•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS UWA 4mm

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Curiosity got the better of me and I bought one.

Externally, it strongly resembles the ES 82° eyepieces; the body is of black anodised aluminium. It's almost 10 cm long and quite heavy. The nose is not chromed but also anodized  and slightly tapered instead of featuring the more common retaining ring.

The upper lens has a nice, uniform green coating. TS states the Eyepiece is composed of 7 elements in four groups; eye relief is 12mm so it matches the specs of the older UWA.  Eyepiece is however waterproof and nitrogen purged like the ES eyepieces.

PS: weather is bad, I'm still waiting for delivery of my new AZ Pro mount and my old Nexstar kicked the bucket two weeks ago. For now this eyepiece remains a nice, 119€ paperweight  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0059 copy.jpg
  • _DSC0061 copy.jpg
  • _DSC0063 copy.jpg

Edited by Marcsabb, 24 October 2016 - 11:04 AM.

• denis0007dl, Gyna and rogeriomagellan like this

#2 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

Looks very nice, and seems much more binoviewer friendly vs older design!

#3 Max Power

Max Power

Viking 1

• Loc: retired roving transient.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

But is it the same as William Optic UWAN 4mm? Or a new version?

#4 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

But is it the same as William Optic UWAN 4mm? Or a new version?

I've never owned the William Optics UWAN, so I cannot say. TS has its own line of telescopes and accessories but usually all it does are minor customisations of standard designs by manufacturers like JOC/GSO/Long Perm etc... 

The specs match the old eyepiece but the body is clearly 'inspired' by the ES eyepieces, including the weather proofing. What I find interesting is that no other brand now is selling similar eyepieces. What are the chances TS took the Williams Optics design and asked another firm (maybe JOC?) to produce them using the same manufacturing techniques employed for the Explore Scientific eyepieces?

• CarlDD likes this

#5 Traian

Traian

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:49 AM

Have you tested the TS UWAN 4mm? If yes, how is it on planets and how fast is your scope?

#6 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:19 AM

Looks like United Optics UWA, optically should be the  same as WO UWA. TS isn't a manufacturer, just a vendor selling rebrands made by Barsta, United Optics etc.

#7 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Have you tested the TS UWAN 4mm? If yes, how is it on planets and how fast is your scope?

Not yet. Even discounting the bad weather here (but the weekend should be fine) I'm still one mount too short! I've tested it only with a terrestrial spotting scope on ground targets. Neutral colors, good image crispness till the borders of the field, no flares or reflections. There is a slight pincushion effect but I don't think it would be noticeable on sky objects. It looks a fine eyepiece; as soon as I get my new Az Pro I'm going to try it on several scopes, with different F-ratios.

#8 Gyna

Gyna

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Siena, Italy

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

I'm also interested in this new TS UWAN 4mm for bino use in an APM 100 ED APO.

I would like to know if you have noticed some kidney bean effect in daytime use, and if it is possible to view all the field of view at a glance. I use a  couple of ES 82° 6,7mm that are perfect in all aspect but they suffer by kidney bean effect in daytime use when I try to view all the 82° of their field of view.

Thank you very much for your report!

Marco

#9 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:23 PM

It's a nice looking eyepiece. The eye lens and field lens and their mounting arrangements look identical to those on a 4mm UWAN / Nirvana. The coatings look the same as well. The 4mm UWAN is a very good performer so you should be very happy with it if it is the same optically.

• havasman likes this

#10 Gyna

Gyna

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Siena, Italy

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

No news on the eyepiece? I'm very tempted by this UWAN 4mm, but I have the doubt if the new ones are better than the old ones or vice versa... and if ES 82 4,7mm would be a better choice (but I would prefere the 137 magnification of a 4mm on my APM ED APO 100 for moon and planets occasional observation...)

More than ever... clear skies! (To evaluate the eyepiece!)   :biggrin: 

Marco

Edited by Gyna, 06 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#11 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:32 AM

Nope. I'm still without mount. The ETA has been pushed back again by two weeks!  :mad:  As I cannot drag my old LX2080 to my apartment, I think I'll have to load an AZ4 or similar small manual mount unless I want to miss all the best objects of this season!

#12 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

Keep us posted Marc :D !

George

#13 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

Today I received a notice that the mount has been shipped 'ahead of schedule' (yeah, right.) Hopefully this weekend (clouds and rain permitting) I'll be able to point a scope at something... anything! 

• george tatsis likes this

#14 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

Couldn't resist and placed an order too. I think it's gonna be perfect for globs ( 188 X) in my 6" f/5 refractor. Even though I love my

XWs, the sheer size of them sometimes puts me off and I want something smaller like the Meade 5K series or the  TS

UWAN 4mm   ;)

George

#15 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

Is it possible to measure the diameter of the eye lens? Thanks.

George

#16 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

George

I'll try to do that. Mount has finally arrived. Unleash the clouds!  :lol:

#17 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

George

I'll try to do that. Mount has finally arrived. Unleash the clouds!  :lol:

Thanks Marc!

#18 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:07 AM

The eye lens is about 16mm in diameter. Yesterday evening, as my new mount arrived, I tried to put eyepiece and mount to good use with the half moon. It was however the wrong scope (C6 @ 375x) and the wrong night as the seeing was poor with haze and clouds rolling in and out as well as a loot of air turbulence.

Despite this, the eyepiece put up a good fight within the limit of the sky. I can't really comment on crispness of the image but I found the eyepiece pleasant to use, color neutral and with a good illumination right up to the border. I am tempted to go in and buy the 7mm as well, seeing that it's still discounted on TS. In three week a small, fast apochromat will join the family so that would be a better scope to judge the quality of this eyepiece.

On a side note, this was also the first time I used my new Baader-Zeiss diagonal (while waiting for the new mount I restocked my supply of toys...) and I was really blown away by its quality. Even the rest of my old eyepieces seemed to perform better and sharper...

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#19 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:42 AM

Great. Did you find the eye relief comfortable enough to take in the FOV ?

George

#20 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

Great. Did you find the eye relief comfortable enough to take in the FOV ?

George

I found myself drawn quite close to the lens to appreciate the full FOV  and my eyelashes scraped frequently against the rubber eyeguard when blinking. I don't know if this is a sign that the advertised eye relief is possibly a bit exaggerated. Usually I don't have such problems with Plossl and other short eye relief EPs. Maybe it's just the eyeguard design. At any rate my impressions are positive and there are no many ultra wide eyepiece available at this price. A good benchmark would be to pit this EP against the ES 4.7mm but I don't have it; it's the closest in terms of price, features and focal length.

#21 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:59 AM

I was afraid you would say that. Is the eyeguard easy to remove, or is it fixed?

George

#22 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

I was afraid you would say that. Is the eyeguard easy to remove, or is it fixed?

George

I didn't try to remove it, but it looks like it's not fixed.

#23 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

George

George

Then I will when it gets here!

George

#24 Max Power

Max Power

Viking 1

• Loc: retired roving transient.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Got mine! Hope it is better than the old UWAN 4mm. Did not think the older version was better than a Radian 4mm on the planets.

All the specs are the same oldie-newie:
82 degree, 12mm eye relief, 7 elements in 4 groups.
Only diff is nitrogen filled and waterproof.

So maybe changed manufacturer to whoever makes Explore Scientific eyepieces. Will be testing on Jupiter against a Radian and Antares W70.

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC3544.JPG

• george tatsis, denis0007dl and rogeriomagellan like this

#25 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

Nice!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics