•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aristarchus with 9.25" EdgeHD on November 11, 2016

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:59 AM

Had some pretty good seeing conditions on Friday night and a big change from yesterday when I could hardly focus on the moon. Of course, after I had everything ready to go I flipped the power switch for my mount and got nothing, checked the connections and still nothing. Took the power cable inside and immediately found that the "hot" wire inside of the 12V power plug had broken. This is the second time I've had to repair the power cord on my A-P Mach1GTO mount (and believe me, I treat the connectors on that mount with extreme care).

After looking at what I might have to do this time to fix the cord I decided to throw out the original plug (really poor design) and replace it with a 10A-fused Philmore plug that I purchased probably a year ago at Fry's Electronics (for an as yet unfinished project). So, I soldered everything up and went back outside only to see that the sky was beginning to be covered by thin, high clouds. Fortunately, the seeing remained pretty good although I was actually imaging through some very thin clouds.

Taken using a 9.25" EdgeHD (prime focus, f/10) with an Astronomik Planet IR Pro 642nm filter and a ZWO ASI178MM camera. Processing done with Autostakkert! (best 25% of 512 frames), Registax, and Photoshop CC2015. This is a 1600 x 1200 pixel crop from the original 2452 x1516 frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aristarchus (Small).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 12 November 2016 - 06:29 AM.

• Carol L, Sunspot, Traveler and 10 others like this

#2 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

I had good seeing also so I did a 2x and 3x of the area. meaning 2x barlow and 3. the hard part is imaging the crater without over doing the brighness. your image looks great. if you care to I imaged and posted the same 

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

I looked at your post, all good shots for a 6" scope.

I'm not completely happy with my image, the tonal quality isn't right although it is by far the most detailed image that I've ever gotten of the Aristarchus region. I still have over one thousand more subs to process and I think I can improve on the tonal quality (although I may have to cut back on the sharpening). I may also do a drizzle on just the crater and its immediate surroundings, the full frame is too big to drizzle in AutoStakkert!.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics