•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So what's your "Game Plan" for the Solar Eclipse 2017?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
245 replies to this topic

#226 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

So with site options pretty well ironed out, I turn back to considering which gear I'll take both for the eclipse and for night time observing on the way up or back.

I just ordered a pack of 25 cardboard and film eclipse glasses, for myself and others who show up at the same spot with me.

I also ordered some solar filters for my 7x50 binoculars, which will see both eclipse and night duty on the trip.  For both the eclipse and and night use the binoculars will be mounted on a parallelogram mount.  I'll also have a PST double stack in single mode set up on an alt-az mount for before, and after peeks if anyone wants.  That's really it for the eclipse itself, I think - two tripods, two mount heads and two instruments.  Though a 4" refractor with a solar wedge on its own alt-az mount is an option too, but I am leaning towards "less is more" thinking I'll probably be inclined to enjoy the eclipse naked eye and with the binoculars, both filtered and unfiltered.

For night sky observing I am leaning toward also keeping it simple - beefy, quiet alt-az mount with big, affordable, "richest field" 6" achromat and a only a couple of eyepieces (low power wide field well-corrected and medium-low power wide field well-corrected), and an OIII and UHC filter.  Summer seems to revel in panoramic targets.

That'll also keep my cargo space ample no matter which vehicle I take.  Still leaning truck, but car would be oh-so-much cushier.  But in either case, set up and take-down would be minimal, which matters on the return trip since practically speaking I won't be leaving the eclipse site until around noon, after end of partial and loading up all of the stuff, and will be looking at a long drive home (or to a campground or hotel nearer to home) from the eclipse viewing site.

- Jim  

#227 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

Visiting a friend in Portland TN with my Coronado.

#228 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

My 25x100 binos are really just a bit much for my parallelogram mount so I'm planning on getting a nice beefy L-bracket and mount them on the AZ-8 along with my SW 150 Mak for night time use.

#229 FarmerWhite

FarmerWhite

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

Farmer White,

You should get solar filters for your 15 x 70 binoculars and or a short focal length smallish refractor with a filter.

Lake Murray might catch a better brake from clouds than other "land" areas in the state.

I plan on being on the coast just outside of Charleston with my trusty 70mm TV Pronto and white light solar filter.

Best of luck!

Would it be worth while to get solar filters for a set of 15x70 binoculars?  I have no idea what looking at the sun through them would be like but if they would be useful to look at the sun beyond the solar eclipse then I might just grab a set of filters for them.

#230 Exo

Exo

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:45 PM

Yes, 15x70 binoculars with solar filters is a good way to view the eclipse.

You will probably need a tripod... or some type of piggyback or side-by-side adapter on a mount, if you are also running a telescope or imaging setup.

Edited by Exo, 17 April 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#231 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

I made my own solar filters for my big binos out of a 12" square sheet of solar film and pieces of a stove pipe I had. Total cost about $20. I had enough film left over to make filters for my 10x50's too!

#232 musicengin

musicengin

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

I won't be aiming for traveling to the totality, but I will be outside watching the shapes of pinhole sun images through the pine and oak trees show me the progress of the eclipse.  I'll be getting about 65% from my front yard.  This time I'll take pictures.

A long time ago when I was paying no attention to things astronomical, I was very puzzled one day, to notice that all the pinhole dots of sunlight all over my front yard were crescent shaped. 

I'm not sure how long it took me to realize what that was about -- several days, anyways, if not months or years.  But it made a strong impression. It was very beautiful, in a quiet and unspectacular way.

#233 tyocham01

tyocham01

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

I won't be aiming for traveling to the totality, but I will be outside watching the shapes of pinhole sun images through the pine and oak trees show me the progress of the eclipse.  I'll be getting about 65% from my front yard.  This time I'll take pictures.

A long time ago when I was paying no attention to things astronomical, I was very puzzled one day, to notice that all the pinhole dots of sunlight all over my front yard were crescent shaped. 

I'm not sure how long it took me to realize what that was about -- several days, anyways, if not months or years.  But it made a strong impression. It was very beautiful, in a quiet and unspectacular way.

I honestly don't remember how old I was, or what year, but I *believe* it was the 1994 annular eclipse... Anyway, after working part of the day in the field (my family are farmers, I was driving a tractor), we were moving to a new field and stopped in at the filling station to grab a soda pop.  When I got out of the tractor I was freaked out because everything still looked as tented as the windows on the tractor... The owner of the station handed me a welding mask and told me to look at the sun...  freaky stuff when you're not expecting it.  it actually got dusky dark in north central Oklahoma,  dark enough the shadows mellowed out like they do on an lightly overcast day...  A couple of the more sensitive street lights even turned on...

-Tobin

#234 sickfish

sickfish

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

I made my first major investment in the solar eclipse.

$15.00 piece of Baader solar film.

Now I am done and ready.

Not traveling for this, to much depends on weather and I never count on weather cooperating.

Will stay home and look through the st80.

Hope everything works out for the people that are investing time and money.

#235 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Since it's a new moon weekend (imagine that) I'd be traveling to a campout anyway. It is twice as far as I'd usually go but I consider it worthwhile. Since I was able to reserve a spot a year ahead (before the "rush") the cost was no more than I would usually spend. I do realize that the travel time and distance is much greater for some. I just chose the closest spot with decent observing parameters and will keep my fingers crossed for good weather!

#236 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Flying to my brother's place in Nashville. Psyched!

STARKID2U

#237 Stacyjo1962

Stacyjo1962

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Our plans for the eclipse are slowly fading...niece's wedding in July will take a huge chunk of dough out of our slush fund and with hubster getting back to where he was before getting ill, the project schedule has to be met.  There may be a reprieve if a friend of our's (who has graciously said she'd pay for the trip so her grandson can see it), gets to making reservations (no camping or "roughing it" - though she did indicate a luxury camper is an option)...however, since I've been alerting her to the lack of RV's available, hotels are booked, etc., she's not made a decision - thus it most likely won't happen (I'd be me only, not the hubster, going with her and grandson and his friends).

I've seen a total solar eclipse - one of my best life memories...and there will be another one across the US in 2024...which will go across Texas, which is where we will be living...so there is a silver lining, albiet 7 years off...

So to those of you who have never seen a TSE, getting ready for an awesome experience!

#238 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Soyuz

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

I honestly don't remember how old I was, or what year, but I *believe* it was the 1994 annular eclipse... Anyway, after working part of the day in the field (my family are farmers, I was driving a tractor), we were moving to a new field and stopped in at the filling station to grab a soda pop.  When I got out of the tractor I was freaked out because everything still looked as tented as the windows on the tractor... The owner of the station handed me a welding mask and told me to look at the sun...  freaky stuff when you're not expecting it.  it actually got dusky dark in north central Oklahoma,  dark enough the shadows mellowed out like they do on an lightly overcast day...  A couple of the more sensitive street lights even turned on...

-Tobin

Tobin,

That was the annular eclipse of May 10, 1994.  The path of annularity went through a large portion of Oklahoma.  89% of the sun was covered up at the peak of the eclipse.

https://eclipse.gsfc...y10Agoogle.html

Clear Skies,

Phil

#239 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

And look at what that welding mask did for you....

#240 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Our plans for the eclipse are slowly fading...niece's wedding in July will take a huge chunk of dough out of our slush fund and with hubster getting back to where he was before getting ill, the project schedule has to be met.  There may be a reprieve if a friend of our's (who has graciously said she'd pay for the trip so her grandson can see it), gets to making reservations (no camping or "roughing it" - though she did indicate a luxury camper is an option)...however, since I've been alerting her to the lack of RV's available, hotels are booked, etc., she's not made a decision - thus it most likely won't happen (I'd be me only, not the hubster, going with her and grandson and his friends).

I've seen a total solar eclipse - one of my best life memories...and there will be another one across the US in 2024...which will go across Texas, which is where we will be living...so there is a silver lining, albiet 7 years off...

So to those of you who have never seen a TSE, getting ready for an awesome experience

All the planning for 2017 is complete and I've started planning for 2024 but the April weather in Texas, as is most of the US, is very unpredictable making planning MUCH harder. 

#241 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

So with site options pretty well ironed out, I turn back to considering which gear I'll take both for the eclipse and for night time observing on the way up or back.

I just ordered a pack of 25 cardboard and film eclipse glasses, for myself and others who show up at the same spot with me.

I also ordered some solar filters for my 7x50 binoculars, which will see both eclipse and night duty on the trip.  For both the eclipse and and night use the binoculars will be mounted on a parallelogram mount.  I'll also have a PST double stack in single mode set up on an alt-az mount for before, and after peeks if anyone wants.  That's really it for the eclipse itself, I think - two tripods, two mount heads and two instruments.  Though a 4" refractor with a solar wedge on its own alt-az mount is an option too, but I am leaning towards "less is more" thinking I'll probably be inclined to enjoy the eclipse naked eye and with the binoculars, both filtered and unfiltered.

For night sky observing I am leaning toward also keeping it simple - beefy, quiet alt-az mount with big, affordable, "richest field" 6" achromat and a only a couple of eyepieces (low power wide field well-corrected and medium-low power wide field well-corrected), and an OIII and UHC filter.  Summer seems to revel in panoramic targets.

That'll also keep my cargo space ample no matter which vehicle I take.  Still leaning truck, but car would be oh-so-much cushier.  But in either case, set up and take-down would be minimal, which matters on the return trip since practically speaking I won't be leaving the eclipse site until around noon, after end of partial and loading up all of the stuff, and will be looking at a long drive home (or to a campground or hotel nearer to home) from the eclipse viewing site.

- Jim  

That's a lot of "stuff"! I guess I'll watch it progress in white light in my 80ED and Ha my PST. Off goes the filter in the 80mm and 10x40 bino's for the wider view. Probably will take some pic's of totality, but don't want to spend too much time with my head in the camera. With 2:35 min. it goes by quick.

#242 REC

REC

Voyager 1

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

How about this for totality. Meade 9x63 bino on a table looking up....nice and steady image!

Bino Tray.jpg

Edited by REC, 24 April 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#243 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

How about this for totality. Meade 9x63 bino on a table looking up....nice and steady image!

Spoiler

That's... THAT'S CHEATING!!

Brilliant!

grnbrg.

#244 Nile

Nile

Messenger

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

- Jim  

I am also debating what to take.

I also ordered 10 of goggles for the guys coming with me.

I am mostly taking my 5" SCT. I need to make some filters for my binocs too, so I can take that as well. 

#245 groverro

groverro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

I'm heading to St Joseph, Missouri for the Eclipse. I booked accommodation back in January and really hoping the weather is good! Hopefully others are there too!

#246 Philipp

Philipp

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Philipp, I'll be arriving at Madras SolarFest on either the 18th or 19th. Are you camping at the SolarTown site? If so, it would be nice to meet you (and other CN members) while there. I will probably bring a 60mm Ha scope for daytime and a 12" LX200 for some nighttime observing. We're headed for Yellowstone afterwards.

I've spent quite a few days backpacking and trout fishing in the Olympics. Just beautiful up there. Hope you enjoy your visit. 

Cheers!

-Glenn

Hi,

we will arrive on the 19th as our plane lands late in the day on the 18th at Seatac.

Looking Forward to meet you!

cheers,

Philipp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics