•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Refractors You Have Used

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

This thread is intended to provide everyone with the opportunity to share what you used (whether you own it or just looked through someone else's scope), the target, and your impressions of the top performing refractors you have had the opportunity to use.

A few of the best I have used in no particular order:

AP Starfire 155 (not my scope) - used at the Deep South Regional Star Gaze (DSRSG).  The target was Mars and it produced a beautiful view of the red planet.

TEC 140 (not my scope) - used at the Deep South Regional Star Gaze (DSRSG).  The target was Mars and it produced a beautiful view of the red planet.

TMB130SS (mine) - outstanding optics.  The 4" focuser needed a minor adjustment when I received the scope, but it is perfect now.  My largest refractor currently and I don't see myself going larger unless I hit the lottery.

SV102V 102mm f/7.8 LOMO optics  (mine) - Outstanding optics - Venus is clean and sharp.  JMI focuser is excellent with a distinctly different feel from either Moonlite or Feathertouch focusers.

TV NP101 (not my scope) - owned by a friend and I was able to run it side by side with a Tak FS102 to help him decide which one to keep.  One of the best views of the DC I have ever had in a 31mm Nagler.

Tak FS102 (not my scope) - owned by a friend and I was able to run it side by side with a TV NP101 to help him decide which one to keep.  Very sharp optics. 

*** NOTE ***  Having the opportunity to use the TV NP101 side by side with the Tak FS102 many years ago was the biggest influence towards hooking me on high quality refractors. 

• Daniel Mounsey, Chris G, Scott in NC and 7 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

SVR90T (Raptor)

TEC 140 (not mine)

APM 130 F6 (LZOS)

AT111EDT (awseome color correction)

Meade 152ED (stunning on Planets).

Mike

• Scott Beith, MarkGregory and Gabby76 like this

#3 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

Honestly, I have enjoyed the views through every refractor that I have ever looked through! But, the best of the best:

A-P 130 f/8.35 (Mine)

TEC 160FL (Not mine)

APM 130 f/9.25 (Not mine)

TMB 100/800 (Mine)

Takahashi FS102 (Mine)

Takahashi FS128 (Mine)

Apomax 130 f/12 (Not mine, but I wish it had been!)

Looking back over the years, I have to wonder what I was thinking in some of my sales.

• Scott Beith, Chris G and Paul Morow like this

#4 Lauriep

Lauriep

In Memoriam

• -----
  • In Memoriam
  • Loc: Sydney Australia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

Starfire 6" f9 EDT (mine)-wish I had never sold it, but I guess I am too old and decrepit to  handle it any more

Tak FC-100DF (mine)-my current scope, and absolutely superb

• Scott Beith, jrbarnett, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#5 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hmmm.  I've never cataloged all the refractors, but here's a shot.  Also don't know if I want to go so far as to say what is best or not, suffice it to say that when used properly and within appropriate operating parameters for the objective design, they performed quite up to expectations.  My favs have asterisks.  Blue ones I owned/own.

20" Clark Achro*

12" Clark Achro*

8" D&G Achro*

155 AP Starfire Apo

152 Lunt Apo*

152 Antares Achro*

140 TEC Apo

130 SV Triplet Apo

128 Tak FS Apo

5" D&G Achro*

102 TSA*

101 TV NP

100 Tak FC DL

100 SW Pro Apo

90 SV Triplet Apo

81s Vixen Apo*

80ss Vixen Achro

80 TMB Planet Hunter Enhanced Achro*

80 Celestron Onyx Apo*

80 Celestron SS Achro Spotter

65 Pentax ED Spotter

60 Skylight f/16.7 Achro

60 Sears Achro (Towa)

Edited by BillP, 08 November 2016 - 03:25 PM.

• Scott Beith, AndresEsteban, Gabby76 and 1 other like this

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yup.   Here are a few of mine:

TEC-140             (mine)

APM 130/1200   (mine)

FS-102           (mine)

TOA130          (mine)

• Scott Beith, BRCoz, jrbarnett and 1 other like this

#7 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hmmm.  I've never cataloged all the refractors, but here's a shot.  Also don't know if I want to go so far as to say what is best or not, suffice it to say that when used properly and within appropriate operating parameters for the objective design, they performed quite up to expectations.  My favs have asterisks.  Blue ones I owned/own.

20" Clark Achro*

12" Clark Achro*

8" D&G Achro*

155 AP Starfire Apo

152 Lunt Apo*

152 Antares Achro*

140 TEC Apo

130 SV Triplet Apo

128 Tak FS Apo

5" D&G Achro*

102 TSA*

101 TV NP

100 Tak FC DL

100 SW Pro Apo

90 SV Triplet Apo

81s Vixen Apo*

80ss Vixen Achro

80 TMB Planet Hunter Enhanced Achro*

80 Celestron Onyx Apo*

80 Celestron SS Achro Spotter

65 Pentax ED Spotter

60 Skylight f/16.7 Achro

60 Sears Achro (Towa)

Man you have logged some EP time!  :bow:

• t.r. likes this

#8 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hands down, best one I've used is Dave Jessie's TEC-140.  Doesn't matter what object or observing site is chosen; it just knocks your socks off.  

Close second is a kinda/sorta apo, a 6" f/8 Astrophysics triplet from the 1980s in our club's observatory.  There's just a tiny fringe of false color around planets, but otherwise the objective is about as close to perfect as possible.

Clear Skies,
Phil

• Scott Beith and Paul Morow like this

#9 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Honestly, I have enjoyed the views through every refractor that I have ever looked through! But, the best of the best:

A-P 130 f/8.35 (Mine)

TEC 160FL (Not mine)

APM 130 f/9.25 (Not mine)

TMB 100/800 (Mine)

Takahashi FS102 (Mine)

Takahashi FS128 (Mine)

Apomax 130 f/12 (Not mine, but I wish it had been!)

Looking back over the years, I have to wonder what I was thinking in some of my sales.

I would love the opportunity to use the Apomax 130 f/12.  :waytogo:

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#10 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

My experience with top refractors is limited.

In 80mm class, this is my oil doublet 82/1670mm made with short flint. It definitely shows hard to notice planetary features with more authority than my other 80mm lenses - either former (Lomo 80/480mm triplet) or still in possession (AS80/1200).

In the 4" class, this is Baader 95/560mm oil triplet fluorite which I had for several months at home in exchange for the 82/1670 doublet and which I returned last week. Crystal clear performance on planets. I especially appreciated its thermal properties as most of my backyard planetary sessions are typically during cold nights and made on short notice.

• Scott Beith, Paul Morow, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#11 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Me too! A few I've had the pleasure of using, simply biggest to smallest as we all know aperture rules :p ...

AP 175 EDF, owned by LLEGEE of CN, Saturn and a couple of DSO's were pretty fantastic in such a large refractor aperture.

TEC 180 FL, owned by LLEGEE, Jupiter and Comet Garradd and M92...the contrast was stunning that night!

Meade 178 ED, owned by, yep, you guessed it, LLEGEE, multiple targets viewed over several observing sessions, Jupiter and Trapezium E & F stand out. Not as good contrast as the above due to residual CA, but still a fine performer without exotic glass.

AP 6" F8 Starfire, owned by Joe Bergeron, Saturn and DSO's were on the menu next to my little TV Genesis...WOW Saturn's clouds were impressive in the bigger AP!

AP 140 EDF, owned by me but was LLEGEE's, every time I use this scope I'm reminded of why I paid the money for it!

Tec140, owned by me, perhaps the best bang for the buck apo available!

AP 130 EDF, owned by me, on "the list" for 9 years and 10 months, multiple targets for about 8 years until getting the 140!

AP Star 12ED, owned by me, shows me what an older doublet is really capable of...amazing!

TV Genesis, owned by me, for thirteen years it showed me what a small 4" apo could do and sold me on them forever! :bow:  

TMB 92L, owned by me, the Astronomics version of the AP Stowaway!!! :waytogo:

TAK Sky 90, owned by me, a travel apo if there ever was one, residual CA and all!

WO Megrez 90, owned by me, a nice affordable taste of what a Sky 90 is like, but not quite as good.

C80ED, owned by me, a spotting scope my arse!?! This cheap little gem rocked it on Mars and Saturn at well over 200X! :rockon:

C80SS, owned by me, always reminds me what a short achro can do, a travel achromat if there ever was one, we have bagged many targets around the globe this little predecessor to the ST 80 and I.

Jason 313 60mm, owned by me, my early Towa classic, lunched me on  my way to "serious observing" with an equatorial mount to find DSO's. Thanks Dad. :salute:

Focal 40mm spotting scope, owned by me, my first telescope and all my firsts logged with it. Thanks Mom!!! :love:

Edited by t.r., 08 November 2016 - 08:16 PM.

• Scott Beith, Doug Culbertson, Sasa and 3 others like this

#12 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

In order:

Vixen FL102 F9. Stunning views of Saturn and Jupiter. Though not mine, this was the scope that changed my life! I desperately wanted one but after I'd saved enough money, I found that the UK importer was going to take months to deliver, and I couldn't wait!

Takahashi FS128. This was my first fluorite apo and it was incredible. With this scope i studied Mars in 2003, eventually completing a cylindrical grid map of the planet and learning a great deal along the way. 

Takahashi FS152. This took the place of my FS128. It's advantage lay in its greater light grasp. DSO's were spectacular but I used this scope the least. The heftier scope required a more solid mount and set-up became a chore, or rather, carting the thing back in after a long observing session when the tube was caked in ice, and i was tired and frozen to the bone. It kind of stifled my joy a little!

TV101. I thought I'd try the opposite extreme and go fore a more portable grab and go scope, after all, it was a 102mm apo that started my love affair with apochromats. The 101 was certainly easy to use and possibly the finest RFT in existence. DSO's glided effortlessly into the field of view and i almost fell in love with it. However, it wasn't too hot on the planet's and gave a warmer view than any of my fluorite refractors. Though I did make many excellent planetary sketches using this scope, i felt I had to work hard to pluck out the fine detail, and as I'm primarily interested in the moon and planets, i let the 101 go.

Equinox 120ED. This was a impressive performer and very close to my Takahashi's in both clarity and performance. I really did love this scope as it was easy to mount, as well as to use as a grab and go.

Equinox 80 ED. This little baby was an eye opener. I would often go out for just a five minute look at the moon and would find myself still sat at the eyepiece over an hour later. It packed a real punch for such a tiny scope! And, to my astonishment, it would often give a better view of Jupiter than the 120ED. Where the 120 revealed two or three belts the 80 revealed five, along with the GRS, festoons and shadow transits. The only problem was its limited power which meant a relatively small image scale, but with a binoviewer it was a delight to use.

Takahashi FC100DC. After learning that Tak had returned to fluorite, i couldn't help but take the plunge and buy one. It was the best move I've ever made! This scope is tiny compared to my other Taks and so is very easy to use, its a delight. My first view through the FC100DC proved I'd made the right decision. The night was poor but Jupiter was utterly heart stopping. Festoons, garlands, white ovals and the GRS displaying its vortex nature were easily seen and the detail almost jumped out of the planet in vibrant 3D. The night's that followed proved beyond any doubt this telescopes pedigree. With an extender Q attached I had a scope of F11.8 and a highest power of X474 with a 2.5mm lanthanum eyepiece At that power Venus was razor sharp and utterly free of CA. Viewing the moon using my binoviewer I followed the finest rilles as they crisscrossed the surface, joining and dividing as they go. My stomach rolled as I glided over the edge of the sheer cliff face appenines. When Mars became visible here in the UK early in the year I began my obsessive study of it. Despite being ridiculously low, the little FC delivered wonderfully detailed views and i made sketches of every aspect of the planet. A second map of Mars is now in the making and the FC100DC even revealed features not seen in the FS128 when mars was at its best, showing just how great this little refractor is. I doubt I'll ever part with this incredible little gem!

Mike  :)  :)  :)

• Scott Beith, John Huntley, Erik Bakker and 7 others like this

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Tak FS102 NSV: a joy on anything within it's reach   :bow:

Clark 266 f/16: Mars at the formidable 1990 opposition   :bow:

Modern and classic refractor-bliss   :angel:

• Scott Beith and mikeDnight like this

#14 walt99

walt99

Viking 1

• Loc: Mount Aerial, Kentucky

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

Celestron C80  F11.4

My first refractor.  Tak sharp and insignificant color.  On a good night it shows DSO's surprisingly well.

TSA 102 

A great scope that induced aperture fever.

TOA 130

With a 5mm SMC on a great night it showed an incredible pallet of pastel color on Jupiter, but never again.  Too heavy, so I got a :

FS 102

Not enough aperture.  My Telescopics 6" F5 Newtonian beat it.

Celestron Onyx 80 Apo

Succumbed to the short tube fever.   Mushy optics.  Cute, though.

FS 128

First time I saw color on Saturn.   Astonishing contrast.  With a 9mm  SMC the core of M42 was three dimensional,  like a tunnel.  I could see how gas was lit from behind by hidden stars.  Grey-blue and green color.  I have never seen an astrophoto of M42 that impressed me as much as this viiew.

Fairly light and manageable.  At age 73,  I will never need a better scope.

Happy skies,  Walt

• Scott Beith, Paul Morow and mikeDnight like this

#15 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

AP f/7 Stowaway (Own)

AP 160 Starfire

Tak FS 152

Tak FS 128

Tak FS 78

TV NP 101

Hoping to get a TEC 140 soon.  :grin:

Edited by ckwastro, 08 November 2016 - 04:11 PM.

• Scott Beith, SkyRanger and mikeDnight like this

#16 bobhen

bobhen

Soyuz

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

Best Refractors that I have owned…

1989 Astro-Physics Pre ED glass 152 F9 Refractor: This scope showed me (a previous SCT owner) what a quality refractor could deliver.

1997 Astro-Physics 155 F7 EDFS: A remarkably short and portable 6-inch refractor with fantastic optics.

Tak TSA 120: Extraordinary telescope – Period.

SV 105 F6.25 (LZOS optics) Great LZOS Russian lens: A Traveler substitute.

University Optics 80mm F6.25 Achromatic Kit Refractor: Fantastic Japanese lens in this scope.

Special mention to my 102mm F9.8 Celestron GT Achromat. A very nice lens, not in the same league as with the above, but for only $59 for the OTA it is the best bang-for-the-buck/buy I ever had in astronomy – by far.

I still own the Tak TSA 120 and the Celestron GT. I downsized last year (getting old sucks) and sold the AP scopes. I sold the UO 80mm for more aperture but still miss that one.

Bob

• Scott Beith, Paul Morow and mikeDnight like this

#17 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Refractors I've owned include:
Celestron C80ED
Synta 100ED
Meade 102ED
Vixen ED81S
SV 80ED
SV110ED
Astro-Tech 102ED
102 f11 achro
Meade AR5
Several ST80s

None were bad but the two that stand out are the Vixen ED81S and the Meade 102ED. Both excellent scopes.
  • Scott Beith likes this

#18 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

The most impressive refractors I have used:

Thomas Grubb 9" F15 (built in 1888) 'Oddie' Refractor (Gift of James Oddie, installed at Mt Stromlo Observatory, refractor destroyed by wildfires in 2003)

Takahashi TOA150B  (belongs to TheFacelessMen)

and a few of my own:

Takahashi TOA130NFB - quite simply superb in every way

Takahashi FS128 - gives such beautiful star colours

Takahashi TSA120 - rival the TOAs for image purity

Takahashi TSA102S - best 4" I have ever viewed through

Takahashi FC100DL - almost as good as the TSA102S

Takahashi FS102 - almost as good as the FC100DL, still better than many competitors' triplets.....

Edited by Kunama, 08 November 2016 - 05:07 PM.

• Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#19 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:17 PM

The best so far: TS Photoline APO 115mm f7; with reducer/corrector f5.5.  Excellent imaging scope with a great focuser.

• Scott Beith likes this

#20 Markab

Markab

Viking 1

• Loc: Space Coast USA

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:23 PM

AP Traveler.

Incredibly well-built, portable, negligible false color, outstanding looks, and the satisfaction that comes from owning a truly legendary scope.

• Paul G, Scott Beith, Erik Bakker and 5 others like this

#21 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

TV85 - great size for a travel scope, has optics that exceeded what I was expecting.

NP101is - the wide, flat field king.

TOA130NS - my favourite scope I have owned. Angels are sometimes heard softly singing while I soak up the view.

Star Party Scopes -

FC100/76 - Terrific telescopes, real performers in their aperture class.

FS152 - A classic with great contrast, a joy to use.

TEC160/180 - Absolutely beautiful to look at and through.

AP130/155 - Always an honour to observe with these telescopes.

It doesn't get any better than the optics in the TOA, but as an overall observing experience those bigger TEC's really rock.

• Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#22 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Central Miichigan

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

SV115 (LZOS) (mine)

SV85S (mine)

Haven't really used any other refractors other than Robert Morlan's SV115 that was idenrical to mine.

The Stellarvue Nighthawk while an achromat is a mighty fun scope.

• Scott Beith and Lewis Cason like this

#23 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

TV NP101 (not my scope) - owned by a friend and I was able to run it side by side with a Tak FS102 to help him decide which one to keep.  One of the best views of the DC I have ever had in a 31mm Nagler.

Tak FS102 (not my scope) - owned by a friend and I was able to run it side by side with a TV NP101 to help him decide which one to keep.  Very sharp optics. 

*** NOTE ***  Having the opportunity to use the TV NP101 side by side with the Tak FS102 many years ago was the biggest influence towards hooking me on high quality refractors. 

The NP is an impressive scope, isn't it?  I had a friend that used to own one, and one evening at our dark site we spent about 3 hours doing a side by side with the Stowaway. We analyzed quite a few different targets consisting of open & globular clusters, galaxies, emission and reflection nebulae. Talk about a close run. We ended up concluding that the NP went slightly deeper, and obviously had the beautiful flat field, but the Stowaway edged out the NP on contrast. Overall optically both of us would have been happy to own either scope. On brighter targets over the years neither of us saw any secondary spectrum in either scope. Both are outstanding instruments. Mine will go with me to the grave. 

Mechanics are close but it's tough to beat the TV build.  One thing is the Stowaway's dew shield is too short. I fixed that with a Kendrick flexible shield. Works like a charm. 

Every time I break out the AP, I really want a larger APO. I don't believe that will ever change until I satisfy that desire. Then of course I'll want a bigger brother to that one!  :grin:

• Scott Beith and SkyRanger like this

#24 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

TEC-140  (Mine)

TSA-102 (Mine, but sold)

TMB 100/800 lens in WO tube (Mine, but sold)

FS-102 (Mine, but sold)

• Scott Beith and Paul Morow like this

#25 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

The best refractors I have looked through:

TEC 140 (mine)

TOA-130 (used to be mine)

TMB 130SS (mine)

TSA-120 (used to be mine)

A-P 105 Traveler (mine)

SV 80S (LOMO) (used to be mine)

I have not had an opportunity to look through any of the bigger high quality refractors.  And maybe that's a good thing. I am sure if I looked through one, I would have to find one to call my own. :lol: 

Cheers,

Ron

• Paul G, Scott Beith, jrbarnett and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics