•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New TS UWA 4mm

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 Max Power

Max Power

Viking 1

• Loc: retired roving transient.

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

Got a look at Jupiter just before dawn. Light clouds, seeing not so good. Scope used APM 107 f/6.5, 53-triple glass. As the clouds went away seeing improved, hey look the Red Spot is rotating into view! Gave me something definite to look at.

Endless swapping between Radian and TS. Way different focus points, Radian out and TS in. Radian is much heavier. But really hard to see a difference between the 2. On both you can watch Jupiter slide out of view and they are both good to edge. Maybe need a bigger scope. Looked like 175x with the 4mm's was pretty much the maximum power that could be used at that time.

So what would I recommend? Getta TV Delite, they are on sale, and from the reports they are better than the Radians so should beat both of these.

#27 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hi, Marc. Is that the only TS eyepiece that you own? And do you or have you ever owned any TS telescope?

#28 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

I had a few TS eyepieces but these are only rebranded third party models with minor customizations.

They have decent price/performance ration and some are actually quite good but not overly expensive.

#29 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

This weekend I was finally able to put the new TS 4mm UWAN through the paces and I'm satisfied with its performance. For a 120€ eyepiece it's actually a very good purchase; I dare to say people interested in wide-EPs should give it a try before committing to pricier purchases.

After the good time I had last weekend with this EP, I've ordered the 7mm one.

• george tatsis and rogeriomagellan like this

#30 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

I had a few TS eyepieces but these are only rebranded third party models with minor customizations.

They have decent price/performance ration and some are actually quite good but not overly expensive.

Thanks for replying. If you have ever owned a TS HR Planetary eyepiece, how would you compare it to Plössls? Would you say that the former deliver much better images than the latter ones?

#31 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

I never tried the HR planetary line. Aren't these supposed to be clones of the TMB Planetary II with improved coatings?

I recently tried the TS Edge On (6 lenses modified Koenig/Erfle) but left me rather unimpressed.

PS: If anybody is interested, it seems that Teleskop Express is having a sale of their EP. The old 4,  7, 16 mm UWANs are now sold for 96€ (down from 199€ recommended street price!) and the newer versions, the one I'm writing about in this thread, are for 114€. To recap, optically these UWAN families seems the same. Old ones are larger and with adjustable eyecup, the new ones adopt a design similar to that of Explorer Scientific 82° and are also nitrogen purged and waterproofed.

Edited by Marcsabb, 28 November 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#32 Gyna

Gyna

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Siena, Italy

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

I also bought a couple of UWAN 4mm for my APM 100 APO ED bino :grin:

After several days (and nights) of observations, I can confirm that these are good eyepieces, with perfect sharpness across all the field of view. The eye relief is a bit tight, sometime I smeared the eye lens with my eyelashes, but the kidney bean effect is small also in daylight, sure smallest than ES 82 6,7mm I have, and I can see the entire field of view with ease. 

The only drawback is the light scatter, that is a little bit more than in my ES 82 eyepieces, lowering a little the overall contrast.

By the way, these UWAN 4mm reach the limits of my APM 100 ED APO: the color correction still good, only a little hue of blue around bright white object in daylight or very very bright stars at night, but I begin to notice the difference in sharpness between the two barrels of the bino. No astigmatism or coma, but a different level of spherical correction.

Thanks to All for your usefull reports on these eyepieces.

Marco

#33 george tatsis

george tatsis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

I also bought a couple of UWAN 4mm for my APM 100 APO ED bino :grin:

After several days (and nights) of observations, I can confirm that these are good eyepieces, with perfect sharpness across all the field of view. The eye relief is a bit tight, sometime I smeared the eye lens with my eyelashes, but the kidney bean effect is small also in daylight, sure smallest than ES 82 6,7mm I have, and I can see the entire field of view with ease. 

The only drawback is the light scatter, that is a little bit more than in my ES 82 eyepieces, lowering a little the overall contrast.

Marco,

What objects did you use to determine the difference in light scatter?

George

#34 Gyna

Gyna

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

George,

mostly stars and globulars. Next days I'll try Jupiter, if I will get up early in the morning... When I compared the UWAN 4mm with ES82 6,7mm side by side (one in a barrel of the bino, one in the other) I always seen a little bit more light scatter in the UWAN. In the UWAN the light scatter reaches a bothersome level (to me) in averted vision. I am aware that eyepieces with many lenses like 82° eyepieces have obviously scatter, but in my opinion the ES82 is slight better in performance (scatter, overall contrast) than UWAN. The sharpness across the field of view is more similar between the two eyepieces.

One note: I am comparing different magnifications, I am aware of this. The UWAN 4mm (137x) give a darkest sky than ES 6,7mm (82x), and the scatter is more visible against a blacker background... but in my (umble) opinion the UWAN has anyway a little more scatter. I don't have a ES82 4,7mm to compare, maybe someone else...

Marco

#35 MortonH

MortonH

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:13 AM

Light scatter ultimately led to me selling my WO IWAN 4mm. Sounds like the TS versions haven't improved that aspect. UWANs are still the only option for 4mm at 82 degrees.

#36 Gyna

Gyna

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

MortonH,

I actually think that the ES82 4,7mm would be better than the UWAN 4mm overall, but the focal lenght was too similar to my ES82 6,7mm for my purpose. I am curious to test the UWAN 4mm on Jupiter.

Marco

#37 Max Power

Max Power

Viking 1

• Loc: retired roving transient.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Tried the TS4uwan in a 5" apo triple on Jupiter this morning. Bad thing about big triple lenses is cool down time, took 1/2 hour. 4mm provides 230x in this scope and it was right at the limit that could be used. A 5mm was sharply focused but smaller planet, the 3mm radian was clearly too much power.

Again could see little difference between the radian 4 and the ts4. No red spot to look at, same squiggly lines of the 2 equatorial belts and smaller belts could be seen before you got to the polar zones.

So the new TS4 is an improvement over the old style which could not match a TV Radian on the planets and the price went down too. 82 degree field is really good for hi-power views of clusters like all the tiny ones in Cassiopeia.
  • MortonH and george tatsis like this

#38 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:04 AM

I've finally received my 7mm UWAN. I've tried it briefly (poor skies as usual...) and it seems a good performer as well. I tested it with a Intes M500 (5" - F10) for about 180x of magnification; views were pleasing with excellent contrast right up to the borders. I'm waiting to try them with a fast APO refractor for a direct comparison and a final verdict. I must say that I'm less impressed by the 7mm as I was for the 4mm. I briefly used the latter with the M500 (weather was much better that night, though) on the moon with excellent results at a bit over 300x magnification.

As for the eye relief, I've got the same impression I had with the 4mm before: it's somehow shorter than the advertised one. I also had the same problems of the eyelashes scraping against the rubber eyeguard.

#39 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:52 AM

Small update:

These past three weeks gifted me with several nights of good and very good seeing even from my humble suburban dwelling. I had the chance to use these eyepieces repeatedly with several scopes from F6 to F12.

The 4mm one is surprisingly good and allowed me to push the scopes to their limits, within the constraints of seeing. It has quickly become my favorite high magnification eyepiece and I've finally found a comfortable viewing position, although eyelashes still gets in the view sometimes.

I've still some doubts about the 7mm one. It's not a bad EP but unlike the other, I still couldn't find a comfortable viewing position and I often run into blackouts. Also, it seems to me it has some slight astigmatism at the borders, something I didn't spot in its 4mm brother. 

Did anybody else here had the chance to try the 7mm ?

Edited by Marcsabb, 09 January 2017 - 05:54 AM.

• george tatsis likes this

#40 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Small update:

These past three weeks gifted me with several nights of good and very good seeing even from my humble suburban dwelling. I had the chance to use these eyepieces repeatedly with several scopes from F6 to F12.

The 4mm one is surprisingly good and allowed me to push the scopes to their limits, within the constraints of seeing. It has quickly become my favorite high magnification eyepiece and I've finally found a comfortable viewing position, although eyelashes still gets in the view sometimes.

I've still some doubts about the 7mm one. It's not a bad EP but unlike the other, I still couldn't find a comfortable viewing position and I often run into blackouts. Also, it seems to me it has some slight astigmatism at the borders, something I didn't spot in its 4mm brother. 

Did anybody else here had the chance to try the 7mm ?

Hi, Marc.

After more than a year, what is your final statement about the TS 82° 7mm for planetary use?

#41 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

Any updates on a new TS 4mm UWA ? smile.gif

I feel I'd need to ad a 4mm eyepiece to my lineup. Radian and Delite is out of the question, too small FOV for my manual alt-az and dob.

I'd opt for a 3.5 mm XW but my field experience tells me that the magnification gap between 5XW will be a bit too large.

The combinations with barlow I have at disposal are not producing satisfactory magnification steps, and I want to phase out the barlow alltogether.

I am interested in this TS 4mm UWA, and the price is right for an eyepiece that will be rarely used.

I have noticed reports about 4 UWAN falls a little short in light scatter category. Is it really that intrusive?

I do not expect XW / Morpheus performance, but still want somethnig nice.

Edited by Tom_m, 11 August 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#42 Starlease

Starlease

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky mountains.

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Thought the new TEes were so good sold the UWANs and got all the TTes.

#43 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

As there aren't really any other contenders in 4 mm range for my needs, I've just ordered one.

If the folks said it's equal (or even better) as Radians, I guess I can't go wrong. I've kind of removed myself from shorter eye relief 82's, but I need FOV and for the eyepiece that will see least usage from the lot, I'll live with the eye relief.

I haven't got any expectations, but something tells me I will be pleasantly surprsed smile.gif

I'll post a short report if I'll have good enough seeing any time soon.

Edited by Tom_m, 12 August 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#44 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

As there aren't really any other contenders in 4 mm range for my needs

I have to quote myself LOL

Just found out that infact there IS a contender in the form of new Orion LHD 80 degree eyepieces, that also comes at 4mm focal lenghth.

I just found out about them today. Specs on paper are very interesting but there are barely any reports on these ones and the price is relatively high.

Comparing to this enigmatic alternative I am not regreting my decion of choosing a TS 4 mm UWA.

#45 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

I recieved my new TS 4 UWAN today. Happy new occular day to me!lol.gif

I just got in after a first light. Not properly / fully tested from the dark site, I was observing from a home terrace.

Here are my first impressions about this eyepiece.

First, it is small and light. Very 1,25" ES 82°-ish. smile.gif It comes in a simple "economy box", with stickers that marks which eyepiece is in it, but all is safely packed inside a foam enclosure, like a good eyepiece should be packed. Good.

I love the hard rubber eyecup! It is very solid and nicely pops up when folded up. I like the this kind of eyecup better that on ES's for example (Morpheus does not even qualify into sold eyecup league LOL). The eyecup reminds me of 13 T6's, wit the difference that eyecup here is even better fit. One of the best eyecups fit I've encountered. 

Eyelens is on the smaller side, but it is not recessed like on ES 82's and I find it very comfortable to use , as far as 82 degree eyepieces go.

I can take in the whole field very easy (I use the ep with eyecup folded down) and the field stop is sharply rendered. Good start!

I observed Jupiter, Moon, Saturn, Mars, Arcturus, Vega and a cuple of doubles (Izar, Alkalurops, Zeta Corona Borrealis, a nearby Struve 0,5 deg. or so due south, that I am too lazy to check the number right now, Double Double in Lyra and Pi Aquilae). I was observing with my 120 ED.

First , Jupiter was too low to have comments of any consequence.

Secondly, the Moon. And here comes a shock, but maybe not surprisingly so: GLARE! This eyepieces produces glare on Moon. You know what I am talking about... put the terminator down the middle of the FOV and on the dark side you can see a yellow reflection that you cannot control. Some eyepieces are better that others in this respects (Orthos and likes probably being the best, but it is not wide field so not a fair competition in that regard), but this one is unfortunately one of the worst ofenders that I've encountered. ES 8,8 was doing this, but can't compare which was worse of these two, I can only speak from memory. Here it's not pretty -- you can see a disc shaped yelow glare with sharply defined borders, concentric to the field stop. Like some internal baffling is missing or like some edge was not blackened - who knows. Checking the eypeiece from the field lens side, there is one brighter ring that I am not sure what it is. I will post a picture when I manage. I would be very surprised if some of the lens edge is not blackened!

BUT one must remember that this is a 100 € eyepiece, not 300 + one, so you can't be too harsh. Admittedly and notoriously, more than one kind of wide field eyepiece is known to suffer from this problem. The problem is that here is intrusive and it significantly interferes with observing - you must learn to ignore a yellow circle on the dark side across the terminator. Not so sweet.

Anyway, now when we got this out of the way, I can safely say that this is the only negative thing about this eyepiece. Tested on all doubles and planets in ED120, it is sharp almost to the edge, with a bit of loss in sharpnes at some last 5% of field. At the same time a chromatic smear appears that contributes to this. But all in all, tightest doubles exited the field stop still resolved, and saturn's rings for example practically stay sharp till the edge, so it is just a tiny bit loss of sharpness at the edge, and I'd rate this as excellent performance. Nobody chases object right to the field stop with 82 degree shorter eye relief eyepiece, right? No false color appeared prior to this last 5%, so also excellent performance in this regard.

Glare on the planets and brighter stars was a non issue for me. For my eyes, it is even comparable to Pentax XW performance that was the benchmark in this test. Now this was VERY reassuring after I got scared with the Moon! Maybe there will be more difference with a 12" light bucket, but I will use this 4mm very rarely on my 12", and when I do get the seeing that supports 400x, I will certainly not be looking or searching for an eyepiece glare arond the planet than! smile.gif

I got some moments of steady seeing and I can say this eyepiece is sharp indeed. Oh, very nice airy discs by the way! You gotta love refractors...

On Saturn I'd rate the view on par with Pentax XW, with regards to percieved contrast, glare, and colour rendition. The pastel colours that goes (from south to the north) from creamy beige, over darker brown band, to the rather uniform subtle shade of pastel brown with some light olive green tone towards the north pole, all could be seen in both eyepieces. Maybe the equal focal lenght XW would best the UWAN - can't know. Anyway, I enjoyed TS 4 UWAN on Saturn very much.

At last, Mars. More seeing sensitive planet, and a bit lower, the comparison here was not fair. I got a decent amount of details with UWAN but it was affected too much my bad seeing. The view was nicer with XW5. Nothing more was seen in WX than in TS, but darker areas were better etched and also popped up a bit better in Pentax. All this was certainly due to magnification difference and effet of seeing, so really, no fair comparison here. Athough I would expect a better definded "darks" and "lights" in Pentax if I had equal focal lengths to compare.

All in all, I am satisfied. I somehow got what I expected. ES82 performance, with a possible (even) better planetary capacitythan ES in the form of UWAN 4, better ergonomisc overall than shorter ES82's (at least for me), great price and the magnification spread is just what I needed. This jump from 180x to 225x is spot on.

Still I must try it on deep sky, but this is more 12" dob territory and a whole year can pass before I get the opportunity to steadily observe at 400x. Hope it happens soon, as there are some seriously great planetary nebueae arorund just right now laugh.gif

If I could find a way to alleviate the Moon glare issue, this eyepiece would deserve full 4.5 out of 5 stars for me. Especially considering it's price. With this moon issue, it solid 4/5. 

What are the other's experience with UWAN 4 and Moon ? Maybe there is a solution to this with some kind of field lens baffle, like was done with the older N2 ES 8,8?

Edited by Tom_m, 17 August 2018 - 06:44 PM.

• george tatsis likes this

#46 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

If it is the same as a WO UWAN I suspect you'll  be happy with it. My 16 WO UWA is used a lot barlowed, Powermated and solo and image  quality is XW-Delos good! No glare on the Moon barlow or not. David

Edited by dscarpa, 17 August 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#47 Tom_m

Tom_m

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:09 PM

Ok people, here are two photos.

Both are done without flashlight under a bright dinig room light.

Does this bright ring on the 1st photo looks line non blackened lens edges to you?

2nd photo shows an internal reflection that may be the cause of the moon glare problem.

Looking inside I can't notice any baffles from either side of this bright reflection area.

In comparison, Pentaw XW looks like having a hundred baffles inside, and show no such a bright area anywhere in the frist place. XW is really perfectly executed.

Thoughts? smile.gif

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

Edited by Tom_m, 18 August 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#48 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

Tried the TS4uwan in a 5" apo triple on Jupiter this morning. Bad thing about big triple lenses is cool down time, took 1/2 hour. 4mm provides 230x in this scope and it was right at the limit that could be used. A 5mm was sharply focused but smaller planet, the 3mm radian was clearly too much power.

Again could see little difference between the radian 4 and the ts4. No red spot to look at, same squiggly lines of the 2 equatorial belts and smaller belts could be seen before you got to the polar zones.

So the new TS4 is an improvement over the old style which could not match a TV Radian on the planets and the price went down too. 82 degree field is really good for hi-power views of clusters like all the tiny ones in Cassiopeia.

Hi, Max.

Since a Radian has only 60 degrees of FOV and you said that you could see little difference between your Radian 4mm and the TS 82° 4mm, it seems reasonable to assume that the TS eyepiece is a very good performer. Just wondering here if it is as good as an ES 82° 4.7mm or if there is any feature where the TS eyepiece is second to none.  

#49 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

Thought the new TEes were so good sold the UWANs and got all the TTes.

Hi. Could you elaborate any further? Would you mind telling us what you like better about the TS 82° eyepieces? 

Edited by rogeriomagellan, 18 August 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#50 Starlease

Starlease

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky mountains.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:42 PM

The new ones are slightly better on the planet's than the UWANs.

Same great 82 degree performance. N2 sealed and lower price

of around $140 whether direct from Germany or Stellarview.

What's not to like.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics