•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Information on the Takahashi Mewlon 210 and Mewlon 250

• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

#601 tita

tita

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific NW

Posted 12 October 2021 - 10:56 PM

I prefer wood tripods [i.e. Berlebach] to aluminum. They're more massive than aluminum and very sturdy [they're also better looking in my opinion].

However, I take the aluminum tripod when I travel bc I'm not scared to throw it in the bed of the truck and ride off with no worries. meditation.gif

I just placed an order for the µ210!  snoopy2.gif

I really like your setup. Now I need to hunt a Berlebach...

Edited by tita, 12 October 2021 - 10:57 PM.

• payner, Reid W, rkelley8493 and 2 others like this

#602 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

Interesting to hear that. Pentax quotes the field stop is 46.5mm. Is the 1.16deg field what you’ve actually measured?

Just for kicks, I tested out the Pentax 40 XW in the Mu 210 last night and pointed the scope at Luna.

Surprisingly, I couldn't detect any vignetting as the Moon drifted towards the edge of the field. There was a bit of chromatic aberration from the eyepiece, but no dimming / darkening on the Lunar surface. 

I was using a Vernonscope Quartz 2" diagonal.

• payner and JeremySh like this

#603 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

I just placed an order for the µ210!  snoopy2.gif

I really like your setup. Now I need to hunt a Berlebach...

Congrats.   When will you receive it?

#604 tita

tita

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific NW

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

Congrats.   When will you receive it?

For the Mewlon, the estimate is for February. Of course I wish I could have it now and take a peek at Jupiter and Saturn, but I will need to be patient. Oh well, at least it gives me time to get a pair of decent eyepieces since I don't have any high quality ones. Just what came with my Skywatcher telescopes. 

For the Berlebach Planet, I can't find it in the US. Some places have it on sale but when I placed an order they canceled. I might just order straight from Germany. 

• teashea likes this

#605 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:08 PM

Of course I wish I could have it now and take a peek at Jupiter and Saturn, but I will need to be patient.

Here's a peek at Jupiter for you waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• nu mu jove 1013.jpeg
  • numujove1013.jpeg

• payner, Castor, Blueox4 and 3 others like this

#606 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:11 PM

Well, my trigger-pull on a used, new-model M-210 was delivered today. Of course, I have clouds because - new scope - but it's a beautiful sunset. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few peeks at Jupiter, Saturn, and the Moon tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6230.jpeg
  • IMG_6231.jpeg
  • IMG_6232.jpeg

• Castor, Reid W, Brollen and 5 others like this

#607 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:32 AM

Beautiful setup, I'm sure you'll love it like I enjoy my 180c.

Do you plan on doing some compares against the C9.25 and maybe the older C8 I see in your sig? It would be interesting to read on how these fine scopes compare to one another.

#608 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

Beautiful setup, I'm sure you'll love it like I enjoy my 180c.

Do you plan on doing some compares against the C9.25 and maybe the older C8 I see in your sig? It would be interesting to read on how these fine scopes compare to one another.

Thanks. I'll definitely be doing some comparisons when I can find the time. The C8 will be easy since it's on its own mount. The C9.25 will be a little more of a hassle since I'd have to swap it and the 210 on and off my CGX. Eventually I'll get around to it. smile.gif

Edited by dpippel, 25 October 2021 - 09:32 AM.

• teashea likes this

#609 Ojaigsguy

Ojaigsguy

Sputnik

• Loc: Ojai, Ca

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:10 PM

IMG 1556

• Castor, Brollen, dpippel and 3 others like this

#610 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

Congrats!  I really enjoy mine.  They're beautiful scopes.  

• dpippel likes this

#611 tcmclarney

tcmclarney

Sputnik

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

Hello All,

I was hunting for info on the Mewlon 250, trying to detect whether the older 250's have the same diameter fitting on the aft end output, when I came across this thread. At 25 pages, it's the longest I've ever seen! Having had the pleasure of speaking with Carson, and sharing a few e-mails with him, I'd say that given a chance to read what he has to say - it's worth one's time to work through all 25 pages!

I started into astronomy 26 months ago. My earlier years in life were spent being a kid, and then into the military where I became a pilot, and then into commercial aviation; a total of 28 years of flying. My eyes were very good. I gave up flying at age 50, and as of now - age 62 - my eyes are still functional, but there are many issues.

So, please take any comments concerning what I've seen, through telescopes, with some caution.

I had a 6" Meade Newtonian, to start. I started during planet season, late in 2019, and took 2 weeks to decide that I wanted something larger. I got a used C14. That helped some! Got started with a TV BinoVue, and enjoyed looking at the planets and moon with that. Wanting to try some imaging, but having trouble with learning on a 3,910mm focal length, I looked around for a small refractor to use as a guider on the C-14, as well as for wide field imaging. I settled on a used Takahashi FS-60CB.

The first time I opened that FS-60 up, on the moon, with a 6mm Delos, I was floored! WOW! The view was quite different from what I'd been seeing through the C14. Delightfully vibrant! The C14 view appeared as a month old pizza, while the FS-60 image was what you see as you watch you pizza being pulled from the pizza shop kiln. Maybe the C14 pizza was 2 months old... whatever it was, it was absolutely killed by the Tak view.

Within a month of seeing the light in the FS-60, I came within a day of buying Dr Who's TOA-130, in the early summer of 2020. Just missed it... I ended up with Tyson M's TSA-120, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Still, there were times when I wanted, or perhaps needed, more focal length. It took about 9 months to work my way around to doing it, but in March of 2021 I came across an ad for a Mewlon 250. The ad left me with a few questions, but I threw caution to the wind and offered full price. The seller wrote back and said "sold, to you", and that he'd had quite a few responses to his ad, but they all were asking for information. Mine was the first full-price offer.

I'm glad that I acted a bit rashly, for the results have been wonderful. I did have some collimation issues, which I've never deciphered scientifically. I find the collimation process to be a horror. The way I resolved it was to throw my hands up in surrender, and to run the secondary bolts so that the secondary moved all the way forward to the stops. I was going to start anew, after doing so, and the night I took the scope out to start anew, from the stops, I looked through the eyepiece at the moon and all the fuzziness that had been in the image before, was now gone. Someday, I may mess with star tests in order to fine-tune the collimation, but for my eyes as they are, what I was seeing looked perfect to me.

In order to show what I was comparing it to, I had the Mewlon 250 up on a side-by-side mount, along with the TSA-120. When I used to have my C11-Edge up alongside the TSA-120, there was a clear winner on planetary views. The C-11Edge had as much of a 2-month old pizza look as the C14 had had. Compared to the TSA, the contrast in the C11 Edge view was terribly lacking.

When I switched out the C11 Edge, and popped the Mewlon 250 in its' place, I was quite surprised to see that when I stepped from the TSA to the Mewlon, I did not see any decrease in contrast. The view through the Mew was as vibrant, lively, and real as the view through the TSA. Wow...

Is that a scientific assessment? Of course not. But it left me feeling that I had not interest in using the C11 Edge for visual purposes, now that I had the Mewlon.

I got the fever recently, for more refractor aperture. I sold the TSA-120, and was gunning for something closer to 200mm; used, of course. I considered a 70 lb 200mm Zeiss doublet in an A-P tube, but recent backaches from toting 60 lb concrete bags around convinced me that 70 lb scopes are not something I ought to be hoisting up and setting down. A CFF-185 nearly made it to me, but a local cash buyer snagged it. As I pondered what might come next, that would be affordable to me, Dr Who's TOA-150B popped up, and as with the Mewlon, I felt that it was better to act now, and beg my wife's forgiveness later. I got it, and she hasn't noticed yet. So the apology and begging are on hold.

What I've seen is that the jump from the TSA-120 to the TOA-150 (900mm f.l. to 1,100mm) is no panacea that puts much dent in the lack of scale being offered. If you want good scale in your planetary viewing, the Mewlon series is - to me - a great way to get it. I don't know about Dobs, and CDK's, and the like.

What I do know is that I am delighted with the TSA-120, and the TOA-150, and the FS-60CB, but for planetary viewing, When I want to really see some good detail, I will roll out the Mewlon 250 and wait a few hours for it to be properly cooled. If the seeing permits, it's by far the best thing I've got.

I am hoping to get some imaging done on the planets, with the TOA-150, but I'm also hoping to get the Mewlon 250CRS set up for imaging as well.

If you haven't looked through a Mewlon, try to find a way to do so. It's a remarkable view!

Happy holidays to all, CS, and GS (good seeing).

Tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics