•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Buridan's friend *DELETED*

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:22 PM

Post deleted by astromacus

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 20 March 2004 - 07:53 PM

How about the Nexstar 8i? Same basic mount you already have but with a bigger OTA.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:18 AM

I posted a message that was perfectly fine but edited by UBB because of word choice, (syntactical anyway). Logarithmic replacements have no sense of humor, taste, or language. ; )Sorry. I should have used the phrase "Buridan's donkey" instead. It's an interesting tale I tell in my classes, that's all, and I thought clever in this context.

Sorry. Live and learn.

I was just asking about getting a Celestron GPS 8 or the Advanced Series 8 SCT. I love Go-To from my NexStar 5, but want portability because of a shoulder replacement two years ago - can't lift a lot. yet I want to do astro-photo (i have the cameras) at some point, not too serious but still (I just like things with lenses - cameras, , -scopes, tele- and micro-). It's an old question around here I bet. :tonofbricks:

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:17 AM

You could have left the original post; we are accustomed to translating the substitutions!

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

The Nexstar 'i' series is improved over the original Nexstar 5/8's. The gearing is better and there is even a port for an autoguider. Unless you are planning some heavy duty imaging, it should do just fine.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2004 - 03:19 PM

The NexStar 8i. Yes, I have looked at it. But i have found that when you add cameras to the tube or backplate it has trouble slewing the load. On the 5 anyway, but not sure about the 8. Believe me, I love the NexStar 5 and have looked at the 8i. But it's also time to upgrade more than just the scope, I want to learn new skills as an astronomer too. an EQI mount would certainly challenge m.

BTW: With the new EQ mount on the Advanced (yes I have read the review here and the thread in these forums), if I balance it it and get it set up okay, can I then just slide the OTA off, take the mount off the tripod and then just put them back quickly if I need to (need to run out and look at something), or do I have to do the ritual all over again? I am new to EQ mounts that's for sure.

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

Theoretically, yes. As long as you don't disturb the tripod you can do that.

As to balancing the 8i, you can get something called Ray's Brackets that allow you to slide the 8" OTA forward and back for balancing. It also gives you the ability to remove the OTA from the mount and replace it with other OTA's such as your 5".

www.buyastrostuff.com

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:28 PM

I just added Bob's Knobs to my N5 and love them. I did not know about this bracket - sounds great. as I said, the optics on that N5 are superb, the slews are just crazy and run-away. I'll take a look at them. Thanks.

BTW: That N8 GPs draws me because I just love beautiful instruments and that thing is gorgeous.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Sorry,

But I was looking at those brackets. If I got one for the N5 could I mount it on the EQ mount in the advanced series? Does it work as a dovetail that is?

#10 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

No, it's a different system, doesn't use a dovetail. It's a slotted screw arrangement.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics