•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Information on the Takahashi Mewlon 210 and Mewlon 250

• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

#526 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:10 PM

Do you find that comparable to the Mewlon?

#527 fred1871

fred1871

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:48 PM

TEC 140? - the album has a Tak name, but the scope has a TEC label....

And, yes, how does it compare to the Mewlon?

#528 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:21 AM

Do you find that comparable to the Mewlon?

Not at all. No diffraction spikes and it’s ready to go in minutes rather than hours.

I’m okay with giving up 2” of aperture for ease of use... and no collimating required. Who knows? Maybe I’ll replace it with a 180 in the future. I think the mount is easily up to the task.

Don’t want to take this thread down the wrong path. I posted a short first light report in the refractor forum. 

TEC 140? - the album has a Tak name, but the scope has a TEC label....

And, yes, how does it compare to the Mewlon?

TEC 160. I don’t have time to create an album every time I upload a photo to CN so I just everything in the first album I created. 

Edited by StarAlert, 06 November 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#529 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

• Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

As per the other topic on Do I need a Mewlon 210?  Yes I do!  have found this topic very useful along with another on CloudyNights regarding accessories and bit and pieces for the Takahashi Mewlon 210.

I was wondering if anyone has used the TKA31595 TOA Extender 1.6x (2") with the Mewlon 210.  According to some retailer sites it is suggested this can be used with visual as well as photo.  I would like to confirm that before sinking money into it (by the way am getting the right angled finder, have a moonlite focuser and the 0.8 focal reducer).  I have also looked at the Baader adapters for a short visual back and Kyoei short visual back is on order.

Due to this thread (and the other thread mentioned above) I decided to grab a Mewlon 210 which is on order and awaiting an update of when it will arrive.

1) Are there any other accessories that are must haves?

2) Also are there any recommendations about cases?  I have thought of flight cases and trying case manufacturers but importing to Oz is more expensive than the case itself in some cases unfortunately at the moment.

3) Also what brand rings can you get for the scope and what size to fit the tube?

Many thanks to all as it has helped me understand parts that have worked well (and empty my bank account at the same time lol.gif  ).  Without these forums considering a Mewlon was a bit of a mystery.

#530 Phil Jones

Phil Jones

Viking 1

• Loc: TX

Posted 06 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

1) Are there any other accessories that are must haves?

Best accessory advice I received on CN was the MoonLite focuser for Mewlons. The focuser has greatly improved my observing experiences.

50760329917_75208609d7_c.jpg

• eros312, Brollen, Tyson M and 3 others like this

#531 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:23 AM

Best accessory advice I received on CN was the MoonLite focuser for Mewlons. The focuser has greatly improved my observing experiences.

50760329917_75208609d7_c.jpg

That is a nice setup there Phil and thank you for the confirmation on the Moonlite (I had thought of a Feathertouch focuser).  It is nice to see a photo with the Takahashi diagonal and can see you are using the Televue Nagler Type 4s - good to know they come to focus.  It is also good to see a clear sky smile.gif  Where I am has been cloudy for a while and surprisingly wet considering we struggle to get a drop in Summer usually. 

I have a Baader BBHS diagonal and not sure if going to the Takahashi diagonal is worthwhile with this diagonal or not.  

I have managed to acquire the right angle finder from TS, Baader adapters, Kyoei adapter ring, Wide T mount, Prime focus ring, Tak finder light, a Tak focal reducer 0.8x and the moonlite focuser so far.  Although no scope as yet - it has been on order for over a month and have asked for an update - may be a month or two off yet.

I am not sure what else is needed to add to that mandatory shopping list lol.gif   It would be good to know if anyone has had any experience with the TOA Extender 1.6x and if there is any benefit or use.  I saw a review on a retailer's web site which someone indicated it worked with the Mewlon.

• JeremySh and teashea like this

#532 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

Just a bit of news for those µ250CRS or CCA250 owners, a chap called Alvin Frey has written up INDI drivers for the ActiveFocuser. May be useful for those who are using StellarMate with their setup, you can now use the autofocus routines too.

https://indilib.org/...ivefocuser.html

#533 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:24 PM

For any folks using Astroberry with their Takahashi µ250CRS/CCA250, the latest version of Astroberry does include Alvin Frey's ActiveFocuser however the installation isn't complete. On Astroberry after performing your apt update/upgrade, you will further need to :-

1) install the libhidapi-hidraw0. So please run sudo apt install libhidapi-hidraw0

2) fix the permissions of the newly installed /dev/hidraw0 

crw-------   1 root       root    244,   0 Mar 10 09:48 hidraw0

a) to do this permanently, you'll need to create a udev rule for this.

astroberry@astroberry:/etc/udev/rules.d $ cat 51-activefocuser.rules

# Takahashi ActiveFocuser
      # https://indilib.org/...ivefocuser.html
      #
      # Put this file into /etc/udev/rules.d
      #
      # If you are creating a distribution package,
      # put this into /usr/lib/udev/rules.d or /lib/udev/rules.d
      # depending on your distribution

# Takahashi ActiveFocuser
      KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20e1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="20e1", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

#534 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:07 AM

I finally got out to a dark site with still air and the 210 delivered everything I pointed it at with ease and clarity, saw dozens of galaxies, nebula and PN I had never before seen, unfortunately there were no planets to be had so, sadly, my nemesis remain. I took the telescope out when ambient == inside and the scope had no trouble maintaining the views despite around a 20 degree drop in temps, dew was not a factor.

Anyway to add to this thread: The 210 survived the ride still well collimated (maybe?) in this case: https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07MGYPPKW/ . It can stand straight up but it will rub on the finder a little, the scope fits a little better rotated a little. The case is too long so there is room to fit a small bag or maybe two depending on what you have as your visual back such as https://explorescientificusa.com/products/soft-sided-eyepiece-case-epwp-kit-case (or similar) and I just had one  and put this telescopes diagonal and other odds and ends in there. You could probably fashion some other sort of divider if you so well desired.

So one other consideration that I do not normally have to deal with are bugs, short open tube, there were so many bugs inside the tube when I was done, many species but the leafhoppers were the worst.

Edited by nva, 11 April 2021 - 07:37 AM.

• blackhaz likes this

#535 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

Hmmm bugs you say. Mosquitos get in my Mewlon 180 C tube and the tube works like a megaphone and they sound like bombers.

• blackhaz likes this

#536 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:30 AM

Hmmm bugs you say. Mosquitos get in my Mewlon 180 C tube and the tube works like a megaphone and they sound like bombers.

They fly out without too much coaxing, the leafhoppers would just not get out of the tube.

#537 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:09 PM

I have this focuser on my DF.   Best investment I have made...

However... why Tak doesn't include them on all of their scopes i'll never know.  You would think at their prices, a dual speed focuser would be 'standard'.  Reminds my of Mercedes selling cars without a backup camera.  It does happen, but it baffles me to no end!

For reference, I have nine Takahashi telescopes, including a TSA with the MEF3.  I like the standard Takahashi focusers.  They are smooth and precise.  The MEF3 is not really necessary to me.

#538 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

Posted 24 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

Thomas - the MEF34 is not really necessary?  Is this due to the original focuser being smooth enough?  I had considered getting it for a TSA120 I have on order or a Feathertouch focuser.  Still have adapters, moonlite focuser and accessories for the Mewlon 210 which still has not arrived after 5 months!  Takahashi are really having some delays at the moment.  As long as the scope is the same quality as normal I am ok with that, but we are coming to some good viewing targets over the next few months and Jupiter and Saturn will be making a return visit.  I would really like to be able to use the scope to start viewing.

• teashea likes this

#539 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

Thomas - the MEF34 is not really necessary?  Is this due to the original focuser being smooth enough?  I had considered getting it for a TSA120 I have on order or a Feathertouch focuser.  Still have adapters, moonlite focuser and accessories for the Mewlon 210 which still has not arrived after 5 months!  Takahashi are really having some delays at the moment.  As long as the scope is the same quality as normal I am ok with that, but we are coming to some good viewing targets over the next few months and Jupiter and Saturn will be making a return visit.  I would really like to be able to use the scope to start viewing.

There are a variety of opinions regarding Takahashi focusers.  I like them.  I have eleven current generation Takahashi telescopes.  Three have the MEF3 focusers that came on the telescopes.  I am a visual observer.  For my purposes I would not even add the MEF3's to my other Takahashi telescopes.  For me they are all quite good.  

176590830_10222081007228592_9128155634513861986_n.jpg

177674383_10222081006908584_6464730682490335532_n.jpg

Edited by teashea, 24 April 2021 - 07:32 PM.

• payner, AnakChan and yoda19776 like this

#540 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:29 AM

Thomas, very nice family of Takahashi telescopes.  Now I know why there is a shortage of Tak scopes, you have most of them!

Bill

• yoda19776 and teashea like this

#541 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

Thomas, very nice family of Takahashi telescopes.  Now I know why there is a shortage of Tak scopes, you have most of them!

Bill

Must be a shortage of Vixen mounts too.

• teashea likes this

#542 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:40 PM

Teashea’s room probably has as many scopes on display as the Starbase store in Akihabara did when I stopped in a few years ago!

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 25 April 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• teashea likes this

#543 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:04 AM

Based on Teashea's opinion (and obvious experience smile.gif with the family of Takahashi scopes bow.gif ) I will see how the focuser goes (TSA120 although that will arrive by Christmas if I am lucky apparently).  I have been told the Mewlon 210 is 2 weeks away (5 month wait so far) and looking forward to my new arrival ... cannot wait to get this going as we head into Winter and some good viewing targets in the Southern Hemisphere).  I liked the idea of push to AltAz mounts given my mainly visual pursuits, so I invested in a Rowan AZ100 mount - not cheap but quite a robust mount with encoders and grabbed the Nexus DSC Pro with it - just need the Mewlon 210 and off we go (well the TSA120 as well as a dual mount will be nice).  Budget did not quite make the cut for a Berlebach Planet tripod to suit, but hoping to sell some gear to move towards this.  Any preferences from anyone regarding an aluminium / steel tripod vs wood?

Edited by yoda19776, 28 April 2021 - 06:08 AM.

• bobhen, rkelley8493 and teashea like this

#544 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:10 AM

Wood can be better. The steel tripods ring like a bell, and damping of vibrations slow.

- the metal ones with a stainless steel tubular leg aren't especially stiff in respect to oscillations in azimuth; the "crutch" design for wooden legs is superior. 

- some of the metal tripods are compromised by weak aluminium alloy castings used at the top of the legs and in the head (Celestron especially). Berlebach's Planet and UNI models are superior in that respect.

- some of the Chinese metal tripods with extending legs have rather unreliable single screw clamps that are woefully inadequate for the payload on top; the risk of these slipping or failing catastrophically dumping your scope on the ground is a real issue.

Lastly Berlebach have a wide range of accessories - heads to suit practically any mount in production, two sizes of leg spreaders, the leg angle can be adjusted, two sizes of accessory trays, matching carry bags, rubber or point tips, and there's a neat clamp that grabs the legs and supports a tray perfect for a 13" laptop (I use Velcro to secure my MacBook Air to it), much more. 

In this respect if you do go for a Berlebach Planet or UNI, buy all the accessories because I guarantee you'll later regret not doing so, and doing it all at once saves a bundle on postage. 

NB I have a Planet and UNI8 and I would regard both as much better than the typical Chinese ones from Synta with 2" stainless tubular legs.

Edited by luxo II, 28 April 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#545 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

I like wood for the looks of them but one of the best tripods as far as weight versus stability is the HAL 130 that came with my Vixen Sphinx.

• wander3 likes this

#546 Mattimac

Mattimac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Stars at Night - are Big and Bright - Deep in the Heart of Texas

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:07 AM

+1 for the Planet, per Luxo II's advice.  IMO it is a bargain compared to other tripods in its class.  Quoted capacity is >100kg depending on the leg configuration, and I have found control of torsional flexing (i.e. azimuthal damping) to be excellent.  I would get it with double clamps on each leg for peace-of-mind stability, especially if you end up mounting two scopes. 

(One hidden advantage -- I dressed mine up with the Nutbrown finish and rubber feet, and it is pretty enough for my wife to allow its presence on our wood floor with her other nice furniture!)

#547 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

Based on Teashea's opinion (and obvious experience smile.gif with the family of Takahashi scopes bow.gif ) I will see how the focuser goes (TSA120 although that will arrive by Christmas if I am lucky apparently).  I have been told the Mewlon 210 is 2 weeks away (5 month wait so far) and looking forward to my new arrival ... cannot wait to get this going as we head into Winter and some good viewing targets in the Southern Hemisphere).  I liked the idea of push to AltAz mounts given my mainly visual pursuits, so I invested in a Rowan AZ100 mount - not cheap but quite a robust mount with encoders and grabbed the Nexus DSC Pro with it - just need the Mewlon 210 and off we go (well the TSA120 as well as a dual mount will be nice).  Budget did not quite make the cut for a Berlebach Planet tripod to suit, but hoping to sell some gear to move towards this.  Any preferences from anyone regarding an aluminium / steel tripod vs wood?

That is very surprising.  I hope it is true.  Le us know one way or the other ---- that will deserve a new topic on CN.

#548 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

Don't forget carbon fiber.  I have some Vixen CB90 carbon fiber tripods and I really like them.

#549 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:36 AM

Thank you Luxo II, teashea, Nippon and Mattimac (nice comment about the colour and rubber feet). Some interesting observations and certainly good points about the wooden berlebach tripods. Looks like i need to save up a bit more for this and accessories. For two scopes, it sounds like the option to go for. Any good retailers in terms of price? I am trying to reduce paying the government any more import taxes than i have to!

Teashea i am intrigued about the carbon fibre tripods as i have never really ventured in that direction. Do they dampen the vibration well and what kind of payload can they support comfortably?

With regard to timeframe to send my Mewlon 210 according to the Australian supplier Takahashi japan is having some difficulties due to the current pandemic which seems to be slowing things down. 2 weeks I really hope so - i know it is worth the wait but really would like to get some viewing in. The weather here is also rubbing it in with clear skies... all week so far! I know the obligatory clouds are coming when it arrives and may signal when the scope is here lol.gif

• teashea likes this

#550 teashea

teashea

Gemini

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:17 PM

Thank you Luxo II, teashea, Nippon and Mattimac (nice comment about the colour and rubber feet). Some interesting observations and certainly good points about the wooden berlebach tripods. Looks like i need to save up a bit more for this and accessories. For two scopes, it sounds like the option to go for. Any good retailers in terms of price? I am trying to reduce paying the government any more import taxes than i have to!

Teashea i am intrigued about the carbon fibre tripods as i have never really ventured in that direction. Do they dampen the vibration well and what kind of payload can they support comfortably?

With regard to timeframe to send my Mewlon 210 according to the Australian supplier Takahashi japan is having some difficulties due to the current pandemic which seems to be slowing things down. 2 weeks I really hope so - i know it is worth the wait but really would like to get some viewing in. The weather here is also rubbing it in with clear skies... all week so far! I know the obligatory clouds are coming when it arrives and may signal when the scope is here lol.gif

Carbon fiber is an amazing thing.  It is so much stronger than steel, aluminum or wood.  Yes, it dampens vibrations well.  The payload depends on the particular tripod.  I don't know what kink of mounts you use.  I use all Vixen mounts, so I have several Vixen cb90 carbon fiber tripods.  They are light and very strong - which is why they use cf for Formula 1 cars, airplanes, etc.   

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics