•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Information on the Takahashi Mewlon 210 and Mewlon 250

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#551 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:51 PM

Any good retailers in terms of price?

Order from Berlebach direct, in Germany.  No retailers AFAIK.

Re carbon fibre - if you really want overkill, Berlebach do carbon fibre too.

Edited by luxo II, 29 April 2021 - 09:52 PM.

#552 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

• Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

Carbon fiber is an amazing thing.  It is so much stronger than steel, aluminum or wood.  Yes, it dampens vibrations well.  The payload depends on the particular tripod.  I don't know what kink of mounts you use.  I use all Vixen mounts, so I have several Vixen cb90 carbon fiber tripods.  They are light and very strong - which is why they use cf for Formula 1 cars, airplanes, etc.   

I use a Rowan AZ100 ... well just acquired one so need to have a good steady tripod.  We are looking at a 8 - 9kg mount with two DV saddles, Nexus DSC Pro, etc.  May have counterweights if using one scope, but really does not add any more than a second scope.  Both scopes you are looking around 8-9kg each (Mewlon 210 and TSA 120 with accessories).  Carbon fibre seems strong but also sounds like this comes at an extra cost above wood, aluminium and steel.

Order from Berlebach direct, in Germany.  No retailers AFAIK.

Re carbon fibre - if you really want overkill, Berlebach do carbon fibre too.

Not really after overkill - functional is what I am after.  I had a look at Berlebach (manufacturer) and quite frankly I cannot understand the difference in price between them and Teleskop Express ... I can purchase additional items and still be cheaper and they offer cheaper postage through UPS and FedEx.  The only issue they do not offer the mount with the Rowan AZ100 adapter I need.  I have emailed them and will see what happens with Teleskop Express.  It does make me wonder why the gap in cost and if I am missing something (have compared shopping carts and product numbers already).  

Edited by yoda19776, 08 May 2021 - 07:43 AM.

#553 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:54 PM

I use a Rowan AZ100 ... well just acquired one so need to have a good steady tripod. We are looking at a 8 - 9kg mount with two DV saddles, Nexus DSC Pro, etc. May have counterweights if using one scope, but really does not add any more than a second scope. Both scopes you are looking around 8-9kg each (Mewlon 210 and TSA 120 with accessories). Carbon fibre seems strong but also sounds like this comes at an extra cost above wood, aluminium and steel.

Not really after overkill - functional is what I am after. I had a look at Berlebach (manufacturer) and quite frankly I cannot understand the difference in price between them and Teleskop Express ... I can purchase additional items and still be cheaper and they offer cheaper postage through UPS and FedEx. The only issue they do not offer the mount with the Rowan AZ100 adapter I need. I have emailed them and will see what happens with Teleskop Express. It does make me wonder why the gap in cost and if I am missing something (have compared shopping carts and product numbers already).

You tried FLO?

#554 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:59 PM

Anyone used

https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/

to import a Mewlon 210 to Europe, the UK?

Vixens are quite close in price between UK and Japan but Takahashi ouch, huge difference.was tempted by C9.25, but unavailable so why not a Mewlon.

• JeremySh likes this

#555 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 02:22 AM

Hi,
When I buy from Japan (I’m in continental Europe) I need to add more or less 30% to the shop price. Sometimes it could be a good idea, sometimes it’s better to buy a local item, it depends.
Regards
  • Deadlake likes this

#556 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

Focus shift on your Mewlon ?

You may decide to try this procedure….

Place the tube horizontaly on a table.

Peel back the rubber sleeve on the focus knob to reveal 3 grub screws.

Then loosen the 3 radial screws on the focus knob with a 1.5mm Allen key.

Next turn the focus knob clockwise (mirror IN) until fully tight and then turn anti-clockwise for about 1/8 of a turn to adjust any mechanical play.

Finally tighten the 3 radial screws on the focus knob and refit the rubber sleeve.

Hope it helps.

Edited by dweller25, 12 May 2021 - 01:34 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#557 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:19 PM

Anyone used

https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/

to import a Mewlon 210 to Europe, the UK?

Vixens are quite close in price between UK and Japan but Takahashi ouch, huge difference.was tempted by C9.25, but unavailable so why not a Mewlon.

I have tried on four occasions to get KO to sell me a Takahashi telescope or accessory - shipping to the US.  They politely declined each time.  They cited their distribution agreement with Takahashi.  I was able to find someone in Japan who purchased the items from KTokyo (same company) and forward them to me.

#558 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:20 PM

I should also note that KO did sell some Vixen items.  They were very good to work with.

#559 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:36 PM

Focus shift on your Mewlon ?

You may decide to try this procedure….

Place the tube horizontaly on a table.

Peel back the rubber sleeve on the focus knob to reveal 3 grub screws.

Then loosen the 3 radial screws on the focus knob with a 1.5mm Allen key.

Next turn the focus knob clockwise (mirror IN) until fully tight and then turn anti-clockwise for about 1/8 of a turn to adjust any mechanical play.

Finally tighten the 3 radial screws on the focus knob and refit the rubber sleeve.

Hope it helps.

Excellent! Just tried this on my Tak CN-212 and it works good. Now I can adjust the focus knob to be anywhere inbetween loose and tight. I'll see if it removed the backlash shortly.

I had backlash and focus shift, and stiffness when the tube was pointed up above 45 degrees or so. I'll try and report back with any improvements seen.

Regards,

AG

#560 yoda19776

yoda19776

Sputnik

• Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

You tried FLO?

Checked and UK GBP to AUD is bad af roughly 2 to 1 on the dollar. Better options to try.

Hi,
When I buy from Japan (I’m in continental Europe) I need to add more or less 30% to the shop price. Sometimes it could be a good idea, sometimes it’s better to buy a local item, it depends.
Regards

Sometimes it is better to get local. Always wise to check and shop around. I think the  AUD is worse than the euro or USD or GBP in terms of exchange rates.

I have tried on four occasions to get KO to sell me a Takahashi telescope or accessory - shipping to the US.  They politely declined each time.  They cited their distribution agreement with Takahashi.  I was able to find someone in Japan who purchased the items from KTokyo (same company) and forward them to me.

We are somewhat lucky in Australia that kyoei will trad with us but at the moment they ask orders no less than 50000 yen so grabbing that small part or accessory will not be an option unless it is over this amount. Locally we do have a takahashi supplier where i have ordered both the Mewlon 210 (finally in Oz amd being shipped to me nkw... apparently Mewlons are taking up to 7 months on the backorder at the moment so i have been informed) and TSA120 from. Kyoei was good to talk to and responsive although given import duties and taxes our local supplier is the best option including warranty.

• teashea likes this

#561 GlobularClusterFan

GlobularClusterFan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:12 PM

I thinking of getting a Mewlon 250 CRS, and I am confused as to what accessories I have to buy for visual observing with 2" eyepieces.

I am assuming I need:

• Takahashi Rings
  • Losmandy-style D dovetail (yes I realize the aftermarket one is the wrong lengthwise spacing for the top bar.  I'll re-drill the top bar or leave it off).
  • 2" diagonal (probably TeleVue)

Do I need any adapter for the back for the 2" diagonal to fit into, or does that come with the scope?

Edited by GlobularClusterFan, 10 June 2021 - 09:12 PM.

#562 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:18 AM

32mm Extender TKP83002 - 2" adapter TKP82110 - 2" diagonal TKA00543 - your choice of 2" eyepiece

For the life of me, I can't remember if any of these come with the scope or if it's all additional accessories you have to purchase. I think at least the TKA00543 diagonal is an optional accessory.  The scope may come with a straight 2" adapter (TKP31112) which I can tell you it's tedious to look through an eyepiece with that.

Yes you'd need rings (not necessarily Tak but you could use theirs), and dovetail plate, clamp, mount, etc.

#563 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:46 AM

Mine came with a straight 2" adapter, but that was nearly 20 years ago...

#564 GlobularClusterFan

GlobularClusterFan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:43 AM

I think I found the answer to my question.  According to the manual, the Mewlon comes with everything for straight-through visual observing.  You just replace an extension tube with your own (not-included) 2" diagonal to get right-angle visual viewing.

• payner likes this

#565 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

One of the things I cannot stand about the Mewlon family is the lack of RACI finderscope. I find it a royal PITA to bend myself into positions to use the finder. Fortunately there is a very nice solution to this. It is made by Telescope Service aka Telescope Express in Germany. Here is the link to it. It is a right angle polar scope adapter:

http://www.teleskop-...inderscope.html

And here it is on my 210. Wonderful to use. The stock one works fine. No special machining needed by the folks at TE.

Sorry to open an old thread, but I'm trying to find a RA finder for my Mewlon 250. I have gone to the German webpage 4 or 5 times and sent email trying to get information. I never get an answer. Does anyone know if they have gone out of business? If so, maybe I can find another alternative...

#566 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

For me it depends on the context of the finders actual usage. Having an RA finder just on it's own is far more difficult to use unless accompanied by a red dot finder, otherwise you have to gunsight along the axis of the finder tube, then move you head to another position, which means you can not merge the stars with both eyes simultaneously. This will often make it harder for the observer to know whether or not the star in the finder is the same one they saw along the gun sighting of the finder tube. 

For me, I prefer aligning the primary scope with a straight finder because most mount these telescopes to GoTo mounts anyway and the finders are usually used just for aligning the stars. Star hopping however is another story. In this particular case, I recommend an RA finder coupled with a red dot finder. You use the red dot to get you close to the target, then hope to see the target somewhere in the finder to center in the crosshair and then look at the subject through the primary scope. All finders have advantages and disadvantages depending on how the user intends to utilize them. 

Star hopping through a straight finder is daunting compared to an RA finder, but once again, aligning one of these scopes with a straight finder is easier IMO.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 08 July 2021 - 11:54 AM.

• fred1871, Nippon and teashea like this

#567 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

When I was young I hated RA finders because they were hard to aim accurately compared to my straight through finder. But I cannot deny how much more physically comfortable they are now that I'm in my late 60s. But in my opinion the straight through finders on the Mewlon scopes are the easiest among straight through finders to use because of their position top dead center of the scope. The finder position for my Vixen 103 refractor off to the left is a real pain to use when hunting objects in the southwest sky on a German equatorial mount.

#568 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:43 AM

I found this for a RA eyepiece for polar scope. probably will work with straight through finder.

https://www.astrosho...r-scope/p,57965

#569 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 08 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

In another thread, someone else said these RACI adapters from TS are not correct image but upside-down.  I once owned a Meade polar alignment finder scope years go and remember it was upside down or reversed image.  Pretty useless when using star hopping and charts to find objects.

#570 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:58 PM

In another thread, someone else said these RACI adapters from TS are not correct image but upside-down.  I once owned a Meade polar alignment finder scope years go and remember it was upside down or reversed image.  Pretty useless when using star hopping and charts to find objects.

Hi Bill,

just a word of note. I still prefer to star hop with Sky Atlas 2000, Uranometria 2000 and the Interstellarum to this very day depending on whether I'm hopping through the eyepiece or a finder. All the observer has to do is rotate the atlas upside down in this type of scenario. If the image is right side up and swapped left to right as is typical of a refractor or CAT with a diagonal and eyepiece, then the observer is more challenged because they would have have to memorize star orientations in the same manner. When I submitted observations to AAVSO, both methods had to be memorized. Since an RA finder is typically more used for star hopping, some of todays come with corrected prisms to make it easier, but for dedicated observers, star hopping is a must for the study of perceived star magnitudes through any eyepiece. 

The other option are digital programs like Safari where the user can pre program the digital map to match the orientation of the finder or the telescope view.  I suppose all of this would be predicated on what the observers intentions or situation are first but there are methods for every type of scenario.

Best

#571 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:09 AM

I use mostly Orion 9x50 RACI finder scopes with my telescopes.  They show the night sky like you would see it with your naked eye or binoculars.  Then you can use the pocket star atlas without having to flip it upside down..  

Bill

• teashea likes this

#572 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:50 PM

I use mostly Orion 9x50 RACI finder scopes with my telescopes.  They show the night sky like you would see it with your naked eye or binoculars.  Then you can use the pocket star atlas without having to flip it upside down..  

Bill

That is a significant advantage

#573 PawPawskies

PawPawskies

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:31 PM

This is a first post and let me apologize up front for those who have had to deal ad nauseam with Mewlon collimation posts, or if I am in the wrong forum.

I was late to the astronomy hobby and have been struggling to determine if what I believe to be a softness in my photography with the 210 Mewlon is related to collimation issues, or more likely to be other issues. My eyesight is not what I would like so my ability to focus is one issue. I have been using the scope in Bortle 8 skies near a major metropolitan area, so that clearly impacts the quality. I had attempted to adjust the collimation, and just made things much worse. I now have figured out a collimation process that I think that I can replicate, but have not been able to perform a star test in my area due to a number of factors, mostly related to the seeing.
I visited a relative in a Bortle 4 area and in an abbreviated viewing session obtained these photos. The images are from a ZWO 462. I used PIPP and Autostakkert with in process sharpening. To me these seem to indicate that the scope is once again in collimation, but when I look at the work of others on Astrobin using this scope they seem to get better results.  The third photo was taken adding a Televue 2x Powermate, and I think that the image is softer. However, the 2x magnification may easily have pushed the scope beyond what resolution is reasonable, as the 462 is a very small sensor. The temperature was also rapidly falling and I don’t think the mirror could cool down fast enough.

Moon 3/ 2021 Apollo 11 site, Ritter and Sabine

Apollo 11 landing site, Ritter and Sabine

Moon 3 2021

Theophilus

2x Powermate Of Theophilus

Theophilus 2x

For those of you who are comfortable with the collimation of your 210 Mewlon and are confident in your ability to focus the scope, do you think that this scope is in reasonable collimation? When I get back to a setting where I can perform a star test I will try again, but there is some reason for me to believe that the scope is not 100% in alignment. Given some of the limitations in attempting to re-collimate the Mewlon, I suspect that I am just as likely to make it worse rather than a tad better. I would appreciate the thoughts of someone who is more experienced in their use of this scope. Thanks in advance.

• teashea likes this

#574 lwbehney

lwbehney

Vostok 1

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:51 PM

Hello Paw,

I have a µ210 also and have wondered the same thing as you, is my Mewlon perfectly collimated?

Teashea, who posted just above you on this thread, has discussed this issue on other posts about his Mewlon and learned from his own trail and error, that sometimes the diagonal is not perfectly  aligned perpendicularly to the light cone. It is best to collimate your Mewlon without the diagonal in place, because sometimes the diagonal does not seat perfectly.

I find where I live that atmospheric seeing can be a problem when trying to attain that ultimate perfection in collimation. Ultimately, I decided that my collimation must be pretty good, because I can split the A and B components of Xi Scorpii, which are separated by 0.76" using my 2" star diagonal inside a Moonlite focuser.  I have not tried to change the collimation of my µ210. I used to have a µ180c, but could never get the collimation right and I asked TNR, from whom I purchased it, to please check the collimation of my 180c before they shipped it to my door. It arrived mis-collimated and remained that way. Jupiter's moons were little footballs and the planet surface was blurry. I had to send it back within the return time limits, so maybe it would have eventually been fixable if I had more time available to tweak it, but I couldn't take the chance. Ed Ting had a similar problem with his µ180. 

I think that if you can split a tight double star close to the predicted Rayleigh limit, which I believe for a 210 mm scope is around 0.67 arcseconds, that your collimation would have to be excellent. 

C/S,

-Larry

#575 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:13 AM

I’ve deemed my 2005 M250 as being in decent collimation and optically good when I’m able to achieve FWHM around 1” (or 2.5 pixels at 0.4”/pixel).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics