•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UFOs: Have you or any of your friends experienced them?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

#426 DrAstro

DrAstro

Sputnik

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:31 PM

Seeing something that you can't identify does not mean it "must" be of alien origin.

I think astronomers, especially armatures (who tend to actually look at the sky) all have probably seen things we can't explain. Growing up in a very small town and probably the only person in town with a telescope, I use to get many calls from locals asking "what is that thing off to the <compass direction>".  Sigh.   Sometimes it is easy. "Oh, that is Venus to the west after sunset", or "Oh, that is Jupiter to the east after sunset", then to explain the concept of opposition. But there were a few that required more study. 

Living in No. California (no, not SF, think almost to Oregon), we would sometimes see the results of rocket launches from Vandenburg in central CA. back in the 70s, there were a lot of experiments going on releasing ions high in the atmosphere. They still do them today. Well, they would launch north up the coast of CA and we could see them. Each time someone would eventually ask me, what was that in the sky the other night?  We would also get sounding balloons too. I saw one that was brighter than Venus before sunset to the west. Turning my small refractor on it I could easily make out the inflated Mylar ball and the payload below it. I was able to follow it till well after dark.

another time I saw a light making strange turns in the sky to the east. Could tell how close it was since it was dark and I had now way to triangulate, but I knew there was an empty field past the trees in front of me so I walked down the hill to the road that lead to the field and hurried out to see if it was close. It was windy that night, masking any sound, so I had to get pretty close to figure out it was a small plane doing aerobatics at NIGHT. No idea who it was.

More recently there are the occasional Iridium or other satellite flares (which can be researched now with many software offerings), but to get to the point...I can only recall seeing one thing I couldn't explain.

Back in the early 70s, a local community college held an annual event to commemorate the death of JFK. Each year on the Thursday after Thanksgiving, there was a 50 mile (almost 2 marathons) walk/race that started around 9pm. They laid out a course though the backroads in the area and had it well organized with water/potty stops along the way and rides back to the college for those who wanted to quit early. Well, I was walking with a group when one asked "what is that"?  we all looked over towards where they were pointing to the west and I saw a light (about as bright as a 1st mag star) slowly moving north to south (from our perspective) about  5 degrees before it switched direction and repeated. It was only a couple of degrees above the top of the hill it seemed to be over. I watched it for a good 5 minutes before it finally just dimmed out.  My guess was it was some kind of search/rescue going on with a helicopter, but the hill was at least 6 or 7 miles away so here wasn't any sound. never did hear anything else about it and to this day I don't have a better explanation. Oh, BTW, I made it half way, mostly walking and my feet still haven't forgiven me!

Alan

#427 RobbC

RobbC

Sputnik

• Loc: Ransom Canyon, TX

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:13 PM

Spring of 1966 in a very rural area in upstate NY. I watched a red star-like object trace a perfect equilateral triangle repeatedly, low in the eastern sky. It was about first-magnitude and orange-red in color about like Antares. Each leg of the triangle subtended about 12-15 degrees of arc and the bottom leg was parallel to and about 10 degrees above the horizon. The light took something like 10 to 15 seconds to travel one leg of the triangle, and when it reached an apex it changed direction instantaneously. It maintained a uniform speed throughout. The triangular path it described stayed in the same place in the sky.

This was a very rural area and very quiet at night. Cars were very infrequent. The nearest town was very small and three miles to the south. I heard no sound. There was nothing to the east of us but farmland and small towns for a hundred miles.

I watched it for several minutes, for maybe 4 complete "laps", and then ran inside to try to get others in my family to come look at it. Nobody could be bothered to leave the TV (which was actually the typical response I got when trying to interest family members to come see something wonderous in the night sky). I called the local radio station to "report a UFO", hoping to get some corroboration, but the very bored-sounding guy that answered the phone told me that they got about 4 or 5 reports every night. His tone of voice clearly communicated: "F*** off, kid."

It was still going on when I went back outside. After a few more minutes with no new developments I gave up and went in. 

I was 11 years old but I knew I was seeing something pretty difficult to explain. The only possible explanation in 1966 was a helicopter, but there was no sound, and the geometric precision of its path was uncanny, and there was no wavering at all when changing direction. It changed direction like the speed bikes in "Tron", albeit in slow motion. I've seen many strange sights in my 56 years of star gazing, some of them astounding at first, but this is the only one that I've never been able to develop a satisfactory explanation for.   

• Ben the Ignorant likes this

#428 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:48 AM

Spring of 1966 in a very rural area in upstate NY. I watched a red star-like object trace a perfect equilateral triangle repeatedly

In a worldwide census of unexplainable ufos over history, the orange-red sphere is the most common shape and color, maybe what you saw was one of those spheres but from a long distance so you couldn't see its shape. I once saw an orange sphere, seemingly at a very high altitude (with my 16x70), moving very slowly, with two starlike white dots at the flanks. A ufo research group tried to correlate it to anything manmade or natural but no success.

A friend's father saw another one of those orange-red spheres while spending some time at the beach, but close enough to see its shape with the naked eye, and that one moved very fast at a low altitude. It had nothing that looked like a means of propulsion. It seemed to be metallic but that's about all he had the time to notice before it flew away very quick.

The other most often seen shapes are triangles and cylinders but disks are not the number one shape despite their popularity. So the red light tracing a triangle that you saw belongs to two common categories, but not much can be done beyond classifying.

#429 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

Processed video of a dust mote inside a gimbal system sensor dome. 

Edited by jgmoxness, 10 June 2021 - 10:29 AM.

#430 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:17 PM

Processed video of a dust mote inside a gimbal system sensor dome. 

And pilots had dust motes inside their eyes, too?

• 3 i Guy likes this

#431 Mornamarth

Mornamarth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:12 AM

UFOs seems to be just the same debate over and over again. Literaly speaking "yes", I saw many UFOs and younger I was more UFOs I saw wink.gif . If by that you mean an object I didn't know, just too many. If by UFOs you mean that I saw a flying vehicle piloted by an alien race than "no, never".  So skepticism about UFOs is just about the nature of the unexplained "phenomena" and thereof that's all that can be said

#432 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:18 AM

Mornamarth, your opinion is clearly based on outdated info, you need to listen to this and research other recent info.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GcH5nuqa-0w

• oldmanrick likes this

#433 Tim Hager

Tim Hager

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Milford, CT, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

In answer to the original question:  In 55 years of observing - no never nor have any of my amateur astronomer observer friends.

#434 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:17 PM

Ben, thank you for linking this!  A very informative and interesting presentation.

To answer the original question, I have seen several things of various types that I was unable to identify, and their appearance and/or performance seemed to positively preclude them from being any commonly known object.

Rick

Edited by oldmanrick, 11 June 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• 3 i Guy likes this

#435 Mornamarth

Mornamarth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:24 PM

Mornamarth, your opinion is clearly based on outdated info, you need to listen to this and research other recent info.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GcH5nuqa-0w

Nope, that's not the point I'm sorry. Anyone knows that video and that news what do you expect

Edited by Mornamarth, 11 June 2021 - 08:44 PM.

#436 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:22 AM

Folks, all here are entitled to their opinions.  This topic is not for discussion of our opinions.

The title of the topic is  "UFOs: Have you or any of your friends experienced them?"

Let's please keep on-topic with our posts.

smp

• csa/montana and dave253 like this

#437 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:16 PM

Considering that for $1000 or less  I can buy a phone that can shoot 8K image-stabilized video and considering that the military probably has video tech an order of magnitude greater than that....

....why are ALL the videos of these objects so blurry and out  of focus???   That, to me, is the real conspiracy...

Dave

• airbleeder likes this

#438 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:07 PM

Take the famous tic-tac video as an example, the military said they show only a low resolution version of it for "security" reasons; the original high resolution file contains a much more detailed image of the tic-tac object with its clearly visible winglets. It's a big tease and frankly, it sounds elitist and stupid to keep the real deal for themselves, but sharp images of ufos exist, and some were taken from very short distances, a few hundred meters sometimes, and only a few dozen in favorable cases.

I know because I live only six or seven kilometers from an airport that used to be military only (now it's civilian freight only) during a ufo wave that lasted many months. The airfield was REGULARLY buzzed many times by strange lights that I saw with the naked eye from my window, and the admittedly scared military said on TV they saw them above the landind strip. So they had plenty of time to examine them with their binoculars, and more importantly, because NATO has all the gear it needs to have, the ufos were necessarily photographed, filmed and remote sensored with all possible equipment, at high resolution and in full spectrum.

Even if they never talked about doing it, that's a logical certainty, no one was going to waste such opportunities. But the interviewed military refused or declined to describe what they saw, the journalists didn't push the needed questions, and the hard data was never made public. 

#439 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:43 PM

I think the reason this is all in the news, is some country has some new fancy drones.

They were probably developed here in the USA.

In my opinion, The government purposely leaked unidentified object reports just in-case any other country detected new surveillance aircraft.

This way they can say we don't know what it is either, and play dumb.

Who knows? China may have caught up, and be just as technology advanced or even surpassed the USA. They may also be the source, but I really do think its a in house diversion.

If I was in a position of national security at this level, I would never leak a sighting I could not explain if I thought it may have come from another country. I think the reason that it is now in the news, is that it was purposely leaked as a distraction.

Edited by Mbinoc, 13 June 2021 - 10:28 PM.

#440 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:02 PM

I had two at the time weird un-explained experiences.

1. A few years ago, while driving down a unknown road a weird light showed up. One of my friends in the car, said "What the hell is that?" It ended up being another car on a weird curvy road, and it had one head lamp out. It really did look weird at the time! It was a combination of a dark road, big hill, and a curvy street.

2. I just recently witnessed a series of Elon Musks star link satellite's fly past. I did not know what they were, and posted the experience here. Within just a few minutes someone here had a good answer for me.

Edited by Mbinoc, 13 June 2021 - 10:30 PM.

#441 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:56 AM

I think the reason this is all in the news, is some country has some new fancy drones.

Drones are out because ufos observed by qualified personel and confirmed by radar or other insruments appeared in World War II. The Allied Forces thought they were drones from the Axis, and the Axis thought they were Allied secret new tech.

Just looking at the history of ufos clears up many theories, and just looking at current high tech country by country rules out China. China DOES NOT have any of the highest military or civilian tech in the world, why would they spy on american, russian, european and japanese tech all the time, and copy them illegally if they could develop such an ultra advanced craft?

The so-called chinese military high tech is a myth that melts away when you just look at each country's equipment instead of presuming things. It would be more probable that such very advanced tech is from Japan, the UK, Germany or France, which really have the most refined technology. Just look at who is doing the most advanced job in physics, space exploration, microbiology, weaponry, stealth aircraft and electronics.

It may surprise you but looking at the raw facts will show China has ZERO stealth fighters and bombers, they only made small numbers of STEALTHY planes that common radar can spot, and their engines are still in development because they don't perform well against western of japanese craft.

And ALL countries have been reporting ufos for decades, that's easily found info, too.

The discussion would be so much more profitable if people looked at the history and geography of things, and did a few reality checks on current "info". And not just about ufos, of course.

#442 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

Folks, again, this topic is not for discussion of why video is blurry or what tech the military of any country has.
The title of the topic is  "UFOs: Have you or any of your friends experienced them?"
Let's please keep on-topic with our posts.

smp

• csa/montana likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics