of the scopes original selling price, for 50mm and 60mm refractors, than what the Tinsley went for.

• madeline, Bomber Bob and Steve Allison like this

#155 trueblueTEX

trueblueTEX

Explorer 1

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

This make me love my pretty little orangetube C5 all the more! :)

This is OT, but I didn't want to just PM you and I didn't know if deserved it's own thread.  Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm mostly a CN "observer" (ie. I've been reading you guys for months but I never post -- I suddenly forget the correct term; old age)

Terra, you bring up the Orange Tube C5 a lot.  How does it compare to other CATs or Maks you've used?

What type of observing do use it for, mostly?

Do you use the Celstron .956 eyepieces or do you use 1.25"?  

I found an orange tube for $600 with all ep's, electrical drive corrector, tripod, diagonal,  but it's all .956.  I'm only interested in visual and I keep saying to myself "It's NOT big enough!  But it's complete and so DANGED CUTE!"

I'm just curious about your experiences with one.  

BTW, 35 years ago, I had a C8.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#156 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Welcome to The Classics!!

I'm sure Terra will be along to give you the straight skinny on the C5.

• terraclarke likes this

#157 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm wondering if someone in the ATS got the Tinsley.  Not a lot of them hang-out here regularly, but the Tinsley is on the borderline of the stuff they're interested-in. 

• bremms and Bomber Bob like this

#158 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Hi trueblueTEX!

Yep, I love my little C5. I got it earlier this year, in great condition and totally complete right down to the manual and tool kit. Optically and mechanically it is a great little scope. The views are quite similar to a good, long-focus 3" refractor, maybe a bit more with regard to light-gathering and going deep. The big difference is that it is so portable. Way easier than setting up my 3" equatorial but about the same effort as setting up the 4" Unitron alt-az. My C5 a complete little observatory in a small suitcase. I can use it alt-az (with slow-motion hand tracking) on my deck by just placing it on a wrought-iron pedistal table and pulling up a wrought iron patio chair. Or I can set it up as an electrically-driven equatorial in my garden observing pad on its wedgepod. Mine is all 0.965" and came with a nice compliment of original accessories. I also have other sets of 0.965" eyepieces to choose from including Unitron and Zeiss, but I find the Celestron (T) 0.965" Kelners and orthos quite servicable. I also have a good 0.965" to 1.25" Japanese prism star diagonal which works very well with my 1.25" (T) volcano-tops. I tried my modern Meade 1.25" SCT visual back on it and it doesn't thread well after a turn or two so I let go of that idea, not wanting to bum the threads. I have heard that a vintage orange tube C8 visual back works fine but I have not yet had occasion to try it. It is also a beautiful little object' to admire. It looks like a perfectly little miniaturized C8 (but with the same sized base. In short, I think I'll keep it. ;)

pictures are here:

http://www.cloudynig...on-c5-registry/

Edited by terraclarke, 25 October 2016 - 10:16 AM.

• kansas skies, Bomber Bob, paulymo and 1 other like this

#159 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

The purchase price surprised me. About double or at least $1000 more than I thought. And yes, Tinsleys are more ATS at this point. Very limited numbers. Well engineered, if missing in some execution.  The 8" cassegrain can be good if collimated properly. Optics in mine are good but probably not top notch. I might even be tempted to send them to OWL for testing and rework if  my testing shows mediocre figure. Getting ready to put it in the rotation and start testing.  A stepper may be in the cards for the drive as well.

• Chuck Hards, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#160 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

I can safely say,

That I did not pay

More than $3K

For my latest Tinsley...

Saturn Finder Scope S02.jpg

It'll clean up nice, and replace the brass finder on my Tinsley[hybrid] 6" Cassegrain.  I've seen these pop up before on eBay, but this Goodwill model had both caps, and a well made 1/4x20 tripod clamp -- can't beat that!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 25 October 2016 - 12:39 PM.

• terraclarke, rcwolpert, figurate and 1 other like this

#161 trueblueTEX

trueblueTEX

Explorer 1

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks, Terra!!!

• terraclarke likes this

#162 93711dude

93711dude

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • Loc: Iapetus

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

perhaps it might be time for all of us to step back and rethink future posts in this thread before placing them here.  i know that there are a couple classic scopes which i would probably be willing to spend lots more than a reasonable CNer would, just because of what they would mean to me. so - to all my fellow collectors - enjoy!  

Edited by 93711dude, 25 October 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#163 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

Dude, would a vintage 6" F23 Mak Cass that Werner Von Braun may have used as a cabbage cooker strike your fancy?  [j/k --> I don't know if Werner even liked sauerkraut.]

Tinsley has a mystique about it.  Put one in an auction, and some of us go nutz.  It's like our version of Jerry Springer's   "Is Tinsley the Daddy?"   Don't know about y'all, but during the final 90 seconds, I went through half a can of cashews!

#164 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hi trueblueTEX!

Yep, I love my little C5. I got it earlier this year, in great condition and totally complete right down to the manual and tool kit. Optically and mechanically it is a great little scope. The views are quite similar to a good, long-focus 3" refractor, maybe a bit more with regard to light-gathering and going deep. The big difference is that it is so portable. Way easier than setting up my 3" equatorial but about the same effort as setting up the 4" Unitron alt-az. My C5 a complete little observatory in a small suitcase. I can use it alt-az (with slow-motion hand tracking) on my deck by just placing it on a wrought-iron pedistal table and pulling up a wrought iron patio chair. Or I can set it up as an electrically-driven equatorial in my garden observing pad on its wedgepod. Mine is all 0.965" and came with a nice compliment of original accessories. I also have other sets of 0.965" eyepieces to choose from including Unitron and Zeiss, but I find the Celestron (T) 0.965" Kelners and orthos quite servicable. I also have a good 0.965" to 1.25" Japanese prism star diagonal which works very well with my 1.25" (T) volcano-tops. I tried my modern Meade 1.25" SCT visual back on it and it doesn't thread well after a turn or two so I let go of that idea, not wanting to bum the threads. I have heard that a vintage orange tube C8 visual back works fine but I have not yet had occasion to try it. It is also a beautiful little object' to admire. It looks like a perfectly little miniaturized C8 (but with the same sized base. In short, I think I'll keep it. ;)

pictures are here:

http://www.cloudynig...on-c5-registry/

I concur about the C5.  I always wondered why anyone would want a C5 when I C8 could be had for the same or a little more.  Then I got one.  I already had a C8.  Turns out I pull out the C5 more than my C8.  Why?  Pretty much the same reasons as Terra, although I don't use any of my EQ scopes in Alt-Az.  It's super light in comparison to a C8.  Good optics.  Cools quickly.  Very transportable.  Also much more stable on the wedge than the C8.

While I got a small handful of 0.965" EPs with mine, my EP collection is really 1.25" so I just bought a second 1.25" visual back and only have to worry about one set of EPs.

My C5 is probably still the last scope I'd consider selling.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#165 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

I wonder if Max Bray had anything to do with this Tinsley 5 inch MCT.

There are probably people that collect Max Bray's telescopes, and of

course there are Tinsley collectors too.

JW here's what's inside your new Tinsley, a whole lotta stuff in there:

Saturn 007.JPG

Saturn 006.JPG

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and ftwskies like this

#166 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Robert!  Good golly!  No wonder it weighs so much!

#167 BillWX

BillWX

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:13 PM

Greetings,

I don't get to check the board often, but have this old Tinsley telescope for a while and am considering selling it since I don't use it. From the looks on here, it's apparently "rare".  It's a Tinsley 5" Maksutov. The optics of the main telescope are good, except there is a small circular area where the aluminum is chipped off on the main mirror. It doesn't impact the images though - which are really nice. I would say comparable to a Questar. The finder needs cleaning (optically) and the movement of the scope needs some TLC, but it does work. It doesn't have the electric cord, so I don't know about the powering or if that actually works.

But...worth anything? Is it "really" a rare telescope?

I'll attach pictures I took today. (Feb. 11, 2019)

-Bill

TinsleyMak5inch1.JPG
TinsleyMak5inch2.JPG
TinsleyMak5inch3.JPG

Edited by BillWX, 11 February 2019 - 05:13 PM.

• Adam S, TerryWood, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#168 BillWX

BillWX

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

OK, just looked back through this thread and ...wow. Can't believe I might have something "rare" as far as a telescope. It's a nice little telescope I've had for years as a backup to my 6" refractor. But work and time have kept me from observing. (I work in a huge planetarium and love the sky and wish I had more time for the real sky!) This is an oldie and it does have the original optics. I did clean the mirror extremely carefully several years ago and it has a small (about 1/2-3/4" almost perfectly circular) area near one edge that the aluminum came off. It has no impact on observing though. I put on a nice Nagler eyepiece and the planets, moon and sun (with a full aperture Baader filter) are sharp and beautiful. Double stars look nice and it does a nice job splitting some close ones, as I recall.

But I don't have the time to take it apart and do the TLC to the old mechanics like I used to. That's why I'm considering selling it - hopefully someone can enjoy the views and keep it in top shape for an older telescope. It's in the original case, that doubles as a platform for the telescope (just flip the telescope over and it sits on top). For its size, it's also pretty heavy.

-Bill

PS..I'll throw in some other pictures taken several years ago with the 'scope in action. An outdoor event and I had the solar filter on it. The solar image was simply holding a digital camera up to the eyepiece, focusing and taking the solar image that way. It came out pretty nice.
TinsleyMak5inch4.JPG

TinsleyMak5inch5.JPG

TinsleyMak5inch-solarpicture6.JPG

Edited by BillWX, 11 February 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• Adam S, terraclarke, bremms and 3 others like this

#169 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

I had one of those back in the day when I worked for Tinsley. I bought from another employee who rarely used it. I wish I hadn’t sold it shortly after to fund another project I can’t even remember now.....Rod

#170 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:06 PM

OK, just looked back through this thread and ...wow. Can't believe I might have something "rare" as far as a telescope. It's a nice little telescope I've had for years as a backup to my 6" refractor. But work and time have kept me from observing. (I work in a huge planetarium and love the sky and wish I had more time for the real sky!) This is an oldie and it does have the original optics. I did clean the mirror extremely carefully several years ago and it has a small (about 1/2-3/4" almost perfectly circular) area near one edge that the aluminum came off. It has no impact on observing though. I put on a nice Nagler eyepiece and the planets, moon and sun (with a full aperture Baader filter) are sharp and beautiful. Double stars look nice and it does a nice job splitting some close ones, as I recall.

But I don't have the time to take it apart and do the TLC to the old mechanics like I used to. That's why I'm considering selling it - hopefully someone can enjoy the views and keep it in top shape for an older telescope. It's in the original case, that doubles as a platform for the telescope (just flip the telescope over and it sits on top). For its size, it's also pretty heavy.

-Bill

PS..I'll throw in some other pictures taken several years ago with the 'scope in action. An outdoor event and I had the solar filter on it. The solar image was simply holding a digital camera up to the eyepiece, focusing and taking the solar image that way. It came out pretty nice.
TinsleyMak5inch4.JPG

TinsleyMak5inch5.JPG

TinsleyMak5inch-solarpicture6.JPG

Very rare. And very cool.

• JohnH and starman876 like this

#171 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Yes very cool!

The mounting looks like it's the same color as my Tinsley 4 inch.

Robert

post-50896-0-59487900-1435455080_thumb.jpg

• Adam S, starman876, TerryWood and 3 others like this

#172 JohnH

JohnH

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Very rare. And very cool.

Post some of this to the Cassegrain Forum. They would like seeing this, I wouldn't however, as some of them would want to buy it, possibly a lot more than I would.

PS I reaslly love the little detail on the focus knob being off at an angle to the bottom of the OTA. Looks just right.

Edited by JohnH, 14 February 2019 - 08:29 PM.

• Steve Allison likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics