•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source of Bright Star Reflections?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Onalaska, TX

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

I have been pretty happy with my setup for deep sky objects:

Orion EON 130mm ED Triplet Refractor / Orion EON 3" field flattener / ZWO Mini EFW with Astrodon Filters / ASI1600MM-Cool Camera

But for very bright stars, I always see a distinct symmetric pattern around them.  Attached is an example, cropped of a Pleiades star from a 5 second blue filter sub.  Of course, the pattern is much more obvious in the integrated master.

What is your view on what is causing this?  I assume it is the CMOS window or the flattener.

Is there any way to prevent it (aside from not imaging bright stars)?

Thanks,

Gary 

Attached Thumbnails

• pleiades_5s_bluesub_.jpg

Edited by Gary Imm, 07 November 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#2 nikao

nikao

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

doesn't look like reflection, but more something like blooming? 
I'm not familiar with this camera, so not sure if it is a known 'problem' of it? 

#3 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

Just to add - my camera settings are typically 200 gain, 35 offset, and 40 USB.  For this camera, that gain is a bit higher than the unity setting of 139. 

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

Rotate the camera and see if the pattern rotates with it. I expect it will. I suspect reflections/diffraction from the sensor, a little like a diffraction grating. Is there anything else in the system with that symmetry?

Edited by happylimpet, 07 November 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

I think that's a combination of diffraction (perhaps from the lens spacers) and also artifacts from the micro lenses on the sensor's photo sites.

#6 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

A few more points:

- This pattern is usually only apparent in the final integrated master when a bright star saturates an area which is more than 10 pixels by pixels wide in the sub.   Smaller than that, and the pattern does not appear.

- When it occurs, the pattern seems to always be aligned with the CMOS dimensions, with the four main spikes being oriented exactly up/down/right/left on the image.

#7 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

A few more points:

- This pattern is usually only apparent in the final integrated master when a bright star saturates an area which is more than 10 pixels by pixels wide in the sub.   Smaller than that, and the pattern does not appear.

- When it occurs, the pattern seems to always be aligned with the CMOS dimensions, with the four main spikes being oriented exactly up/down/right/left on the image.

So I would guess its a reflected diffraction effect from the CMOS, being reflected back by some optical element close to the chip. Maybe a filter. You could jig things around if possible but probably hard to eliminate.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics