•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UFOs: Have you or any of your friends experienced them?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

#1 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

I know this is a contentious issue and skepticism is high on this threads but it's an issue that should not be ignored.

The hobby of astronomy is important in this regard in that we spend hours upon hours closely observing the night sky, usually on clear and visible nights.  While I have never seen a so called "UFO," I personally know people who have seen unexplained lights in the sky and aircraft that do not match conventional shapes.

I do not mean to imply that any of these objects are of extraterrestrial origin, although I do not rule out any possibilities of what people are seeing.

I also know that many people are afraid to speak out, especially on forums like this for fear of ridicule, which I think is unfair to honest and open scientific inquiry.

Have any of you or any one of your friends, especially friends of yours in the astronomy community, ever seen a so called "UFO"?  If so, what is your story?

Note:  I understand that anything we cannot identify is technically a "UFO," but I am specifically referring to any seen object that defies all conventional explanation.

• MrG and Aquat0ne like this

#2 BrianThePrimate

BrianThePrimate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

There was this one time late at night when I was standing in a field and then there was this bright light... 

Hold on.  Someone just rang my door bell.  Looks to be a guy in a black suit and tie.  

Edited by BrianThePrimate, 17 November 2016 - 06:18 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, Phil Cowell, SimonLowther and 7 others like this

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

I saw these dark things one night that made a very strange sound. They then started to launch rockets, and I realized they were attack helicopters, shooting on a firing range.

Another night, one of my soldiers said that there was red smoke in the sky. I'm like, how can you see red smoke at night? Went out and it was a very impressive all red aurora.

I was driving along a road, and in the distance saw what appeared to be a shark fin moving through the trees, miles away. Turned out to be a B52 bomber on a low level bombing run.

Sometimes things are strange, out of the ordinary and unknown things, but they normally have explanations.

• Max T, JerryOrr, JPDucky and 4 others like this

#4 G.Richard

G.Richard

Viking 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

I saw these dark things one night that made a very strange sound. They then started to launch rockets, and I realized they were attack helicopters, shooting on a firing range.

Another night, one of my soldiers said that there was red smoke in the sky. I'm like, how can you see red smoke at night? Went out and it was a very impressive all red aurora.

I was driving along a road, and in the distance saw what appeared to be a shark fin moving through the trees, miles away. Turned out to be a B52 bomber on a low level bombing run.

Sometimes things are strange, out of the ordinary and unknown things, but they normally have explanations.

And sometimes they can't be explained.

• Don Taylor, JerryOrr, 2LiveAndDieInLA and 1 other like this

#5 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

About two weeks ago I saw one bright flash while looking north. Just one white flash about as bright as Jupiter. No blinking aircraft lights. About two minutes later when looking west I saw it again, just the one flash. No idea what it was. Unidentified is all I can say. Never saw any other lights like something flying along across the sky.

#6 AndrewXnn

AndrewXnn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico, NY

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Believe it was August 1981 near dusk along the south east shore of Lake Ontario.

It appeared as a large V shape about 500' on a side with lights along the edge.

It was moving at about 30 mph and turned sharply without banking.

Could have been a very an extremely large air balloon.

However, have never seen anything like it since.

Coincided with report of strange lights along the Hudson River.

There are some news reports about this series of incidents.

https://www.youtube....h?v=o5kIbcT4E1g

• Napersky likes this

#7 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

no

• richardr, DoctorNoodle, John J and 5 others like this

#8 Bill Schneider

Bill Schneider

Apollo

• Loc: Athens, OH

In Ohio in October 1973, I was away at college, but there were many people I know and trust who saw very strange things. Not just lights in the sky, but solid objects floating above the interstate. It was widely reported in the newspapers, and the biggest story was a military helicopter that encountered one in mid-air near Mansfield. I suspect a quick search will find the stories about that.

Unfortunately, I missed all the excitement being away from my Ohio hometown.

Personally I have seen strange things in the sky, but in daylight. On two occasions, I saw groups of mostly transparent objects shaped like disks. Their centers were thinner than the periphery. In both cases, there was a large one and several smaller ones moving around the big one. They didn't move with the wind/clouds.

The second set was directly above the Wright-Patterson airbase (late 60s or early 70s). It was a very cold and windy day, but they stayed put directly above the base. If they had been balloons, you'd have expected them to follow the prevailing winds, but they didn't. Very strange.

I've seen nothing since then that couldn't be explained.

#9 AndrewXnn

AndrewXnn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico, NY

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

Link to another persons report which is roughly consistent with what I witnessed:

http://www.ufoeviden...ents/doc671.htm

It was very large.

#10 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

It happened in the 80's in Brazil. My older sister, myself and a cousin. We were alone at home upstairs, window open in my mom's bedroom with TV on and just jumping around in bed (we were all kids and my sister a teenage). Sister saw this red dot in the sky and we all stopped playing and stared, it was moving in our direction, it was a red sphere, not too large but the color was weird, it was red but not bright, it was matte. Sister had a cheap department store binocular and decided to go downstairs in our bedroom to take a better look, myself and cousin got scared and followed her, when we were back upstairs the red sphere was now 6 red spheres forming a pentagon shape and one in the center, it was already about to go over the roof so only my sister had a chance to take a look with the binocular and obviously saw nothing other than the red sphere. We ran to the opposite side of the room to another window to wait for the "thing" to cross again, and it did but this time smaller and it kept getting smaller again, back to just 1 sphere and ended up looking like a regular star in the sky. VERY weird, no idea what that could have been, nothing on the news next day.

• Klitwo, Napersky, G.Richard and 3 others like this

#11 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:34 PM

It's one of my interest's looking for UFOs here in the Northern Marianas Islands.....I've seen some pretty weird things flying through my telescope's field of view in the night skies here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  A couple of them I can't seem to explain even using some logical science....Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to capture a mysterious visual incident with my digital camera attached to my trusty telescope some lucky night...We'll see. 

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo, 17 November 2016 - 08:02 PM.

• rodney j johnson jr likes this

#12 walt99

walt99

Viking 1

• Loc: Mount Aerial, Kentucky

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

I had to file this one away in my mind as "too weird to deal to deal with".   I still search the internet from time to time hoping to find a photo or someone else who saw it.  No success.

http://www.cloudynig...met-near-rigel/

Happy skies,  Walt

#13 Bill Schneider

Bill Schneider

Apollo

• Loc: Athens, OH

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

I must confess that in my misspent youth, I witnessed some "UFO" launches that made the local newspapers.

Imaging this - you see a bright red object moving at a steady pace in the sky. Suddenly, the red point accelerates rapidly away leaving a dull, bigger light moving away from where the red light used to be. The next day, there are reports of broken car windows along the flight path.

Here is the contraption...

ufo_balloon.png

When launched, the brilliant red flare is the only thing you see. After a few minutes, the flare stick burns through the string holding it, and it (with the can of rocks meant to be ballast)) falls away from the balloon. The remaining light comes from the Sterno burning and reflecting from the pie pan reflector.

I refuse to take credit for it though. I wasn't that smart back in High School.

Edited by Bill Schneider, 17 November 2016 - 07:55 PM.

• JohnMurphyRN, Mike G., premk19 and 1 other like this

#14 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

If you see something flying around in the day or night sky and you don't know what it is, then it is unidentified.

Unidentified means you do NOT know what it is.  Any attempt to identify what it is and you do not know what it is then you do not know.

Which makes it a UFO, UNIDENTIFIED!!!!

Nothing more.

• CP Kuiper likes this

#15 2LiveAndDieInLA

2LiveAndDieInLA

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

If you see something flying around in the day or night sky and you don't know what it is, then it is unidentified.

Unidentified means you do NOT know what it is.  Any attempt to identify what it is and you do not know what it is then you do not know.

Nothing more.

Which is exactly what I said in my original post.  But because it is unidentified that does not mean you are not allowed to speculate what it could be or assess it's properties to identify possible explanations.

#16 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

Nothing more.

Thanks for the clarification!

Klitwo

#17 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Although I didn't call it a UFO at the time because I thought I knew what it was.  

August 10th. 1972 I was flying spray planes out of Rigby airport in southeastern Idaho and was on the airport when I saw the fireball in the video link below.  The video was taken from the east side of the Teton range looking west, I was on the west side of the Tetons and much closer to the fireball than the person taking the video (actually I think it was 8mm movie camera).  

I was pretty familiar with aircraft capabilities at the time and was confident that it was no aircraft.  I considered a meteor but thought that it could not possibly be one because they were just grains of sand as that's what I had heard and they weren't visible in the daylight anyway but that thing was no grain of sand.  So, I concluded that it was either a rocket or an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile).  When I found out what it was the next day I was stunned.  I had watched it approach from the south and disappear in the north traveling what I thought was a  hundred miles or more in only maybe 15 seconds or so.  To think that there were large objects out there traveling 10 or 15 miles per second sparked my interest in astronomy mostly to satisfy a new found interest in what kinds of strange things are lurking out there in the unknown.

I give you.......The Great Teton Meteor of 1972

https://www.youtube....h?v=KcsJ6e8S5lA

Mike

Edited by MDB, 17 November 2016 - 10:25 PM.

• Astrojensen and Roblitespeed like this

#18 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

Plenty. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

#19 G.Richard

G.Richard

Viking 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

Although I didn't call it a UFO at the time because I thought I knew what it was.  

August 10th. 1972 I was flying spay planes out of Rigby airport in southeastern Idaho and was on the airport when I saw the fireball in the video link below.  The video was taken from the east side of the Teton range looking west, I was on the west side of the Tetons and much closer to the fireball than the person taking the video (actually I think it was 8mm movie camera).  

I was pretty familiar with aircraft capabilities at the time and was confident that it was no aircraft.  I considered a meteor but thought that it could not possibly be one because they were just grains of sand as that's what I had heard and they weren't visible in the daylight anyway but that thing was no grain of sand.  So, I concluded that it was either a rocket or an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile).  When I found out what it was the next day I was stunned.  I had watched it approach from the south and disappear in the north traveling what I thought was a  hundred miles or more in only maybe 15 seconds of so.  To think that there were large objects out there traveling 10 or 15 miles per second sparked my interest in astronomy mostly to satisfy a new found interest in what kinds of strange things are lurking out there in the unknown.

I give you.......The Great Teton Meteor of 1972

https://www.youtube....h?v=KcsJ6e8S5lA

Mike

I was observing in the backyard with a friend and I happened to look to the south and catch a very large meteor in full flames travelling east to west at a slow speed.  My initial thought was a plane in flames then it clicked in my mind that it was just a meteor.

• MDB likes this

#20 North of Sixty

North of Sixty

Apollo

• Loc: Yukon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thanks MDB. I forgot about Grand Teton. Great that you saw it. The Tagish Lake meteor event I witnessed in 2000 was very similar ~15 km/s, 5 m diam. It happened in the dark though so more dramatic. It's something that will always be with me as it was not only a thing of beauty but also a humbling wake up call making me a bigger supporter of efforts to deal with that global threat.

• MDB and MrG like this

#21 toranaga

toranaga

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

Have any of you or any one of your friends, especially friends of yours in the astronomy community, ever seen a so called "UFO"?  If so, what is your story?

NOPE!

I've never seen personally anything that I could not explain. However, this does not mean that I did NOT see any UFO. Maybe just my explanation to myself was wrong.

I'm nevertheless *quite* sure, THEY are HERE... somehow. If they are really here, then the technology would be probably that advanced that "they" would not manifest as any UFOs... maybe only in rare cases of their technology failure. But "they" could ever fly around here appearing as a plane... or a bird... or whatever natural.

I know that such ET presence on Earth (or in proximity to Earth) is quite against laws of physics as we believe them to know. However, ANY serious physicist will tell you that our knowledge of Nature MUST be at least incomplete, or even maybe totally wrong. Do not go here into details, just the keywords DM, DE, QG, black holes.... too many inconsistencies everywhere in our view on physics laws.

• MrG likes this

#22 North of Sixty

North of Sixty

Apollo

• Loc: Yukon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun..."

I've spent a lot of time outside all over the north but to date haven't seen anything that can't be explained by things like flocks of birds flying high after sunset, a moon playing tricks reflecting off snow-lakes-ice, aircraft and satellites, Sirius in very cold weather, reflections from big equipment working in the hills or next valley over or big trucks up on the ice roads. Seen strange and cool phenomena but not a craft piloted by benevolent aliens setting down on our pale blue dot to take me off-planet on wild adventures.

#23 rseven

rseven

Messenger

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

I live near a large military base. Many years ago I saw a light do some strange rapid maneuvers in the middle of the night. What was strange was it moved quickly, hovered, and made sharp direction changes, but not a sound. It was only visible for maybe thirty seconds and it disappeared below the trees on the horizon. I figure anything moving that fast had to be close enough to make a noise. I'll never know what it was, but I still don't think they have silent aircraft.

The reality is we have no clue what kind of toys have been built with the billions of dollars of dark money not accounted for in the federal budget. Let's just say the sky ain't the limit, and if I disappear tomorrow you'll know why!

Edited by rseven, 17 November 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#24 Klitwo

Klitwo

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:31 PM

"Klaatu Barada Nikto".....Translation  >  "There's hope for Earth, if the scientists can be reached"

Klitwo

• doctordub likes this

#25 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

Two objects.

1960? UK Two fuzzy meteors, both looked like a compact open cluster, M35? , flying in formation, same speed as a meteor. Immediately did a 'Z' maneuver  as if they were chasing each other and then vanished. Possible explanation? birds catching streetlights? Maybe, but have never seen anything similar since.

1974. Kelowna, BC.Early evening, November, dark.  Single bright, slightly pinkish light, low on horizon near local regional airport. Explanation, bright aircraft landing light. BUT light rose very slowly in sky, heading towards my direction, no change in light, odd for.  a landing light. Cloudy and raining at the time,  clouds always obscuring hilltops when raining, therefore cloud base approx 5000 feet max above. Light rising higher in sky but too slow for plane, still no change in appearance of light, -2 to -3 mag, very steady very slightly pinkish light, no other lights, and totally NO sound, even when overhead, when it passed behind clouds . Moved north to south, not wind driven, too slow for plane, no sound, no more than a mile away. No drones back then. Still puzzled by this one!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics