•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron Versa 108 ED

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone tried and tested this scope? I am looking around for an extra scope in this price range and aperture.

Max prize $2000 and aperture max 130mm.

Arne

#2 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

It is the same scope as the William Optics Megrez 110 FD. I've read several reports about this scope and the optical quality varies a lot. Be aware it is a rather fast FPL51 doublet, so it will show CA.

#3 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Ok, thanks a lot!

#4 AstroSteve

AstroSteve

Viking 1

• Loc: Kissimmee, Florida

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

What are you planning to use the scope for? Visual or imaging. And I am so sick and tired of people bashing fast F/6 FPL-51 doublets its ridiculous. Here is an image from the sister scope to that iOptron from an Orion EON 110ED same manufacturer Long Perng of Taiwan. Quality and focuser is incredible.. The Swan Nebula....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0505.JPG

Edited by AstroSteve, 01 November 2016 - 10:41 PM.

• Brollen, Bomber Bob, mikeDnight and 3 others like this

#5 AstroSteve

AstroSteve

Viking 1

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Here are a few more you make a decision these are great scopes....The Rosette Nebula 

Attached Thumbnails

• RenderedContent-D7F063E4-07F6-4092-888D-E522AD077171.JPG

Edited by AstroSteve, 01 November 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• Brollen, Bomber Bob, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#6 AstroSteve

AstroSteve

Viking 1

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:33 PM

Here is the Great Orion Nebula and what you can expect with that iOptron.

Attached Thumbnails

• RenderedContent-78350D28-95D0-49A5-ACD4-A5A65B475D6B.JPG

Edited by AstroSteve, 01 November 2016 - 10:35 PM.

• Brollen, Bomber Bob, mikeDnight and 2 others like this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:09 AM

What are you planning to use the scope for? Visual or imaging. And I am so sick and tired of people bashing fast F/6 FPL-51 doublets its ridiculous. Here is an image from the sister scope to that iOptron from an Orion EON 110ED same manufacturer Long Perng of Taiwan. Quality and focuser is incredible.. The Swan Nebula....

I have owned three FPL-51 class Doublets,  the F6 WO 66 SD,  the F/6 AT-72ED and the F/7 AT-102 ED and had friends with others including the WO 110 mm F/6 and the Orion 110 mm F/7.   To my eye,  these scopes behave as one would expect,  larger apertures show more CA,  faster focal ratios show more CA,  these scopes are not free of CA in the same way that an 80 mm F/7 FPL-53 doublet is or the NP-101 is. The CA is there to be seen on bright objects. In the AT-102ED,  when side by side wth the NP-101 on Venus,  the purple surrounding Venus was quite apparent in the AT-102ED.

Here's a review I wrote of the AT-102 ED.

http://www.cloudynig...h-at102ed-r1690

That's not bashing,  that's telling what I saw. 

If I were looking for a refractor under $2000 and upto 130 mm in aperture,  I would first look at the Astro-Tech FPL-51 triplets.   The 115 mm is $1300, the 130 mm is $1800.  There's a wait list,  no big surprise at those prices.   I would also look at the Sky Watcher 120 mm Pro which is an F/7.5 FPL-53 doublet and lighter in weight than the triplets.  The Explore Scientific 127EDT is $1500...

https://www.astronom...ctors_c573.aspx

https://www.astronom...ope_p17670.aspx

In the under $2000 market,  one can also buy used.  When I was looking for a scope larger than my NP-101, I dcided on the Orion 120 mm Eon.  It has the Sky Watcher 120 mm F/7.5 FPL-53 optics in a nicer build.   And used NP-101's are sometimes right around $2000. This is TeleVue's 4 inch F/5.4 modified Petzval,  a 4 element dual ED scope that's very well corrected for color and also corrected for field curvature.

Jon Isaacs

• Edwin and mikeDnight like this

#8 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:45 AM

My experience is the same. Had a WO ZS70 ED and that simply showed CA at magnifications above 40x. Too much for my taste, so I sold it. Every FPL51 F6 doublet will show CA, if it is too much for your taste or not is up to you. That's not bashing, that's reality.

Here is a review of the WO in German: http://www.svenwiens...megrez_110.html

Edited by Edwin, 02 November 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#9 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

I have what I'm guessing is Orion's version, the 110mm f/6 EON.  They're no longer made by Orion, but you can typically find them used in the $800 - $1,000 range, including the case.  They're very portable.  I have mine on a Skywatcher AZ-4 mount and can easily take it out to my south-facing deck in one go.  In all honesty, if I had the mechanical skills, I'd look for a duplicate 110mm f/6 EON and make a binoscope out of them.

I'll second what others have said about this scope in that 110mm f/6 FPL-51 doublet's aren't apos, but they're still way, WAY better than achromats when it comes to color correction and medium-/high-power visual work.  If you're evaluating false color where a "1" is an Orion 120mm f/5 with more purple than a Prince concert and a "10" is a Tak/AP, this is an "8".  I don't think there'd be much trouble processing any color out if you're an imager, but I say that as a strictly visual observer.  One note about this scope is that the color fringing isn't purple; it's RED.  There's no "minus-red" filter out there, but a good substitute for visual work is a cheap 1.25"-prism diagonal with BK-7 glass, like the one Celestron sells.  It introduces a little bit of overcorrection, which partially counteracts the (probably) undercorrected objective and significantly reduces the red fringing.  Even without the prism diagonal, though, I must reiterate--the scope's pretty good.

Widefield work?  Awesome.  AWESOME.  A 31T5 or a 30ES-82 means nearly a 4° FOV.  The Pleaides or the Andromeda Galaxy are jaw-dropping sights from dark skies.  The Veil Nebula and the Sagittarius Star Cloud can both be seen in their entirety.

Now I will say this--if your budget is $2,000 and widefield observing or extreme portability aren't top priorities, I'd get the AT-130.  That's a crazy-good deal at that price.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 EricR

EricR

Messenger

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

One note about this scope is that the color fringing isn't purple; it's RED.

Exactly. Had a WO 88 FD (f/5.6 doublet) for a long time (along with APOs to compare to) and now my brother-in-law has it so still look through it quite often.

Subdued red as opposed to obvious achro purple.

As all have said, personal opinion varies greatly as to whether or not it's horribly bothersome. (All that is said from a strictly visual perspective)

#11 AstroSteve

AstroSteve

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

I too have a red fringe on visual. I wonder what makes the spectrum with the EON 110ED dip to the red side instead of the more apparent purple side of things. I would love for someone to explain that one to me.

#12 gdd

gdd

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

I have a lens that produces red haloes. I suspect it is because it is optimized for the green-blue focus rather than for the red-green.

Gale

#13 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

I'll second what others have said about this scope in that 110mm f/6 FPL-51 doublet's aren't apos, but they're still way, WAY better than achromats when it comes to color correction and medium-/high-power visual work.  

I'll third this view. I purchased a used iOptron Versa 108mm and actually don't experience much CA with it - this is to my eyes. But I have directly compared views of Mars and Sirius, Vega and other bright stars against my FPL-53 AT80LE (fabulous scope), and it compares well with minimal CA on these objects. The Versa goes much deeper in the night sky compared to the AT80LE - to be expected.

As stated, clearly this scope is not an APO. It does not suck up gobs of magnification - in my home LP viewing I typically do not go above 150-160x ... if I want high power I turn to my Maks or SCT. But as a wide-field scope and for medium to medium-high power views it is really nice. It works very well with my ES 68* 20mm EP on down the line to my ES 4.7mm and my favorite EP in it is my Meade 5000 UWA 14mm to scan the heavens. Really nice on star clusters. 

It is extremely well built, a bit heavy and beautiful to look at. The focuser is very smooth and accurate and it holds my heavy Antares 2" diagonal and 2" EPs without slipping and no tightening on the focus bolt.

I have just started a conversation with iOptron concerning having them go over the scope - adjust/recollimate the cell and just check it out. iOptron does offer this service and I hope to ship it off to them soon. Though I feel it is well collimated I still want to have this servicing done to see if they can squeeze out any visual improvements and to keep this beautiful scope in top shape.

One other thing, the labeling on the scope versus iOptron literature is confusing on focal length. The scope is labeled at 660mm, but the iOptron manual says 648mm. Additionally it would seem that the objective size is closer to 110mm rather than 108mm per the following comparo: http://www.astroshri...-versa-108.html

In summary I think it is a very good scope as it gives me quality wide-field and medium to medium-high power views with nice size glass in a smallish form factor. And it is a **** pretty scope...

Clear skies!

• aneeg likes this

#14 View2

View2

Vanguard

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

At that price, why not an APO? The ES127APO ED triplet is in your range.
  • Jon Isaacs and mikeDnight like this

#15 Marcsabb

Marcsabb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:03 AM

Talking about Long Perng's fast EDs, does anybody know if this manufacturer is also offering FPL-53 as an option?

This Omegon scope  http://www.omegon.eu...bon-ota/p,21266 looks identical to this one http://www.longperng.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=19 

But Long Perng product page says this ED refractor employs FPL-51 glass while Omegon claims it's using FPL-53 (and NBM51 for mating, no less).

It looks odd to me that a retailer can ask for such an important customization to an OEM. 

#16 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for valuable answers. I feel a bit unsure if I shall buy a premium apo under 100mm or go up to
120-130 ED.
I will mount this side-by-side with my ETX-105 on the AZ Mount Pro. Total weight will decide.

Arne

#17 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

To report back on this slumbering topic :) I had sent my used iOptron Versa 108 to iOptron support in Woburn Massachusetts. The iOptron support and tech folks are very helpful and responsive - still answering occasional questions I may have.

The servicing/adjustment of the OTA was $50 plus $25 shipping - not bad at all. The turn around was in about 2 weeks - also very nice. Again, I am very pleased with the service from iOptron on my scope. 

Their report had the following:

• The alignment was performed using customer’s 2” diagonal (and also tested with our own 2” diagonal), a 2mm ~4mm TV Nagler Zoom Lens at 2mm (the OTA has a  660mm fl.)
  • For collimation, an Astrozap Artificial Star is used, at 25 meters away
  • The incoming OTA has slightly off-collimation.
  • For resolution test, the testing target is NBS 1963A Resolution Test Targets, at 25 meters away
  • After collimation and adjustment, the resolution has been improved from 4.0 to 5.0, which is on par with our in stock Versa OTAs.

From his summary, the OTA was tested in house at 330X (660/2) and no issue to recognize the Artificial Star and NBS 1963A Resolution Test Targets at 25m distance (our standard test protocol). The OTA reached resolution 5.0, which belongs to high end club.

Unfortunately since receiving the scope I have only been able to get it out once - for a fair amount of time but I don't think it had sufficient time to cool down prior to observing - it was a very cold night. But I did notice that star images were tighter. I hope to check soon if there is an improvement at the top end - higher magnification. Hopefully the return shipping was gentle and kept things in check.

Again, I am very pleased with the service from iOptron on my scope. I was a bit apprehensive on shipping it off. If you do purchase an iOptron you will find their service to be professional and courteous. I would be inclined to get another based on this experience ... maybe that pretty white matching 6" Mak Cass ... argh, must resist!

Clear skies!

Edited by Brollen, 07 December 2016 - 04:54 PM.

• Phillip Creed and gene 4181 like this

#18 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

I had the WO version, with all black focuser. It was my first premium refractor. I agree with the comments here about the APOness of this scope - as Phillup said; it's an 8 where a Tak is a 10 and the achro is a 1. Mine was excellent, but did show the red fringing around bright objects. The fit & finish was fantastic. I traded up to a WO M120.

#19 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

To report back on this slumbering topic :) I had sent my used iOptron Versa 108 to iOptron support in Woburn Massachusetts. The iOptron support and tech folks are very helpful and responsive - still answering occasional questions I may have.

The servicing/adjustment of the OTA was $50 plus $25 shipping - not bad at all. The turn around was in about 2 weeks - also very nice. Again, I am very pleased with the service from iOptron on my scope. 

Their report had the following:

• The alignment was performed using customer’s 2” diagonal (and also tested with our own 2” diagonal), a 2mm ~4mm TV Nagler Zoom Lens at 2mm (the OTA has a  660mm fl.)
  • For collimation, an Astrozap Artificial Star is used, at 25 meters away
  • The incoming OTA has slightly off-collimation.
  • For resolution test, the testing target is NBS 1963A Resolution Test Targets, at 25 meters away
  • After collimation and adjustment, the resolution has been improved from 4.0 to 5.0, which is on par with our in stock Versa OTAs.

From his summary, the OTA was tested in house at 330X (660/2) and no issue to recognize the Artificial Star and NBS 1963A Resolution Test Targets at 25m distance (our standard test protocol). The OTA reached resolution 5.0, which belongs to high end club.

Unfortunately since receiving the scope I have only been able to get it out once - for a fair amount of time but I don't think it had sufficient time to cool down prior to observing - it was a very cold night. But I did notice that star images were tighter. I hope to check soon if there is an improvement at the top end - higher magnification. Hopefully the return shipping was gentle and kept things in check.

Again, I am very pleased with the service from iOptron on my scope. I was a bit apprehensive on shipping it off. If you do purchase an iOptron you will find their service to be professional and courteous. I would be inclined to get another based on this experience ... maybe that pretty white matching 6" Mak Cass ... argh, must resist!

Clear skies!

Brollen,

WOW.  I wonder if they would have serviced my Orion, since it's essentially the same scope.  You got a GREAT deal; I'm shocked it's only $75 with shipping.

It's not a task for the faint of heart.  I ended up doing the same thing to my 110mm f/6 Orion cranked to 360X with an artificial star.  The four "collimation" screws are really there to secure and center the lens, but they also control the tilt.  The process is conceptually simple, but EXTREMELY sensitive, grueling and nerve-wracking.  Kind of like pulling a splinter from a polar bear.

You'll still get that slight reddish tinge around the brightest stars or Jupiter, but depending on the degree of miscollimation you had prior to sending it out, you might notice the fringe is now symmetrical and more subdued.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#20 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Phil - I remember reading your account of collimating your Orion with great interest. I really didn't have the desire to try it myself on my Versa but that prompted me to reach out to iOptron. I'm glad it did not end up costing an arm & leg.

I had it out last night, letting it cool for approximately 1+ hours. But by the time I went out to observe, it had clouded up pretty well and the winds had kicked up a bit. Even so, I got quick views of the Altair, Vega, the Double Double and Albireo and some of the background stars in this part of the sky. The high power views are better than before - last night I was using my ES 82* 4.7mm EP and unfortunately did not get out my Vixen 3.5mm. With the 4.7mm the views looked very good - both Albireo and the Double Double.

Maybe iOptron would work on your Orion if you feel it still needs work. But as I recall, it seemed you got your scope well collimated too! You're right about the wide field views with these scopes - simply awesome.

Clear skies!

#21 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Maybe iOptron would work on your Orion if you feel it still needs work. But as I recall, it seemed you got your scope well collimated too! You're right about the wide field views with these scopes - simply awesome.

Once I realized how grueling the process was, it got...personal, so I figured I'd just suffer through it once and get it dialed in as much as possible.  I'm sure there's a very long, consonant-rich, throat-clearing German word out there that translates to, "taking out one's frustrations on something by trying to perfect it."

I'm hoping iOptron would do that for my Orion if it were ever necessary in the future.  I know I wouldn't want to do that again.  I'd rather eat a bag of hard sourdough pretzels after a tonsillectomy.

Clear Skies,

Phil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics