•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scintillation Monitor Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bob71741

bob71741

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Joachim/Paul - I noticed that you were having some problems getting the SSM to work. When I had to troubleshoot my build, I changed the resistor for the photodiode FROM 220 ohms TO 220K ohms so that I could use an LED flashlight to replace the sun as I was working indoors.  I used the recommended VTP4085 photodiode, which yields about 1mA out for the 10K foot candle (FC) output of the sun;changing the resistor three orders of magnitude puts the sensitivity in the range of ten FC which allows the use of household lights as a stable, indoor sun.

I have other troubleshooting  notes, but unfortunately they are not in my astronomy or electronics notebook; if I find the sheets of paper that they are written on, I'll post them. I am not a member of the other forum that you posted your problems on, but I know that you look in here.

#2 RTJoe

RTJoe

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

Thank you for the hint! Currently my devices are all working, but I'm still looking for possibilities to test the devices without real sunlight.

Currently I'm thinking about replacing the whole sensor by some simulation hardware feeding a signal with "scintillation" to the monitor. It would be useful to check not only the intensity level ("DC" part), but also the "AC" part with scintillation measurement.

Best regards,
Joachim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics